Jack Toft
Years ago

MEL v ADL Jun 6

What an exciting final round, but this game is a dead rubber, and also Teysie's last game. (as possibly a few others...)

Melbourne secured top spot with a strong, determined performance against the Pink Pussycats on Friday night and now they have a danger game. Do they go hard and risk an injury? or do they have a bit of a training run and clear the bench?

Adelaide have promised so much this season and when they were good, they were good, but injuries have been their downfall and haven't had a win since Adam was playing forward for the Eden Appleseaders. I'm not expecting a slow dogged defensive game tonight. Lot's of party tricks and three point shots on offer. Both teams should be able to crack the tonne, so lots of action for the fans. Melbourne won't be running new plays or anything like that and Adelaide have nothing to lose by spreading the minutes.

The winner doesn't really matter today, ladder positions won't change. The Latte Boys might just hold the Sixers to 13 Lucky wins

Topic #48662 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne could rest there starters, that should make it closer, Melbourne would still win but maybe by only 20. ::))) top four is decided let's move on.

Reply #851476 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tbh for me the biggest gripe and failure of the 36ers this year is that they've provided minimal reason to be optimistic or hopeful for next year, particularly once they couldn’t make the top 4.

Effort hasn’t been there.

Even start to look at DJ and say sure you’re good on offence and consistent but are you a winner? Do you score when it’s needed, do you not go missing for extended periods, do you make effort defensive plays when it counts?

BPaul - are you a player that could go far next year or have you maxed out where you are now? Do you care enough?

I didn’t have Adelaide competing for the 4 this year, and they stuffed up the import stuff at the start which wrote them off a bit.

Optimism through Humphries/Giddey was tarnished a bit by injury and at least one of them not returning next year. Hopefully they do have IH return next year.

This is the last game for the players to show something to say we are on a good track for next year. Who’s going to show it?

Reply #851520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitley Teys last game and interesting scenario with Hulland and Mudronja both playing NBL1 last night for South before today's game......?

Reply #851531 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to this for 2 reasons

Adelaide has a few weapons, DJ can light it up as could Paul. They'll be playing with relatively few inhibitions

Secondly United might spread the minutes even more so than usual, so we'll see everybody getting a good run

Reply #851536 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

LK will deliver a win for Melbourne no doubt

Reply #851537 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Melbourne starting their bench, shouldn't make much difference their bench is better than some starting lineups.

United by 9

Reply #851561 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Looks bizarre seeing this colour scheme in Adelaide.

Reply #851563 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Tony Crocker Show!

Reply #851570 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Let's leave the white jersey requirement with the 20/21 season.

It’s crap.

Reply #851572 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not normally a fan of white jerseys but I think ours look pretty classy tbh.

Reply #851573 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So disorienting

Reply #851574 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They did the same thing in Sydney they had United's home court set up too.

Reply #851575 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

As white jerseys go Adelaides is certainly a better one.

I long for the yellow/gold days (not banana yellow like they produced this year)

Reply #851576 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I prefer this white one with the faint blue pin stripes and gold trim looks good.

Reply #851580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kind of sums up Adelaides year when people are on Hoops talking about the jerseys instead of the team!

Reply #851583 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yep, lol.

Reply #851585 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Talk about the team = be disappointed and aggravated

Reply #851586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon Gaze will ever stop talking about Josh Giddey?

Reply #851587 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No

Reply #851588 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Reckon Gaze will ever stop talking about Josh Giddey?

Thank your lucky stars it's not a Bullets otherwise he would be banging on about Jason Cadee all game, at least Giddey's a good player.

Reply #851591 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

*game

Reply #851592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is fantastic, compared to some of the others.

Reply #851593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Melb/SEM expected to play their semi final home games?

Reply #851595 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's the best we've got and I love listening him but he is incredibly biased towards his friends kids and anything Melbourne related really.

I'm not having a go at him I love him but the Cadee carry on gets quite sickening.

Reply #851596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is worse on the Cadee love.

Pinder, there is something there, just need to find it. Lol.

Reply #851598 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Are these refs insane?

Reply #851599 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Being a United home game I suppose they had to give them some good home cooking.

Reply #851600 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not a great finish to season. Perfect set up to get an upset win. Taking down top team - an away game with everything in our favour. Come on Sixers. Big biggly biggest finish. Do f o r pride.... build four next season with optimism... do something....

Reply #851602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul is a woeful defender. Adelaide Achilles Heal is not enough quality defenders, starting with the captain.

Reply #851607 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hopefully we start bringing DJ off the bench next season all our defensive issues and heartless efforts start with him. Won't happen though.

Reply #851610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Melb/SEM expected to play their semi final home games?

Somewhere warm

Reply #851611 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Head it to Perth.

Reply #851613 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hopson described United as road warriors.

Not a lot of self awareness there.

Reply #851614 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Crowd: 1,817

They really should've let members in for free or something.

Reply #851623 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hope the highlights aren't indicative of the 36ers' effort in that game. Pretty embarrassing at times.

I used to think you could balance DJ with a defensive frontcourt partner but not sure that's enough any longer. No idea what his contract situation is like, but I wouldn't be over-offering from here on.

I wouldn't bring back Paul.

In a completely meaningless game, why wouldn't you put 10+ minutes into your prospects? Mudronja and Hulland each got a couple of minutes and that was it.

Reply #851641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They really should've let members in for free or something." So let the members in who have already paid for their tickets in for free. Huh?

Reply #851643 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No idea what his contract situation is like, but I wouldn't be over-offering from here on.

DJ's got 2 years left on his contract.

I wouldn't bring back Paul.

He's been playing 'bruise-free' basketball ever since he got here ala Darington Hobson at the Hawks last season. Just trying to stay injury free for his next contract.

In a completely meaningless game, why wouldn't you put 10+ minutes into your prospects? Mudronja and Hulland each got a couple of minutes and that was it.

I agree but we probably would've lost by 40 instead. For a new coach in his first year might've left a bitter taste in the mouths of management over the offseason.

Reply #851644 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So let the members in who have already paid for their tickets in for free. Huh?

What? It was a United home game hence why members weren't in attendance.

Reply #851645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what members were going to be let in? I had forgotten it wasn't played at home Apologies. I am clearly confused. Oh it might bee the Beer goggles I am wearing ;)

Reply #851647 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I used to think you could balance DJ with a defensive frontcourt partner but not sure that's enough any longer. No idea what his contract situation is like, but I wouldn't be over-offering from here on.

I believe he has one year left from memory.

The galling thing today was I had the commentary on for once due to no Heal and Homicide being present yet Gaze claimed DJ is "under appreciated". What in the actual fuck? Even the better commentators are just trotting out the company line now, NBL TV production really blows as there is no impartiality.

Post game John Casey interviews DJ and asks if he is looking for another off-season stint and he replies no because that it's been so hard with training going on longer than it usually does due to COVID. Awww, what a victim. Considering he plays bruise-free basketball that is really rich.

He's been in the 36ers bubble for way too long and will only get worse.

Reply #851663 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I believe he has one year left from memory.

2 years left.

The Adelaide 36ers have extended five-time club MVP Daniel Johnson a new three-year deal, which will see the star centre remain in Adelaide until the end of the 2022-23 season.

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/daniel-johnson-signs-contract-extension

Reply #851665 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ok.

Reply #851666 | Report this post

Looking forward  
Years ago

How long would DJ last in a program run by Goorjian?

So who do you keep for next season?

DJ on contract.
Humphries showing some class, if not durability.
McVeigh significantly improved.
Who else?

Reply #851667 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The commentary team did a great job of muddying the waters around Humphries contract status! Is it a team option or a player option next season?

Reply #851668 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

How long would DJ last in a program run by Goorjian?

Five minutes.

Reply #851669 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It would be interesting to see DJ under a Goorjian or Gleeson.

One of the higher levels he's played at was in Poland for a EuroLeague club and he got benched rapidly and ultimately released.

Reply #851671 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The commentary team did a great job of muddying the waters around Humphries contract status! Is it a team option or a player option next season?

Mutual option, sufficiently muddy ;)

I've never heard what a 'mutual option' is meant to be exactly and Homicide asked Liam in a game last week what it is and Liam laughed and said "lets not get into that now".

My thinking is it's probably a team option with some financial penalty. A regular team option holds no financial penalty for the team if they choose not to exercise it, a player option is a player option so I suspect a mutual option probably means the club has to pay the player a little going away money if they elect not to bring said player back.

Reply #851672 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I should add when Adam Doyle signed his last contract with the 36ers it was a 3 year deal, the final year being a 'mutual option'. He was released 2 years into that deal and never played in the NBL again.

That suggests a mutual option is more a team option than a player option as I highly doubt Doyle chose to end his NBL career a year early.

Reply #851673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad effort from Adelaide. They were always a tough team over the years but this year has been woeful.

Compare less talented Illawara with better coach.

Reply #851674 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I should add when Adam Doyle signed his last contract with the 36ers it was a 3 year deal, the final year being a 'mutual option'. He was released 2 years into that deal and never played in the NBL again.

That suggests a mutual option is more a team option than a player option as I highly doubt Doyle chose to end his NBL career a year early.
It means they both have to agree to opt in. If one wants to opt out, that's it, the contract is over.

As has been pointed out repeatedly, it's exactly the same as not having an option at all, and is a complete waste of everybody's time.

Reply #851675 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Clear as mud! Thanks Zodiac!

I hope Isaac is keen to stay in Adelaide, as there is very little else to get excited about!

Reply #851676 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Enjoyed watching this game.

Playoffs ahead but there's not too many games left. Next years United team likely very different

Landale probably in Europe.

McCarron and JLA great seasons and will have plenty of offers.

Barlow turning 38, would be welcome again but may hang em up.

Hopson who knows.

If they stay healthy, feeling confident.

Biggest threat would be a semi final series vs SEM, where it's feasible the Phoenix could shoot the lights out 2 times in 3 games.

Not worried about Hawks or Perth without Cotton. The 2 best coaches in NBL history perhaps, but United has owned both teams.

I think we've won 5 of the past 6 vs Perth including the last 3 in Perth, and the only loss was when missing CG43 and Ili from memory. Magnay hasn't been what they hoped, plus Mooney seems to be struggling to have the same impact with a slightly different role.

A healthy United will sweep Perth.

But a series vs SEM could get interesting

Reply #851677 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sorry correction- 5 of last 7 vs Perth including last 3 in Perth

The other loss was in Melbourne with a full strength team (sans Jack White) where Perth made United look really dysfunctional, and United coughed it up 18 times

Guess Perth is elite defensively even without Cotton.

But I doubt United could play that badly more than once in a best of 5

Reply #851678 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I used to think you could balance DJ with a defensive frontcourt partner but not sure that's enough any longer."

Yeah I agree.

We want Humphries back, and Pinder if he plays smart in a confined backup role is as good as any really. They have Sotto, so that would put Adelaide in a sort of crappy position when it comes to defending the paint.

Adelaide could keep Paul and McVeigh with Dech and back their length to disrupt passing into the bigs and double team low.

I don't think continuity is necessarily a bad thing for this squad. If you have an import replace Giddey, have Crocker coming off the bench as a shooter and add either Rigoni or Isaac White as another shooter, they might have have a decent combination of shooting, defensive length and quality bigs. If IH stays at Adelaide and stays healthy.

It’s not an overhaul and a lot of reliance on IH and Giddeys replacement but I don’t think it would necessarily work out as badly as this year did.

Reply #851710 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

My understanding of "mutual options" would be that either side could terminate the contract WITHOUT ANY FINANCIAL penalties (buy-outs, etc) required. Think of Mitch Creek and Corey Webster situations. And even the Magnay saga.

If a player breaks a contract someone has to compensate the club. If the club breaks the contract, they have to compensate the player.

In a mutual option, I believe that either can not-take-up-the-option with no penalties.

Reply #851711 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

For lack of any "continued contract" benefits, sounds rather useless!

Reply #851712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#677 this is just delusional

Reply #851722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754