Jack Toft
Years ago

Melbourne v Perth May5

Game of the round has been saved for last. It's 1 v 2 in what is going to be huge. Melbourne have popped the champagne corks 11 times in a row and have the Pol Roger on ice ready for #12. What a scalp it would be.

It's one all in the series and it's all tied up on 0 points too. Perf are the ultimate white line experts. No end of season trips to Columbia, even if Cassie offers them free headphones. They seem to know when they need to win and when it comes to big games, they lift. As Darth Vader said, "strong people don't put others down, they lift them up" Perf will be looking to be the party poopers tonight.

Full Kudos to Melbourne for their run. It's easy to hold up ten fingers for a win, but only some Tasmanians can count to 12 on their fingers. We all know Melbournians are just Tasmanians on their way to Sydney.

My kiss of death is for United to get their 12, Perf to flop at the end.

Topic #48445 | Report this topic

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Melbourne at home.
United by 19.

Reply #846625 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

United are just flying at the moment. They'll win by 11.

Reply #846627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it in Melbourne? Oh yea another home game!

Reply #846629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Summed up beautifully Jack, I'll go with exactly what you have, I’ll just add United also always seem to get more rest between games, Wednesday, Sunday, Wednesday, it’s nice if you can get it.

Reply #846638 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth by 15, and Hoops.com.au chokes in a fog of smugness

In the alternative, Melbourne wins and Perth fans go nuclear giving us an unexpected finish to humanity, although not totally surprising if you're truly honest with yourself.

Reply #846689 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

MU playing too well and are so deep i cant see them losing to anyone at the moment.

United by 15+

Reply #846710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is landale playing?

Reply #846712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to see Perth winning this unless Cotton does what only Cotton can do.

Melbourne by 14.

Reply #846716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has either team got a lot to play for right now?

Reply #846765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is playing.

Reply #846766 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Melbourne would want to win to keep a little buffer between them and Perth on ladder.

Perth need to win to keep within reach of top spot and don't want to slip towards third.

Also a potential grand final preview so plenty to play for.

Reply #846772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll just add United also always seem to get more rest between games, Wednesday, Sunday, Wednesday, it’s nice if you can get it."
Well last week, United played on Wednesday and Sunday, while Perth played on Saturday. Not sure how that puts United at an advantage in this particular case...
In a league with 9 teams, it's just the nature of the draw that not all teams can play and travel at the time

Reply #846773 | Report this post

Years ago

Copeland again on commentary? I hope this is the last time.

Reply #846774 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #846776 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL are compounding their commentator appointment fails with Copeland now seemingly a regular.

Reply #846777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CG43 getting some early home cooking

Reply #846778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CG 43 home cooking at one end
Mooney clearly fouled at other and no call.
I don't support either team.

Reply #846779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought everyone loved the Copes and Gaze show?

Reply #846782 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

To a point.

Reply #846783 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

#thatawaycooking

Reply #846784 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

28/33?? I hear that right, jeez

Reply #846785 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That can't be right, surely

Reply #846786 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Don't complain about foul count, United settling for 3s and fade away shots. Typically low foul count plays

Reply #846787 | Report this post

Jatz  
Years ago

Landale & Barlow. Seriously! Defensively poor. Barlow was responsible for the run Perth made from 19-12 down. Poor passing then just leave your man & give them open shots. Just not going to work against Perth.

Reply #846788 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Okay had to check, Mooney is not 28/33
It's 18/33 from 3

Reply #846789 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Great hustle by the Cats jabroni squad to get some momentum going our way.

Reply #846790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add magney to Perth's frontline with Mooney will be a nice combo

Reply #846791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow is underrated, been better value than his brother.

Reply #846792 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's still Perth then daylight it seems no matter how much United spend.

Reply #846793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classy Vickerman

Reply #846794 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Melbourne choking hard.

Reply #846796 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Better D than most of his players are managing

Reply #846797 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

United look like a tiring away team. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Reply #846799 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, typically poor form from Vickerman. United look like garbage.

Reply #846800 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Mooney barely competing with any one for rebounds, why is United effort so low

Reply #846801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they are sooking.

Reply #846803 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Maybe they are upset over a lack of frequent flyer miles this season.

Reply #846804 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Perth got into Melbourne's heads early and put them off their game. Just doing what they do so well, and will do so right up to when they lift the trophy.

Gleeson proves again that he’s the best NBL coach by far.

Reply #846805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game on, old Perth teams would have shut this out by now.

Reply #846806 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jervis killing his own team atm

Reply #846807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Aylen, at least pretend

Reply #846808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs are helping the United out...

Reply #846809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a horrible call on Jervis.

Reply #846810 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

20 point lead gone, disappointing.

Reply #846811 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

8 minutes of bonus

Reply #846812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still find it hilarious Landale thinks he's NBA material

Reply #846813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding & Landale should be investigated for having money on Perth

Reply #846814 | Report this post

Jatz  
Years ago

Melbourne playing like an under 12's team. Bad passes, turnovers, poor shots & defense.
Call it now. When push comes to shove Perth are just too good.
They win the Championships

Reply #846815 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Magnay is hopefully enjoying this one from his hotel room. He's such a good decision maker.

Reply #846816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth just own the United.

Reply #846817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale might be a certainty for Australia but Mooney has kicked his arse. Landale whining to refs not a good look either.

Reply #846818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney showing why he's the best center in the league & it’s not even close.

Reply #846819 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Feels like only one team actually wanted to win this one.

Reply #846821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney > Landale

Reply #846823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive win for Perth in front of the Melbourne crowd and his friend.

Reply #846824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

History tells you Perth raise it up against the United. This is a playoffs version of the cats so the United got a reality check.

Reply #846825 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Damn that was sweet

Reply #846826 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yet another airball from three by United. Classic.

Reply #846827 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

First year out of college Mooney is a beast, shame he probably doesn't have the genetics to fit into a role on a modern NBA roster.

Sure Europe will snap him up.

Reply #846828 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Mooney

Reply #846829 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Melbourne probably just tired from the strenuous commute down the M2 every week, must be taxing.

Reply #846830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We just saw the playoffs defensive version of the cats defense. This is why United mentally don't have what it takes to beat this team

Reply #846831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently they missed the tram to the stadium and got stuck at the station for an extra four minutes. I blame fatigue.

Reply #846832 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Time for the Wildcats to set Mooney up with a local woman, lock him in like we did with Cotton.

Reply #846834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as we keep it at one woman, unlike the Jermaine Beal approach

Reply #846835 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Mooney is NBL's version of prime Kevin Love. Owned Jock. Legit has a claim at MVP.

Reply #846836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is that loser who was saying Gleeson was a shit coach, his time outs were shit, probably still at home with his head shoved up his ar..!

Not a Perth supporter but that was clinical. Has to be the next Australian coach after Goorj, he's still young enough.

United beaten all over the floor.

Reply #846837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was there a united crowd? Where's LV? Also the reefing in the last, 8 fouls in 2.20 of game time, it took most of the quarter for the quality of basketball to marginally recover, they really needed to get out of the game at that point.

Reply #846839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney called Cotton the best in the NBL which is valid but he is not far behind if at all. You add Magney that's some big 3

Reply #846840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Cotton in such a bad shooting slump, Mooney is the more valuable player at the moment.

Reply #846842 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cotton is bricking his threes but still a huge positive contributor.
I'm not gonna agree with any praise of Mooney though. Dude is just a pure competitor and I love him.

Reply #846843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love for Magnay to sign with United just to piss off the poms sorry perth fans. Got confused they both whinge a lot.

Reply #846844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sick burn after we just beat the top team!

Reply #846845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Wildcats fan that was probably the most enjoyable win of the season. Mostly because it was so unexpected: I had tipped Melbourne by 20.

Reply #846846 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Juuuust pump the brakes a little guys, it's one game with plenty more to go.

United are going to as tough as hell come playoff time and if the Magnay thing does indeed happen, we can just pray that it doesn't mess up the chemistry with Mooney. Damn that was an enjoyable win though.

Reply #846847 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Was fully expecting the cats to get smashed this game.

Love it when the reverse phsych trick works on the universe to prove me wrong :)

Reply #846851 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth demonstrated why they've won 5 titles in 7 years

Disciplined defense, played the percentages, rebounded hard. Unselfish offence with everybody knowing their role and the big guns executing. Tonight that was Mooney.

United were atrocious. They were due a bad game and damn, was that bad.

CG sloppy as, and no one else stepped up offensively at all other than JLA and Landale in moments of the 1st. They were dismantled, shut down and gradually lost confidence to the point where it was all just iso ball or drive, dish and shoot a somewhat contested three because no other options presented.

Their first loss with a relatively healthy roster I think. (Missing one or none).

Reply #846852 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lol at whoever said Landale not close to Mooney

Been fairly even between them this season, Mooney looks better statistically but that's mainly cos he plays 34 or 35 minutes a game and Landale plays 28 or 29. Minute for minute it's pretty even and both guys been hugely important on the top 2 teams.

This one might be decided in the playoffs, with JLA and Magnay nice sidekicks on the undercard, and Cotton vs United's legion of guards the other main event.

Reply #846853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great when LV is able to provide detailed statistical analysis as above but completely ignoring questions posed to him in other threads which he has no answer for.

Reply #846854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name one thing Landale does better than Mooney?

Defense - Mooney easily. Landales one of the worst defensive C's in the league.
Offense - pretty even but I’d still go Mooney
IQ - once again Mooney easily. Landale makes too many boneheaded plays & is a black hole in the post

Reply #846855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale can talk shit and put undue pressure on his teammates better than Mooney

Reply #846856 | Report this post

Kevin Booth  
Years ago

diabolical crowd numbers.

Reply #846859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney is way better then jock and it's not close. Sorry LV. And the United salary cap cheaters will get their arses kicked by Perth in the playoffs.

Reply #846860 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

diabolical crowd numbers.

I didn't really pay attention to how many were there, but credit where it's due - the ones that turned up certainly made a lot of noise

Reply #846861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jock is very good, Mooney is very good. It's difficult to compare when they are playing in different systems. I imagine we would see more from Landale if he was in Perth, both as a byproduct of cotton and the system. Having said that Mooney is playing with cotton like they were teammates for years, its quiet special.

Reply #846862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Wildcats' system allows Mooney to be more opportunistic. I rate Landale higher to make something from nothing. Landale is a better rim protector, but not generally a wise/high percentage defender. I think Landale's physique gives him a high ceiling, but may lack some insight for defensive development.

I still wouldn't read too much into this game. Plenty of dominant teams have a bad game after a long run of success. I do wonder if United's offence lacks focus, with so many good options. They might have more success with more structure.

I think Bryce's shooting action looks off. To me, looks like he's second guessing himself. He's had patches of poor form before, but never looked this out of rhythm. I thought this would happen, given how much they relied on him in the first half of the season. Without him hitting jump shots, I don't think they can win the championship. The role players rely on him to get the good looks. As much as their front court could use help, they are also weak on the wing. Norton and Steindl aren't scaring anyone these days.

Reply #846865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has had the Uniteds number for a while now and I doubt things are going to change in the playoffs especially if Perth grab top spot with HCA. They are the best team in the league.

Add big Magney and they become even more dangerous

Reply #846868 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I loved seeing the Wildcats show other teams in the league ways to dismantle United as that should make for a far more ending to our season rather than seeing the top team go on a Bullets type run in the way to the title.

United was atrocious and Vickerman is a tool but seriously, why didn't Hopson get up a shot until the 3rd quarter, he has came into this game looking quite damaging and I feared his impact coming off the bench.
I like Goulding but commentators turn me off him by mentioning his every bowel movement but this game he looked so disinterested that even the commentary stopped singing his praises.

I think Landale is better than Mooney but maybe that's because I want to see Mooney as a battler which is fitting of his game that is so full of effort whereas Landale doesn't feel he needs to impact the game as much as Mooney, I'd have loved to see him playing at Cairns this season with their big man woes and the fight that would come from Landale to prove his worth. Right now my All NBL first team big men are Mooney and Finn Delaney (Vic Law was more impressive and I think Martin and Humphries look like they could dominate also with an injury free season) but Landale just doesn't look hungry enough to dominate games and should that be acceptable for All NBL 1st team? Finn on the other hand looks like his busting his arse trying to get his team over the line and I love that desire and he seems smarter this season than previous with less silly fouls.

Reply #846870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks to United for our free tickets we had a great night with the family despite the result...even better they moved us right down in the lower tier which was awesome.

It was hard to tell on the TV but the only disappointing thing was it was a pretty small crowd with the top section empty hopefully less mid week games and more weekend games will get people back to the games as the atmosphere certainly suffers when the crowd is small like that

Reply #846877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah people talk about Melbourne's advantage from more home games, but I reckon they'd take the usual 14 with 8-10K there making a heap of noise rather than extra games with 2-4K there and the place being a library.

Reply #846879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"they'd take the usual 14"

while taking your point, the usual is 16 - they play away to Phoenix in Melbourne

Reply #846881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United gets the ticket revenue for Phoenix home games? Damn that's a sweet deal.

Reply #846883 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Both Mooney and Landale are top tier players in the league.

I don't have the stats with me but both are good in their own right.

Mooney is a much better rebounder and has a nose for the ball.
Landale is a better shot blocker.
Both can score, Landale looks more comfortable from the outside but Mooney's percentages with less attempts is incredible.

Mooney is younger and I could have a higher ceiling, he seems slow but had good IQ and a penchant for rebounding.
Landale is more established and potential more rounded game now.

I don't know either's ceilings.

Who would you build your team around?

I would say Landale only because he is a local and Mooney take up an import slot.

Reply #846931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem with United is that their top players play defence but it's not elite, Goulding, Landale, JLA, Hopson, all are suspect when the blow torch is applied, certainly when on together. I was surprised they started Landale and JLA, offensively great but both can get beat at the tough end.

Reply #846945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see anyone beating Perth in a series

Reply #846955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754