Isaac
Years ago

Hawks' Bairstow out for season, Coenraad replacement

Not a great week for Bairstows with his brother getting pushed out of the Wildcats lineup for Will Magnay.

Topic #48475 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Perths win at all costs mentality is horrible.

Reply #847574 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Better than a trolling at all costs mentality.

Great to see Coenraad back. I thought he still had a good season left in him before having retirement forced upon him.

Reply #847580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta be retirement for Cam, he just doesnt get through a season. Bit like Lich who had the talent still to play but the body was not able.

Reply #847589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow and Adel, what a combination. Who signs these top end wage guys. Bairstow hasn't played a full season in years, Adel always was a gamble if you watched his games previously. Both there marquee signings gone.

Reply #847590 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Coenraad a genuine warrior for the Hawks, so it's good to see him have another chance.

But, really, will he have a significant role? Are there no younger guys out there who might just come in and show something for the future?

The NBL is not like the AFL, where there are so many spots available, any half decent athlete can get a spot on a roster.

Once you take out the import spots there are precious few opportunities for young Aussies.

The Hawks aren't winning anything this year, so why not have a look at someone might have a future?

Reply #847598 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Good to see TC back.

Bummer about Bear. Injury woes aside, he's quite serviceable and a positive asset when playing. Release says his ailment isn't a long-term consideration, I hope he regains full health and gives the next season a real good shake.

Reply #847601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He hasn't played a full season in years, yes when he plays he does well. Bairstow is a top end earner, you cannot keep these guys on a list if the only play 1/4 season, if they are happy for minimum, take the punt.

Reply #847610 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

2019 - Jordair Jett and Used by Cedric Jackson.
2020 - Prime Billy Preston and Darrington Hobson
2021 - Cam Bairstow, Deng Adel, Tim Coenraad.

Well done Illawarra, *claps*, Well done.

Reply #847615 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This was why I picked the Hawks to finish bottom. There were enough question marks about Adel out there and Bairstow was always going to be a disastrous signing. The Hawks were basically crossing their fingers and hoping for the best season. It was poor decision making really. Goorjian's done a great job to have this group on the cusp of the playoffs.

Reply #847651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Zodiac.

Goorj has done a fine job with what he's had to work with, I’m not certain the American money man would be happy with the outlay on the two marquee players though. The hawks roster has some dollars attached to it.

Reply #847654 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Adel was supposedly on seriously big money but not sure Bairstow could've demanded that much, we all remember his Bullets years. He's fortunate another NBL team was willing to throw him a lifeline and that's now blown up in the Hawks faces too.

Reply #847662 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I hope they didn't burn too much money on Bear, he didn't have the games behind him to demand too much I don't think based on his previous seasons... Would have been worth a punt at a decent price to get that experience though, seems s decent bloke as well if he could have been a leader as well, but it seems like AJ took that role this season after not even getting a gig with them initially and then being named captain...

Goorj has definitely done well and I hope they can make the playoffs, but those top two signing were definitely busts this season...

Reply #847669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow left Australia for Lithuania after Brisbane, he took the money, why would he come back for peanuts, he wasn't on Adel money but would not have been on low dollars.

Reply #847673 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Bairstow got through a full euro season last year, but he'll always be an enigma in terms of availability. Can’t see anyone taking a chance on him next season other than Illawarra as they’d be across the full extent of his situation. Always seemed to be something this year.

As for *clap* great signings, obviously it hasn’t been great but I think people are forgetting the position they were recruiting from. They lost Glover & Dech at a time when they were in strife - that wasn’t new managements fault. Grids was forecast to be out for the majority of the season but they resigned him for the future. Who else should they have signed under the circumstances? Jois, who always wants more than his worth? Broekoff? Was never a realistic option at that time. Would love some names of local players who were off contract that they should have signed...

Reply #847680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually missed a few games last season in Lithuania, you are right about Jois, he always wants lots more than he's worth. Jois and Bairstow should not be put in the same conversation, Bairstow was a very good player before injuries.

Reply #847685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754