koberulz
Years ago

Cotton Out for the Season, Narrowly Avoided Permanent Damage

Perth Wildcats star Bryce Cotton rules self out of 2021 season but prevents career altering injury

Perth Wildcats star Bryce Cotton has revealed he was just one day away from suffering permanent damage to his left leg after requiring emergency surgery last month, and declared he is no chance of playing again this season.

Topic #48651 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I doubt other teams are going to take his word for it, it's in the Wildcats best interest to get other teams to drop their guard in the playoffs and then bang he checks in.

They're trying to get the first three-peat in their club's history they'll try every trick in the book it's pretty much a once in a lifetime opportunity especially if Gleeson is leaving.

Reply #851050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article behind a paywall.

I couldn't see any reason for them to lie, Cotton is one tough rooster and great player, it’s a shame he’s not available, in saying that if he was hurt in the first part season Perth would be probably battling to stay in finals race instead of being securely in. The finals series should still be great but missing this super star is a loss.

Reply #851053 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"They were fearful my muscle could have just died. It was under so much pressure so it needed immediate relief. When I came out of the surgery, the doc said it was good we didn't wait an extra day because time was really of the essence. He just said it would have been permanent damage."

Cotton will remain on heavy lifestyle restrictions for another two weeks before starting his rehab. He revealed the surgical wound covered half of his though and remains stitched and swollen.

He won’t be able to fly with the team to view away matches throughout the play-offs but can attend home games.

Cotton released a social media post after the surgery paying tribute to his brother following his death in America.

He's not coming back.

Reply #851054 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I know that all Perth fans would like to hope its some kind of trick, but what would be the point???

I just really hope that he has avoided any significant permanent damage, and and can get on the mend soon. Hopefully be fit for the pre-season and we ready to go for next season, which won't be that far away.

It's just one of those freak injuries.

Considering where we were at the start of season, I'm just stoked that we extended the streak. Anything more was a bonus.

Cats have never done a 3-peat, but oh well. Can't really complain.

Let's just hope he's fully fit and naturalised for next season.

Reply #851055 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Bummed for Cotton, good thing they got to it in time. Time for the rest of the team to step up big time and Mooney to show he can be that leader.

Reply #851059 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Considering where we were at the start of season, I'm just stoked that we extended the streak. Anything more was a bonus.

Agreed.
Has already been a season to be very proud of as a Cats fan.

All the best to Bryce for his recovery.

Reply #851060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I was in the same boat as others thinking there was some mind games going on but not after reading his comments today. Very sad to read about his brother too. He's a tough player but he's has to put up with a lot of terrible things in the past 12 months.

Reply #851061 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This sucks - good luck to Cotton, hope to see him fully recovered for next season

Player protection first is how all classy organisations operate even if it makes a big dent in championship pursuit.

Reply #851066 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

I know we have to expect teams to go hard, and no one would have wanted this to occur to Cotton, but is it hard not to feel a little bit of rancour at Brisbane for the tactics they used against him?

Lots of knees wide out on screens with obvious intent to bang Cotton up a bit - you could visibly see intent through the game to physically interact with him - could have cost him his career.

Reply #851068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't hold any grudges against Brisbane. They played him physically which is fine, and having a gangly Hodgson and an unathletic Froling was probably more of the cause of the incidental injury.

I'd actually been more concerned about Cotton getting injured when teams roughed him up with follow-through after fouls were called. Sydney did that in last year's GF to the point he complained to the refs about it, something he rarely does.

Reply #851076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It won't be one game that caused this injury. It will be years of punishment on the court. Ask Redhage how bad his back was.

Reply #851079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Glad he caught it in time. Tough break for the Wildcats though and harsh for their fans.

Reply #851081 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Sucks but I don't hold anything against Brisbane (or any other teams), every team hits the guard on the screen. Sometimes it's called a foul, sometimes it's not, doesn't eliminate the contact though. It's part of the game.

Reply #851085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It won't be one game that caused this injury.

Except it was. There were two screens in the Brisbane game with extended knees that copped him in the thigh.

Reply #851087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#087 that may have been the last game he played but it occurred multiple times during the season

Reply #851089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played two nights later back at home.

Reply #851091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He played two nights later back at home." Yes poor injury management will cause that.

Reply #851098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you manage injury that doesn't exist at the time?

Reply #851100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he wasn't managing a corky from the Brisbane game as you claim that has ended his season it’s the weirdest injury ever. And above I said may have been his last as I didn’t have time to check the schedule so thanks for the clarity.

Reply #851102 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He was injured during the Brisbane game.

Reply #851103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given Perth are not known as the Eagles and play in Yellow and Blue I'm somewhat inclined to take this at face value

Reply #851105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton removing himself from play is the best thing that he could do. Clearly the medical staff were not understanding his issue. Lucky he did.

Reply #851130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? The injury flared up out of nowhere last Saturday. It's a blood clot. It's not like the medical staff gave him the all clear to play while pressuring him to fly to Adelaide. Idiot.

Reply #851131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is cotton aussie yet

Reply #851132 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I didn't even know about him losing his brother. So sad

Was looking forward to an epic finals series against MU. Would have been awesome for both teams to be at full strength.

Reply #851133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton's press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_LVmZBaZb8

Reply #851135 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

This is a specific injury that occurred during the Brisbane game.

They did not believe it was that serious, which is why he played (in some pain) against Cairns. I think it's a fair assumption to make, that playing probably made it worse.

The pain was not abating, which is why he was sent for scans.

What was at one point thought to require a simple draining of the haematoma, instead required more intensive surgery.

As was mentioned, the surgical incision has very large, and his thigh remains swollen and painful.

I'm sure we can imagine that even walking on that without pain is going to take weeks. Being able to train, you'd have to think would be months off, and presumably its going to take intensive therapy and rehab.

Reply #851137 | Report this post

Chillbaby  
Years ago

Get well soon, Bryce. Sad way to end season - probably my favourite player to watch - relentless with little negative emotion on the court. One of the greats - hopefully back next season better than ever. Old enough not to have heroes but admire the way he plays - so much skill and determination

Reply #851147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754