Jack Toft
Years ago

MEL v SYD May 2

If it's Sunday afternoon, it must be a Melbourne home game. It's 1 v 3 in the capital city Shakedown.

So far it's 1 all in the series and this will be a cracker. I need to ask a Cats fan how many wins Melbourne have won in a row now. Sydney have 4 and could run out of fingers, unless you're from Sunbury and have the extra one.

Melbourne do very well at hoe and have only lost 2 home games so far this season. They definitely deserve my kiss of death today

Topic #48435 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love a good Hoe.

Reply #846084 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Melbourne at home.
Think they will win.

Reply #846102 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I need to ask a Cats fan how many wins Melbourne have won in a row now.

Zero.

Oh wait ... sorry, you meant games. My bad! (As a Cats fan I've been conditioned to thinking in terms of titles) :p

Reply #846112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley out. I don't think kings have enough players left to mount a serious challenge. Should still be reasonable game though.

United by eleven.

Reply #846113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne do very well at home

Thats because they never leave Victoria.

Reply #846117 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Didn't realise Melbourne were playing all of their triple header at home this weekend. Pretty ordinary from league headquarters for mine.

Reply #846132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've left Victoria once in the past three months.

Reply #846136 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

When do they play their away games or do these not apply to United any longer?

Reply #846138 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Was wondering that too.

Reply #846139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit like Perth they don't go to NZ either

Reply #846140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll play them towards the end of the season but they have no arduous road trips or back to backs.

Reply #846141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A bit like Perth they don't go to NZ either"

Perth has played their two away games against the Breakers. That's a bit different than a three month stint at home.

Reply #846143 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Melbourne play Cairns, Illawarra, Sydney and Perth twice in the last 5 rounds.

By seasons end they will have played 26 games at John Cain arena and 2 in Bendigo. So 28 games in Victoria.

They have (until now) travelled twice since March 14 when the cup ended.

Reply #846144 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

28 out of 36 lol.
That's good at least they get 8 games out of Victoria.

Reply #846145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne getting favourable scheduling again?

#expecttheexpected

Reply #846150 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

The no Landale card might be played if Sydney win this game.

Reply #846153 | Report this post

Nix31  
Years ago

This is the 50th game of NBL in Melbourne in 70 days since the NBL hub commenced.

Reply #846155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope other clubs have made enquires with the league about United basically playing the entire season at home. It's an absolute joke. If I was an owner of another club I would not be happy. It’s hard enough to compete when they have a significantly bigger budget...this makes it nearly impossible.

Anyway, get up Sydney.

Reply #846156 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Hmmm, good idea. Can complain to the United owner and the league boss at the same time and save some money...its the same phone number

Reply #846157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^It's corrupt.

Reply #846159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs keeping sure Melbourne stay in front.

Reply #846160 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Can complain to the United owner and the league boss at the same time and save some money...its the same phone number

Joey doesn't want to talk to Melbourne about Melbourne.

Reply #846162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hard being a ref, just wish they call the same at both ends. Vickerman yells more than Gleeson.

Reply #846163 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

People need to stop sooking about the NBL Cup being in Melbourne because that's what it is amounting to.

If we want to talk corrupt Victorian-centric administration, go complain to the A(V)FL.

Reply #846164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman is by far the worst coach for yelling. Can hear him constantly. Must be irritating even for his own players...

Reply #846165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"People need to stop sooking about the NBL Cup being in Melbourne because that's what it is amounting to."

No. The NBL cup ended weeks ago and they still have barely left Melbourne since. No excuse for it.

Reply #846166 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" No. The NBL cup ended weeks ago and they still have barely left Melbourne since. No excuse for it."

Why does it matter if they end up playing 14 away games?

Reply #846167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some of their "away" games were also in Melbourne against the Breakers. Lol

Reply #846169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should at least have to travel to NZ sine they played their "away" games against the breakers at home, but of course they don't.

Reply #846171 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Because it's the NBLs fault that NZ hasn’t been viable as a home base?

Not a bone in my body likes Melbourne United, but these arguments are simply sooking for the sake of sooking.

There’s nothing wrong with Melbourne being a base for NZ for a period or NBL Cup, given the arenas and government assistance it probably made the most sense. Given that it made so much sense it’s hard to be critical.

Reply #846175 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Forde is doing a good job, now is the time to focus on coaching not the calls.

United getting some home cooking but that is to be expected

Reply #846176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because it's the NBLs fault that NZ hasn't been viable as a home base?"

Did I say that? No. I simply said that in fairness united should have to travel to NZ because they played them at home and it was called a United away game (which it obviously wasn’t).

I’m done here. Some will never acknowledge that United are favoured by the league.

Reply #846177 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Travel to NZ with what fixture mate?
Point me to the fixture where Melbourne plays NZ again?

Gotta love a backseat driver without consideration for concepts such as logistics.

And what the previous games where Melbourne members don't get access to their seats because it isn’t a United home game? Were they only to get access to 12 of the 14 games they paid for?

What you’re actually asking is for the NBL to go out of their way, logistically and financially for the sheer purpose of making life harder for United during a pandemic where logistics and financial aspect are the most important things?

How entitled are you? Get over yourself!

Reply #846178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality game

Reply #846179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue is because it isn't a balanced schedule. Teams don’t play everyone 4 times like in years past. They play some teams 4 times and others 5 times. United are playing both the Phoenix and NZ 5 times, so they can benefit by playing their away games against the Phoenix and NZ in their home state.

Reply #846180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United was on the road for most of their games at the start of the season, so yeah they have fewer away games later in the season. That's how it works actually.

Reply #846181 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

All finals to be played in Melbourne:) no road games.

Reply #846182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home court for ever followed by home cooking.

Reply #846183 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

It's only logical.
Say it's a Melb v Perth final it should be HH and if required H again for Melbourne. Save $$ on airfares.

Reply #846184 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Which makes obvious financial and logistical sense - people aren't targeting Phoenix about it they’re targeting LK as if he has this grand scheme to spend like $30 million to give his team advantage.

If he wanted to do that he could have just outspent Perth, Sydney, Brisbane’s of past and present. Then all we would hear from those fans is how they’re radically outspending everyone else without a sense of irony felt by Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns, Hawks fans about hearing rich clubs bitch about richer clubs.

There’s nothing more aggravating than entitled clubs bitching about entitlement.

Those of us whom don’t have a grand aura about ourselves and our club, we can see things a little more clearly and have more understanding than a blanket "owner of NBL club buys league and spends millions to screw Perth and Sydney".

If he wanted to do that, he’d have the money to do it without propping the entire league up.

As the decision is make purely by LK without any thought of any other factors and as if there’s a grand conspiracy, and not a whole host of employees who are just doing what is logistically optimal in an obvious challenge of a year.

What’s next conspiracy theorists, global warming is a hoax, twin towers was a gov conspiracy, moon landing was faked?

The world is flat?!

United and Phoenix played NZ in Melbourne - let’s upend everything in order to correct it to satisfy the criticisms of local hoops conspiracy theorists.

Reply #846185 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If SEM quality for the playoffs in 4th spot MEL will avoid further travel.

Reply #846186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers could have been back in NZ a lot earlier than their first home game is scheduled, well in time for the last United game..... and also the schedule has only recently been confirmed for rest of season. It's not about making things harder for United, in this case it’s about giving something to the breakers who have had zero home games and have been on the road for months.

There’s no need to be so aggressive.

Reply #846187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigger flogs in Australian basketball than Kickert?

Reply #846188 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Breakers could have been back in NZ a lot earlier than their first home game is scheduled, well in time for the last United game"

United home game - who pays back the United members for depriving them of a game they paid for?

NBL can't be moving everything at the drop of a dime the moment a bubble with NZ opens, that’s not strategically viable.

It’s not even the same as dealing with state border closures which is also very tough strategically.

It’s more important that the NBL operates properly on risk factors then it is to appease fans feeling screwed that the NBL doesn’t upend everything.

I’m glad the NBL is operating like a good administration should in planning, redundancies, considering risk factors - it’s the best way of not screwing things up like past administrations.

Reply #846189 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Has issues with his temper does Daniel. Just trying to think where we've seen it cost his team previously...

Reply #846190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings got go to nz and play twice, then fly to Perth. Brisbane had to do a five day quarantine. That's all ok United did go to Bendigo twice.

Reply #846192 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Covid sucks"

Reply #846193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a good game, Sydney ran out troops. It would be nice if Martin could show a bit other Santamaria hype. Casper has had a good season, Moller the same, double, double today, if Newley and Cooks could get back and they make finals they could trouble sides. Forde has settled down nicely for first year coach.
Melbourne just got so much depth, Perth even with magnay will battle to beat them.

Reply #846194 | Report this post

KarryLestelman  
Years ago

You all complain too much about my league.

I make basketball great again. MBGA

Basketball nothing without me.
All you say thank you.

Ps Melb is best!!!

Reply #846195 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Approximately 153km from Melbourne to Bendigo.
That is one hell of a distance , nearly 2hr drive.

Reply #846196 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

And no McGowan to close border....

Reply #846198 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

If United don't win the title this year it will be humiliating for them.

Reply #846199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Fan, you won a title with a COVID * this regular season isn't even completed and you’re crying like a bitch. No wonder everyone hates Perth.

Reply #846200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus, minus can be dodgy at times as a stat but Kickett at minus 32 is some sort of bad.

Reply #846201 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Not crying at all but Melbourne deserve an asterisk too.

Reply #846202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigger flogs in Australian basketball than Kickert?

Do the Webster brothers count?

Pinder. Froling. Wagstaff.

Reply #846204 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Gleeson is a flog and a shit coach apparently.

Reply #846205 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Tai Webster and his "flexing reminds me of Shannon Shorter.

Reply #846207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People hate Perth because they win, not because some random fan on the internet says something you don't agree with.

Reply #846208 | Report this post

Years ago

Tai Webster embarrassed himself last night carrying on like a pork chop after he blocked Cotton. Learn your place in the league mate, you can start talking trash when youve actually done something.

Reply #846216 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

It was a particularly spectacular play on a superstar of the NBL. Great to see a bit of personal expression in the game. I am not a huge fan of either Webster but I enjoyed what he did last night.

Reply #846219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There goes Dean and his Hey !!! Hey!!!! Hey hey heyyyyyy all game. He's become a joke really Hey !!!! The refs are bad true but he’s saying hey!!! On every call Hey Hey Hey hey!!! Hahahahhaha she could make a hit record "Hey"

Reply #846220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunter should have got more time than Kickett, Vadonovic, Martin, and Hutchinson struggled on D. Kings just need a few bodies back.

Reply #846221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jla sets every screen illegally, screens are a major part basketball, you are supposed to have feet around shoulder width, Jla has them a metre apart.

Reply #846222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 7'1", his shoulders are a meter apart

Reply #846233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#233 better get to your optometrist. Lol. I agree with the other bloke, his screens are illegal.

Reply #846242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You both might want to consult the rule book and check out the cylinder section and illustrations

Reply #846250 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Shoulder width" was abolished in the most recent rule update, I believe.

Reply #846252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Art 33 Diagram 5

Reply #846257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL cracked down on illegal screens 2-3 years ago, let it slip last year, and this season it's a free-for-all. I would love to hear why there has been such a change.

It's the same with hands on the ball-handler, which is now largely ignored in the NBL. Same McDaniel had a permanent armbar on Casper Ware in the second half of this game and wasn't whistled once. FIBA clarified the offensive cylinder in the off-season, it should be easier to officiate.

Reply #846258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a difference between an armbar and a hand check

Reply #846259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, the cylinder, refs got a tough job but got on to screeners who's foot width is far outside their shoulders, JLA is the worst. Barlow sets good and fair screens, others do, clamp down on the illegals.

Reply #846264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cylinder principle
The cylinder principle is defined as the space within an imaginary cylinder occupied by a player on the floor. It includes the space above the player and is limited to:
• The front by the palms of the hands,
• The rear by the buttocks, and
• The sides by the outer edge of the arms and legs.
The hands and arms may be extended in front of the torso no further than the position of the feet, with the arms bent at the elbows so that the forearms and hands are raised. The distance between his feet will vary according to his height.

Nowhere are shoulders mentioned.

Reply #846268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised no player trying to bust through a screen where the screener has overly wide stance hasn’t stood on the screeners ankle, now that could cause injuries both ways.

Reply #846285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#285 heck must be USF then

Reply #846291 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754