Senator11
Years ago

Bryce Cotton out for regular season

Only 3 games left, has a haematoma in his quad.

Topic #48602 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bet you it was that decal slip against the bullets

Reply #849452 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Nah that was his groin injury, to get a haematoma you kind of need to be hit pretty hard in that spot, so he must've copped a bad corkie in the last few weeks.

Reply #849453 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well the rest of the season just got boring. Melbourne have qualified for the grand final already, Perth and the Phoenix will play in the other semi, nothing else matters.

Reply #849454 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hodgson kept sticking his knee out on screens in that game.

Reply #849455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering what the injury is I'd say it has more to do with a couple of screens he got from the Brisbane bigs.

Reply #849456 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yeah, those knees prob did it over multiple occasions. I'd say he's good to go, but they'd be taking every precaution to have him 110% for finals and are backing themselves to be able to take a United home game if they get in.

Reply #849457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So maybe dropping a knee into the map should be a foul??

Reply #849459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could open up kings for a chance of 4th spot. They probably still can't win there but it helps with him out, Ware might not try play hero ball so much.

Reply #849463 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure he copped a cork in one of the Tassie games vs NZ

Reply #849466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad news.

Reply #849467 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bad corkies can linger so there is a chance this could effect Perth's playoff run. Better to forego chasing United for top spot and sit him out for the last three rounds whilst crossing their fingers he will be okay come the start of the playoffs.

If as expected they end up playing SEM in the Semi's that could be a very interesting series.

Reply #849472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Estimating recovery for this procedure is 1-4 weeks, and the fact he played well against Cairns on the Friday shows that he wasn't too impacted during the game. Here's hoping its at the lower end of potential severity.

Reply #849474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As well as being the mvp, he's also a tough rooster. Mooney probably gets mvp for this season now and deservedly.

Reply #849478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think missing four games takes him out of mvp contention

Reply #849480 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton needed a rest anyway so it's good to see him put on ice before the playoffs.

Reply #849487 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He actually had surgery for it, hopefully no complications. :/

Reply #849512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hows that 3 peat looking now?

Reply #849517 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It feels good to be on a hat trick.

Reply #849521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ doubt it does

Reply #849523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the wildcats will need a * when they miss out on the 3 peat. * No Cotton. "Oh but if we had Cotton we would have won."

Reply #849524 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Win or lose it's good to know each season the anons will award us with a *.

Reply #849528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe a *PC. Pre Covid and Post Cotton.

Reply #849532 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ooof, article this morning said they won't risk Cotton's health and if he misses some of the playoffs then so be it, they'll try to win without him. Damn, I presume he'll miss a few games of the first series at the very least.

Reply #849549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hows that 3 peat looking now?"

Are you happy that he's injured?

Reply #849553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly not but if it shuts up the stupid Perth supporters so be it.

Reply #849562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who do you support #562?

Reply #849565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be nice, it's not that hard.

Reply #849570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The low gutter language feral posters here should be banned. I guess you've been to Centrelink today and got you paycheck. Who I support does it matter? The continuous dribble about 3 peats and how good were are is sickening. It's like a kindergarten here with the mentality of some 'fans'. Gutter level language only proves how dumb some people are here.

Reply #849573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Celebrates an injury, complains about swearing. Yep, top bloke.

Reply #849577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfotunately arseholes like you simply denegrate the forum here. He's injured. Move on.

Reply #849578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No gutter language please.

Reply #849579 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

'The continuous dribble about 3 peats and how good were are is sickening.'

No different from the continuous, "cat's won't make finals this year", "cat's can't win without a 3rd import", "Cotton is being played too many minutes, they can't win come finals". The 'salt' is real...

Reply #849581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats have won five of the last seven titles. If the fans celebrating that is sickening to you, it says more about your insecurity than anything else.

Reply #849582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like Collingwood in the AFL, everyone likes to see them lose. Perth are the Collingwood of the NBL. Everyone likes to see them lose

Reply #849583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how does them winning five titles in seven years make you feel?

Reply #849584 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yep, comparing a footy club who has recent controversy's such as racism, assault, rape, and paedophilia to a club that has probably been one of the most professional sporting clubs in Australia, if not the most. You should be angry at your own blubs for not at least trying to emulate this for your own success.

Reply #849585 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

*clubs, not blubs...

Reply #849586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People have hated Collingwood since time began. It has nothing to do with any of their recent drama.

Reply #849587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This sounds like a "you" problem. Good luck with getting through it.

Reply #849589 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't think the Wildcats can get past full strength SEM without Cotton.

Reply #849592 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Is every series a 5 game series? I can't even remember? If it's 5 then I like our chances better, Cotton maybe misses the first 2.

SEM are peaking as well...it's gonna be tough, if the Cats can snag one without him, that would be nice.

Reply #849593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Semi's 3, GF 5.

Reply #849596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 1 will be crucial. If you drop at home and then head to SEM it could be straight sets.

Reply #849597 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ah, yeah, that's definitely going to be tough with no Cotton. Norton will have to shutdown Sykes without getting into foul trouble. Mooney and Magnay will have to takeaway Creek's inside game and make him shoot long jumpers, they both should be too strong for Wetzel and Moore on the offensive end. Then i guess Blanchfield, Steindl and Wagstaff are going to have to be lights out from beyond the arc.

I can't see Cotton missing all 3 games, but then again an Eagles player missed 6 weeks a few years back with the same issue... :/

Reply #849599 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I can't see Cotton missing all 3 games
If he misses the first two there won't be a third one.

Reply #849619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's it Coach Kobe has spoken

Reply #849638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never underestimate Gleeson ability to cover player loss, though Cotton would be a major loss.

Reply #849641 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Melbourne clubs having to play at a neutral location could level the playing field.

Reply #849661 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Never underestimate Gleeson ability to cover player loss, though Cotton would be a major loss.

Perth Vs Adelaide SF, Game 2 at Perth, the year United won.

Cotton was on fire in the first quarter, then started getting cramps or something on the legs in the second and couldn't play any further.

Despite Perth having a good lead, Adelaide came back and swept Perth.

This is Perth without Cotton.

Reply #849668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was three seasons ago and Perth have made sure they've had better scorers around him since then.

Reply #849673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be ready for the semi's

Reply #849685 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sounds like he's done for the year.

Congrats United.

Reply #849736 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Either he's done for the season, or Trev is playing some major mind games right now.

Reply #849738 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I reckon SEM has got this over United.

Congrats Phoenix

Reply #849743 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The thing I hate most is now LV gets his stupid all-Victorian grand final he's been crowing about.

Reply #849745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His much maligned claim of $6.50 being a bargain for SEM is looking pretty smart now isn't it.

Reply #849748 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, because the intelligence of a proclamation can only be measured with respect to the information available at the time.

I'm basically done with this season. It was bad enough when there were only two decent teams, now that there's only one and we're sitting through endless clashes of wooden spoon teams it's just not worth the effort. Bleeding into the NBL1 and junior rep seasons is bad enough, but when there's not a competitive product on the floor...

Reply #849751 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL Cup has ruined everything. The $300K LK got from the Victorian government wasn't worth it.

Reply #849758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton runs into one unfortunately placed knee and the whole of Perth throws their toys out of the cot!

Reply #849759 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah because it's not like anyone has been complaining how boring the NBL is over the last month.

Reply #849761 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

For me it's not so much that it's been boring - we looked to be in for a tight finish for top spot at the very least only a week ago - but the overlap with the winter seasons is just too much. Four games on Fridays, five games on Saturdays, and three games on Sundays is just burning me out. There hasn't been a single day off from the NBL in two or three weeks, and won't be for another couple of weeks yet.

The fact that most of the games meant nothing was just making it worse, and now that none of the games mean anything I can't summon any energy whatsoever.

The season should've been wrapped up a month ago, the Cup was a terrible idea.

Reply #849762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The $300K LK got from the Victorian government wasn't worth it." It sure was LK will always chase the cash and look what's happened now. Perth using the were are fatigued card.

Reply #849764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$300K and someone other than Perth winning the title, most likely LK's team Melbourne, Id say LK would call that a success as would many non Perth fans.

Reply #849765 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha "LK took my championship"

Re fatigue: That's what happens when you’re so isolated from the rest of society.

It also produces a bubble inducing self-centric delusions and wild Trumped up conspiracy theories that would make the GOP blush!

Reply #849767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What?

Reply #849768 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth's issue is more a lot of physical travel than playing so many games in so few days - there's really not much that can be done to get around that.

36ers did something similar at the start of the season, lots of games in few days, without the travel

Reply #849770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All sides are playing lots of games in a few days, Sydney went nz and now on way to Perth. The nba play back to back sometimes. It's just an injury, it happens.

Reply #849772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone blaming Perth's travel schedule for the injury?

Reply #849773 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed #772

#773 yeah

By the way if Cotton is out for finals, that would suck - we always want the best possible talent on the court for finals

Reply #849774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you please highlight the posts blaming the travel schedule? I can't see anything even close to it.

Reply #849775 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson has come out and said (9 News Perth talking with Pav) he doesn't expect Bryce Cotton to return for the remainder of the season, including finals.....unless he makes some kind of miracle recovery.

Reply #849778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To me the timeline of events is pretty clear. He copped a couple of corkies in the Brisbane game, he travelled home and played two nights later against Cairns (he played well too) and then the next day this bruising flared up but he was already ruled out of the Adelaide game and didn't travel. So I'm not sure how the travel schedule comes into it at all.

Reply #849779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Trevor Gleeson has come out and said (9 News Perth talking with Pav) he doesn't expect Bryce Cotton to return for the remainder of the season, including final"

And do you believe him?

Reply #849780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'll be the miracle recovery, he’s just getting every side off there guard.

Reply #849781 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

I believe its a pretty serious injury, will just have to wait and see if there's enough time left for him to recovery and get back on the court. For everyone's sake I hope he does, at this point its really only a two horse race and I don't think Perth can beat Melbourne without Cotton.

Reply #849786 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

By the way if Cotton is out for finals, that would suck - we always want the best possible talent on the court for finals

Some are revelling in the fact he may be ruled out altogether. The hate and jealousy is unbelievable.

Reply #849809 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think I’ve seen that from posters - 99% of us should want the NBL to be as strong and competitive as possible.

If I’m paying the amount they charge for tickets these days, I want to see the best players - I’d want to see my team beat a full side not an injured side.

Reply #849822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. It was just one poster here who thought it was good to see Cotton miss the finals so it would shut the Perth fans up, but as an adult I don't judge an entire fanbase on the idiotic comments of one outlier.

Reply #849826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Kendal would be a good addition at this point? Ain't no cotton but it’s better than white

Reply #849856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Luke

Reply #849858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd want cotton to play because that way they won't have an excuse for why a Melb team won

Reply #849880 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think #856 meant Jeremy.

Reply #849899 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

At this point, it would be literally pointless to add anybody, as they can't qualify for the finals, so they'll go with the squad they have.

The NBL cup was a risk, and we got lucky. But I think that counting the games was always going to create a problem. It left Cairns, Adelaide, and even NZ, basically screwed. That's resulted in a lot of dead rubbers at the end of the season.

For mine, the finals just got interesting.

Granted, the blockbuster last game, with GF HCA on the line, just got fucked. But even so. Perth win that game, take top spot, and it was all over. Send the trophy to the engravers.

But this puts everything up for grabs.

I actually think an all Lilliputlian final would be great for the NBL. Keep in mind that the record crowd was at such a final, and it would be great to see that tested.

But it's not going to happen. I'd put money on that.

MU still has to get past Goorj. The guy who's won more finals than anybody else. (I think Vickers can do it, but its far from assured.)

And if you think that rube from the phoenix is going to outcoach Gleeson. No Cotton makes it harder, but as they say, defense wins finals.

Reply #849903 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Melbourne teams will sweep the semis.

Reply #849906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Still trying to process this injury and an even wilder year off the court. This whole season was dedicated to you from the very beginning so if I've played my last game this season, which I’m sure I have, I hope I made you proud. Rest In Peace lil bro and I’ll never stop striving. I promise"
Byrce on instsa

Reply #849907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Kendoll just celebrated his 40th birthday! I doubt his services will be required ;)

Reply #849911 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Melbourne will win again because of a key injury.

Reply #849916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats overplayed Cotton and poor recruiting they didn't have the depth in the guard position. Cottons age is creeping up so if they plan to rely on him again next year they definitely need more backcourt talent to support.

There are big potential guards in free agency this year - hopefully better recruiting this time.

Reply #849919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cottons age is creeping up

He's 28. He is entering his prime.

Reply #849920 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The "Cats overplayed Cotton" line is actually BS. Cotton strives to be the best, aims for NBA and would be playing back 2 backs every week with 3-5 games per week if he was in fact at in the NBA and a starter.

Reply #849922 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think many underestimate Norton, but even alongside MVP-level Cotton, they were still a guard short. Who gets the bulk of the guard minutes now?

Reply #849923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl and Shervill

Reply #849924 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The "Cats overplayed Cotton" line is actually BS. Cotton strives to be the best, aims for NBA and would be playing back 2 backs every week with 3-5 games per week if he was in fact at in the NBA and a starter.

This is nitpicking but he should not have been put back on against Cairns once they were leading by 20.

Reply #849927 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Melbourne will win again because of a key injury.

They're so lucky.

Reply #849928 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"This is nitpicking but he should not have been put back on against Cairns once they were leading by 20."

This is true, but it happens fairly often, it sounds like the damage was done already though.

Reply #849933 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, an unrelated (much more temporary) bit of damage was done in that Cairns game. Trev didn't want to put him back in, but lost his nerve with how badly we were choking our lead away.

Reply #849964 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Not a good sign for the playoffs if they cant even hold off Cairns without cotton on the floor. I'd like to see corey sherville get more minutes now. He's done nothing wrong when given opportunities but trev seems to have lost confidence in him the second half of the season.

Reply #849976 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"The Melbourne teams will sweep the semis"

I'll take that action.

Chances of them both making it are less than 50%, and chances of both sweeping are slim

Reply #849978 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Chances of them both making it are less than 50%,
Last I checked, 100% was higher than 50%.

Reply #849985 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

All depends on Cotton's status

If SEM is healthy and Cotton is playing underdone, SEM will win the series IMO.

It's difficult to know how healthy a guy is just from watching though.

Even if Cotton is healthy and firing I expect a tight series.

Reply #850059 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cotton won't be playing at all. Keep up.

Reply #850063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will wait until the game day until I believe cotton is officially ruled out. I reckon we see him back on the practice court within the next two weeks.

Reply #850071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DR Kobe has spoken. Let's hope he's right for once.

Reply #850115 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"We'll keep the door open for him and hope he has a speedy recovery. But we're not planning on him joining us any time soon.

"At this stage we hope he's back. But being realistic, I don't think he'll be back for the first lot of finals.

Reply #850117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you see the first bit of finals? I read into that that they expect to win that part of the series....

Reply #850130 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

From the limited information available, and my even more limited medical knowledge, it seems that originally they thought it was simply a matter of draining the haematoma, but when they did that they discovered more severe damage, maybe damaged blood vessels that required stitches or similar. Given its in his muscle, that basically means he can't strain it until it heals. I would think that would be at least a few weeks.

Reply #850194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be amazing as well as unlikely that Gleeson could manufacture a championship without Cotton. You never know though.

Reply #850196 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

How disappointing for the NBL if Cotton misses the semi finals.

SEM will sweep them.

Reply #850203 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Who knows what will happen though, SEM have been smashed by injuries all season and United have had plenty, so any more injuries there and it'll go some way towards evening the ledger

Although I do think Cotton is the true MVP- in the sense he's more important to Perth than any other player is to their team.

Reply #850204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the German word for schadenfreude?

Reply #850205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney would have to be close to mvp, how many double, doubles, over 20. Gleeson coach of the year. If your guards are Harvey and Cotton in nbl 1st five, and boy I never thought I'd say this, Blanchfield should be the three man ahead of everybody love child Sobey. Blanchfield has been nothing but fantastic at both ends.

Reply #850206 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Without Sobey, Brisbane would be last

Reply #850210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats without cotton will still beat SEM in a three game series.

Reply #850213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They probably wouldn't beat Sydney without Ware but luckily for Perth he played.

Reply #850215 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Although I do think Cotton is the true MVP- in the sense he's more important to Perth than any other player is to their team.

That's a whole can of worms - love seeing Shaq, Kenny, Charles debate it.

What should MVP be?

Most consistent best player on the floor?
Most consistent most talented player?
Most important to their team?
Does team success matter?
Is there a bias towards particular positions?

From a practical standpoint, if you have refs/umps doing their "3-2-1 best on court" each game, you will probably have a mix of those factors naturally represented.

Someone like Cotton you'd say yeah he's an MVP, but is he an MVP this year? Mooney might steal a whole swathe of votes from him. Could cost him.

On the other hand, when you're winning you know he's probably going to feature in most games in the tally.

Reply #850223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My definition is "most valuable to their team's success" with success being a key factor. Guys like Brian Conklin and Rotnei Clarke winning when their team didn't experience success in the seasons they won is laughable.

Reply #850224 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bill Simmons has a really good discussion on this in The Book of Basketball

He lists 4 factors he considers when deciding MVP.

Reply #850225 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Do they play for Boston?"

What's the other 3

Reply #850226 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's called the MVP because BBall started in America, and that's what they call it.
If it had started in Australia, it would be called the "Best & Fairest" (even when won by dirty c_nts.)

It's given to the best player. Period
Notwithstanding that they often get it wrong, and when that happens hoops dickheads proclaim "it's 'Most Valuable' not 'Best", and then proceed to pontificate on their theories as to how it's different and how their favoured player is a deserving winner.

I honestly have not kept up, but I know the system has changed, and I think changed again??

At one point, it did seem to favour great players on crap teams.

Reply #850228 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The peak of which was Brian Wethers winning it while playing for the Hunter Pirates.

Reply #850230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I.... Agree with Dazz. I need to lie down.

Reply #850232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the current MVP method? Still the ref votes? Sobey didn't have a huge amount of competition from teammates, and had a more than decent season other than ladder position.

Reply #850235 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That is why I've got Sobey winning the MVP.

Cotton had a bit of a down year this season anyway numerous games where he shot poorly plus Mooney would be taking more votes from him than in other years.

Reply #850237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs have never voted, have they? I thought it was coaches handing out ten votes, but they changed that a couple of years back.

I believe now a panel of experts selects a top 20 and then the coach, asst coach and captain from each team votes from that top 20 with a 3-2-1 method. You'd be pretty ballsy to say sobey has played better than Cotton across the season.

Reply #850241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Law was the one who had Brisbane firing, Sobey gets enough ball to win three games, yes Brisbane won't finish last but won’t play finals. Surely the mvp should be from a team that plays finals, if you star in a team but don’t win, then you might be better in an individual sport.

Reply #850242 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Cotton out and Cats still winning. Would they be doing the same without Mooney? And I think Cotton is one of the greatest nbl players ever. Mooney on the other hand is just so efficient in everything he does. Has he even had one poor game?

Reply #850245 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What's the current MVP method? Still the ref votes?
It's never been ref votes.

Cotton out and Cats still winning.
They played Adelaide without Humphries or Giddey, and Sydney without Ware.

Reply #850246 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You'd be pretty ballsy to say sobey has played better than Cotton across the season.

Come again?

Cotton: 23.5p, 5.7a, 2.7r, 1.4s, 40.7% FG, 31.9% 3p

Sobey: 21.3p, 4.5a, 4.4r, 1.0s, 45.7% FG, 39.0% 3p

Sobey has clearly been the best player in the league this season what may work against him is the Bullets being a fringe playoff team. But Cotton has shot too poorly this season plus Mooney would've take too many votes off of him.

Reply #850251 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Has he even had one poor game?

He's had a couple but he's been very consistent all season.

Reply #850252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey has clearly been the best player in the league this season

Um. No.

Reply #850253 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think Cotton is MVP this particular season. But if he does win it, it won’t be outrageous.

Reply #850254 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Slightly outrageous. I can't see any possible way he could win it especially now missing the last 4 games of the season.

Reply #850255 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Give it to Mooney.

Reply #850256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney though I would not be unhappy with Cotton. Please not Sobey, he's not that great, he doesn’t help his team win games they should, the close ones when the real mvp stand up.

Reply #850258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does missing 10% of the regular season exclude someone from winning mvp?

Reply #850275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plus Mooney would've take too many votes off of him.

missing the last 4 games of the season.

Are you still unaware of how the vote is awarded?

Reply #850276 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cotton will probably just win MVP despite missing the last few

How many games would he have 5 points (Max votes)? More than anyone else I'd think.

Mooney is a threat

So is Sobey, because he's been so far and away Brisbane's best. He'll get sympathy votes "oh we'd better give someone votes from the losing team"- 2 or 3 votes to Sobey in many of their losses, plus of course a fair few 4s and 5s in wins

Reply #850305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not how the voting works...

Reply #850307 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Above was me.

Reply #850308 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Has anyone told us how it does work?

Is it the coaches vote that someone referenced?

Reply #850310 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's how it has worked- coaches votes from each game

I have vague memory it changed but can't find any reference to it? What's the new system?

Reply #850311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league's panel of experts come up with the list at the end of the season, then coaches (and I think captains) from each team vote on 3-2-1 basis. The first year they changed it, they weren't allowed to vote for players from their own team but not sure if that's the case.

Its no longer done on a game by game basis so "vote stealing" doesn't really come into it any more.

Reply #850312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They played Adelaide without Humphries or Giddey, and Sydney without Ware.

Underrated comment!

Reply #850313 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, it's an end of season vote now. It changed a couple of years ago.

Reply #850314 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Got it- just found a reference online to this too

This new system makes it more likely Cotton wins Imo

Although if they keep winning the last few without him, it might swing the pendulum to Mooney

Reply #850315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt missing four games will make much of a difference. Although if they do win their remaining games, Gleeson should cement his spot as COTY.

Reply #850317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fail to see how a player missing 4? games can win an MVP it can't be that he is that far ahead surely.

Reply #850320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahead of what?

Reply #850321 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I must admit I thought the MVP voting was still the old system of the coaches doing a 3,2,1 vote after each game that gets tallied up at the end of the season.

Reply #850326 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That was never the system either.

Reply #850331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Adelaide were meant to have the most knowledgeable fans!

Even if it was a 3-2-1 system, Cotton and Mooney would get enough 3s and 2s between them to push Sobey out of the race.

Reply #850337 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Previously: at the end of each game, coaches allocate ten votes to players from either team as they see fit (or only to their own team, if nobody tells Matt Neilsen what the rules are), with a maximum of five going to any one player.

Currently: media nominates a number of players, I think 20, at the end of the season (or a week or two earlier, because the awards night is immediately after the last game so the awards need to be decided in advance, so in a normally-scheduled year the votes would have been in before Cotton got hurt), and a coach and captain from each team votes 3-2-1.

Reply #850355 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I thought Adelaide were meant to have the most knowledgeable fans!

Underrated comment.

Reply #850367 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

IMO do it the Brownlow way.

Reply #850368 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sorry, meant coach votes. Confused by Brownlow or whatever it is that uses refs. Didn't know they'd changed it to a panel though. I don't follow the league anywhere near as closely these days (kids, businesses, etc).

Reply #850370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the best method is the Brownlow way, but both coaches give their 3-2-1 after each game to whoever they want. When you allow them to give their ten points without restriction, it leads to players on losing teams winning the award.

I don't think our refs are the best people to judge our awards.

Reply #850374 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

but both coaches give their 3-2-1 after each game to whoever they want. When you allow them to give their ten points without restriction, it leads to players on losing teams winning the award.
How often has that actually happened, though? And how often was it clearly a bad call? No system is perfect, if they screwed it up once or twice in 40 years that's a pretty decent system.

I'm confused by your suggestion that both coaches should be able to give their votes to whoever they want, in order to alleviate the problem of them not having restrictions.

Reply #850375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been screwed up three times in the past decade, four if you count Lisch winning in a season that Cedric Jackson dominated. Ervin, Clarke and Conklin should never have won the awards in the seasons they did.

Reply #850378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 if you count Bogut

Reply #850379 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bogut won under the new system, not the old one.

Which goes to show that maybe the problem isn't the voting system, it's that fans simply don't value players the way other players and coaches do.

Reply #850380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The year Bogut won is when they changed the voting method but I call shenanigans on that year because Cotton finished a somewhat distant third in MVP voting despite Perth, Melbourne and Sydney finishing on the same record, and Gleeson didnt even finishing top three in COTY. I reckon the reps from one club purposely didn't vote for any Perth nominee.

Reply #850381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR, I don't mind the old system, I just think it needed some tidying up.

Reply #850382 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The problem with the old system was that it favoured great players on shit teams. Elbows at the Crocs, and Rotnei at the Hawks being recent examples.

Anybody who can't concede that Cotton is far and away the best player in the league, should seek counseling (or use more hemorrhoid cream.)

This a guy who's played the whole season against 8 coaches who have developed "Stop Cotton" plans, and has still out-performed everyone else.
Who has often spent the first half passing first, and still outscored everyone.

The only thing that counts against him is now missing the last 4 games.

But keep in mind that the current system does not inherently penalise him for that. He can still be given maximum votes.

The fact that commentators claimed Magnay guaranteed Perth the championship, and are now questioning whether they even make the GF, only reinforces the perception of Cotton.

And of course (to whatever extent such a thing exists) he'll get the "sympathy vote."

Reply #850393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The problem with the old system was that it favoured great players on shit teams."

If you look at MVP voting over the lifetime of that voting system, that simply isn't the case.

Reply #850394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well something changed in the past decade because it's gone to some undeserving winners based on their team performance, or the "vote stealing" has robbed some standout players of being rewarded.

Reply #850395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In hindsight maybe, but if you use Clarke as an example, at the time they had a list of basketball journos give their season MVP at the end of the year and it was split across Clarke, Goulding and Ennis. Now some people try to pretend the game-by-game system resulted in Rotnei getting it.

Reply #850396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It did result in Rotnei getting it. The top three predictions were spot on due to the voting system.

If the current system was in play, Ennis would have creamed them both.

Reply #850400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well no he wouldn't, because the unofficial MVP selections done at the end of the season that year were split across Clarke, Goulding and Ennis, with Goulding having the most.

Reply #850410 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Well no he wouldn't, because the unofficial MVP selections done at the end of the season"

ok, so your argument is that the system wasn't biased, precisely because everyone knew it was biased?
do you not see the problem with that argument?

Reply #850495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That isn't the argument. The selections were who they thought was the MVP, NBA style, and they were split across three players because they all had incredible seasons.

Reply #850496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unofficial MVP selections done at the end of the season

Who gave the unofficial selections?

Reply #850504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball media.

Reply #850530 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754