Isaac
Years ago

East SF series: 76ers vs Hawks

Series gets underway soon enough. Hawks handled the Knicks but might be up against it facing Philadelphia.

Embiid is day-to day, potentially removing the 76ers MVP-level option from the equation. Simmons averaged 17/10/9 in the Washington series, but was poor from the stripe and hack-a-Ben could be an issue. Young is a key for Atlanta - if Embiid sits more games, the 76ers could start Thybulle with full defensive focus on Trae. All this is stating the obvious!

76ers are paying 1.58 for the win. Bookies seem to think the series will go 6-7 games, with 76ers 4-3 being the shortest odds at 4.33. Wonder how much that is factoring in Embiid? If both teams were full strength, would it go to six games?

Topic #48668 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Simmons 7/7 FG but 3/10 FT - everyone's understandably looking at the second fraction! 76ers bench unit looks to be where the damage was done. Embiid 39 points but wouldn't be thrilled to have played through injury to a loss.

Trae Young averaging 30 and 10 for the post-season.

Reply #851709 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Couldn't sleep, listened to the game.

I am a one-eyed Hawks fan but I'm trying to keep a lid on things however the Hawks owned the 76ers for all but the last 5-6 minutes when the officials let the 76ers play with more physicality. Hawks turned the ball over and made some poor decisions which Philly capitalised upon.

Both Simmons and Thybulle struggled to contain Young and Bogdanovic in the first half (after Rivers persisted with Danny Green on Young for too long).

Hawks defense was also excellent for 3 quarters and they were without augably their 3 best defenders (Hunter, Dunn and Reddish).

The Hawks might yet progress to the conference finals if they can keep this level of play up and Embiid struggles to suitably recover in time for game 2. He was huge for the 76ers

Reply #851773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

76ers started well before the Hawks clawed it back. Took Shake Milton's shooting to perhaps bail out Philly. Not sure Atlanta would be feeling too bad going home at 1-1?

Reply #852195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Simmons doesn't have to make a free throw to win us a gold medal.::)))

Reply #852205 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Hawks need to knock out Philadelphia for the Boomers to have any hope of BS playing in Tokyo

..fmmmc, Simmons playing in Tokyo...ha ha, I'm deluded.

Reply #852235 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

2-2. Embiid struggled in the second half and Atlanta reeled them in and took control. Simmons close to a triple double, but 1/5 FT didn't help the result. Not sure the 76ers would be excited about adding an extra game to the work pile with Embiid a bit more beaten up.

Reply #853578 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Near historic choke by 76ers in the fourth, at home. Up 104-94. Hawks got it to 104-109 before Philadelphia got a useless bucket on the buzzer.

15-0 run against you at home.

Simmons 4/14 FT. Embiid missed two FT at a crucial time. Shooting dried up.

Wow.

Reply #854174 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Yep, they definitely got the yips - you could see it in everyone's body language, and the stiffness in their shooting techniques.

Reply #854177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thyerbule -17 in 25 minutes. Again take +/- with a grain of salt, not good though.

Reply #854182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off to game 7, game wasn't as good as United v Perth last night. I’m not convinced Simmons is going to take us to a medal.

Reply #854666 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit pitiful in the end for Philly. Trae went 5/23 FG, the Hawks didn't light it up from three and the 76ers still couldn't capitalise.

I don't think Simmons' playing reputation would have been lower than right now. 76ers might have to make positive noises until he finds reasonable form next season and then find a trade?

Reply #855236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons is about to be crucified best of luck to him with surviving the onslaught from fans and media particularly in philly

Reply #855259 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Simmons' struggling but the heat must be on Doc Rivers right now too?

Long time since he won that title with Boston, and results since not overly impressive, given the talent he's had at his disposal?

Reply #855262 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

They'll give Doc another chance, with a more 'normal’ type of PG / CG who can score from outside. They won’t give Ben one.

I can see him landing in LA.

Reply #855282 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I feel a bit sorry for Ben having the Free Throw woes and being exposed for it.

Philly (the franchise) and its fans have long accepted Ben's outside deficiencies, you can't now turn around and blame it all on him. But thats not to say Philly can't take action.

Reply #855284 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Ben wasn't the only one to blame when Philly choked big-time in game 5 - only Curry and Embiid scored in the second half, ffs.

At least he hands out assists and rebounds well; otherwise, you’d really wonder why Philly have kept someone this long who becomes a liability in finals.

Reply #855290 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

So did the Hawks win?

Don't answer, I know who won and I still can't believe it, Bring on the Bucks!!!

Reply #855313 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754