Anonymous
Years ago

Cambage and WNBA coach in weight spat

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/wnba-star-liz-cambage-rages-over-offensive-body-shaming/news-story/b481c68bc4a6c701225b1d3af81cf79b

People say things like this about Jawai all the time. I do not see him crying about it.

Topic #48611 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

She managed to turn a coach upset at the refs into a feminist, racism - victim type thing. Prettt impressive.
Couldn't imagine Shaq, Barkley, Jawai, Jokic type players doing the same thing.
Especially when I'm sure Liz talks a bit of junk herself when she is on the court.

Reply #849600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did she mention race? And when did an NBL coach last suggest Jawai was extremely overweight in a complaint to the refs?

Reply #849601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe she turned herself into a victim just for being the... Um, what's the word... Oh yeah, victim of a pretty ordinary comment. How dare she!

Reply #849602 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

TNT make fat jokes about Barkley all the time

Reply #849603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mentioned race here;

"I will never let a man disrespect me, ever, ever, ever, especially a little white one," Cambage said, adding later, "Don't ever try to disrespect me or another woman in the league."

Reply #849605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"TNT make fat jokes about Barkley all the time"

You mean his mates make those comments?

Reply #849608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think Jawai isn't sensitive to the comments people have made about him over the years then you haven't been paying attention.

Reply #849611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did she mention race? And when did an NBL coach last suggest Jawai was extremely overweight in a complaint to the refs?

Well when she refers to the coach as a "tiny little white man" shes immediately made it about race.

On one hand she's right, her weight shouldn’t be mentioned , but it would be no different really than mentioning her height

But again she’s gained publicity with the “poor me” supporters brigade

What I’d like to know is
A/ why in earth is she trying to talk like she grew up n the ghetto streets of America
B/ what the hell was that thing she had on the side of her head lol

Reply #849622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On one hand she's right, her weight shouldn't be mentione

/thread

Reply #849624 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's always disappointing when people politicise things. If he said she needs to lose some weight, then I would expect he would have said it, based on my experience, to any player. I suspect that coach couldn't care two hoots about her sexuality, sex or race.

Reply #849626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry Froling says hi

Reply #849631 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Cambage admitted at the time she was "unfit" after “sitting on the bench and eating American food”.]

This is offensive to Americans

Cambage needs to miss a game for this and undergo a re-education course on racial sensitivities

Reply #849632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cambage said she had no problem with trash talk between players on the court, but called Miller's comments "protected abuse because we can’t do nothing back. It’s just crazy to me.""

Reply #849633 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Cambage needs to miss a game for this and undergo a re-education course on racial sensitivities]

That happened in 2011- doesn't matter, it's still offensive!

Reply #849635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality point LV. Sounds like you're really across the nuanced issues that get raised here from time to time.

Reply #849636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's always disappointing when people politicise things. If he said she needs to lose some weight, then I would expect he would have said it, based on my experience, to any player"

Firstly, she didn't "politicise" anything but if she did and it makes you uncomfortable that's on you. Secondly he was not suggesting she needed to lose weight based on any sort of professional capacity. He was making a fat joke while he was bitching to the ref. Is that your experience too? You call opposition players fat while coaching?

Reply #849637 | Report this post

Johnno  
Years ago

sad that there's such an uproar over this... calm down

Reply #849640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't she call Dolson fat?

Reply #849642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a Liz fan but his comment was definitely inappropriate. However, as he said, these things can be said in the heat of the game. No one else would've made a big deal out of it though, yet here we are.

Reply #849655 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

So she's responded to a comment about her physical appearance with a comment about someone's physical appearance? The old two wrongs make a right theory? I am surprised it wasn't the classic "I know you are, but what am I!!" comeback.

Is anyone capable of being the better person anymore and making a point without an insult?

Reply #849656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches repeatedly tell coaches that players are heavier than other players...come on ref he is 120kgs that can't be a foul. Never heard a male player cause a stink

Reply #849662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you reckon it's OK to suggest Liz is 140kgs?

Reply #849664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's facetious. It’s not intentionally derogatory like " hey Liz your 300lbs, lose some weight you fat ass!" He is suggesting to the ref that she is a big and that contact is irrelevant. Why do we have to be outraged at everything these days? I wonder what we will be offended by tomorrow?

Reply #849666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When a female who no doubt has had body image issues her entire life gets loudly called out for being 70 pounds than what she is, I'm pretty sure she has a right to show some outrage and respond.

Why are you outraged about her reaction?

Reply #849670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach himself admitted he was wrong and it was unacceptable.

The league has suspended him for his behaviour that they deemed unacceptable.

But hoops keyboard warriors want to throw blame in the opposite direction.

You all look like the same people that blamed Adam Goodes for calling out racist even though he said that she shouldn't be attacked, but rather educated.

Reply #849681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#670 yep

Reply #849683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But hoops keyboard warriors want to throw blame in the opposite direction."

It seems a lot of people here are intimidated by a powerful WOC.

Reply #849688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#670 because the coach is working the ref. It's not a personal attack. Fuck people are offended so badly second hand/hearsay. Shit every referee in the history of the game has the same gripe then from players, coaches and spectators! But hey that’s not a headline grabber

Reply #849698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it's a personal attack. He might not have meant it to be but the words he used to make a point against Liz were personal.

I'm not offended, I just don't have a problem that Liz was.

Reply #849699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can it be hearsay when the coach has admitted and apologised for what he said? Derr....

Reply #849700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because racists will never agree with what they think is wrong.

Even what everyone else around them admits it is.

Reply #849701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reality to the offended left is he is working the ref over the call. He isn't saying directly hey Liz you’re a fat bitch. I hope a referee goes to the media next time they are shamed on any level. How many times do we hear that ref is fat, he/she can’t/couldn’t pass a fitness test, they are a disgrace. People who are offended by this are pathetic. Coaches work refs all the time. Fatterson and Froling are getting their fat shaming tweets against the commentators ready as we speak.

Reply #849712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reality to the offended right is that the coach admitted his behaviour and language was out of line and he accepts it in fact puts women's sport backwards rather than forwards, in a sport and league he coaches in.

And therefore those offended right crybabies cant continue to behave as racists or bigots without being publicly called out and the capitalist market making the necessary corrections where the majority chose to not allow it through economic means.

Reply #849713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he got bitch slapped by a soft establishment. I just enjoyed bleacherreport keeping it real.

Reply #849720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isn't saying directly hey Liz you're a fat bitch

He said it indirectly, which is why he later apologise, and why he was punished by the league.

Reply #849721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#713 but it's ok to call male players fat, overweight etc? Just asking for a friend.

Reply #849722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell your friend that no one in this thread said it was OK to say that about male athletes so your friend just asked a pretty dumb question.

Reply #849723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then where is the outcry for and more importantly FROM the male athletes??? I'll just wait...

Reply #849724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And just for context Lamar Patterson is also a POC. Just so everyone is aware that Liz isn't the only POC on the planet.

Reply #849725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's that got to do with anything? Liz was offended by the comment, and rightly so, so she said something. If a male player was equally offended by a similar comment then I wouldn't tell him to get over it either. Would you?

Why are YOU so offended by Cambage calling the coach out?

Reply #849726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is she rightly offended?

Reply #849727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the coach is working a ref to get the next call! It's not a personal attack on Liz you tone deaf moron.

Reply #849728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't just cherry pick parts of the previous posts to respond to or otherwise you'll never come close to understanding the issue.

Reply #849729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because the coach is working a ref to get the next call! It's not a personal attack on Liz you tone deaf moron"

Holy shit, I can't believe someone just typed that with any sort of sincerity.

Reply #849730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because someone is offended doesn't make them right.

Reply #849731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sorry, it's only an issue for Liz. Never heard any other large player, male, female, white, POC..... let me know what you’re offended by tomorrow so I can giggle at that too

Reply #849732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The round mound of rebound, the bread truck, the wide load from Leeds ... makes this look like kindergarten. Smfh

Reply #849733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz thinks everything is an attack on her.

Reply #849737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Context matters. That remark from the coach clearly wasn't intended to be derogatory - just an attempt to work the refs. Liz has the right to be offended, but that doesn't make the words offensive.

An apology is not necessarily an admission of guilt - more likely an attempt at self-preservation: avoiding being permanently labelled as a fat-shamer and/or sexist in a women's league.

Reply #849740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except he admitted it was wrong (guilt) and expressed that it was wrong because of the effect on the sport.

Reply #849742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got whacked by a socially reactive organisation in a climate where anything that generates clicks is offensive. The ridiculous nature of this outrage is totally what is wrong with the world. But hey...maintain the rage, BRAVO

Reply #849747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the economic reality.

Either get with the program or live in the stone age.

Reply #849749 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, this just seems like a hyperbolic "she has a size advantage" comment, to me. Doesn't seem like it was disparaging at all.

Reply #849750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the coach had said, she's good enough to handle it, there wouldn't be a suspension now would there!

Reply #849752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No leader of a professional team should spew negative comments towards a players appearance, sexuality, or culture to get favor. Leave that to the fans to get on a player. And to somehow think this is okay for a coach in a women's league struggling to get respect and legitimacy is laughable. The point is as a professional he should have said she has a size advantage instead of attaching an exorbitant number to her as to label her obese. We all know he was exaggerating to get a call but it’s the exaggeration that becomes offensive.

Just because you hate Liz doesn’t make what she says wrong. If you say something that hurts someone’s feelings it’s not up to you to decide whether or not they should be offended. She obviously didn’t like it so it was wrong as it was a personal attack. I bet there will be players on his own team that will no longer want to play for him.

Reply #849792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't hate Liz. Her personal preference to always be the victim is annoying

Reply #849796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But she was the victim in this incident...

Reply #849798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is always a victim. I look forward to what offends her next. Should only take about 5 days

Reply #849799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You sound like a bit of a dick.

Reply #849801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The people on here using the "but the coach admited it was wrong and apoligised" or "WNBA fined the coach" to justify Cambage's reaction are the same people who believe everything the PM tells them about how he's the best person for the job, the LNP are the best econimic handlers, and that trans women have no advantage when playing women's sport.

They're naive and treat feelings as the truth. And in the process destorying everything for everyone else.

Reply #849804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#801 you sound like a massive dick

Reply #849806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"who believe everything the PM tells them about how he's the best person for the job, the LNP are the best econimic handlers, and that trans women have no advantage when playing women's sport."

What the actual fuck??

Reply #849808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis made a comment about Jawai's weight in his press conference the other day, but I think Nate will be smart enough to understand he is a very big dude and that's why Lemanis mentioned it.

Reply #849813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did he say?

Reply #849818 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

What a crock of shit.
The coach didn't attack her, or shame her, in fact he wasn't even talking to her.

He was making the point to a ref that in determining the actual impact related to a foul call, due importance should be attached to the relative size of the players.

Yes, he used hyperbole, and he exaggerated, that's part of language. There's nothing to suggest he was trying to be offensive, but I can understand that she might have taken it that way.
taken in context, any sane person would conclude he was referencing her size and strength (issues relevant to a foul call.) Not calling her fat, which would not be relevant. But again I can understand that somebody who was sensitive about that subject could be offended. He apologised, and that should be it.

By contrast, she's the one that has set out to directly attack the coach. Using offensive language, belittling him, and referring to him as a "little white man." How the fuck is that acceptable.

Good news for Cambage is that when she's finished playing, she'll have a long and successful career as a professional whinger and victim.

Reply #849905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think D2.0 is a giant turd who whacks off on public transport.

I wasn't actually addressing him there so it's OK for me to say it.

Reply #849909 | Report this post

Easy As  
Years ago

Let me start by saying that I really really really hate Liz.

Having said that, she has every right to be offended by what the coach said. Just because he didn't say it directly to her, it doesn't lessen the fact that what he said was offensive. Irrespective of the coach not intending to offend, trying to make a point to the officials, there were far more appropriate ways he could have communicated it.

But in usual Liz fashion, she chose the wrong way to raise her concern. The reference to "a little white man" is equally as disparaging as the coaches comment, perhaps more so because she chose to bring race into it.

If you want people to take your point of view seriously, then you can't be offended by a comment and then go straight out and make an offensive comment.....

Reply #849979 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's the classic Liz M.O.
Take a valid complaint and voice it in such a way that you manage to come out of it looking worse even though you totally didn't need to.
It should also be noted for people who don't follow the WNBA that the coach in question is bit of a drama queen himself.

And as usual with Liz, I'm torn about the whole thing. As an instinctive fan of all aussies I'm partly proud of her, partly mega-cringing, but usually loving the general drama that surrounds her and always amused by how triggering it is to so many people in here and on social media.

Reply #849983 | Report this post

Rain man  
Years ago

She's gone way over the top. Seems like a non issue really. If she’s genuinely offended, then take it up with him, if he’s not willing to apologise and look at it from her side, then take it further. She’s the one who’s now taken personal attacks at him, not the other way around. She needs to realise she continues to act in a way that is completely hypocritical. How can you call somebody out for being offensive, when they didn’t make a direct comment at you, while being offensive and directly making statements at them.

Reply #850008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're offended by what she said, but you think what the coach said in the first place is not an issue? I wonder if there is a reason why you judge the two people involved to different standards hmmmm....

Reply #850009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all pathetic PC gone wrong. They (Coach and Liz) are as bad as each other.

Reply #850010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxht4aFtGCo

Reply #850011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She called him out on her own social media account that you don't have to look at.. He did it in her work place on National TV in front of thousands. That adds a bit of sting to it I think.9

Reply #850211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it on tv though? If so surely there would be an audio or video clip of the incident but I haven't seen one. Not saying nothing was said but you can't claim in front of thousands if it didn't happen that way.

Reply #850214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the game was on espnw and fox northeast

Reply #850236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously the game was on tv but were the 300 lb comments televised? I don't think so.

Reply #850280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coaches were not mic'd but referees were. That’s how the league was able up corroborate the complaint. The footage and audio will never see the light of day unless the league allows it.

Reply #850297 | Report this post

You need a higher level of Hoops membership to post in this thread. If you're a longtime, registered member, contact me for an upgrade.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754