Anonymous
Years ago

Adelaide Juniors weekend of 14,15,16 May

I understand that this coming weekend there is to be a grading tournament of sorts, ie to work out which teams qualify for classics and the like. If this is correct any idea when there might be a fixture released or any info at all for that matter.

Topic #48472 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep pretty poor considering it's Monday and it’s starts Thursday.
Don’t worry about giving families time to organise themselves.
Have to wonder what they’re thinking and doing!?

Reply #847508 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

The schedule is up

Reply #847514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I' am new to this, is anybody able to please share a link?

Reply #847517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. A link would be great
I've googled and tried basketball sa website and couldn’t locate.

Reply #847523 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

https://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4010-0-0-0

Reply #847529 | Report this post

Bela  
Years ago

https://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?client=1-4010-0-588975-0&pool=1&action=ROUND&round=0

Reply #847531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it poor? Div 1 teams all knew they were in it. Schedule could not be released until seedings were done. Seedings couldn't be done until after the last round, which was only last Friday.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of BSA either, but some of you just look for reasons to complain.

Reply #847532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is poor. Nothing stopping them sorting this all over the weekend. Most Div 1 teams train on Sundays, if they had any concept of how to service members at a high level they would have had the fixture available then.

Given the draw isn't home and away the fixture itself could have been done weeks ago and the teams just dropped in. So there's no excuse for such a delay.

Oh and the Pool seedings have been done incorrectly, just what we'd expect from such an unqualified staff.

Reply #847535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Explain your concept of incorrectly.

Not to your liking does not equal incorrectly.

Seriously, quit complaining. You must be a real drag in person.

Reply #847536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrectly meaning there's a way to seed for two pool competitions that creates the best outcome come finals.

They have not done this. It isn't personal like all BSA staff always think it is. It's just facts. If you knew how to seed you would already have been able to work that out for yourself.

Reply #847540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

540 if you knew that seedings had been done the way they were this year, for many many years until relatively recently, then you wouldn't have so much egg on your face.

There is a good reason for reverting back to this way but with your blinkers on it's too hard for you to see, so there's no point.

Good luck with your future complaining champ.

Reply #847542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you know they're wrong but had a go. Sounds right. Thanks for the feedback BSA but they're not corrected, they're wrong. Wasn't a recent change, was a change made 3 Comp Managers ago because it created the correct Semi Final match ups. This system does not. Sorry but that's the best outcome.

Reply #847543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

543 what are you on about? No they're not wrong at all. They both create the same semi final matchups. Comprehension is not a strong point with you is it?

Whinge, whinge, whinge...give it up will you?

Reply #847547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not whinging, I'm pointing out that there's an error. One you also don't seem to understand. As you're probably from BSA or connected to BSA Staff that doesn't at all surprise me.

Reply #847550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What exactly is the error?

Looks right to me.

Pool 1: 1,4,5,8,9
Pool 2: 2,3,6,7,10

Reply #847551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

550, for the millionth time, there is no error. Give it a rest.
No I'm not from BSA or connected with them at all. I just get sick of the negativity that people like you seem to enjoy putting out there.

The change (reverting back to how it used to be - NOT an error) has no bearing on semi-final matchups. You are making no sense.

I'll leave you to it champ. You can complain to yourself from here on.

Reply #847552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#847551 So with Pools as you've listed, assuming teams win games as per their seed, Tell me who plays who come SFs.

Reply #847553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct,

It should be;

That way 4 and 5 play to make semi-finals, while 3 only has to beat 6.
Then 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 in semi finals.

Reply #847555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now I have no idea what change 552 is even refering to.

Reply #847557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#551 is correct.

Reply #847558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he's not. That's what they have done but that's not how the pools should be seeded. Which would have been resolved prior to the tournament if BSA released details publicly.

Reply #847559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

555 the flip side is that there is no reward for finishing first, as you have a harder pool game (v3) than team 2 has (v4). Yes 1 also gets 6 rather than 5 but there is a trade off either way.

There is no right or wrong way, it's just two different ways of doing it.

Both have been used by BSA in the past.

Reply #847560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So now the #1 seed has the harder SF. Which is much more important than the pool game. WHich they can still get through by beating everyone else. Lose the SF and they're done. Hence the easier SF is more important. BSA has it wrong.

Reply #847561 | Report this post

Old truth  
Years ago

Actually

The correct format adopted previously by BSA is;

Pool A 1,3,6,8,9
Pool B 2,4,5,7,10

The counter-argument here is that if there are only 9 teams then team 1 plays an extra game prior to the semi-finals. This method was used for the last 15 years approximately.

I agree with #561. That they have an easier path through to the finals with only having to beat 6 and 8. And that should give them the preferred semi-final matchup of 4.

Reply #847562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further question is, does this mean that there will be a state champ later in the year? Or do the d2 teams miss out this year?

Reply #847783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't a State Champs. There's no awards, no trophies.

Purely an event for seeding for U14 Nationals and Classics.

If State Champs goes ahead, it will be later in the year.

Reply #847788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it planned to go ahead?

Surely it would already be in the yearly calendar.

Reply #847789 | Report this post

Easy As  
Years ago

State Champs will be played in September I've heard, across 2 separate weekends, with 12/14 one weekend and 16/18 2 weeks later

Reply #847791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What yearly calendar? Current admin don't provide one anymore, if they even have one which is unlikely.

Reply #847793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does losing 2 weekends in September fit with the Finals, Change of season, etc? Or will they be playing other games over those weekends?

Reply #847794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also breaking State Champs over two weekends has been tried before. It was a disaster. No atmosphere at all. Scrapped very quickly. Why try things again that failed the first time?

Reply #847798 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Heard a story recently that surely can't be true.

Apparently North have registered and paid for a player who is no longer playing for them or lives in the State (COE) over Summer so that he qualifies to play this weekend (despite playing zero game in summer).

This player (not mentioning name because of age) is also being flown over to play in the tournament so they can qualify for Nationals - even though the player is very unlikely to play for them at Nationals should they qualify.

Any truth? Seems very, very dodgy.

Reply #847806 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"Also breaking State Champs over two weekends has been tried before. It was a disaster. No atmosphere at all. Scrapped very quickly. Why try things again that failed the first time?"

So they have enough quality referees. I think that is more important than some "atmosphere"

Reply #847807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it concerning that we have to change the whole system becuase the person in charge of Comps failed to develop enough referees? There still won't be enough, the referee talent pool over the past 5 years has dried up completely, they only care about the few at the top.

So there will be a lack of referees and the split weekend event will be a terrible experience for those involved. No explanation to the question regarding the yearly schedule either and how turning a one weekend event into 3 weekends affects junior basketball across all divisions and domestic competitions.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Reply #847810 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

I actually think the split weekend idea is much better. As it is now, you are asking 18 year old's to play 3 games on a Saturday.

I'm sure that's fine for clubs that have recruited and stacked their teams, but for the better players that have stayed at their lower-mid level teams, it puts a huge physical toll on them and leads to more injuries.

I'm not sure if you have checked lately, but the number of injuries in that age group is already shocking.

Maybe the split round actually allows the teams to play at their best, rather than losing some games simply because of fatigue?

Reply #847813 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

Ask your club manager/administrator for a copy of the BSA calendar. Our club received one in late April that shows the rest of the year planned out. It includes the winter season, the re badged state champs in Sept and Oct plus the junior GF's from the 25th to 27th of Nov.

Reply #847814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth,

Problem with your assertion is that even though state champs is split over two weekends it is spilt by age groups. In other words an age group will still play all its games over one weekend and on the next weekend it will be a different age group.

So now I have no idea why we have state champs

Reply #847816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#810 they don't even care about the few at the top

Reply #847823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth

North doing something dodgy? Well there's a surprise.

Reply #847838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth, exemptions have regularly been made for those with higher-level commitments to play in tournaments like State Champs (Sturt in 2020) and Classic (Forestville in 2019). I'm pretty sure it was even explicitly stated in the by-laws pre-covid.

What exactly is dodgy about a club junior coming home from the CoE to represent their club? Would you be okay with it if he played Classic with them too?

Reply #847850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

850, what is the point though if he won't play the Classic anyway?

Reply #847856 | Report this post

NBAcentralWOJ  
Years ago

^ so they can pull a cheatgles and get their team in a tournament by using loophole. Don't worry about the teams doing right thing, only justice will be he doesn't play Classics and they get thumped. Despite all the coaching geniuses coming into the club, they are doing worse than last season, wonder why???

Reply #847857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said he ain't playing classics

Reply #847858 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Anon 850 - I'm interested to know which Sturt player didn't play summer season at all, had their registration fees paid for them and then showed up to play State champs last year after the club paid to fly them in? Same for Forestville 2019??

It just seems very odd that a club can qualify for a club championships with a player that no longer plays for the club. Don't you think? Never mind that this particular kid wouldn't even play for their State in U16 or U18's...

And yes, I'm sure that if A.S. had thought of it or had the chance he would have done the same.

Reply #847861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth, I'm talking about CoE players that were granted exemptions to play in those tournaments i.e. they otherwise didn't meet the qualification requirements, like the player you're posting about. I won't be naming names for obvious reasons, but it isn't rocket science to figure out who. Nobody raised an eyebrow in these cases, which makes your outrage quite curious.

I'm interested to know how you know "the player is very unlikely to play for them at Nationals should they qualify."

What on earth does his history of state representation have to do with this anyway? You've lost the plot mate.

Reply #847862 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Under 12 Boys

Teams to go through to final 4

Norwood, South, Sturt and North

Under 14 Boys

Norwood , Eastern, South and Sturt

Under 16 Boys

Woodville, Eastern (roughie), Centrals and Norwood but North could be there

Under 18 Boys

Woodville, Sturt, Norwood and Centrals

Under 12 Girls

Southern, West, Norwood and South

Under 14 Girls

Forestville, Eastern, Norwood and North

Under 16 Girls

West, Forestville, North and Eastern

Under 18 Girls

Sturt , Norwood , Forestville and Norwood

Reply #847866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No North u18 hey

Reply #847867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North will make it due to their returning player in 18 Boys. Centrals won't.

Eastern in 16 Boys? lol

Reply #847868 | Report this post

Flog  
Years ago

Can we discuss who we think will finish top 4 please?
I've only seen one post about that

Reply #847869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North 18 Boys are realistically 5 or 6 with the team they had in summer. Probably 1 or 2 with the player from CoE.

Reply #847870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth, no 18 year olds play State Champs to start with.

Second some teams will still potentially play 3 games in one day. They will play over one weekend. Then have a weekend off. Like everyone else will.

So the vast majority of players have to sit out 3 weekends now for a few to play in an event spread over 3 weekends because BSA Management have mismanaged the one group they are responsible for, referees.

Reply #847875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still results from last night not available. IT Issues?

Maybe BSA need to go back to the days of fax machines and hand written results on the wall.

Reply #848081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone seen any surprise results so far?

Reply #848120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No update of result since 8:30am. They just don't get it. It's not their fault, they are employed to do a job they don't understand how to do well.

Such a shame.

Hard to talk about results when they are updated so infrequently.

Reply #848167 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

use the game day app and make sure it's updated. all results are posted frequently and right up to date.

Reply #848184 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

i think sportstg website updates but at more infrequent times - usually find evening games update after midnight (I'm not tech savvy just an everyday user, so someone can correct me if i'm wrong) - gameday app updates earlier

Reply #848185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North out in 16 & 18 boys?

Reply #848206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the website requires manual upload from a staff member whereas the app shows results straight from the tablets. I'm pretty sure a CSO told me this for our social games, guess its the same for all sportstg websites.

Reply #848209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18B Pool A looks like most likely Norwood and Forestville at the top and Woodville and Southern top of pool B

Reply #848250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all their talk on here only 1 North boys team will make top 4.

2 girls teams, huge upset North beating Forestville in 18 Girls

Reply #848251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8-10 hours later and the morning results are finally updated on Sports TG.

Reply #848262 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Lots of upsets across the U18 boys.
Forestville and Southern in the top 4? No-one would have picked that.
Norwood and Woodville definitely the top 2.

Big falls for Sturt and North. I guess that $1k North spent on bringing their boy back didn't help much!

Reply #848312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol about $1k. People live in a parallel universe to believe that

Reply #848314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parallel universe? Go check CAN-ADE return flights. $700-$1000 is what it costs.

Reply #848315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Small change compared to the money wasted on the man overseeing the downfall.

Reply #848323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will probably post a separate thread since IMO it needs to be talked about and is a genuine topic, but the above comments about North are true. Gone from being dominant in a few consecutive age groups in boys to being not just also rans, to not even being in the race. However they spun it, Adam Todd not coaching the 16 boys anymore and bringing in some big talking cowboys to 16s and 18s has proven disastrous. Add the senior teams and Houston, we have a problem!

Reply #848337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth
No real surprise with Sturt, the current 18 boys have been over rated for years. They are mid table at best
Rockets are a surprise, got a lot expert coaches around the teams but the results have disappeared

Reply #848343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Questions will be asked, North have stacked the coaching ranks, Flynn Jantke Vivian are all state level coaches.

Reply #848344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"big talking cowboys"!
Obviously not a fan?

Reply #848348 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"No real surprise with Sturt, the current 18 boys have been over rated for years."

To be fair they had two state starters not play in the tournament. If they had both of them it would have been a different story

Reply #848360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three state players out, and two that had quit recently. I don't hold a stake in this, but that seems like a fair reason for supposedly under-performing.

Reply #848361 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Sturt two players who have recently quit. Why? The rumours are a lot of unhappy players in that U18 group.
Overrated? Yep. Bizarrely two of those overrated players played heavy minutes in the State U18 team, and performed poorly. Or rather to the same level they have in both U16's and U18's. How they keep getting picked is beyond me. Lots more talented players available across the league.

As for the $1k. That was being conservative. What are summer fees? $3-400? Flights alone are close to $1k.
And then they finished bottom of their pool! Hilarious.
I feel for the kid involved. They put him in a no win situation.

Reply #848362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows more the level of state coaches than anything else. And obviously not a fan with them waltzing in and thinking they know everything. Just wander to whatever is most talented age group and take credit. For 18s to end up where they did shows what a mistake north did, and fall for his bullshit. Probably telling everyone he's in line for Kings job.

Reply #848363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three state players out, and two that had quit recently.

Five players out altogether? Not true. Even so they would have almost certainly gone through ahead of Tigers at full strength.

Reply #848365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rumours are a lot of unhappy players in that U18 group.

Surely if it's at the point that players are quitting questions are being asked about what’s going on.

Reply #848367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Five players out altogether? Not true. Even so they would have almost certainly gone through ahead of Tigers at full strength. "

One player quit after U18 Nationals, another hasn't played since, and three others from their team didn't play this weekend (I believe all due to injury).

Get your fingers out and count again.

"The rumours are a lot of unhappy players in that U18 group."

Heard that too. I'm just pointing out that the talent deficit explains the underperformance. They might have been justified in quitting.

Reply #848371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My quick take from the weekend: Haven't taken into account players missing, injuries etc.

1. Norwood - Clearly best Club of the weekend. 7 of 8 teams made Finals. 3 winners. Program is producing elite teams and individuals.

2. Sturt - Not the club it used to be. Gaps in the program, issues within certain teams. Boys disappointed but Girls did better than expected. Still for any other club's standard they had a very good weekend. 5 of 8 made finals. 2 winners.

3. Eastern - About as expected based on Summer, good program without a lot of fuss or grandstanding. Solid result with only a few gaps, not much depth however but as this was only for Div 1 didn't impact. 4 of 8 finals teams. 1 Winner.

4. Forestville - U18 teams had surprising results. 14/16 Girls continue to impress. Still worrying signs, especially in boys and younger ages. 3 of 8 finals, 1 winner.

5. Woodville - Boys program on the rise. Girls program continues to be a major issue. Fantastic results across the Boys teams highlighted by the U18 Boys GF win. 3 of 8 finals, 1 winner.

6. North - Not where the Club has been in recent years and this weekend's result would probably surprise many, but in reality they were carried by a few very age brackets. Some concerns that need to be addressed by their new "Basketball Consultant" among rumblings for the past 6 months about clashing personalities. 3 of 8 made finals. 0 winners

7. Centrals - Lots of gaps in their program overall, good to see 12 girls make finals given the club's history in this age group/division. Lacking the very elite boys (and rare girls) of recent times. Lots of work required to build the talent pool and depth across all age groups. 2 of 8 Finalists. 0 winners.

7. West - Generally around the mark in a number of age groups/divisions but only managed 2 of 8 finalists. 16 girls struggled to keep up with summer results in what is however an even top of the table. Boys program showing some signs of promise but still has a fair bit of work to go, and been well overtaken by their close rivals. 0 winners.

9. South - Disappointing weekend, continue to struggle despite huge numbers in the club. As with their fellow southern suburbs neighbours appear to be investing heavily in Seniors at the expense of juniors. A number of teams were way off the mark. 2 of 8 finalists. 0 winners.

9. Southern - Some surprising results actually but that only highlights where this Club's junior program is currently, to still be equal bottom of the list. Both clubs need major new blood and investment in elite programs. Given the history of Tigers this is a significant fall from grace for the once power club of the 90s.

Reply #848374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*South 1 of 8 Finalists.

Reply #848375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

371 incorrect, but as you just think you are right I'll leave you to it.

Reply #848376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great write up 374.

I think clashing personalities is putting it mildly at North. They are not in good shape at all, a major fall from the top.

Reply #848378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

374 - I just choked on my coffee when I read that about Norwood. A long way off producing elite teams and individuals. Had a good weekend but lets not forget its 9 games in to the year and this tournament takes place. The true test of this Norwood statement will be the Classics weekend and as the year continues and players get settled. Covid has brought about some strange timings. Good luck to Norwood though but lets not get too far ahead.

Reply #848379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

379 what a weak response. Sour grapes with that coffee?

Reply #848380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drinks coffee at 11pm while reading Hoops. Proceeds to spill it all over his keyboard, but only proceeds to clean up after he does a post bagging Norwood.

I'm a non Norwood person but you have to give them credit, they are rolling.

Reply #848381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been a lot of nasty injuries for this Sturt u18 group over the years, stress fracture stuff, a couple of players finished for good, bad coincidence or alarming trend? Interesting as they make their way into seniors, the 2 best prospects are the big they poached from Norwood and the tall ginger haired Lad they left in div4 for 3 seasons.

Reply #848384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth,

Keep writing stuff. Some people may believe you but you are wide of the mark on some items

Reply #848387 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

#387, I'd be happy for you to explain which parts I'm wide of the mark on.
Please do.

Reply #848389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cost to North of getting this player back

Reply #848391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth
You are on the money.
Will this make it easier? What club is the BSA HP Manager from? What club are the over rated players from? Actually what club are 65-70% of all SA State players, reserves and Coaches from?
Join the dots and the answer should be clear as a "blue" sky!

Reply #848392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I said some items. Not all. Truth needs to change his name to Half Truths

Reply #848393 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

#393 obviously I don't know exactly what the costs were as I'm not part of North. However, my assumptions seem reasonable.
The player had to have been registered to play in Summer to be eligible for the tournament. Normal registrations are between $3-400.
Return flights from Canberra are close to $1k.

Which bits did I have wrong? Am I understating it?

Reply #848399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was a waste. The kid only played the 2 games in which he fouled out in the second quickly.

Reply #848403 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

So which SA teams in which age groups qualified for the National Classic?

Reply #848405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

405 Sturt didn't qualify for the 14 16 18 boys,
They were just about the best junior boys program in the country, those days are now a distant memory it seems.

Reply #848414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt will probably get the wildcard entry in 16s I would presume, and were very unlucky in 18s. Even with all their injuries their two losses were by 3 points, including a crazy buzzer beater.

Their ten boys coming thru are solid, and Jason Williams is doing their JDO/Coaching Director role now, who will have them humming. Still a very strong club.

Reply #848415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half Truth

Who says North paid. As usual you are guessing

Reply #848420 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

#420 are you joking? Did the tooth fairy pay?
We all know there is no way he paid for it himself, and that's not a shot at the kid or his family. He shouldn't have to.

So who was it?

BasketballSA? The same group he refuses to represent?
His North teammates? Many of who are new to the club? Or the guys who have stayed at North and would be pushed to the bench when he played?

Come on. Be serious.

Reply #848421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm just reading this and not even completely sure who this is about. Truth why are you so obsessed with this issue? What is your actual point if you have one.

Reply #848426 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

#426 I might have it wrong, but I was just astounded that a club would organise for a guy who has moved on and is no longer playing for the club, to come back and play in a tournament just so they can ensure they qualify for a future tournament.
It's bizarre to me.
Others have suggested it has been done before - I don't know about that, but surely for junior sport clubs, it can't be THAT important. Surely you owe it to the players you currently have to let them represent the club and if they are good enough to qualify.
I'd be pretty annoyed if I thought my club was using funds I'd paid to do it.

Anyway each to their own. In the end it was actually to their detriment.

Reply #848429 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

#426 I might have it wrong, but I was just astounded that a club would organise for a guy who has moved on and is no longer playing for the club, to come back and play in a tournament just so they can ensure they qualify for a future tournament.
It's bizarre to me.
Others have suggested it has been done before - I don't know about that, but surely for junior sport clubs, it can't be THAT important. Surely you owe it to the players you currently have to let them represent the club and if they are good enough to qualify.
I'd be pretty annoyed if I thought my club was using funds I'd paid to do it.

Anyway each to their own. In the end it was actually to their detriment.

Reply #848430 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Even more unfortunate that big Sturt poached from norwood tore his acl and meniscus in a school ball game the week before the tournament. That's why he didn’t play the whole time.

Reply #848434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work Truth. You got a lot of time on your hands. Good luck with all your inquiries.

Reply #848435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half Truth. You seriously have an issue.

Reply #848436 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

Even more unfortunate that big Sturt poached from norwood tore his acl and meniscus in a school ball game the week before the tournament. That's why he didn't play the whole time

You have to feel sorry for the kid. When they played us they only had 3 top agers and the big one had to leave the game with a back injury

Apparently the injury count is 2 ACLs, 2 lower back fractures, 1 broken ankle and 2 quitting. All top agers in the same team.

Sounds like Rockets dropped the ball in a big way

Great opportunity for Tigers and potentially Forestville I bet they can't believe it. Good luck to them.

Reply #848445 | Report this post

NBL1CentralWoj  
Years ago

Regardless of who paid for the player to come back, regardless of how many games he played and even if he did play more and contribute, it comes down to the integrity of the coach!!!
What an absolute embarrassment that this so called top level coach even agreed to this. How about believing in the players you have and doing some real coaching. Such a bad example and he should be ashamed. But at least karma prevailed and they finished where they deserved.
Seriously, what sort of coach, apart from Andy, would agree to such unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Reply #848446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think many coaches have done this in the past for State Champs. I don't think there is anything to see here. The players in question, both past and present, felt they were aligned to help and were prepared to help their junior club out.

Reply #848448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think many coaches have done this in the past for State Champs. I don't think there is anything to see here. The players in question, both past and present, felt they were aligned to help and were prepared to help their junior club out.

Reply #848449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrior
Yes this particular Sturt group have been plagued by injury over the years. Not sure if it's because they weren’t getting results so the training loads went up. Got to be very careful how hard young growing bodies are pushed, stress fractures in backs etc are terrible for players and families to deal with.
It’s great for clubs to strive to win and compete hard, but surely enjoyment, learning the game, skill development and friendships are the primary focus of junior sport?

Reply #848460 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

Yes Anon. These back fractures are a big worry for growing kids and I saw Sturt have a few talls that have shot up suddenly

I spoke to one of the Sturt coaches at the weekend and they genuinely seemed concerned for the boys. I don't think they're pushing them any harder than us.

Most of their original squad are around the metro/country state programs. Perhaps it's simply an issue of too much basketball, state stuff then district, school ball and then every money-spinning basketball camp that kids are told to got to

Reply #848480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The North kid, didn't move on. He's still a member of North Adelaide. He's taken up a development opportunity which unfortunately is interstate. All CoE and Global Accademy players go home and play for their local club when they can.

In regards to cost there would be no requirement for him to pay fees as he didn't play or train over summer. He would have to be registered with BSA which costs approx $25 right? Hardly a costly exercise.

Truth your targeting of this kid who simply played in a tournament for his own club is appalling. You should be an adult and show some maturity. At least understand this is very common.

Reply #848488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said. The lack of knowledge by Truth is just as appalling

Reply #848491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think one single post has targeted the player. They are aimed at club, team and coach. Did any of the other kids away get flown back just to try and qualify team, and if it is so common, name some of these players who would no longer be juniors. There are only a handful of players selected for COE or nba academy each year, of that, most are too old for 18s. So I suggest you look up the term, very common. A better term is very rare.

Reply #848501 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"You should be an adult and show some maturity"

Actually the adult and mature thing would have been not to bring him back so he doesn't risk a possible career ending injury to play in some meaningless games as far as his career is concerned. Imagine he did an ACL and for what, so that his previous team might qualify for a tournament.

Reply #848507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A decision he and his family would make with the advice of his Academy coach. Not randoms on a public forum.

Reply #848509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth I hope your criminal enquiry about some kid wanting to come back for a game with his junior club is harnessing the desired results. Keep up the amazing work you are doing, champ/chump. Way too much time on your hands.

Reply #848510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened if he did his ACL at some meaningless scrimmage at training in Canberra. Or he injured himself at some meaningless national tournament. What is meaningless and what isn't. Should he not walk across the road to say hi to some meaningless person. Should state squad members not train for state team before any tournament. Where do you draw the line.

Reply #848512 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Wow! Some very upset people on here. Relax a bit.

My comment was completely focussed on the club decision, not the player.
Check my comments and you will see that I've mentioned how nice a kid he is, how none of it is fault and how I felt sorry for him being put in this position.

The club on the other hand have, in my humble opinion, made the wrong call. Should have stuck with the players who played with them over summer.

Anyway, each to their own. North made the decision and it bit them on the backside. As some have said, not the first, and I'm sure they won't be the last.

Reply #848517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth - what was wrong about the decision from the club?

No one was cut from the team for him.

In fact one of their SA Metro u18s players missed the tournament through injury.

If I had a 7 footer at NBA Global who was a junior at my club I would want him to play as well.

The decision didn't bite them on the backside.

If they didn’t make top 4 with him then they wouldn’t have made it without him.

Also fact they didn’t make top 4 avoids any argument that the only reason they did was by fielding a player that hadn’t played during summer.

But so important to remember it has been just a modified 9 game summer season anyway.

No rules were broken and NBA Global are keen for players to play club champs where possible.

Pretty sure Giddey played for Tigers at Classics a couple of years ago despite being at NBA Global.

Truth you have posted issues about flights. There are normally many posts on Hoops about how clubs spend money on NBL1 and not juniors. Also don’t these kids get flights home from Canberra to visit family anyway? Is that really a big issue?

Reply #848526 | Report this post

Results  
Years ago

If State Champs points were awarded we would have;

Boys

Norwood 11
South 8
Woodville 8
Eastern 5
Sturt 5
Centrals 3
North 2
West 2
Forestville 1
Southern 1

Girls

Norwood 15
Sturt 11
Forestville 8
Eastern 5
North 3
West 2
Centrals 1

Overall

Norwood 26
Sturt 16
Eastern 10
Forestville 9
Woodville 8
Centrals 5
North 5
South 5
West 4
Southern 1

Reply #848532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did you get 1 in Southern for boys?

Reply #848534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is going on at North Adelaide?

Reply #848536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Results close but no.

Reply #848537 | Report this post

Results  
Years ago

The last game results were not up so gave both Forestville and Southern 1 point.

Reply #848538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood 26
Sturt 16
Eastern 10
Forestville 9
Woodville 8
North 5
Centrals 4
West 4
South 3
Southern 3

Reply #848541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

536, lots of unhappy club members asking the same thing.

Reply #848544 | Report this post

Anonshitme2  
Years ago

Maybe it time to bring up club rationalisation - merger... sturt and South and let southern work their area. And eagles and woodville..boys and girls programs singularly strong. Norwood north Macs west and centrals seem to have balanced programs...albeit need growth.. clubs work domestic area and filter into div 1 comps..
At least I thinking inside and outside the box... how does sport grow organically without a redirection...

Reply #848545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst I for one would agree regarding redirection. We should be looking at the growth of clubs like Melbourne rather than further limiting positions.

The has been one merger previously and that hasn't worked out so well.

How about BSA start with simple rules for pro/rel at D1 and D2 level along with club requirements for membership and governance and let the market decide.

Reply #848551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious. He stills sees himself as a North junior and wanted to help his friends and teammates out. This type of thing has gone back as far as I can recall. Jacob Holmes to Sturt is an early example. People say it's not common but I argue it is common for kids who do make it to Canberra.

If you are so aggrieved with your assertion of the coach’s behaviour why not discuss it with him. You know where to find him or does your courage disappear when you don’t have your keyboard

Reply #848581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are getting so upset champ? Well, not a champ being involved with North.
He has left the club for bigger and better things, may want to play with mates, but he hasn't been there all season. If he was so passionate, he could always have turned down scholarship.
As for Flynn, if he doesn't know what he did wrong, maybe at one of his overpriced camps he should have an ethics class and sit at the front and take notes.

Reply #848614 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah the kid really should have turned down the NBAGA lol

Reply #848617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

614 Reckon the move to Canberra was the right one, he's just been named in the Emus squad!

Reply #848618 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

South and Sturt to merge what a joke right? Leave Southern to work their area? They are nearly dead as it is, and massively in debt and kids leaving left right and centre

Reply #848641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well 617, you can't have everything. Either go to academy or stay and play with mates. Simple, both feet in, not one in each camp. But a few powerbrokers would have been in his ear, mainly the coach.

Reply #848656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, whilst you can't do everything. There are times you can do multiple things and numerous players have had the opportunities to attend the COE/NBAGA and play for their club.

I say it's a great way to allow someone who isn't getting significant game time to get out and play.

If the CoE/NBAGA coaches believe that it is a good idea for the player, then who are you to argue? And yes, they would have had a say in it.

Reply #848664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you getting so upset for????
He was simply a fill in player, like when your social team is a bit short and ask a former player to fill in for a game or 2.

Reply #848723 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754