Anonymous
Years ago

Age Cut offs for Juniors

Due to the season dates being changed are junior cut offs being changed. At the moment they are October i think? will they be moved to January? Will this mean certain players may have 3 years in a year level while the switch over occurs... if it occurs?

Topic #4843 | Report this topic

supporter  
Years ago

The age cut off has always been 31st December and will not change. No one can have 3 years in a grade unless it is under 10.

Reply #55732 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

Huh? The age cut off was already December 31st. So for instance if you turned 18 on December 31st in 2006 you would've needed to play U20s for summer 2005/06 and winter 2006 even though you were only 17. If you turned 18 on January 1st 2007, you could still play U18s for winter 2006.

This has seemed to always been the case, I dont know what you're on about. I don't believe the cut off date will change.

Reply #55733 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

My understanding of what is going on.....The cut off age doesn't change - the season span is what is changing.

From next year, the summer season will no longer go over the Christmas break. So there will be a short summer season at the start of the year and then the main season will go until December.

So for example, you are turning 16 any time in 2007, you can play under 16 all of 2006.

The net effect is that the kids who have a birthday at the end of a year, will no longer be disadvantaged.

Reply #55753 | Report this post

Come In Spinner  
Years ago

Ummm, how will they no longer be disadvantaged? They still will be playing kids 9-11 months older than them the whole year!!!

Whilst they play for 2 months later, so do the older kids!!!

Reply #55758 | Report this post

Baggy  
Years ago

Even though I have been involved for a long time I still can't come to grips with a 12 year old playing under 16's which is happening now if your birthday is between now and the end of the year and you were born in 1992.
The new rule will make little difference except with the season finishing before the ned of the year at least these kids will have turned 13 and the u14 season will finish before December. I suggest though that it still is a reason albeit it minor why some kids don't play. As a coach I've seen the horror on parents faces when they bring their child out to play district basketball and as a 12 year old we tell them they are a 1st year under 16. I know it has been around for a long time, but is it the best way ?? Would it be rediculous to suggest we have age groups like football ie u10, u11, u12, u13, u14 etc etc.

Reply #55759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the horror only lasts until they have had their first game under their belt and parents then realise that they arent playing against oversize,over aged giants.
Its a mental thing not actually a physical thing.(although boys will develop at different rates but there is no way you could enforce a bylaw to cover this)
Soft excuse to disadvantage all of SA basketball community because of this.

Reply #55760 | Report this post

Baggy  
Years ago

Anonymous (55760), you're right a big part of it is mental, but to counter that I would add - I read an article several months ago (I wish I had kept a copy) which involved a survey of a lot of elite sports people in basketball, football and a few other sports. Results were that the vast majority of people at the elite level were born in the first 3 or 4 months of the year. Interestingly I did a quick survey of the birth dates at the recent U14 Nationals at Gawler and memory is less than 25% of the kids were born between July and December ? Again as a coach you tend to get more excited by the bigger kids and an 11 month difference at the age of 13 through to 16 can mean several inches in height and several kilos in weight. Again no easy answer, just some thoughts.

Reply #55762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The change of seasons was made my naive people like yourself Baggy for naive parents.

It doesn't change anything. That 12 year old will stay play against the very same people. Nothing will change. Have a look at all trial notices, they advertise each age group as including players born in one two years. Thats what happens. Someone has to be at the start of that two years, someone has to be at the end.

I was born in the second half of the year and never cared.

Reply #55777 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

The whole "but he was born in December" seems like a bit of a cop out for kids who can't cut it.

Maybe instead of lamenting the fact that you had sex 3 months too early, you could ask for extra training to improve your kids skill level.

Reply #55779 | Report this post

Baggy  
Years ago

Anonymous - I may be a lot of things but naive is not one of them. Naive as you would be aware means lacking experience or understanding. If you read my first post I said that nothing will change, so I am agreeing with you. Believe me with 2 kids in the system, been a team manager, been a coach I do understand. I am just making observations. Burying our heads in the sand to issues raised by the people who supply the children doesn't improve things.

Reply #55781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then Baggy you should do a better job explaining to those parents what playing in Under 16's really means rather then watching them walk away. Try being part of the solution rather then a bystanding observer.

Reply #55784 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Forget all the whingers who will never be happy, irrespective of how the age rules are set.

The positive to come out of the change is that it will put us on equal terms (with respect to age)with the other states.

Reply #55785 | Report this post

Geewada Wankar  
Years ago

No it wont Spinner, it will put us completely out of touch with the age rules of other states!! That's except for Vic Country, who have a competition aligned to the Calendar year.

The new season with thus only ensure that we and Vic Country will be able to start on level pegging when we play off for 15th & 16th at future national championships.

Reply #55786 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I was under the impression that the other states worked on the calendar year.

If not, what do they work on?

"15th & 16th at Nationals" Aren't you forgetting about Sturt @ U/14 Nationals??

Reply #55787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All other states work exactly as we HAVE been.

Actually almost as we have been. NSW and VIC use the Summer Season as a grading period, the Victorian system being the best exapmle.

THAT would have been the change to make. The one that has been made is only cosmetic and will only help those people on the outside of the sport and not those trying to help us keep up with the best in the country.

Reply #55788 | Report this post

Baggy  
Years ago

Anonymous - yes my apologies you are right. After 30 years of playing, coaching, being a team manager, having two kids go through the system from U10s to U20's, and a devoted fan of the game. I obviously am a typical bystanding observer.

Reply #55789 | Report this post

Baggy,

During the 80's we tried to go calander year and found that the number of forfiets and teams pulling out of the competition were much higher. The association thus moved back to the change in seasons being in October. Here are some of the reasons that you are infact ignorant of due to you not being around during this period.

1/ It is harder to have families commit to a team over summer. Trials will be in November. And the season won't start until February. (4 Months) Currently it is 2 months.

2/ People go away during January and some dont come back until just before school starts. These people will not be contactable and may decide not to continue or begin playing. This wont be known until after the first trainings. This was the main cause of teams being pulled out.

3/ Not being able to play incountry tournaments. Which usually run during term 4. Or playing out of age which is exactly what people are complaining about.

4/ Being 3 months behind in development for Natioanls Championships compared to other states. Vic country actually play odd age groups 13's, 15's, 17's and you will find that tey will be going back to the normal due to the problems it is causing those teams playing in Melbourne and Nationals.

5/ Having to select our U/20 State team when players are still in U/18 competition. You wont actually see players, playing against other people they are competiting for a position.

6/ Playing finals during Year 12,11 and 10 exams as well as during schoolies week and the Nationals Schools Basketball Championships.

So Baggy and other, do you want more associated problems. Becasue I'm sure that somebody who has been around for as long as you would understand the implications that the smaller club are having on the competiton.

How about this. How about those clubs that want to play October to September. Forestville, Sturt, Norwood, South and Southern play in their own competition during this period and the other clubs play when little Johnny feels like he can play against smaller players. Even though we will be playing against the exact same people.

Reply #55797 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Some valid points there "Been around for a while."

Too bad you finished off with a sarcastic remark obviously aimed to be seen as your last word on the matter!!!!!

Reply #55800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or Spinner maybe you should be big enough to just admit you were wrong?

Reply #55803 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

NEVER!!!!

Willing to concede that perhaps didn't consider all aspects though

Reply #55805 | Report this post

Come In Spinner  
Years ago

Yeah Spinner, we will really be on equal terms with the other states in a calender year.....

Victoria Metro (- the premier state for basketball so surely the one we should be comparing to) has begun preparations for it's grading season already. They started their "Spring Phase" (or called something similar) Oct. 7, and their grading season in Nov (after 5 or 6 Spring Phase games) ie comparable to our "summer" season in timing. Thus beginning their qualification for (hopefully) VC (winter season) starting in March.

This is fairly comparable to how we are NOW. By moving to calender year, we will be starting 3 months behind - and yet are expected to be competitive at U14 Nats, Classics (where we have just gotten our best results for many years) and Nationals despite spotting Vic Metro 3 months head start? Good luck....

And no-ones forgetting Sturt at 14 Nats - do you honestly think they would have beaten Dandenong (or even Melbourne) if they gave them 3 months head start? Perhaps try asking their coach.

Reply #55806 | Report this post

Baggy  
Years ago

Been around for a While,
Fair enough, all people want to know are the facts and experiences. If that is the experience then I can appreciate the issues you have raised and if your experience tells you it doesn't work then I can accept that. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next twelve motnhs with numbers assuming things have changed.

Reply #55808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I said baggy ... naive.

Reply #55810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you really want to play district basketball then join a club, pay your fees and do everything you can to improve your game. It doesnt matter who is on the other team or who you are playing with. All you can do is play hard.

Reply #55812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So even thoughthe season is changing to start in January and finish in Christmas the age cut offs arent changing?

Reply #55852 | Report this post

Anon,

Age cut off's cant change as they are determined by FIBA. So everybody will still be playing in the same teams thatthey have been and against the same players they always have.

Spinner,

That wasn't sarcasm. Just pointing out how wrong you are. I think that by allowing those clubs that want to play calander year to do so would be great for the competition. Let the 150 teas try and make a competition while the other 250 go about producing the best players in this State.

Reply #55885 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754