Isaac
Years ago

Cam Oliver signs 10-day with Houston Rockets

This comes after the Taipans released him from contract for the remainder of the season due to complications with his wife's pregnancy. He's contracted to Cairns for the next NBL season.

Sporting News:

Oliver is signing a 10-day contract with the Rockets, which will take him through the rest of the regular season, which ends on May 16, with just five games remaining on the schedule.
The 24-year-old originally signed with the Rockets in 2017-18 as an undrafted free agent, but did not make the team after suffering a hand injury in training camp.

Topic #48470 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmmm so he's gone home to be with his wife and now he’s signed a 10 day with the Rockets. Seems a bit fishy to me

Reply #847453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be good, good luck to him.

Reply #847454 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Surely nobody is surprised by this? His agent is a dog.

Reply #847458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is his agent?

Reply #847460 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Moldovan.

Reply #847464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm, so the old bait and switch.

Reply #847466 | Report this post

Years ago

Did Cairns force him to pay $70,000 before they released him to play for Houston?

Reply #847469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that big of an issue imo. Has gone over for family reasons and to be with his wife, then gets offered a 10 day contract. 10 days of work in the same country is a lot different to being on the other side of the globe for months.

Reply #847471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being away from your wife whether overseas or in the same country is still being away from your wife

Reply #847473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being in the NBA is a lot different to the NBL too.

Reply #847484 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He would have had an NBA out clause so I am not sure what is so fishy about all this. He happened to be over there, got offered 10 days of work to follow a dream, his wife is still months away from the expected pregnancy. I mean, what of it?

What this proves, once again, is you don't have to be tearing the NBL a new anus to make the NBA. A lot of it comes down to right place, right time, and who you know, unless of course you're one of the top 100 or so players on the planet. Good luck to him. He's another flying the NBL/Australian banner in the NBA and it does our league a lot of favours.

Reply #847486 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Don't hate on Space Cam. The guy has an opportunity he’s been waiting for his whole life.

Reply #847506 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Wife having birth complications and being in another country is a huge issue at any time and especially now when you dont know how international flights will be affected. Taking up an opportunity to compete at the highest level, that presents itself because you happen to be back in the country is what anyone would do. Any hate here is ludicrous.

Reply #847515 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wish Cam all the best in his NBA stint.

Hopefully he can show enough to be signed for next season.

Not sure where all the negativity is coming from.

If anyone here were playing professional basketball in a hole like Cairns then get a contract to play for H-Town, who would turn it down?

Reply #847516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at people calling this fishy.

Why would he need to make up lies to take up a contract with Houston? He would've had an NBA out clause and Cairns aren't close to the playoffs anyway

Reply #847533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once he got back to the States to be close to his wife during a complicated pregnancy, wouldn't one of them have to earn money to support themselves? And wouldn't he be the more likely of the two to go out and work? And wouldn't the work would have to be in the USA? And wouldn't he ask his agent to look for pro basketball openings, rather than in the 711 store help wanted ads?

Reply #847534 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cheapest 10-day is almost AU$80k, so hard to begrudge him that opportunity.

Maybe if he didn't have an NBA-out, caught wind of the chance of a 10-day, and used the pregnancy line to bail. Even then, Cairns aren't contending and presumably save some money.

Reply #847544 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The real question though is next season. When Oliver left the NBL/Taipans made sure to mention that he was under contract to the Taipans for next season, he re-signed to a 2 year deal before this season.

However, to be able to sign with Houston it means the Taipans have officially released him because he would need his FIBA clearance to have gone through. Which means he will be a free agent after this 10 dayer and thus no contract with the Taipans next season.

Perhaps they're crossing their fingers and hoping he will honour the original deal and come back but I did notice at the time he left Cairns he specifically never said he would ever be returning.

Reply #847546 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

However, to be able to sign with Houston it means the Taipans have officially released him because he would need his FIBA clearance to have gone through. Which means he will be a free agent after this 10 dayer and thus no contract with the Taipans next season.

This is what I don't understand about professional contracts.

Example 1) Mitch Creek finished the Sixers season, went to Europe and played, should have been released to play with his German team. Yet somehow Sixers still had his rights when he was in the US? Why didn't the Sixers exercise those rights in Europe?

Example 2) Will Magnay finished the Bullets season and went to play in the US, for G League and NBA, shouldn't he have been released from his contract, especially if what was posted on the news is true and the Magnay family had to scrape together $70k to buy his clearance.

If clearance has been sought and paid for, why did Brisbane have his rights again when he came back?

Example 3) Hugh Greenwood wanted out of Perth and to the Crows, that was a clear break but Nick Marvin made a point about him not being able to come back to the NBL 'and sign with Melbourne United' (which I took to mean any team but United being stacked with money).

Reply #847564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would certainly have an NBL contract with Cairns for next season, so if he's in Australia he would have to play with the Taipans.

It's also possible he has signed an agreement to return to Cairns if not in the NBA. If he wanted to, he could try and ignore this and sign elsewhere, then things would be a bit messy and the Taipans would have to decide whether to pursue.

Reply #847576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13 and 10 in his debut

Reply #847621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did good, Tate as well.

Still no game time for Didi.

Reply #847644 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nice 360 dunk by Cam in only his second NBA game. It even was trending on Twitter earlier today.

Reply #847987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks asthough fitting on well. Doubt we will see Oliver.

21/22?
Machado(i)/Dufelmeier
Newbill(i)/King/Djeric
Noi/Ngatai
Deng/Jois/Krslovic
(i)/Jawai

Cut
Kenny
Blagojevic

Maybe pickup Adel.

Reply #847988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockets beat writer thinks Cam Oliver will be offerd an contract for next season. Not surprising given how well he played.John Mooney is next in my opinion after the wildcats win another ring. He could be a very good NBA player

Reply #848121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He ain't coming back.

Reply #848398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754