Anonymous
Years ago

Ousmane Dieng signs with Breakers as Next Star

Ousmane Dieng, first european to commit to the next star program and will join Breakers as reported by Woj. Dieng is one of the top players in 2022 draft.

Huge for the nbl!

Topic #48645 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers, dam thought he was going to kings.
Gapare should be at breakers, he's making a mistake going to college

Reply #850804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

21/22 I reckon

New Zealand Breakers - Shamir

Webster/Leafa
Randolph(i)/Webster/Bach
Abercrombie/Dieng(ns)
Delany/Fotu/Galloway
Iverson(i)/Loe

Reply #850805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fotu isn't coming off the bench, unless it's Dan Fotu!

Reply #850806 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

Big signing. And keeps the NextStars programme going. But can he contribute at this level? Is he better than Giddey?

Reply #850807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 3rd best rated international.

Reply #850808 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is fantastic

Reply #850809 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

If the breakers are smart they'll prioritise White over Tai.

Reply #850816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, no.

Reply #850817 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Can't go left. Can’t shoot free throws. Loose carry when he does go right. Can’t change his speed when he drives (right) which leads to at least one charge every game.

Added to that, he’s a ball stopper which is an absolute killer for a PG with the shooters they have. There’s a good reason Delaney took so long to get going this season. Tai might have super talent but unless he harnesses and utilises it effectively they’re better off going with White who can do everything at an NBL level.

Reply #850829 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wojbomb better title imo

Reply #850832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was expecting...

Dieng - Sydney backup sf
Gapare - nz backup sf
Daniels - Melbourne backup cg
King - cairns backup sg
Johnson - adelaide backup pg
Hardy - Illawara backup sg
Foster - Tasmania backup pf
Ojianwuna - brisbane backup pf
Perth ? -
Sem ? -

Reply #850833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 ended up on ignite ^

Reply #850834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Breakers aren't expecting to make the playoffs next season either.

Reply #850835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woj writes:

"Dieng was heavily recruited to play major college basketball and join the NBA's G League Ignite program ahead of his entry into the 2022 NBA draft."

good endorsement of the nbl

Reply #850838 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So Breakers aren't expecting to make the playoffs next season either.

I would really like for United to get a Next Star and start him at PG.

Reply #850840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are likely getting Daniels.

Reply #850841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ns u19 is going to start that is high on draft boards.
Giddey was put in that position only because Sloan was ousted.

Reply #850844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Giddey was good enough to send Sloan packing.

Reply #850851 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't buy that criticism at all. Judge the player on what they are and what they deliver.

Giddey is proof of what an NS can deliver in this league, Adelaides problems weren’t Giddey and they didn’t have a hole at PG.

Looking at the talent of Ball and Giddey - they didn’t play like they lacked experience and they didn’t produce a talent hole in the starting PG spot. They could have been great in good teams.

Reality is the Hawks overall team were rather talentless last year which wasn’t assisted by injuries including Aaron Brooks. NBA is easier for Ball on the sheer basis that he has guys that can sink the damn shot when he gets them the ball.

Adelaide doesn’t have the greatest talent either, but to the extent they did, the amount of injury time to IH really put Adelaide in a spiral. What Giddey and IH did achieve together when they weren’t injured was elite.

So it seems arbitrary to declare a team having an NS not interested in finals when the issues weren’t the NS, they didn’t produce a hole in the spot and they didn’t display a lack of experience which was the expected trade off and what made it so surprising that they achieved the level they did.

Reply #850868 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Ball and Giddey are giving the NBL a spotlight in terms of the development of playmaking and off-ball skills. Dieng seems to be another in that mould.

I believe that Dieng will play the backup 1/2, allowing the Breakers to find an import 1 and start Corey at the 2. Assuming the league returns to 3 imports/11 players+NS, I'm expecting something like this:

Import* / Loe
Delany / TBD (Freeman?)
Import* (Hopson?) / Abercrombie / Galloway
C.Webster / Bach / Dieng (NS)
Import* / TBD (Le'afa won't get enough gametime... Kenny? Britt?)

With Dontae Nance as the remaining DP (whatever happened to Terry Li?)

Reply #850898 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you could swap Giddey in to finals-bound NBL teams (besides Perth) for one of their imports and I don't know that you'd be worse off. And certainly replacing a non-import rotation player or starter.

Giddey averaged 11/8/7. Hawks' Simon more of a glue guy. Jessup hot and cold. Hopson 12/3/4. Sykes 14/5/3. You would've taken Giddey over Deng Adel. With hindsight, Broekhoff. Obviously not all about stats and completely subjective, but I don't think they carried him at all. He absolutely showed up Sloan who people expected good things from.

If you brought in an overly-green prospect with the promise of minutes, you'd potentially compromise a team, but this was a well-regarded player and giving him 20 minutes behind what was expected to be a useful import is fine IMO. Lots of weaker players getting 20 mpg in the league.

Reply #850912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

898 you are so far off

Reply #850961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if the NBA execs actually believe playing for the ignite team actually develops a player as well as college or NBL. It's a team full of guys who ALL want good stats. I guess in a few years we will find out generally what the best breeding ground is for great NBA players.

Reply #851047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why was the title of my thread changed?

Reply #851139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who ff is advising Gapare? To even think about going to college when the team has just been overhauled.

Reply #851141 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754