Anonymous
Years ago

Top 3 NBL Coaches ???

1) Trevor G-and it's not even close I also hate the Wildcats but give respect where it’s due. His system his approach and attention to details. Yes he complains to the refs if you look at both Melb teams they might be worse in that regard. Yes he has Bryce but you still must create a culture and he creates star role players meaning they become stars in a role that is key to winning.

2) Brian G-this isn’t based on his previous success this is based on what I’m witnessing right now. He too gets on the refs maybe a little to much at times but this roster should not be competing for a finals spot they should be close to bottom of the ladder based purely on talent. He’s another when you watch and listen you can tell he just knows what he’s talking about and what he’s doing.

3) Dean V-yes he has the talent every year thanks to Larry and he also complains the most of any coach having that much talent, however he still wins. His scouts are really good that’s probably his best asset is the way he scouts teams and then comes up with game plans for his ever so talented guys to execute. He also has no issue benching guys and giving them the hard truths I respect that about him. I’d like to see what he does with average roster that could change my opinion.

What do you guys think who’s the top 3 and why hopefully we can keep this topic respectful but I do understand with some opinions on certain coaches there are few coaches I think are just not NBL standard.

Topic #48474 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

How indicative of coaching ability is performance in a timeout? I'd assume that knowledge, preparation and conviction are all factors in good coaching, along with rapport/communication with players. All of these should be evident in a timeout? And then making confident decisions on the fly to adjust to a game situation.

Some timeouts are trainwrecks to watch, as though the coach is ill-prepared or a deer in headlights. Either you go in with a plan, or you reinforce positives and remind about issues needing addressing?

Reply #847577 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

The only coaches I have Gorj over are Kelly and Shamir.

Reply #847579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson then daylight

Reply #847597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac those are all key factors as well, and also to know the flow of the game and when to use a timeout and when to let your players fight through things. If you check out some of Trevs trainings they are well drilled. From Flex on O to how they play defensively Perth in particular if you doing a coaching clinic that's the team to watch. I’m watching Dean his scouts and communication of how they should do these things are on point to I just don’t rate him with complaining every call ever play. The best coaches in the NBL have the ability to make the right calls some of this is instinctively and knowing his team’s mental state. Often coaches or only viewed in wins and losses but I also watch the development and Dean has done a great job with dudes like Sam M and Babba they both are developing at a nice pace and will be better in the future because or this experience. Overall tho Trev is the best coach and it’s not close he’s out coached Dean on so many occasions it’s not even funny anymore.

Reply #847603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO, being a great coach cant be judged on a single season, but factors such as setting up the culture of the team. Eg Popovich, Few, Roos, Belicek etc.
Gleeson was lucky he came into a successful environment, but has had to keep it up. Luckily he had Martin and others that controlled the expectations of players.
Gorjean has a history of building a culture in a short time, but just as quickly it self destructs, mainly over financial pressures.
Just look at central Nbl1, had clash of the hotseat coaches from last season. Woodville ended up losing despite having the better team, has Whitmore led to that culture.

Reply #847630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry no longer owns MU, so the fact they pull together a good roster each year is not due to Larry's wallet

Reply #847664 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gleeson, Goorjian

Daylight

Reply #847688 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Goorjian the best coach IMO, Gleeson second but keep in mind Gleeson walked into a team and culture that was already in the GF every year and then a guy called Bryce Cotton landed in his lap. Vickerman #3 he's a great coach too.

Reply #847690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson
Goorjian
Lemanis.

Reply #847694 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Gaze, Henry, Wright

Reply #847704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754