Anonymous
Years ago

$9.50 a game

Can someone please explain how BASA can justify charging $9.50 to play a game of basketball?
I certainly do not think it's to cover the "quality" referees on offer.
Has to cost of running a basketball competition really increased that much over 12 months? I think not.
Paying almost $10 for a game of basketball, you would think there would be:
A/ Decent referees who don't let 90% of fouls slip by, simply so they can get home in time to watch 'Last Man Standing';
B/ Stadiums that don't resemble a tin shed;
C/ More than 1:30 warm up time.

Topic #4858 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its an absolute disgrace.

They almost need EFTPOS on the door or ATMs in stadiums.

For Div 1 players to have to pay at all is a joke.

Reply #55899 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

They can justify it because I roughly worked out that it would bring an extra $25-30 000 a week. The umpires and running costs are just an excuse to put up prices. The dome is the reason it all went up.

Reply #55900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

other sports are going through the same trend , indoor cricket has risen from $7 a game to $9.50 agame as well

mate that plays indoor soccer pays $10 a game now

i cant comment on the state of the umpiring in BB but i know in cricket since they started paying the umps more the standard of game has got better

but even so its getting harder to be able to afford to play sports these days

Reply #55901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something is being done at the moment to help people still play basketball without having to donate a kidney.

Break away league anyone?

Reply #55918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

breakaway league? sounds great! where do i sign up?

Reply #55920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the quality of referring will increase with the costs...

Reply #55924 | Report this post

lionel  
Years ago

.. by the way .. some refs need to take a serious look at their attitude towards summer season - twice already this season I have heard refs say - "who cares it is only summer season" - wrong attitude.

Before all the refs come on here and reply - please be aware that I said "some refs". Others have been outstanding - and funnily enough they have a positive attitude to summer season.

Reply #55927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they could use some of the money to fix the game clocks and shot clocks. Last week we played with no clock, scoreboard or shot clock and this week no shot clock.

Reply #55931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...before you blame the referees, I hear when the price for players & sepactators went up, the refs only got 20 cents extra per game.

Reply #55939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would you believe Spectators even ? Doh!

Reply #55940 | Report this post

lionel  
Years ago

Re: 55939

So some umpires response to the 20 cent pay rise (ridiculous I agree) is to take a half-assed approach

Reply #55945 | Report this post

travelled  
Years ago

interstate it was 412 a game - and that was it!

but it injected more money into the system - we had stadiums with air con, resturants, bars and well maintained

Reply #55951 | Report this post

travelled  
Years ago

sorry should have been $12 a game

fat fingers

Reply #55952 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

The danger as i see it is that the refs are going to be in for even more abuse.

Already heard a few " i am paying $10 for you to call that crap" lines.

More refs being abused leads to refs not wanting to ref leads to even less refs.

From what i have heard none of the money raised is going to the refs.

It is all just a side issue to get more money into the debts that BASA has.

Reply #55954 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

As a comparison for other senior grades, what do people playing B-C-D grade cricket have to pay to play? A1-A10 footy? Senior Netball at ETSA Park on Saturday mornings in Winter? Amatuer Soccer?

Reply #55963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whinge whinge f*&king Whinge!!! pay the money and stop whinning! If its too much, dont play, its that simple!

Reply #55967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought $7.50 to pay a game of social bball was bad, but $9.50, that's just ridiculous!

Reply #55968 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

Anon

why should the people be forced to cover the debt of the dome and Wayville?

The excuse that the money is to go to refs is a con for the most part. I dont think people would mind if that is what it was for but it is a hike to cover BASA buts and debts.

The sport will die at a grass roots level if mums and dads are forced to decide between what their kid wants to play and what they can afford to let their kid play, let alone going to watch them play.

Most people play twice a week. Teams will start folding simply because of the expense at a social level.

The thing that annoys me is that the hike comes just weeks after money for nominations has been collected.

Wonder if teams would have nominated knowing that there would be a price hike in the near future?

Reply #55972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#55967)

Three people in my team have to play three times a week. That's almost $30. Plus one of them lives at Hallett Cove, which is a good $5 petrol trip up and back (if they play at the dome, which is common), plus training. So shut up. Not everyone's mum and dad's pays for their ticket (which is obviously what happens in your case)

Reply #55975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your mates don't HAVE to play three times a week, they CHOOSE to play three times a week.

While I agree that $9.50 a game is perhaps a little high, nobody is holding a gun to your head. By the same token, it would be nice if the players and spectators could see the benefit of the extra cash. Most facilities could use a bit of a "refresh", and I'm sure the refs deserve a slice of the action.

All that said, I will continue to play because I enjoy it - it's worth the $9.50. I'd be even happier if I had a clear understanding of where my money was going to.

Reply #56013 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I still think spectators should be free. Going into a cold empty stadium with no supporters does nothing to promote the sport to others.think of the money in the bars and cantens if more spectators went? Think back to state Champs when it is a team fee and the stadiums are full of relatives and friends.I realise we are talking about adults in the social comp .

Reply #56017 | Report this post

no-game  
Years ago

the way the refs and this league is going we might as well play in kb's sunday sesssions with no refs would be the same

Reply #56031 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

in reference to post about what do other sports play

got a run down of some other sports here

Indoor Cricket Senior player

Depending on Center $9 - $11 per game

Junior Indoor Cricket $6.50

Outdoor Cricket

District - $250 - $350 in fees dep on club plus $10 - $15 per match

Junior $80 - $120 plus $5 per match

other assoc vary from

$120 a season to $350 a season and $5 - $10 per match

dont know bout football but thats what cricketers play

Umpires in Indoor cricket vary from $15 a match (jn) to $25 a match senior

Outdoor Umps $50 - $75 a day

Reply #56039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomo, you are comparing apples with oranges. A b/ball game goes for 40 mins. A cricket game goes for most of the day in some cases.

Reply #56057 | Report this post

David Seaman  
Years ago

Div1 amatuer soccer,

per season = $50 subs fee

clubs pay for refs out of admission charges and profits from kitchen / bar.

Reply #56110 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

indoor cricket 50 - 60 mins mate not all day

and i was responding to apost asking about other sports

Reply #56222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On this thread i've heard that the reason the fee's are increasing is to pay for the dome's expenses. If we managed to fill the Dome for the 36ers games, would the fees still have increased so dramatically?

Reply #57877 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

But Dome repayments are suspended until 2008....do we have other debts we don't know about? (ie Wayville?)

Reply #57881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BASA owe Unley Council $500,000 for a loan BASA took out for wateva at Wayville, on an interest only basis and in return Unley Council have a 2nd Mortgage over The Dome. Last I heard the Unley Council wanted their loan repaid as the Interest only period had expired and BASA were trying to get it extended (wonder why!!!!???). NFI what the status is on that loan now though.

Reply #57884 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754