Jack Toft
Years ago

CNS v PER May 17

Cairns hosts the Floppycats in what many Cats fans will be expecting to be training run for the boys. But could this be a danger game for them?

Cairns are locked to the bottom of the table. That's where they're finishing this season and won't go higher. Their only job for the rest of the season is to ram a stick into the bike wheel of their opponent. Cairns fans will even sharpen the stick for the men in Orange.

Cairns at home have not been woeful, so the pussycats can't expect an easy game. BUT... a win puts them one win behind United, so like any good farm cat, expect the Perf boys to drop a half dead snake at the foot of United. Aren't cats nice when they do that

Topic #48505 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

Gleeson came out today and said he'll be trying to get some rest into guys like Cotton and Mooney, probably Blanchfield as well, by playing them less minutes when possible. Can see this being one of those games unless Taipans are on fire.

Reply #848406 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Perth by less than 5 due to player rotations.
Expecting 20+ minutes from Magnay.

Reply #848408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a bit of a who cares match, Perth should do this comfortably, let’s hope Cairns can clean out their team and be better next season.

Perth by 12 resting there players.

Reply #848411 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

Cairns still playing? Need to change all the player except jawai and mechado

Reply #848413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnum is due for a big one

Reply #848417 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

@KB I reckon Ngatai would have to be a good cheaper option? I reckon he's proven himself enough.

I reckon Noi should definitely be given the boot

Reply #848424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the floppycats approach this game with disrespect for the snakes and thinking they can get it done with bench guys then I hope they get bitten

Reply #848425 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

@ beegee bring some shooter and play defense player and not stat padding...

Reply #848444 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

There is a big drop off in talent in the first 5 and the bench for Perth.

I cannot see a team winning where Kevin White, Client Steindl and Tom Jervis are playing extended minutes even against trash like Cairns.

Reply #848463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng probably worth a bench roll in the back up 4-5 position. Jawai, Machado, Nagtai in limited minutes, the rest nbl1 is there level. Oliver obviously would be great but probably staying in the states.

Reply #848464 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Normal lineup is starting.

Reply #848505 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Buckets aplenty

Reply #848508 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Mooney looks a bit worried that Jawai might eat him.

Reply #848511 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There goes any rest.

Reply #848514 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Machado & Jawai are the ones getting the rest atm.
Weak quarter from the cats.

Reply #848515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Floppycats" so true!

Reply #848516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol because they flop

Reply #848518 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I remember thinking earlier in the season that Cairns had made a big mistake giving Jawai a 2 year deal in the offseason but since around the NBL Cup he's really stepped up his play and had a very good season given his age and experience.

Reply #848519 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I enjoy Nate having big games - even when it's against us. Legend.

Reply #848520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Machado ultimately trying too hard and will cost the Taipans the W.

Reply #848521 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah he was bad in the 4th after being excellent until then

Reply #848522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monster game from Jawai in just around twenty minutes

Reply #848523 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lovely. Half a game behind United now.

Reply #848524 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Err make that a whole game.

Reply #848525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai should be given a heavy training schedule over the break, easing off towards start of season to keep his weight down, when fit still great player. Cairns got some horrible defenders, they certainly had a dig though. Perth are just so professional.

Reply #848527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai was motivated because he wanted to go back to Perth and they wanted no part of him .

Reply #848528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth were very ordinary playing a side who won't make the Finals and the moeny they are spending. B-

Reply #848529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They won though.

Reply #848530 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Loving our final quarters lately, we're completely dominant after the 3QT break.

Reply #848531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They won though." Yes they did however not worth boasting about.

Reply #848533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is boasting.

Reply #848535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"we're completely dominant after the 3QT break." That's a boast. NO you weren't it was only in the last 5 mins maybe when Machado went selfish Perf dominated.

Reply #848540 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

35 straight!!! No boast

Reply #848546 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Five games in 15 days or whatever our ridiculous schedule is at the moment, plus having to criss-cross the nation to do it, yet in the last two games the team has gone BEAST MODE in the fourth quarter outscoring opponents +16 and +11.

Reply #848547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, NZ say high end

Reply #848548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, NZ say high end

Reply #848549 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Five games in 15 days or whatever our ridiculous schedule is at the moment

6 games in 11 days

Reply #848550 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Where is this version of Nate Jawai since the season started?

Turns up when the season is done.

What a waste.

Reply #848553 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

6 games in 11 days

Stop boasting!

Reply #848558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

35 straight finals. Is that boasting?

Reply #848563 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

No just talking stats

Reply #848577 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Norton - 22 mins
Cotton - 29 mins
Mooney - 30 mins
Blanchfield - 25 mins

Lower than usual minutes, and Cats never looked like they got out of second gear all night, turned it on when it mattered and got the win... starters got less minutes than usual, given the schedule this type of win was to be expected.

Reply #848591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. To compare club spend as a reason for the nature of game is completely missing the bigger picture.

Reply #848592 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

~30 minutes is still way too much for Cotton and Mooney at this stage of the season.

Reply #848597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson said he wants to reduce their minutes without completely stuffing up their rhythm and chemistry. I'm sure he's got it under control.

Reply #848600 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Travers has really stepped up since his early season form. Still makes a few turnovers when he holds the ball for too long, but his length and speed make him very solid in the paint on both ends.

Reply #848604 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Kobe, its a 40 minute game and they are young, fit athletes... in my opinion they can handle that type of workload. In all honesty this stage of the season they should be maintaining as much of a normal workload as they prepare for the finals, this is also not to mention the inclusion of Magnay and wanting him to be comfortable with the 1st and 2nd options on offence.

Also if you break it down, they would normally play 35-36 minutes per game right? so they were rested around half a qtr of basketball that they normally would play, this sounds about right to me for how much you would rest them. I think expecting 15-20 minutes out of them is not realistic in the NBL and don't think any team would take this route (especially when top spot in up for grabs)

Reply #848609 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe, its a 40 minute game and they are young, fit athletes... in my opinion they can handle that type of workload.
The Wildcats are in a run of six games in 11 days, while crossing the country multiple times, and those two in particular have logged massive minutes this season.

Sure, they're "young, fit athletes", but so are all the other players in the league who don't have that workload.

Also if you break it down, they would normally play 35-36 minutes per game right? so they were rested around half a qtr of basketball that they normally would play, this sounds about right to me for how much you would rest them. I think expecting 15-20 minutes out of them is not realistic in the NBL and don't think any team would take this route (especially when top spot in up for grabs)
Against a team as bad as Cairns, they should've been at 25 minutes tops.

Reply #848610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure that was the plan but the game was tight the whole way, and Perth still has their eye on top spot.

Reply #848628 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Kobe, 6 games in 11 days is tough, but if a 30+ year old Steph Curry can do it over the span of 72 games playing more than 30 minutes a night I am sure a 23 year old John Mooney and a 28 year old Bryce Cotton can do it. Again they played less than their usual minutes and I think that was always going to be the plan.

Reply #848633 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

if a 30+ year old Steph Curry can do it over the span of 72 games playing more than 30 minutes a night
Every NBA team plays 72 games. Fitness is relative.

Reply #848647 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

82 games, even.

Reply #848648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So fitness is relative for NBA players, but not for the two guys who play 35 minutes a night in the NBL?

Reply #848650 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Sorry for late reply Kobe, I wasnt saying one persons fitness against another, what I am saying is the volume NBL players play as opposed to an NBA player I am sure they can handle 35 minutes a game.

Reply #848743 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But they're not playing against NBA players. JFC.

They need to be fit compared to the players they're playing against.

Reply #848745 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Correct Kobe, and they are fit compared to the players they are playing against. Playing 35-37 minutes per night isnt going to wear them down to the point they are playing a game fatigued. Its a minutes level they can handle due to their fitness...

Reply #848746 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do you think all the other teams' players, who are playing less minutes on a lighter schedule, are completely out of shape or something?

Reply #848747 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I think the minutes say Cotton/Mooney play compared to other NBL players, with consideration of the amount of games they play isnt enough to fatigue a player in an upcoming game. Sure they will fatigue over the course of a game much like the players on the other team will... but after a game, rest up, light training or no training at all, your fitness levels recover for the following game. You dont enter it feeling fatigued.

Just my opinion, different to yours of course, I can see what you are saying though.

Reply #848749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754