Royba
Years ago

Boomers prospects at this point

Ok it's not far away.
Baynes has not played much and appears a shadow of last year.
Dante is probs out calf injury.
Delly is out for season concussion.
Patty is a bit hot and cold.
Broekoff has injuries and not playing much.
Landale knee problem.
Thon not playing and non event anyway.
Simmonds,Thybule and Joe may go very deep in finals.
Bolden who?
Cotton not one of us yet.
Holy shit if I'm Gorge I'm not feeling confident.
What are your thoughts guys?

Topic #48453 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden is now an crypto trader not a basketballer.

Reply #847006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Dellavedova
Cotton
Creek
Maker
Magnay

2 from
Goulding, Sobey, green, Exum, Giddey, Broekhoff, Motum, Kay, Humphries

Out already
Wmw, Mccarron, Adel, cooks, Reath

Reply #847007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, that list ain't that strong anymore.

Reply #847009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding and green I'd say the extra 2, simmons also at 4

Reply #847011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The apparent decline of Baynes is possibly the biggest concern.

Mills has been trundling along; I think they just minimise his minutes to put time into upcoming players?

Reply #847024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has Maker ever done to show he's any good, had so many opportunities. Unless they pick players who are playing and in form we won’t get out first round.

Reply #847025 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Swap Maker for Kay, then Sobey (Goulding looks done) and Humphries or Motum whomever works better if Baynes struggling

Reply #847026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker at fiba level vs spaced out nba is different.

Reply #847027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons wont play.
Watch

Reply #847028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker is not playing, hasn't for a fair while. What has he done to even get a mention for selection, let at all get selected.

Maker at fiba level, lmao, when has played at fiba level, don’t tell me against the Philippines, he hardly played and wasn’t a star.

Reply #847032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you would have Kay who's been exposed in Spain?

Reply #847033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay avg 8 n 5

Reply #847034 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

It's a genuine question of whether playing very little but training against NBA talent is better preparation than playing in Europe or NBL. It's sad to see Thon and Bolden essentially become irrelevant waiting for an NBA contract.

Reply #847036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They aren't sitting waiting, they still train everyday

Reply #847037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, exposed lol.
Kay plays more time than anyone else on his team, yes his stats are down, that's because he’s a team first player and plays defence.

He’s on big money, won’t rule him out of playing in Australia again but it will be big coin.

Reply #847039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean the same Nick Kay that took Landales minutes at the World Cup?

Reply #847041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The WC is not the olympics, the best are coming.

Reply #847042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mention of Thybule. Surely he has to make the squad over Creek?

Reply #847043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not with cotton available soon.

Reply #847044 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

NBA form doesn't always translate to Boomers form and vice versa. As such, Baynes inability to perform at the Raptors isn't of much concern to me as far as the Boomers go. He will fit back into the Boomers mould like a glove - Patty too. If you think this is going to be the tournament where Patty is anything short of a leading scorer again, you have another thing coming.

Dante Exum was never on my Boomers team. He'd get injured boarding the flight. I wont pencil him into any Boomers team until he can play a season healthy. You're not going to see Maker or Bolden. Delly will be given every chance to prove his fitness and I expect he'll still make the team and play an important role. Not worried about Broekhoff. If he is healthy, he will do what he always does - put the ball in the ring. Cotton almost definitely will be naturalized by the time Tokyo hits. Landale's injury is minor and he's just played his first game back with United.

Where this gets interesting is Simmons and Ingles. Ingles said he doesn't care what happens, he'll be on this Boomers team, and I think that's a promise he'll keep. But I don't expect such loyalty from Simmons. If there's a Kartrashian he wants to chase around like a lost puppy in the off season then that is likely what he will do.

If Simmons and Ingles do play and come in late, it certainly throws all of the preparation into a flux. But we're still looking at the most talented team we've ever assembled, and many other countries will be feeling the burn just as we are. Two of our group opponents will have to qualify without their NBA players. There is a lot going on. Some players will choose not to play due to Japan's handling of Covid 19. I think on that front, we have a higher chance of keeping players willing to fight the cause that other nations.

If Delly or Simmons is out, Cotton, Giddey and McDowell-White move up the chain of command. You'd certainly want at least one or the other on the team or things do look pretty grim but I expect we will have at least that much.

Reply #847046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delusional to think wmw or Giddey are ready.

People forget goorjan is the coach not lemanis.
Goorj likes athletes, defenders, 1 on 1
Lemanis does not care for athletes and he prefers team players.

Ultimately Gleeson should have been the guy.

Reply #847047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj had Adel, he's an athlete that didn’t work out to well.

Reply #847048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes/Landale/Humphries
Simmons/Kay
Ingles/Creek/Broekhoff
Mills/Cotton
Dellavedova/McCarron

Reply #847049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I be,ke even Adel is gone, atleast goorj had the balls to not keep him.

Reply #847050 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With the short preparation time, it's a good thing the Boomers are in a position where they have a core group who have all played under the same head coach for several years, who will be running exactly the same system, so everyone already knows their roles and can slot back in on short notice.

Oh wait.

Reply #847051 | Report this post

^ I don't imagine that will be too much of a big deal as Steve Kerr mentioned in the recent USA/Aus series the boomers have been running mostly the same sets since 2012 when Brett Brown was running things. Plus with limited prep time Goorj is a smart enough guy not to change too much.

Reply #847053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys have Creek and Macarron in over one of the best defenders in the NBA. There is no way an undersized Mitch is in over Thybule. Why have Macarron when you have Delly; Simmons and Patty as well as Ingles as a point forward. With Simmons and Thybule on the court we have two of the best defenders in the world and apart from the US will lock down the other teams best players

Reply #847054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it up Thybulle doesn't do anything special. Cotton will go.

Matisse is averaging 4/2/1 in 21 mins. When cotton can be replaced, Matisse is an option, only then.

Reply #847055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek n Thybulle are both 6'5 nitwit.

Reply #847057 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

I think a few things we need to consider when picking these hypothetical teams is that we shouldn't be doing so like we might pick if given the chance, instead we should be picking the team based how goorj will pick the side.

With that being said, I know the diehard nbl fans here love him but considering the bloke isn’t nationalised then don’t even bother with cotton as he currently isn’t even able to be picked.

Also as a side note part of me feels goorj will love thybulle as the bloke is legitimately an all defense candidate in the nba and I think he’ll love green.

Also genuinely curious, why do people on here not think twice when the likes of delly, baynes, broekhoff etc stink it up in the nba but instantly say they’re locks for the team, but when it’s maker and exum all of sudden they’re not ready or good enough. And if the response to that is 'the others are proven at international levels’ then yes but that’s only because they’ve gotten the chance whereas between injuries and opting not to play, exum and maker haven’t gotten the same chance.

And sorry if this seems like I’m kicking a dead horse but please stop this nonsense (I’m not saying this because I think exum, maker and Thybulle should make the team, in fact out of those 3 I think Thybulle is the only clear one who should make the boomers side), with ‘guy hasn’t been too good in the nba, he shouldn’t be in the boomers team’ as buy that logic then only Simmons, Ingles and Mills would make the team. And especially avoid this idiotic type of statement as there have been plenty of talented aussies who either did basically nothing in the nba or weren’t even given the chance but still we’re good to great for the boomers, and to get to the nba is an achievement in itself, let alone being able to be on rosters and train with the best talent and then even more so if you get to actually be a rotation player and so on and so forth.

Reply #847058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Musk, I'm pretty sure Baynes has proved himself, at Boston and Phoenix. His poor form ar raptors shouldn’t discount him from boomers form.
Thybulle is still young, an elite defender but has not proved himself hence why his minutes continue to diminish. With time, I think he will improve on all areas. His time is 23/24 WC/olympics imo and beyond. Green is showing glimpses, but I’m not sure he is even ready until 23/24.

Reply #847059 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that Thybulle is a Goorj-style player. Had four blocks and three steals in 20 minutes today, admittedly against Houston.

Reply #847060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

21/22
Simmons/Dellavedova
Mills/Cotton/Goulding
Ingles/Creek/Broekhoff
Landale/Maker or Kay
Baynes/Magnay or Humphries

23/24
Simmons/Exum/Giddey
Mills/Cotton
Thybulle/Green/Creek
Landale/Maker
Magnay/Humphries

mills will still have the stamina to keep going at 35 I think, certainly less minutes though.
Cotton n creek both 32-33 at this stage. The rest will be 23-30y.o

Reply #847061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton or thybulle^ still a toss up in 23/24

Reply #847062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth is both should be available given what's happening with Nigeria

Reply #847063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker will be in this team, the man put his body on the line in the Phillipines

Reply #847064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden worked out he wasn't very good at basketball and he wasn't a chance of making the roster anyway

Reply #847066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton wont play.

Reply #847067 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Deciding Cotton Vs Thybulle now is crazy. Both would be in a final squad of 15 and then it comes down to last minute availability / injuries. Lets not repeat 2019 with making hard cuts weeks out only to have to add a player who wasn't ever going to make it just because he was there.

Reply #847068 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

If Cotton doesn't make it and Thybule is in I'd take Sobey instead of Creek.

Reply #847071 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

I think most guys will make themselves available. I don't think Exum makes it due to injury.

And Simmons pulling out should be the same odds as Mills playing. Simmons doesn't care about the Australian team and won't be there.

Reply #847073 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Why Thon Maker? Look to the future not the never was.

Reply #847077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't imagine that will be too much of a big deal as Steve Kerr mentioned in the recent USA/Aus series the boomers have been running mostly the same sets since 2012 when Brett Brown was running things."

They certainly have not!! Lemanis brought his own system in that was significantly different to Brown's.

Reply #847099 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Simmons, Dellavedova
Mills, Thybulle or Cotton.
Ingles, Broekhoff
Landale, Kay or Motum
Baynes, Humphries or Magnay

Two spots left for a 3rd point guard and a shooting guard or small forward player.
Simmons can play in forward spots at times.
Exum, Giddey, McCarron, Green and Creek all in contention for final two spots.

Fast forward to 2024 ...Mills and Ingles might have one last go in them depends on their bodies over next 3 years.

Plenty of young talent to take the team forward Giddey will be 22.
Simmons 28, Exum 29, Thybulle 27. Cotton will be 32 . Landale 29, Magnay and Humphries both 26. McDowell White also 26.

Reply #847101 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Simmons, Dellavedova
Mills, Thybulle or Cotton.
Ingles, Broekhoff
Landale, Kay or Motum
Baynes, Humphries or Magnay

Two spots left for a 3rd point guard and a shooting guard or small forward player.
Simmons can play in forward spots at times.
Exum, Giddey, McCarron, Green and Creek all in contention for final two spots.

Fast forward to 2024 ...Mills and Ingles might have one last go in them depends on their bodies over next 3 years.

Plenty of young talent to take the team forward Giddey will be 22.
Simmons 28, Exum 29, Thybulle 27. Cotton will be 32 . Landale 29, Magnay and Humphries both 26. McDowell White also 26.

Reply #847102 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Oops double post.
If Sobey was available I would definitely include him in 2021 team.

Reply #847103 | Report this post

Different system yes, but a number of the plays they run, they've been running before Lemanis took over. That comes from the main 5 guys or so playing together for the last decade or so.

Reply #847109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's see how many players decide to sit out with various reasons. Cambage being the first.

Reply #847110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles ain't making 24 olympics.

Reply #847111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garbage, I mean Cambage has already started lobbing the excuses not to attend
https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/liz-cambage-threatens-to-boycott-olympics-over-team-photo/news-story/79bbf4e1bd7fb3fe0d48f85c41b865ff

Reply #847112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think holding them is a nonsense, Japanese people are against it, they are in a third wave. I'd understand any player pulling out. The authorities should make it simple a can it. I can’t see the best players in the world attending, from most countries.

Reply #847118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz Cabbage will probably want to play for the boomer cause you know like fairness...

Reply #847124 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"why do people on here not think twice when the likes of delly, baynes, broekhoff etc stink it up in the nba but instantly say they're locks for the team, but when it’s maker and exum all of sudden they’re not ready or good enough"

Probably because maintaining the Boomers core is very important for our chances of a medal. Chemistry matters. Exum's role was never well established, while Maker has played all of 2 Boomers games on our B-team.

Reply #847158 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Anon059, I'm not disagreeing with you but my point was more about the present as by the same standards delly hasn’t been good in the nba for like 5 years, so I understand the point of they’re already proven but in regards to currently why do immediately discount the likes of exum and maker. In regards to Thybulle, if anything his minutes have gone up since he was out of the rotation in the first 5 games or so and is now frequently getting time off the bench for one of the best teams in the league. Hope I’m not coming across as a smart ass just curious what your thoughts about delly and broekhoff one the similar manner you mentioned baynes.

Rjd, your point about the core and chemistry is a good one especially with the shorten prep time this go round, however considering the talent we now have access to, is broekhoff and even delly to a lesser extent apart of the core of the tea? As if Simmons plays it’s very likely delly loses a lot of his minutes to the him. I understand the importance of chemistry so I’m not trying to suggest let’s not bring delly or broekhoff, all I’m asking is why do immediately jump to exum and maker can’t be in the team when as you precisely said, they haven’t had the same chance at competing at multiple senior men tournaments( I mean actual ones of importance like the World Cup and Olympics not random qualification games)

Reply #847320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath ABA side into the final. He played one minute in a 20 plus point win. He has either had a falling out or not that good. Very limited time all season.

Reply #847841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of people on podcasts sayin

Simmons - Dellavedova
Mills - Goulding - Green
Ingles - Creek
Thybulle - Kay - Maker
Baynes - Landale

S5 has Simmons guarding the 4, Thybulle the 2, mills the 1.

Toss up between creek n Broekhoff but it's clearly creek atm.

Reply #850964 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754