GordonG
Years ago

Sobey Added to Boomers Squad

Australian Boomers Head Coach Brian Goorjian has announced the addition of Brisbane Bullets shooting guard Nathan Sobey to the squad for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

Following Sobey's impressive performances throughout the 2020-21 NBL season, Brian Goorjian said: "Nathan’s dominance and sustained consistency this season has been outstanding and led to his call-up to the Boomers squad.

“I know that he was really disappointed at missing the initial squad, but this didn’t deter him and the way that he has responded and taken his game to another level is a lesson for all players and he thoroughly deserves this opportunity.

“It’s great recognition and reward for Nathan and the Bullets who have provided a platform to excel.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do when he joins our squad in that environment".

Sobey, 30, is ranked second in the league averaging 22 points per game and achieved double figures in all 29 games. He has been equally as impressive in defence averaging over four steals per game and 4.6 rebounds.

A member of Australia’s 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup team, Nathan Sobey said: “It is always a special opportunity to have the chance to represent your country and I am very grateful to be picked for the squad.

“I was disappointed to miss out initially, but chose to work harder and was really focused on playing well for Bullets each week and leading by example”.

Bullets Head Coach Andrej Lemanis was delighted to see Sobey rewarded for his efforts and season so far.

“This is great recognition for the season Nathan is having and reflective of the growth we have all seen in him as a player and person,” said Lemanis.

“It is also a great example for all those who encounter disappointment along their journey that you have a choice as to your response. Blame and excuses are one choice, setting your mind to working and improving is another. It’s clear which one gives you the best chance to change your circumstances in a positive manner. I’m thrilled for Nathan and for our Club”.

In February, Basketball Australia (BA) announced a 24-man squad for Tokyo 2020 led by Joe Ingles and Patty Mills.

The Boomers pre-Olympic training camp will take place in the USA during July with specific details yet to be finalised. Information will be announced in due course.

Topic #48523 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

Well this should have been a no brainer. He'd be an outside chance to make it if everybody is fit and available, but if one or two of the top guards are out he'd be a great chance.

Reply #848909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No word on cotton...

Reply #848912 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No brainer, league MVP favourite and will likely make the final 12.

Reply #848915 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Well deserved. Long shot to make the 12 but has earned the right to be in the squad for consideration. Congrats NS.

Reply #848920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have all the NBA guys committed to play?

Reply #848923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton has been ruled out due to not getting his citizenship in time.

Reply #848924 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Cotton was ruled out, which seems to be why Sobey has been added. I think Sobey potentially gives you a more rounded game than Cotton anyway. But gotta feel for Cotton - he's been a model citizen and a star in Perth yet it has taken over two years just to get citizenship. It's a bit ridic

Reply #848929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's because of covid travel restrictions really. He was meant to be out of the country to get his visa approved but because he never left Perth it didn't get processed until the ministerial intervention a few months ago.

There was also some hold ups with the IOC I believe. Not sure of the specifics but apparently they were difficult to deal with.

Reply #848930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't love it ME, leave!

Reply #848932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont be shocked if he doesnt get Citizenship for atleast another 6-12 months

One of the more recent NBL examples

Kevin Lisch, arrived in 2009, got Citizenship in 2016

Cotton arrived in Jan 2017, so been here a shorter space of time than it took Lisch

Sure plenty of factors and timings involved, but they are both going through similar cicrumstances of playing NBL basketball, Aussie partner, aussie children, so not unrealistic to expect it to take a similar amount of time.

Reply #848937 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lisch played two seasons in Europe between NBL stints, so no, they're not similar at all.

Reply #848940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure, even if Cotton gets through the process 2 years quicker as a result, it still took Lisch 5 years of playing in Australia (not all consecutive), and being married to an Australian prior to becoming a Citizen

Hence why I said Similar not exactly the same.

Cotton has been In Australia for now 4 years ish, not all consecutive as he has headed back to the USA at times in the off seasons and had an offseason stint in Europe in 2018 too

Even at 5 years you are looking at Jan 2022 ish for Cotton, so I wont be shocked if it takes 6-12 months or more to happen

Also, everything is slower at the moment with COVID etc

Reply #848946 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sure, even if Cotton gets through the process 2 years quicker as a result, it still took Lisch 5 years of playing in Australia (not all consecutive), and being married to an Australian prior to becoming a Citizen
He got citizenship a year or so after coming back to the country.

Cotton has been In Australia for now 4 years ish, not all consecutive as he has headed back to the USA at times in the off seasons and had an offseason stint in Europe in 2018 too
Lisch spent two full years out of the country, that's not the same as a few months here or there.

And you assume they both started the process at the same time. Lisch may have just not bothered as early as Cotton did. If Cotton had been able to leave the country, he would've had his citizenship by now, given where he was at in the process.

Reply #848951 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Cotton may have his citizenship streamlined to an extent, but it was never going to be as quick as some people predicted.

My wife arrived in Australia 2 months after Cotton, has been in the country for all but 10 days of that (time out of the country matters) and has been considered a Permanent Resident for the last 3 years. She became eligible for citizenship in mid april and we're currently putting the docs together. The timeframe we've been given is around 18 months all up and up to a year just to get assessed.

Reply #848954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Immigration rules changed a lot since lisch got naturalised, they should have rang the afl boss, he can get people into the country on a phone call.

Reply #848955 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The timeframe we've been given is around 18 months all up and up to a year just to get assessed.
Which was the same timeframe Cotton was given almost two years ago.

Reply #848956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the immigration rules did recently change but Cotton applied under the old system which means he should have been out of the country when it was assessed. The Dept said they wouldn't automatically process applications under the new rules, meaning Cotton would either have to start again or get the minister to intervene which is what eventually happened.

Reply #848957 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Which was the same timeframe Cotton was given almost two years ago."

Surely that was to be eligible to apply as evidenced by the fact he only officially applied for his citizenship in February.

You have to have been a resident in Australia for 4 years including 1 year as a PR. Even ignoring the time Cotton spent out of the country, that means, without a lot of help, his best case scenario was being eligible to apply in January this year.

Given that seems to be what has happened, it would APPEAR any notion that he would have citizenship approved before now was a combination of wishful thinking and a misunderstanding.

Reply #848959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure when you apply as a Special Talent or whatever it's called, the timeframes are different.

Reply #848960 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Yes the immigration rules did recently change but Cotton applied under the old system which means he should have been out of the country when it was assessed. The Dept said they wouldn't automatically process applications under the new rules, meaning Cotton would either have to start again or get the minister to intervene which is what eventually happened."

So this is only in relation to obtaining certain visas. You don't ever have to be out of the country to get your citizenship. I think some of the confusion is people getting these two processes mixed up

Reply #848961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The over arching point is it seems to take around 5+ years in Australia to get citizenship, which is similar time it took Lisch, and even if Cotton was given it tomorrow he has been here 4.4 years so a similar amount of time, so dont be shocked if it takes a little longer after this NBL season and even another 6-12 months for him to get it, ie 5+ years.

I always said similar not the same, and the point was less about Lisch, more I wouldnt be expecting Cotton to get it much within 5 years since arriving.

I personally expect Cotton to be classed as an import at the start of next season, could be wrong, but dont be shocked if this is the case.

Given the rules that changed in 2017 its almost impossible to get it much quicker than 5 years, some basic criteria is

Applicants for citizenship by conferral would generally need to show that they meet the "General Residence" requirement.
This would mean showing that they have been present in Australia for at least:

The last 4 years, on any temporary, permanent or bridging visa, with a maximum of 12 months overseas; and
The last 12 months, on a permanent visa, with a maximum of 3 months overseas
Previously, it was possible to count time spent in Australia on a temporary visa or bridging visa towards the 4-year requirement in (1) above.
The announced changes would require that applicants hold a permanent visa for 4 years before applying. This would potentially require applicants to wait a further 3 years before applying for Australian citizenship.

Of course some pro athletes may be able to get things pushed through a little quicker at times, but I am personally not expecting this to be the case with Cotton.

This also lines up with the 5 plus years it took people I know from USA, China, Phillipenes, Sudan to get citizenship from when they arrived in Australia, obviously all applying etc at varying times etc, many of these friends applied at the earliest possible point too, which Cotton may not of.

Personally if I was placing a bet on it, id be betting on Jan 2022 being around the time frame.

Reply #848962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that's right. He applied for his visa under the old system, he should have been out of the country after last season but due to covid he couldn't leave. The govt didn't process his application because he didn't/couldn't follow the process, and that's why it was severely delayed.

If there was no covid he would have likely had his visa approved in the off season and then the citizenship process would have started.

Reply #848963 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"I'm pretty sure when you apply as a Special Talent or whatever it's called, the timeframes are different."

I believe that is false. You need to be a permanent resident to apply for citizenship (DT Visa confers this) but the timeframes are the same for all residents. 4 years (including at least one as PR)

Reply #848964 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Given that seems to be what has happened, it would APPEAR any notion that he would have citizenship approved before now was a combination of wishful thinking and a misunderstanding.
The way the story has been presented is that Cotton did a thing in October of 2019, then had to wait for it to be processed, after which he would be a citizen. The wait time for that was 12-18 months, and thus he was expected to get his Citizenship between October 2020 and May 2021, with the Wildcats optimistic it would be closer to 12 months than 18.

Given what's come out, it seems that what was done in October was the step before that, so yes, misunderstanding seems the likeliest explanation however you'd expect the Wildcats to be on top of it even if the media aren't, so their import strategy this season of "wait until Cotton's paperwork comes through" makes no sense.

Reply #848965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram is correct, and those rules have been in place since April 2017, which is just after Cotton arrived, so he wouldn't have qualified under any old systems.

Reply #848967 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I did a little more reading on the Distinguished Talent Visa and it does seem like if you can get it, you can actually apply for citizenship straight away (apologies to anon 960) so if he applied for that in Oct 2019 there would probably be a fair belief that he would have gotten that within 12 months and then be able to apply for his citizenship.

All seems fair to have thought it could go like that back in Oct 2019, but the fact that the DST took until this year to be sorted, it does seem strange that they seem to have kept the belief in the initial time frame.

Reply #848968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Wildcats stuffed up and were unrealistic in their expectation, which has proven to be the case. I hope they are now planning to start next season with Cotton as an import, I wouldn't assume differently until the day he actually becomes a citizen, which is hard to see happening prior to the new year.

Reply #848970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget the estimated timeframes. Cotton was all but ready to get his visa approved last off season but he couldn't complete the process because of the covid travel restrictions. If he had been able to get that sorted it would have been likely he'd be an Aussie citizen midway through the season.

Reply #848972 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Forget the estimated timeframes. Cotton was all but ready to get his visa approved last off season but he couldn't complete the process because of the covid travel restrictions. If he had been able to get that sorted it would have been likely he'd be an Aussie citizen midway through the season."

If it was rushed, sure.

But even if that were on the cards, why did they think that timeframe could be hit despite not yet having the correct visa?

Reply #848974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would imagine at the time they were in a bit of a no win situation. They either start the process again which would have taken longer, or they needed to pressure the government for intervention which is what eventually happened.

Between the rules changing and plenty of things being delayed by covid, I don't think they had much of a choice except to be optimistic.

Reply #848976 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Another reason for the delay was due to the federal immigration minister being unavailable once the Wildcats had arranged for political intervention via a local MP.

Reply #848978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the previous immigration minister was a Dutton protege so he would have been more focused on keeping brown people out of the country.

Reply #848980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know when the Boomers squad will be getting their COVID vaccinations? Given the recent kerfuffle about the swimmers'concerns with Pfizer second dose knocking them about, physically, for the Australian Championships, I’m wondering if there’s any concerns from NBL teams headed for playoffs, who have Boomers’ squad members?

Playoffs start in ~3 weeks and should take ~3 weeks. Then Boomers’ prep in USA would be 1-2 weeks after the playoffs end. Olympic tournament would start 1-2 weeks after that. Not sure where in that timetable they’ll fit in two shots with 3-4 weeks between them and a week to recover after the seocond shot, without risk of affecting either playoffs or Olympic preparation. Probable best to time the second shot at the end of June, first week of July, which would put first shot just before or in the first week of NBL playoffs?

Reply #848998 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good thing Cotton doesn't need a jab then.

Reply #849009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As if the Olympics are going ahead...

Reply #849011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's confirmed for America?

Reply #849014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Trump, Don Jr, Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Reply #849019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath has played a total of 10 minutes in three game in the GF series in the aba. He's basically warmed the bench all season. How do some of these players make the team. The aba is nowhere as tough as it was as the money in these countries are struggling.

Reply #849298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With cotton out, cuts and poor performers, list is now 19

Mills - lock
Dellavedova - lock
Goulding - lock
Sobey
Exum
Thybulle - lock
Green
Creek
Broekhoff
Ingles - lock
Giddey
Cooks
Kay
Simmons - lock
Motum
Landale - lock
Baynes - lock
Maker
Humphries

Onky 4 spots open imo. 2 of which must be post players.

Reply #849993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj said he's taking Giddey and green. You would think Kay has to be in, Humphries injured, Maker not playing and no good. Motum has had a great season in Turkey and now in France. Cooks could be a chance now.

Reply #850012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks has zero chance

Reply #850014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey too early imo, defense and shooting is needed. It's the now not oh let’s take one for future BS.

Reply #850015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks should be zero chance but the bodies are thin on the ground.

Reply #850016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks is versatile and athletic, would not suprise me if he beats out kay.

Reply #850017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#017 it's too early to be drinking straight from the cask

Reply #850024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My Latest Boomers team

Baynes/Humphries
Landale/Motum
Ingles/Thybulle
Mills/Goulding/Green
Simmons/Delly/Giddey

Nick Kay as next in line and could take the spot of Humphries or Motum without me being too concerned

Reply #850026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With goorj,

S5
Simmons - guards the 4 on d
Mills - guards the 1 on d
Ingles - guards the 3 on d
Thybulle - guards the 2 on d
Baynes - guards the 5 on d

Reply #850030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut says cooks is a must.

Reply #850032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's nice to have friends, Bogut. The kings last season performed a lot better with Moller in the team than Cooks, not saying he should be picked. Most kings supporters on games I’ve been to also think this.

Reply #850041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has played 4 games for the kings and the only reason he suited up was to be eligible for finals. The Boomers are not taking someone who probably wont even be back to match fitness by the time Tokyo rolls around.

Reply #850044 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754