Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide v Perth May 23

Perth absolutely tossed the snakes around like a rag doll on Friday night and this afternoon they are in Adelaide hoping to do the same. They are still a game behind United and look like they might stay there.

Adelaide have had a season mixed with mis-fortune. When baking the cake for the season Coach Henry took out the pepper grinder to add a bit of drama to the mix, but it seems the lid fell off and a bit too much drama went in. Oh, how the season would have been without key injuries, but still Sixers fans can raise their voice against the floppycats today.

This will be the Sixers GF, so they might as well make it a good one against the arch rival. My kiss of death, sadly, will go to Perf who are on a roll.

Topic #48592 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Years ago

Is 1 Cotton worth 1 Giddey + 1 Humphries?
Perth by 2.

Reply #849278 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Great question. What's the answer? Put that simply, it's a fairly even match-up but Perth will win, easily.

Perfect time to rest the Silk, when Giddy & Humph out.

Reply #849280 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Could be a record setting away win here for Perth

Reply #849283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Cotton today. Will likely be an extremely boring game which will suit Adelaide.

Reply #849285 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

On the contrary, could be really interesting. Knowing that there's no Cotton, in advance, reckon we'll see what the rest of the team has from go to woe.

Reply #849286 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

...or does the result not matter?

Reply #849287 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth trying to keep it interesting then

Reply #849288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant because Adelaide is the most boring city in the country then they'd be used to this.

Reply #849291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide is a great place.

No Cotton will be interesting, still think Perth get this. Cats by 6.

Reply #849292 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If Dech puts as much energy into Norton as he usually does into Cotton then it could get very ugly for Perth's offence.

Reply #849297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech starting on the bench, good move, he's been average lately.

Reply #849309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze summary of Pinder season on the money, not much except for a few weeks. Pinder on bench after a couple minutes with two fouls.

Good crowd in.

Reply #849311 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This feels like the NBA now with all of these pointless games.

Reply #849312 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

DJ looks sweaty af already

Reply #849313 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Panel show commentary because the game is so irrelevant

All the hypotheticals

Reply #849314 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

- should we have an all defensive team
- should Adelaide resign Paul
- is Dech a starter on a championship team
- how good are Adelaide if IH/Giddey play whole season

First 7mins of first quarter

Reply #849315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh now on two fouls, Sixers need a solid defensive 4.

Reply #849316 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Can someone buy Adelaide a cheeseburger...they sound so desperate.

Reply #849319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the dog didn't stop in the middle of road for a crap, it would not have got run over.

Australian commentary should be made to take lessons from that nz two.

Reply #849320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The offer for Gleeson is from China and not Japan

Reply #849321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze also said that he'd heard Gleeson has been approached by a very high paying job in Asia. This will be interesting.

Reply #849323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth looking crap right now.

Reply #849325 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Magnay is so out of touch hes fumbling everything. Hopefully they can get him going by the finals

Reply #849326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Gleeson goes to China I'm betting Kay will be there.

Reply #849330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does blanch get dropped for no call, yet dech gets an and 1, it's just confusing

Reply #849332 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

We can't even beat the Wildcats without Cotton. This is disappointing.

Reply #849333 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Onya Cats.
Not pretty but very solid.

Reply #849334 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Gleeson might have been approached but he ain't going. His wife and kids are very happy in Perth.

Reply #849335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Gleeson is offered the right money he can set himself up for life, do a few years and be free.

Reply #849338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson China
Forde Perth back with family
Sydney vacant
Brisbanebvacant

Reply #849339 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide players aren't playing like they care and they aren’t playing like they want contracts.

Dillon Pinder and Crocker only ones with energy...

Reply #849346 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Humphries/Sotto
F DJ/Pinder
F Dech/McVeigh
G Import/Rigoni
G Import/White

Stuff it - poach Isaac White, sign Rigoni have SA players that can splash the three.

Sign a passing guard Giddey style to work with IH; sign a scoring SG, move Dech to SF.

Reply #849347 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

- should we have an all defensive team

Sure, why not

- should Adelaide resign Paul

Really depends on how much he would cost and who else is available.
Good shooter and can be a disruptive defender, but I've never a seen a more
athletic guy so incapable of getting to the rim! If they can get a great
point guard and still afford him, it could work.

- is Dech a starter on a championship team

Not yet, but he could be, if he keeps working on his game. Lost confidence
with his 3pt shot halfway through the season. Needs to shore that up,
improve his playmaking and his finishing at the rim.

- how good are Adelaide if IH/Giddey play whole season

Highly likely they would have finished 4th, but I doubt they would have had the offensive execution to really challenge Melbourne in the playoffs. To be fair though, Brisbane lost Law and Sydney lost Vasiljevic, Louzada and Cooks. Throw those guys back in as well and it would've been very close.

Reply #849348 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

KET, I wonder if McDowell-White will be available next season? He may not want to be stuck behind Tai Webster in NZ? Looked good in the couple of games I saw him.

He has good size for a point, was a pest defensively, can get into the paint and find open team-mates too. Has the 4th best assist average in the league and very low TOs.

Shooting is his main weakness, but if you had Dech, Paul and DJ out there with him, you'd probably have enough shooting around him. If they save a bit of money there instead of forking out for an elite PG (who might still turn out to be trash) maybe they can afford to find two high quality imports?

It would be nice to find another SA born guy who can contribute off the bench as well. Maybe its worth looking at guys like Daly or Spear? Both seem to be doing well for Sturt, who are 6-0 this season.

Reply #849350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone that mentions Dech in any NBL side is deluded sorry. I don't like his game what so ever.

Reply #849352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dech is a brilliant defender - that's unnecessarily harsh.

I’d be happy to throw the reigns to McDowell-White at PG, Adelaides import hit rate is pretty bad at the best of times

Reply #849353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon Paul will get offers from nearly every NBL club. He's just unfortunate he landed at Adelaide to start. He would be amazing next to Cotton.

Reply #849354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon Paul is a budget import, compared to Randolph at breakers he's average. Pinder is not the answer either. Get import 1 and 4 of top quality at both ends or chase an Aussie 4, Kay, Cooks. WMW is a good point if wishing to stay in Australia, needs to play up tempo a bit more.

Reply #849358 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Games like that get my head spinning...

Adelaide played like their season is over.
Perth played like they knew Adelaide's season was over.
Adelaide played like they knew that Perth knew, but just didn't care.

In such circumstance, I'm never sure whether to hope that Perth gets a low-intensity workout, or hope that Adelaide salvages some pride.
In the end, without Cotton, I was kinda hoping that the rest of Perth would go to town. Oh well.

I suppose Perth are still a theoretical chance to overtake MU, so a win is a win.

Reply #849360 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Paul is a very good player but his game has gone down hill as the season has gone on. Its more a case of poor coaching and no system at the sixers than opposition scouting. Would love to see him in a wildcats jersey

Reply #849373 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Agreed.

Paul is a decent player that can half flashes of a star player.

I think he could be a great Terrico White type of player, not the go guy but can do in a pinch, but a good 2nd or 3rd option within a decent system.

Obviously that system does not exist in Adelaide or under Henry.

I initially thought this season was hampered by injuries, more and more I am coming to the conclusion its equally hampered by the head coach.

Reply #849376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech can be a starter on a championship team if it's built the right way for him aka like cats teams with a primarily defensive 1 in Martin and norton. Brandon Paul would be elite in a system that well is actually a system. Look at blanchfield, he is looking very very good atm.

Perth 6th game in 11 days with cross country travel!! No excuses for Adelaide they should have snatched that.

Reply #849378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please don't have Dech and Martin in the same sentence. Martin was elite at game structure and management, was reliable shooter before injuries. Dech, yes can play defence but needs lots improvement in other aspects.

Reply #849380 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You just did it

Reply #849382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My apologies.

Reply #849383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one said dech was Martin! But for him to be successful he would need to be in a team structure that does not require him to be a scorer. Martin was never an elite shooter. However I think there is a stat where he shot over 35% or so from 3 every year they won and sub 30 when cats didn't. Martin can also get up more than Dech but give Sunday credit, he has worked incredibly hard

Reply #849384 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Martin shot almost 50% from three in 2010.

Reply #849387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is saying Dech hasn't worked had, he’s done well. He’s just not Martin and probably never will be.

Reply #849389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the thinking of peoples line ups for next year,

My team is something like

Humphries
Ashley type - An athltic 4/5 who plays with energy at both ends
Paul - I think will look better in a line up like this and in hopefully a faster paced offense
Roberson type - A scoring Combo guard, great shooter, can average 20ppg, and run the point when required
McDowell-White

Sato
Johnson - now 33, id move him to the 6th man role as an impact scorer off the bench which also will help cover his defensive deficiencies and lack of hustle
Pinder
McVeigh
Dech
I White

A coach who coaches a higher paced, higher scoring offence and puts the ball in the hands of the import scorers

That may be beyond the 36ers budget, but thats what I'd be aiming for

Reply #849417 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't want to see Brandon Paul anywhere near the Sixers next season. Aside from not being that good it's been obvious from about 4-5 games in that he's just playing 'bruise-free' basketball to try and avoid injury for his next contract. A bit like Hobson at the Hawks last season although admittedly Paul is putting in more effort than he did.

Tony Crocker would actually be a nice re-signing he plays as hard as he possibly can unlike Paul he's a better shooter than Paul too and does occasionally get hot from outside. As a cheaper second or third string import next season I would welcome his return especially if we lose McVeigh.

Reply #849420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea fair call re Brandon Paul

Replace him on my suggested line up with DJ Newbill

Reply #849435 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I would like to see Brandon Paul in the league but I doubt he would like to be in Adelaide next season.

I think he is a decent import, at the right (mid tier) price tag I think he is serviceable and decent value for money.

If the league goes back to three imports, he would be a decent 2nd import.

If the league stays at 2 imports, you may not want him to be the Alpha import, it has mixed results or you need a system that will utilise his skill sets.

Reply #849440 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

To the last Anon:

With DJ and Humphries as key players and Conner coaching, I can't see us playing a fast pace. It was fun for awhile under Joey, but IMO, unless we somehow have all the best athletes with the best basketball IQs, that strategy is not going to win a title very often.

If you'd asked me earlier in the season, I would've said we need a good import 4. But Pinder really turned it around in the second half. He's still got to get smarter to avoid early foul trouble, but what big man doesn't in the NBL?

Other than that, he's shown he is exactly what you are asking for - an athletic 4 who plays with energy on both ends. I'd rather the Sixers invest in him than gamble on another import 4, who will more than likely underwhelm and if he's any good, will leave for a bigger pay-check!

I'd rather save the money there and spend big on one or two imports to try to increase our chances of actually getting someone who is a game-changer. We've literally only had one import worth remembering since Farley and that was Childress.

Moving DJ to the bench is a possibility in the next year or two. I think he will probably continue to start next season, but play less minutes against some matchups. A lot will also depend on how well Humphries and Pinder play and if they can avoid injury.

Reply #849446 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

a game-changer. We've literally only had one import worth remembering since Farley and that was

Some chap called Jerome who was MVP?

Reply #849448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long way from being convinced Pinder is the answer, isn't he supposedly on big money as well. If as suggested he’s on 200k or near, I don’t see it. Don’t forget 200k is 100k for season just gone but it’s 200k in the salary cap.

Reply #849449 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Randle was a great mid-range shooter Lovebroker, but he talked a lot of trash and then choked when the Hawks put the pressure on. If he actually could create for his team-mates and wasn't a liability on defence, then we probably would have won a title, but he couldn't and we didn't. His second stint with us he was well past his best and never should've been signed. He was flashy, but he just is not memorable for me.

Reply #849460 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lol, I'm not certain Pinder is 'the answer' either! I just think he showed enough the second half of the season that he might be a better bet than bringing in another import 4. I'd definitely give him another contract to see what he can become in the NBL. No idea on cost, but I would be surprised if he is as expensive as a good import 4!

Reply #849461 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think that's been a large part of the reason for the criticism of Pinder's play because he is supposedly on around import level money. If that is true and he's not willing to take a pay cut next season then let him go even though he has improved a fair bit in the second half of the season.

Reply #849471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Bairstow from Perth ahead of Pinder, he’s been very serviceable and has a reasonable iq. Id say he costs a lot less as well. Yes to Pinder has improved though, how much improvement is left though, he’s certainly a favourite of the coaching staff.

Reply #849477 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754