Anonymous
Years ago

BSA lack of community awareness continues

UPDATES TO PLAYER & SPECTATOR FEES | There will be a change to the fee structure commencing from the Winter Season. Player fees will include a spectator component and individual spectators fees will no longer be charged.
The combined player fee includes a 'spectator component' of a maximum of $3.50 plus transaction fees at Junior Metro and District level in 2021.
With the elimination of individual spectator fees, there is an opportunity to encourage more spectators to games (especially at Youth League and Senior levels), improving atmosphere for players and generating awareness for our sport, all while making basketball more affordable for many families.

Again proving they have no understanding of how complex the basketball family is. Just another grab for money, like the $5 female levy which has gone straight to the BSA bottom line. Expect tap and go at every stadium with no staff on hand at all. So take more money and provide less service.

The Current BSA standard.

Topic #48486 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

More issue with the Teampay app that was recently announced. Simply makes the TM role more difficult

Reply #847881 | Report this post

Volunteer  
Years ago

50% increase in cost for myself each week to volunteer to coach my child in junior Basketball.

50% !!!!!

And they are saying the only way to pay is through an app which they say is safe

I'm not so sure !

If I want to pay eft or cash or credit card then bad luck

Is that legal ?
One option ?
Must use an app & support the app founder who would rub its hands together on fees

How can the basketball community express displeasure ?

Reply #847882 | Report this post

Volunteer  
Years ago

In addition I have another question

How much have bsa been paying door person ?
From what I read, they save considerable money by not having a door person now ! Just pay a competent court supervisor

So why increase costs ?

Will refs get a pay rise ?

What has the $5 everyone is paying for girls in sport been spent on ? I bet it's for the Lightning

Seriously
This sport needs office of sport & rec to sort this mob out

Reply #847883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball SA Contact Details:
Phone: 08 7088 0070
Address: 314 South Road, Richmond SA 5033

Phil Sinnott (CEO)
[email protected]
Michelle Sterry (Member Services)
[email protected]

Basketball SA Independent Commission - no publicly listed contact direct to commission.

Nicole Nader (Chair)
Wade Burns (Deputy Chair)
Sasha Baranikov
Peter Bleckly
Malcolm Gibbons
Lynda Schenk
Kirsty Summersides

Office of Rec & Sport: [email protected]

Reply #847898 | Report this post

Easy As  
Years ago

I emailed my concerns to BSA and was told that the door person would be redeployed inside the stadium so they can offer better service and support in venue... I'd like to know how exactly!

Reply #847904 | Report this post

who knows  
Years ago

this "spectators entrance for free" format has been in existence in several associations in Australia for decades, but it usually includes free entrance for coaches and managers, with only a player or 'team" fee.not necessarily a bad move IMHO

Reply #847905 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seems mixed messaging if you are trying to minimise spectators to then say they don't have to pay individual.

Team pay just moves the responsibility from a BSA employee the the volunteer Team Manager.

Reply #847909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the financial model for funding a junior competition includes charging spectators, it is basically asking families who are supporting their kids to subsidize families who don't. Bag BSA all you want, they deserve it, but this is a good move.

Reply #847910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's going to lose first generation kids from the sport. The kids who don't have parental support, who struggle to get the cash to pay for their game fee each week.

We will see them go to footy instead.

Reply #847915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah footy is so much cheaper

Reply #847917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds as great as the levies every local basketball player (juniors or seniors) has to pay to support juniors going to state and national comps. Utter disgusting!

Reply #847918 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Seems mixed messaging if you are trying to minimise spectators to then say they don't have to pay individual.
Which part of "there is an opportunity to encourage more spectators to games" makes it sound like they're trying to minimise spectators?

Reply #847919 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

i mnean no disrespect, but nobody in the BSA offices seem to know wtf theyre doing and they seem to lack understanding of how sports, spectators and players etc admissions work.

Theyre educated idiots in this sense. I genuinely can not remember the last time BSA has announced a change that has been good for the game. this is what happens when people with generic qualifications move into a basketball environment.

Can we get people who know the game in these positions. I'm sure there's a former player or coach or official or 10 of them with accounting, marketing, HR or law/policy background.

BSA is beyond repair

Reply #847924 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

WTF does knowing the game have to do with setting entry fees?

Reply #847927 | Report this post

NBAcentralWOJ  
Years ago

People with qualifications wouldn't want to go to a job with low pay and bad work conditions.

Reply #847934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just be aware ,it's gotta get worse later ,whisper that they are going to just have one person operating everything in 2022,that person will be doing doorperson and uic job ..Basketball SA are looking at clubs to pay basketball SA on game day and get receipt to give to uic to verify team to play on the night.Basketball will raise costs soon watch this space later ...The good old days have gone ,Basketball SA want your money and don’t care about service at stadiums ,Wayville and Pasadena are looking a little dirty of late can’t stand going into toilets these days .

Good Luck district clubs

Reply #847940 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So BSA clearly don't have enough money, and for that reason they shouldn't raise prices to generate more income?

Reply #847941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe you don't have to post on every thread. This is a real issue for 1000s, your posts are not helpful.

Reply #847946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it's actually just an issue for a small minded few.

Heck in other states players pay an entry fee, then they pay money for the team sheet and then every spectator pays.

People in Adelaide need to realise they are not living in the 1970's anymore.

Reply #847947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all get we have to pay, that's not the issue. You clearly aren't listening.

Reply #847949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#947 In most other states you pay the association rather then BSA, the associations also control the courts meaning then associations have more $$ so your fees end up being cheaper.
This is purely a cash grab by BSA just like the $5 female fee, reducing staff and increasing prices lines their pockets. How many spectators go to a u23s/seniors game unless its finals? That figure will be no different with the change, looks like the players are just being slugged for the extra $$.

Reply #847950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone explain this "female fee"?

Reply #847959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA added a $5 Female Participation Fee to every member's Affiliation Fee. The story was it was going towards programs to raise the number of girls playing.

To date, not one new program has been introduced. They took the money and haven't spent it.

Reply #847963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Until all clubs have the courage to take operational ownership of their stadiums. And control of the competition, then there will continually be BSA mismanagement.

Reply #847969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So was a slow day at BSA and they had this brainstorming workshop it looked like. Were any clubs consulted?
Families pay enough in terms of fees for a season that runs for the whole year. Most other sports have an offseason. Imo, there shouldn't be spectator fees, the more the better. And how hard is it to have a doorperson that collects money and hands out tickets and has scoresheets ready. To be honest, not sure of other roles they perform, but would assume they should hold a 1st aid qualification and they send results in. UIC, should be doing just that, making sure the officials are performing, rosters, making decisions and ensuring crowd behaves itself.
Why are BSA trying to reinvent the wheel unless they are that stupid and money grabbing, they are doing this. The $5 for female participation sounds ok, but isn't there numerous state and federal grants to accomplish same goal. And has a business model been put forward to show where this money is going, apart from maybe hiring someone to go to schools and say don't worry about netball, come and play basketball. Do BSA still have people already going to schools encouraging both boys and girls.
Whatever happened to the clubs uniting and getting rid of the current useless organisation. Imagine if South Australia had a competent body governing the sport.

Reply #847989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if you do some proper maths you will find BSA are losing money on this new system , have a look around on a Friday night and see how many spectators there are , 2 parents per kid and you are in front

You will also find it's the clubs that have driven this model through Basketball adelaide and it’s a response to president lead idea .

BSA will have a second level process I’m sure for families who provide managers of coaches etc

Reply #847994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree 994 works out cheaper for parents / Grandparents who go and watch their young kids play. May not work as well for the Seniors who don't have parents regularly attend.
More bums on seats at the games is what we should be encouraging.

Reply #848012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't work for coaches or families with multiple children playing.

Reply #848045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The amount of people complaining here is astounding.
I come on here to stay across our basketball community and am gob smacked at how many people are just flat out having a whinge on this issue.

I'm guessing your the same people the complain about petrol prices and drive around Adelaide looking for cheap petrol.

Basketball, and most things in general, won’t get any cheaper. Surely that’s not a surprise?

Reply #848048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to completely miss the point.

Reply #848049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunch of whingers is right. Maybe its not a BSA issue, its the anonymous vocal parenting minority.

Reply #848053 | Report this post

Anonshit  
Years ago

Am of similar view. Whingeball is very popular... any chance and out you wankers come to play. With yourselves... so many f....experts and negative crap.. if you ducks are so good how come you not getting things sorted... always seem to have comments but never solutions or even half arse ways to rectify...
BSA run basketball and do best they can considering the hurdles. No BSA no basketball like the wingers about the Sixers.. consider before knocking grant and job... so over shit heads....

Reply #848058 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

People whinging about people whinging- very SA

Reply #848060 | Report this post

Anonshit  
Years ago

060. Read what you wrote and posted... guessing you are Tasmanian...

Reply #848069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like it or not this is a change that greatly affects some, while benefiting others. It would seem though that those junior families negatively affected are those who volunteer, are single parents or with multiple siblings. Apart from Finals night's I doubt player to Adult Spectator ratios are higher than 1 to 2 or that this will have any great impact on that. In turn I'd suggest BSA know this is their way of introducing an increase by targeting only some.

All Seniors and Youth League players are negatively affected. Which may be BSA's way of making them burden more of the cost of the Association.

No one believes this is being done to benefit members. It's being done to streamline stadium services to reduce staffing and maximize profit.

Reply #848080 | Report this post

Anonshitme2  
Years ago

We know very good stadium staff been given the flick... now we know why.. bullshit spun about staff not being up to speed when all along they were given the flick because of this shit new idea. Is that transparency ?? Is that being responsible.. is that having any core values.. nothing to do with service.. money making.... many unhappy.. basket case not basketball...

Reply #848082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's ignorant to continue to suggest this is making BSA more money

Do the maths please people

Reply #848127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its naive to think an organisation that has been hit financially by numerous poor decisions, over spending and mismanagement on top of coming out of Covid would be doing this if it wasn't to increase income on top of a systematic long term agenda of reducing staffing and management at stadiums.

Reply #848129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The irony of 127 calling people ignorant then telling them to do the maths!

Reply #848132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proof will be when it rolls out , if stadium staff are gone you will all have another chance to whinge and wine some more , if you follow the BSA FB post everyone that has protested they are worse off have been asked to DM BSA to discuss , I guess they are doing that to rub it in and tell them suck it up

Reply #848143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA forget families have options. Not just for sports but also competitions. Most Domestic Leagues around Adelaide are higher standard than the lower Divisions of District without the cost and travel.

Plus there's Football, Netball, Soccer ..... Telling people to suck it up just proves they don't understand their job is to service membeers. Telling people proof will be when it rolls out is too late. They'll never admit they're wrong, as they never have despite so many poor decisions under this CEO.

Reply #848144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most domestic leagues better than lower district levels. Are you serious?!?!

Reply #848148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the top grade of a number of domestic leagues in Adelaide include Footballers and Division 1 & 2 players as well as families that can't or won't commit to the time and money of District Basketball.

Reply #848151 | Report this post

Easy As  
Years ago

Basketball SA are asking people to contact them so they have a better understanding of those people it will negatively effect. When they spoke with me and I outlined whybit would cost me $8 a week more because of the amount of kids I have playing, they mentioned a discount system that people will have to apply for.
They also mentioned they wouldn't be reducing staff numbers in venue, but that the original door person would now be working in stadium instead.
I understand the negativity, but how about we all look at this objectively first rather than shoot first and ask questions later.
The area they need to improve was the communication of the overall process. It's come out in dribs and drabs, instead of all the information on hand for people to understand fully what the changes will mean.

Reply #848291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"whinge and wine some more" Hic.

Reply #848292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"060. Read what you wrote and posted... guessing you are Tasmanian..."
Guess you are a dickhead.

Reply #848293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for joining Anonshit and posting you meaningless shit, twice.
Cred = 0

Reply #848294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754