Jasmine
Years ago

Peter Ali's 1-Game NBL Coaching Career

I was looking through the all-time NBL coaching records on Wiki today and noticed Peter Ali coached (and won) one NBL game. Does anyone know when this happened?

The first two things that popped in my mind was maybe he coached when Cole was briefly fired at the end of the 1986 season or when Shipway was suspended two games in 1992 for slapping a fan. Did a bit of research and found out Cole was replaced in 1986 by Shipway (who was an assistant) and Shipway was replaced in 1992 by Albert Leslie (also an assistant).

So, does anyone know how Ali ended up coaching a game?

Topic #48461 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

who what huh

Reply #847247 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

100% record.

Reply #847249 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

He might have been player-coach for a game during West's time in the NBL?

Reply #847328 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That would be my guess. A game Ken Richardson missed while he was player-coach most likely.

Reply #847476 | Report this post

Statman84  
Years ago

Sure do Jasmine. I've got this one.

Peter was the Player-Coach for West Adelaide Bearcats in their first game (12/02/1983) of the 1983 NBL season - a 107 - 75 win against the Brisbane Bullets.

Not sure of the reason for him coaching, but after that game, Ken Cole took over. Ken wasn't available for some reason I guess.

If you have the old Coaching Records document the NBL published on their website 10 years ago, it shows the For and Against points for each coach. Makes it really easy to pinpoint which game they coached when it was only a small number of games, especially when you know who they coached.

And no, I am not Mark 'Statman' Slocombe from the NBL. I am just a stat nerd myself.

Reply #847493 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Thanks a bunch Statman84!! Much appreciated.

And thanks for letting me in on your secret. I can't believe I didn't think to use points for/against to work these things out. Amazing!

Reply #847758 | Report this post

Statman84  
Years ago

No worries Jasmine.

On a related topic, I have almost sorted out the coach of every single game. Literally have about 4 guys left, their for and against are a little out for my liking.

I have been using newspapers.com to check old newspaper articles and that helped me a lot. I've used the free week trial with multiple email addresses, haven't had to pay for a thing.

Not sure if we can PM each other on here or publish our email addresses, because I could help you out a lot more if you are researching that.

Reply #847897 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754