Jack Toft
Years ago

Melbourne v Cairns May 31

R20 finishes with top v bottom... but.... Cairns beat SEM and Sydney beat Melbourne during the round, so seemingly anything is up for grabs.
Admittedly it was Cairns last home game so a bit of emotion helped and a double OT game saw the United team needing an extra shot in their latte, which never came.

But Melbourne are back on their home court... in Sydeney..whatever could go wrong?

Should be a no brainer here, so the old Kiss o' Death must go to CG43 and the boys in blue

Topic #48633 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Cairns last home game' that was actually SEM’s. It really has been a crazy season

Reply #850509 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

We're running out of players. King and Jois out for the rest of the season.

Reply #850510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jois has been ruled out as he's part of the Worst Stars program.

Reply #850511 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

I have heard that this is a closed game. If true, why?

Reply #850520 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Monday's scheduled game between the CQUniversity Cairns Taipans and Melbourne United that was to be played at the Cairns Pop-Up Arena will now be played at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney at 7:30pm AEST without fans in attendance. Fans that purchased tickets for tonight's game will be contacted within the next 24hrs to process refunds.

NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said: "Based on current state border controls, moving this game to Sydney offers the best pathway to. complete our regular season schedule, and we thank Melbourne United and the Cairns Taipans for their flexibility and understanding during very trying circumstances.

“The health and safety of our players, coaches, referees, staff and fans remains our number one priority and, as always, our decisions will be guided. by the advice of each State Government and relevant health authorities."

Reply #850521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume because Melbourne are already in Sydney it makes sense to keep them there? This wasn't originally a Cairns home game, was it?

Reply #850522 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's been a crazy season, but hey, at least its a season.

Reply #850523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne might not be allowed into Qld?

Reply #850524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. Melbourne would have to quarantine if they entered QLD

Reply #850533 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

Thanks for the explanation. Understood.

Hope it's still being live streamed.

Reply #850547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy season, yes, but it's been great. One more week, finals, reset for a normal season next hopefully.

Unless massive foul trouble or more injuries cairns should not get close. Cairns though have fought to the end, looking at you Sixers players and have had a go. United should win well, their team is so strong but at times look fragile, no certainty to win competition. United by 22.

Reply #850550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depending on how long this lock goes for, Melbourne might be playing a whole bunch of road games during the finals. Sweet irony!

Reply #850552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL Cup is the only reason why fans from outside Victoria believe MU had a home court advantage that was disproportionate to the rest of the competition. Some facts:
- NBL Cup was in Melbourne due to multiple reasons, none of which were in control of MU
- The NBL Cup was MU's worst period in terms of win-loss
- The clubs do not make the fixture
- Apart from the incredible circumstances that have impacted NZ's season, all other clubs will have had the same amount of home and away games across the regular season, apart from the fact that SEM and MU have most recently had 'home games' relocated interstate, meaning those two clubs will have had LESS home games than other clubs
- We all forgetting that Vic was in lockdown for most of last year? Meaning the impact on the two victorian clubs from all this craziness is much greater than on other interstate clubs
- Both SEM and MU had members of their clubs contract COVID-19

Reply #850553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"all other clubs will have had the same amount of home and away games across the regular season"

Thats plain wrong.

"meaning those two clubs will have had LESS home games than other clubs"

Also wrong

"We all forgetting that Vic was in lockdown for most of last year? Meaning the impact on the two victorian clubs from all this craziness is much greater than on other interstate clubs"

So?

United didn't leave Melbourne for three months. That's unheard of.

Reply #850554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Thats plain wrong."

Wrong.

"Also wrong"

Also wrong.

Reply #850555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not the NBL Cup that is the reason Melbourne got a massive advantage and no cases about that. It's the two month period that followed where they left Melbourne once.

Still, it's all in the past now and it will be all for nothing when they end up finishing second.

Reply #850556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can see how many home and away games have been played by each team on the detailed NBL ladder: https://nbl.com.au/stats/ladder

Reply #850557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And those numbers on the ladder don't take into account the four "away" games Melbourne played at John Cain Arena during the Cup. They were home games that the league decided to call away to pretend they were evening the ledger.

Reply #850558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's not the NBL Cup that is the reason Melbourne got a massive advantage"

Reply #850559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

???

Reply #850561 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's unheard of.

Can we agree as a general proposition that Covid has changed things in a way that's unheard of?

Let’s be real here, the reason Melbourne has so much time in Melbourne was Covid and NBL Cup.

Re Covid that’s just how it pans out. There’s very little respect for the logistical nature of having to be so agile and dealing with borders etc. As Victoria hits issues, it absolutely does not surprise me that Sydney will house the two Vic teams. It makes a lot of sense.

Things could have very well panned out of Vic had issues through the year instead of NSW over chrissy/New Years that the Sydney teams would spend a lot of time at home and have a few extra "home games". And that’s also completely fine; you do what you need to in a Covid world to keep things chugging along in an effective and efficient manner.

NBL Cup may have been an idea to be savvy and innovative, it may have been protection for if Covid spiralled, it may have been an opportunity to get gov money, it may have been all three. I’m perfectly content at all three reasons and to be frank I was happy with NBL trying it. Reality is, it’s designed on a single city hub basis, so that’s Victoria, that’s fine. If it was Sydney that would have been fine to.

As a 36ers fan in no way did I feel screwed by the scenario of playing Melbourne and Phoenix a few extra times in Victoria. NZ took the biggest hit but we didn’t get complaints because it’s understood the realities of Covid. I’m really happy the NBL has been able to play out to the extent it has with limited interference all things considered.

Reply #850562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've already said, it wasn't about the NBL Cup. It's the two months after the Cup where they left Victoria once. Was the rolling schedule the league was producing at the time taking covid into account at the time? I can't recall any other states being in lockdown or closing their borders to Victorians which forced the NBL to give United ten straight home games.

I also liked the NBL Cup and understand the need to adapt to the covid situation. I just pointed out that saying all teams having played the same number of home and away games according to the ladder is simply false.

Reply #850564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA was closed as was QLD post Cup

Reply #850565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA wasn't. Perth played four of their next five games at home straight after the Cup.

Reply #850566 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And those numbers on the ladder don't take into account the four "away" games Melbourne played at John Cain Arena during the Cup.
Or the two away games against the Phoenix that were also in Melbourne, or the away game against New Zealand in Bendigo.

Reply #850567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#566 WA locked down 12.01am April 24 after the Brisbane game. (there was an outcry for ANZAC day). The footy the following day was played without crowds. Brisbane had to fly to Sydney because they couldn't go back to QLD

Reply #850568 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's over a month after the Cup finished.

Reply #850571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA locked down 12.01am April 24 after the Brisbane game

Solid response. I'm not sure if you're worse at maths or English comprehension.

Reply #850572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm just glad the season went ahead, if Melbourne teams got a slight advantage so be it. Between the players taking pay reductions and the nbl working through all the different scenarios it’s been very successful. Let’s just hope it all finishes as is required.

The message to all this is get vaccinated, even if the federal government are saying it’s not a race, it is. Countries with high vaccination rates are going quicker at opening. I feel for nursing home workers who have not been vaccinated and have now started transmitting again through Victoria.

Reply #850573 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I demand Jois play this game and be fouled several times.

Reply #850577 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Look we can bang on about United playing in Victoria most of the season but what gets missed is the extraordinary job LK and the NBL have done to keep this season going despite all the border closures and quarantining.

It's been quite remarkable really to see how nimble and versatile the league has been and I bet a lot of other sports have taken notice too. The players deserve their share of the credit too for taking 50% pay cuts this season as the NBL and the owners knew this stuff would likely have to happen.

Reply #850580 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It has been an absolute success tbh.

Not so much for my team, but the league generally absolutely

Reply #850585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very short on players Cairns, very ugly start, United doing as they please.

Reply #850612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Jois' NBL career is over?

Reply #850613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if Kelly is under contract next year? I know he's had some personnel issues with injuries and players leaving. Seems like a nice enough guy and a decent assistance coach, but it’s pretty obvious he’s not up to being a head coach at NBL level.

Reply #850614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly is an excellent coach, his cattle are poor, if he had a decent team like last season they perform.

I don't know why Cairns brought in Jois, this dp Hunt bloke has shown more in five minutes than all Jois games. Jois is entertaining though, certainly on free throw line.

Reply #850615 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure Mike Kelly still has one more year to go on his contract.

Reply #850616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng just chucked the ball to himself, that's a carry isn’t it.

Reply #850617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Kelly lost the guys. Can clearly see that. Saying it's the cattle when the only difference is DJ Newbill is rich.
Sydney had more injuries than Cairns.
Jamie O’Loughlin should take over next season as head coach.

Reply #850623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly would be great coach at Sixers or Brisbane if Cairns don't want him. I’d say Sydney would also take a look I’d think.

Lost the players, lol, they have been out of finals for ages and still compete, even today with half a squad they competed. You can’t compare them to Sydney, they had Didi, Bruce, Moller, Newley coming off the bench, better than cairns starters.

Reply #850624 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Seems like a nice enough guy and a decent assistance coach, but it's pretty obvious he’s not up to being a head coach at NBL level.
Were you in a coma for all of last season?

Saying it's the cattle when the only difference is DJ Newbill is rich.
Oliver was garbage for most of the season. Noi and Deng have both missed most of the year.

Reply #850625 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Look we can bang on about United playing in Victoria most of the season but what gets missed is the extraordinary job LK and the NBL have done to keep this season going despite all the border closures and quarantining.
I agree. Constant interruptions and they just reschedule and carry on.

Reply #850629 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not only that, but outside of the Breakers situation and the Bendigo deal, these are the first games teams are playing in venues that aren't their usual home.

Reply #850643 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754