Jack Toft
Years ago

Illawarra v Perth May 31

R21 kicks off with the red, black and white team playing the red, black and white team. Oh, Eddie Maguire would be furious, but it's 2 vs 3 and what a game this will be.

The ladder is far from set, and the only thing of which we are sure is the Cairns have missed out, Mike Kelly is looking for a tourniquet, Breakers are looking for two wins to leap frog the hapless Sixers and the Sixers are hoping that United don't go too hard.

Brissy needs 3 solids wins and some solid 30 point wins, Sydney need two wins, SEM need at least one win and Illawarra need to back this one tonight, although it could be a final preview. I think Illawarra will be sharper than a samurai sword tonight and looking to cut the head off the beast.

The Cats need to finish on equal wins to do a Steven Bradbury and steal top spot off the latte sippers. If they win 2/2 (Cats, Adelaide) they are guaranteed top spot, The Cats need this and will not give up. This has to be the MOTR, although there are a couple of others too.

I would love the see the Hawks get up tonight, but I think a Cats win tonight and a Cats win over United in Perth on Friday will set up Cats fans to barrack for Adelaide to beat Melbourne on the Sunday. Just because I love seeing Casts fans barrack for Adelaide, my Kiss of Death goes to the Pussycats tonight

Topic #48638 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

We don't mind barracking for Adelaide. We love and appreciate South Australia.

without you guys we'd have to deal directly with those f****** from Victoria and New South Wales.

Reply #850648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth win tonight and Friday, they will finish on top providing Melbourne don't overtake their points %.

Reply #850654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cannot see Perth getting this, now that's a statement I never thought I’d say, hawks at home with all to play for and a coach that won’t be bamboozled by Gleeson, no Cotton as well. This game should be a cracker and should have a crowd to match, but on cold Tuesday day night in the gong it’ll be 1/4 full though I still think the home court advantage will get hawks home. Let’s hope the main players don’t get into foul trouble and the refs let them play.

Illawarra by 8.

Reply #850661 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This season is turning out to be a cracker

United and Perth still battling for top spot and playing this week

Hawks, Phoenix, Kings and Bullets battling for 3rd and 4th with plenty of matchups there too, eg Phoenix play Bullets twice more, Kings play Hawks.

Reply #850676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just think, Perth are one shocking missed layup from all but having locked up top spot!

Reply #850677 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

IIRC Perth won a title, after coming within one play of being swept in the quarter-final. That's Basketball. :-)

I'd say this game got interesting.
With top spot still up for grabs, both teams have everything to play for. And being without Cotton evens it up.

Naturally I think this will be a low-scoring slog. I think these are the top two defensive teams in the league, and Cotton leaves a big offensive hole.

Reply #850688 | Report this post

Johnno  
Years ago

perf got it

Reply #850697 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

IIRC Perth won a title, after coming within one play of being swept in the quarter-final.
You might be thinking of 1993, where the Giants won game one in Melbourne and had a layup to win game two in Perth but Crawford blocked it to force OT. Perth went to the grand final but didn't win the title.

Reply #850701 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Drewy and the Tigers crushed Perf dreams

Reply #850706 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and we booed them for it.

Reply #850708 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think that block was on a guy called Reese, is it Jason Reese, very good inside player but perfectly timed block.

Reply #850709 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Drewy and the Tigers crushed Perf dreams

How did it feel when Greg Hire and only 2 imports crushed yours in Melbourne?

Reply #850710 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It is likely not in the Perth DNA to drop games intentionally, but here is an interesting scenario.

This is based on Perth would rather face ILL in the SF than a full strength SEM.

Would PER sacrifice this game (and any chance of 1st place) and allow ILL a better chance to stay 3rd place for the SF?

This leaves MEL to play SEM in the other Semis.

If PER win against ILL and that is no guarantee at all, it is possible (even likely given more and more exposure sites / positive cases are reaslied daily) that playing in Melbourne is out of the question so they could play home and neutral ground.

I think PER is likely to beat ILL, but unlikely to beat SEM and even more so against MEL.

Reply #850711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Perth is more interested in getting Magnay integrated for finals than they are in winning the last two games. But they should be able to beat the Hawks easily enough

Reply #850713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do they want to play Illawarra in the semifinals and let them have this game or try and finish top spot?

Way COVID is looking in Victoria finals probably played without fan's?

Reply #850714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth would obviously want to play Hawks over SEM & Hawks would want Perth over United.

Any chance Perth lose this on purpose benefiting both teams?

Reply #850716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth will lose because the hawks will be to good and no Cotton.

Reply #850718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it obvious that Perth would prefer to play Illawarra over SEM?

Reply #850719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Drewy and the Tigers crushed Perf dreams"

Yeah how will we ever get over that loss to a club that doesn't even exist anymore...

Reply #850721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL finals are more likely to be played in Sydney than in Melbourne without fans due to the border restrictions in WA

Reply #850727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL finals are more likely to be played in Sydney than in Melbourne without fans due to the COVID lockdown in Melbourne.

FTFY.

Reply #850729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the time finals come around the Melbourne teams will have been out of Melbourne for the required 14 days. Where they play their home games who knows but they will have crowds

Reply #850735 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Man that Crawford block on Reese and his put-back slam against the Cannons are the two moments I remember the most supporting the Cats as a kid.

Reply #850740 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

What is going on at Illawarra?

Perth were about $2.00 last night now plummeted to $1.68.

Reply #850741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats just do not stop complaining. Every possession something did not go their way according to them. It's an absolute joke.

Reply #850742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good start by both sides. There is no laying down in this game.

Reply #850743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth getting every. single. call.

Reply #850745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Heveron and Hooley are great, homicide is ok with these two. Be nice if homicide got a few names right. Goorj has made deng a reasonable player in such a short time. To many turnovers to Perth. Good game.

Reply #850746 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

This game will be decided by Harvey's performance.

Reply #850751 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LIFT you Wildcats.

Reply #850753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj Looking at Magnay saying no way you are making the boomers squad.

Reply #850754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks got this.

Reply #850755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey back to g league probably.

Reply #850756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mini Goorj having a bitch about his own timekeeper!

Reply #850757 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Solid D by the hawks all night. Perth haven't been able to get anything under the basket. Blanchfeild gone missing again.

Draw up the last play for him...

Reply #850758 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Feels like Hawks still had to play out of their skin to beat a Cotton-less Perth.
If Cotton doesn't come back just give the title to Melb and save everyone the airfares.

Reply #850760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic game, cats even without Cotton are incredibly resilient. Two great coaches going at one another.

Reply #850761 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Great contest. Congrats Hawks.

Reply #850762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome game. Harvey is amazing. Isaac White is going to have a long career too.

Reply #850763 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It took two hours for this to go from a round where a lot was on the line to a round where nothing is on the line.

Reply #850764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calling it now, Melbourne will sign Harvey next season lol

Reply #850765 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Well done hawks!

Reply #850766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be disappointed with thag loss. Hawks played a fantastic game.

Reply #850767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will need to pay him a lot more to keep him here.

Reply #850768 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind if the ladder stays the way it is.

Reply #850770 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Great game, well done Harvey's...I mean Hawks. Thought the Cats a decent run with the refs but Hawks D was superb.
Hopefully this is the semi matchup

Reply #850773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A look at the stats uncovered something unusual for a winning team. All of the Hawks starters plus/minus was negative (except Ogilvy who was +10). Their bench on the other hand were mostly positive. Great win under pressure by the Hawks

Reply #850778 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The one game I want Perth to win, and they lose

Reply #850782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seemed out of whack tonight, hawks made play's but my take is probably trying to play hawks in the semifinals and both Melbourne teams play in the other.

Reply #850783 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah, fair chance Perth dropped this game on purpose

Finishing 2nd no biggie if they'll likely play a Melbourne team meaning neutral/ home/n/h/n

And losing tonight gave them a better chance of getting there.

No question Perth will be perfectly happy avoiding SEM and wouldn't mind playing Illawarra.

Reply #850784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And yeah, fair chance Perth dropped this game on purpose"

Fuck off idiot.

Reply #850792 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Fair chance LV is talking absolute bollocks yet again

Reply #850793 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So many conspiracy theorists on here.

Reply #850794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one can answer why Perth are meant to be scared of SEM, a slightly above average team.

Reply #850795 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Goorj such a bad coach

Reply #850810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it would be obvious after all these years that LV like some others should just be ignored

Reply #850812 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[No one can answer why Perth are meant to be scared of SEM, a slightly above average team.]

Because they're 18-15 despite having been smashed by injuries this season, and now are finally healthy

They've done alright against Perth this season, unlike Hawks who Perth have absolutely dominated

What more reasons do you need?

Reply #850813 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

18-15 and a healthy percentage too

Reply #850814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're essentially 1-3 against Perth and I'm pretty sure they were full strength for those games.

Reply #850820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are 25-10 and have a supposedly inferior roster. They are not scared of SEM because they are simply a better team.

Reply #850821 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Not scare of SEM, but SEM are definitely a better chance at beating United than Hawks.

Reply #850822 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Good result for Perth though, they can beat Hawks but would struggle v SEM without Cotton.

Reply #850827 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

SEM beat Perth quite convincingly a couple of times this season before Broekhoff was on their roster and the cats had a healthy cotton.

The cats wouldn't be scared either way but i'd much rather them be facing the hawks in a semi final series.

Reply #850842 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Whilst it would certainly be conceivable that a scenario exists in which Perth were happy to drop the game, evidence suggests otherwise.

Wani and Tommy got no minutes during the game.
Perth finished with their strongest rotation on the floor, even after Norto fouled out.

Game could have gone either way. Hawks just better on the night.

First place was still up for grabs, and Perth would have backed themselves at home against MU, even sans Cotton.
Even if the lockdown is still in effect come GF time, Perth won't be keen on upto 3 games at a "neutral" venue. If MU make the GF, but can't play at home, the league will rightly do whatever they can to accommodate them elsewhere. Whether that's a hub, bubble, Bendigo, Tasmania, all potentially meaning more travel for Perth.

Perth would be happy to play SEM in the SF, because it's more likely the lockdown would still be in place, and since Perth finished higher, they could make a good case to play all games in Perth, or at the very least not be inconvenienced by the game at a neutral venue. Plus Mitchell has sod all finals experience, as opposed to Goorjian.

Reply #850853 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Imagine the uproar if Cats and United get through and all 5 games are played in Perth. :P

Reply #850867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha funny except no Perth would take United to 5 games

Reply #850869 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think the rest of the league is as selfish as Perth or Sydney fans.

WA border governance means we won’t see that in all likelihood but if we did see games where Perth played "away" in Perth for some games especially regular season games, that would be been great for the league because it would have delivered crowd and much needed revenue and great atmosphere.

I think the selfish reactions on here pretty much show the disconnect from reality people have in understanding the disruption Covid causes and the fragility of the NBL financially. I care more about simply having a league surviving than having one struggle and suffer because I want to see my teams with their exact allocation.

Reply #850870 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

WA border governance means we won't see that in all likelihood
Why? They're letting Melbourne in to play on Friday, and if the outbreak is still ongoing come grand final time they won't have been back to Melbourne between now and then. The government is more likely to let Melbourne come hang out in Perth for a month than allow a home-and-away series.

I think the selfish reactions on here pretty much show the disconnect from reality people have in understanding the disruption Covid causes and the fragility of the NBL financially.
Notice that nobody is complaining about Cairns or Adelaide getting extra home games.

The NBL Cup was entirely unnecessary, and gave United a whole month of home games that weren't required due to lockdowns. Melbourne already gets a whole host of advantages even in a normal season, as well as Victoria always getting the Boomers qualifiers, etc. There's obviously still the perception that United is LK's team.

Context is important.

Reply #850873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, why do you continually make the same strawman argument about the complaints of certain scheduling irregularities?

Reply #850874 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Didn't WA just close the border to NSW?
Aren’t Melbourne playing in Sydney?

The point is, WAs approach could very easily make things quite tough depending on the scenario, like Utd playing in Sydney. Whilst NSW makes it very easy as they’re generally the most open borders. I’m not here to predict a scenario because covid does covid things.

And re the NBL Cup, SEM needs to be mentioned alongside Melbourne.

I think the NBL Cup was a good idea, and it may have been done as a business savvy idea, it may have been done as a covid related plan, it may have been done to get revenue from the Vic gov. It’s tough to criticise the latter two factors with the benefit of hindsight of how things pan out.

I want to see the NBL be innovative and savvy. I liked the idea

Reply #850878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't WA just close the border to NSW?

No.

Reply #850880 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah that was news to me as well. It feels like WA hasn't been any tougher than most other states in recent times re. border restrictions.
They're letting Richmond & Essendon shift the "Dreamtime" AFL match from the MCG to Optus Stadium for this weekend.

Reply #850881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pretty clear that Perth and their fans are living rent free inside KET's head. The only reason this "United advantage" conversation came up again is because someone tried to claim they had been the most DISADVANTAGED club this season. Pointing out how wrong that is was evidently too much for KET so he's now inventing scenarios where Perth fans would rather destroy the league and that our Premier is closing borders for no reason at all. Completely irrational.

Reply #850884 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Victoria always getting the Boomers qualifiers"

What's wrong with that KR?

Seems logical to have the big cities host the qualifiers.

Reply #850886 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, big cities like Bendigo, which has hosted more Boomers qualifiers than Perth and Sydney combined.

Reply #850894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought you were talking Aus v NZ or Aus v Canada or Aus v USA or something of significance.

Not some crappy basketball nation like Kazakhstan or Qatar.

Why bother bringing that to big stadia?

Reply #850896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good thing KET is here to offer state-based critiscm of handling Covid. McGowan might be quick to close the borders so he obviously doesn't have the fantastic scientific insight of the SA Health Minister who told fans in the stands to avoid touching the ball if it is kicked there. Good job SA!

Reply #850930 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Good thing KET is here to offer state-based critiscm of handling Covid

Absolutely zero criticism or commentary on state handling of borders. Not even a hint of it.

Clear as day you're a troll and decided to chuck up a complete wank of a post.

Reply #850935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pot, meet kettle.

Reply #850939 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ok

Reply #850940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well you have been attempting to troll Perth fans in the last couple of weeks, stepping it up in the last couple of days with outlandish comments.

Unless you actually believe what you've been saying, in which case... Wow!

Reply #850941 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754