Shano76
Years ago

Sixers roster for 2021/22

Season is over for us, mercifully.

What do we need for next season? Commentators yesterday suggested a return to three imports.

I'd like to keep Isaac, Sunday, DJ (contracted) not sure about the rest. McVeigh at right cost.

Crocker? I was critical of him, but as a third import I guess we could (and have done) do worse.

Definitely need another good Aussie plus 2 star imports. Thoughts?

Topic #48669 | Report this topic

BeeGee  
Years ago

Definitely need players who actually WANT to play.

You'd have to say Hulland (sp?) would be good to keep on as a DP, he looked pretty impressive at the start of the year.

Realistically you’d get rid of: Dillon, Teys, IH (if on the money rumoured), BP, potentially Crocker, unless at the right cost, Pinder, Purchase

Keep: Johnson, Dech and maybe McVeigh if on lowish coin.

Reply #851764 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Humphries/Hodgson
Johnson/Majok Deng
Crocker/McVeigh
Dech/Djeric
Import/Isaac White/Mudronja

Reply #851767 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Why get rid of IH? surely he is the top priority signing. Only issue was injuries this year, otherwise he completely changes the team.

Need a big clean out apart from IH, DJ, Dech and McVeigh. Need atleast 1 more top end Aussie, 2 stud imports and serviceable one, plus some good Aussie back ups that put in effort and can defend

Can we still sign 3 imports if IH is marquee?

Reply #851768 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I think you can see three imports in addition to Isaac. I'd assume so anyway.

Zodiac, Hodgson intrigues me. You think he’d return?

Reply #851769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team im hoping for is something like

Humphries/Moore/Sato
Johnson/Pinder
Newbill/McVeigh
Dech/I White
Roberson/Mudojara

Ive gone for imports who are not likely to be ultra expensive but have some decent NBL experience even though none are MVP types I think they will be upgrades to what we have this year, I obviously would rather the best of the best MVP level imports, like Machado, Hopson, Oliver, but guessing we cant afford them, and dont trust JVG in picking fresh imports as he generally fails at this, so would rather just get 3 good NBL experienced imports next season, improve and get into or closer to the playoffs, then go from there.

Reply #851770 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac, Hodgson intrigues me. You think he'd return?

To be honest I forgot about the Filipino kid we've already signed but he'll probably just be a glorified development player anyway. Perhaps spells the end for Hulland though.

On Hodgson maybe? He's a FA, the coach is leaving, the Bullets going nowhere but he is a Brisbane local. But he knows the Bullets have already re-signed Harrison and Froling will probably be back too. Another Humphries injury could open up a lot of playing time for Hodgson.

Reply #851774 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I intentionally only picked two imports too. Not sure we'll see three imports back next season and even so I would rather see us go one less import and spread that money around the locals to get better Aussies.

Obviously Deng & Hodgson have both played here before, Deng a hometown boy like Isaac White who I think sent us a message when he dropped 16 on us when the Hawks were here a couple of weeks ago and Mirko Djeric could be a very handy as a 'break glass in case of emergency' player.

Djeric is very inconsistent but he's cold blooded and when he does go off he can seriously light it up for a quarter/half.

Reply #851777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These lists are always speculative and sometime fanciful. I think what is being said above about current players is around the mark but I would like to see Purchase have a full year with us. He is long, can handle the ball and shoot. We could do a lot worse

Reply #851780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Djeric and deng don't play good D, Cairns are not last for a reason, to many that don’t like playing D, even though the coach preaches it.
Sixers already got enough of those type players.

You need to get the best locals and get your imports around them. Start with McCarron at the point, Cooks at the 3 and Humphries at the5. Get a defensive import 4 and a high scoring 2 that plays D. McVeigh, Dech, Johnson off the bench plus two more cheaper players that can play D.

Reply #851783 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

My thoughts around IH are more around if he's on huge $$, could you get a better player (someone like Landale) for the same or similar?

Realistically though, he would still be great at the 36ers (or anywhere), given he is pretty good (obviously) and is also a local.

Reply #851787 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon, I was trying to be somewhat realistic in regards to the Sixers standing in the league and the fact with Humphries & DJ soaking up big money there probably won't be much to spread around. You can forget about McCarron & Cooks for starters.

Reply #851795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the 36ers will struggle to keep mcveigh. I think he'll demand overs to stay at the 6ers due to the treatment he received this year.

The choice 6ers will need to make is do they go for 2 good imports or 3 role player imports will be the question.

I don't think they be able to afford 3 good imports, IH, DJ and McVeigh. Its not like the players like Teys and Dillion are on big money and removing them will save them money.
I think they need to go after on the Dp's that did well this year, and try and lock one up. Le afa would be one, SEM will try and keep him if Kyle heads to Jack Jumpers. Issac White would be another,

Reply #851796 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

My thoughts around IH are more around if he's on huge $$, could you get a better player (someone like Landale) for the same or similar?

Landale not realistic the talk on here when he signed it was for $800K, no one other than United can afford that. Humphries was said to be on big money $400K which was probably fair given he played in the NBA and had some monster games in the G-League.

The question, becomes forgetting his mutual option nonsense, would he be prepared to come back perhaps at a slight discount to make up for all the time he missed through injuries this season? Is he worth $400K again for another season, maybe not? We'd be screwed without him though that's for sure.

Reply #851797 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think the 36ers will struggle to keep mcveigh. I think he'll demand overs to stay at the 6ers due to the treatment he received this year.

Being a Melbourne boy I could see him going to Tassie. They would need him more than we do and would likely be willing to pay for it. He's a nice piece to have off the bench but not starting quality, IMO.

Its not like the players like Teys and Dillion are on big money and removing them will save them money.

Pinder supposedly is though, talk was $200K, you could find an equal or perhaps even better player for half that price. That's why I didn't include him on my team not that I wouldn't want him back I just doubt he would be willing to take a 50% pay cut or something.

Reply #851799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Zodiac, you want to win you got spend, you can get lucky at times with budget players but not often. Gleeson is a great coach, Perth spend big for him even this season, yes they have some budget players this season but the overall budget is always in the top two or three.

Not convinced McVeigh will attract big offers, while he has improved this season, still got lot faults in his game, defensively and vision. If Pinder on 200k after being a benchie in Switzerland, who ever recruited him needs the arse. He at 80k tops.

Clubs two marquee players are are the key to all clubs you can pay what you like for a total of I think 400k towards the cap. There is similar for imports.

Sixers got stop f..king around and pay up. There crowds this season deserves it.

Reply #851801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is brandon paul not returning

Reply #851802 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was Pinder's contract a single year?

In an expansion year, I can't see how they can get by without using every import spot. Best bet is going to be to find bench guys from the top teams and offer them bigger roles.

Reply #851803 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon, I think you'll find the Sixers are paying up said last season to be one of the highest spending teams in the league. Griffin was supposedly on $400k.

This season DJ first year of new 3 year deal would be decent money, Humphries $400k, Pinder $200k, McVeigh last year of his 3 year deal we gave him out of college, 2 imports etc.

It's never about spend it's about how you allocate the money and Sixers have not done a good enough job of it the past couple of seasons, that's on JvG.

Reply #851805 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Was Pinder's contract a single year?

Yep, one year deal.

Reply #851806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not convinced McVeigh will attract big offers,

no but he'll add more to the Adelaide table to keep him. Not sure he'll want to stay but if they are going to pay why wouldn't he. His value has gone up this year. I think he'll accept less from others for opportunity

Reply #851808 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No clue about money side of the player contracts so will just assume "reasonable".

I think in an expansion year, Aussie talent will be more of a premium. Albeit third import will assist.

We probably need to be realistic and not expect to be necessarily scoring any star power Aussie talent beyond IH.

What's the sitch with Sotto? Is he our backup C or more of a DP?

Adelaides focus should be to secure IH, then look at how players fit roles. For example, Pinder at the start of the year and when starting looked pretty crap but when he found his role coming off the bench not trying to shoot everything and focussing on good disruptive defence and rebounds, he was very valuable.

Similarly Crocker coming for the bench without pressure to score, played with far more confidence. He could be X factor in that kind of role.

If Adelaide added another bench shooter, that may lessen pressure even more for Crocker so that he won’t feel the need to force it.

Go after IH, potentially keep Crocker and Pinder off the bench, go after young scorers in White/Rigoni.

Then you’ve got PG import/BP or import/McVeigh or other Aussie to consider. You’d want out of your three players good passing to work with IH, disruptive D so Dech doesn’t get tired doing everything, and a starting 5 scorer.

In theory BP and McVeigh can cover disruptive D and scoring but BP didn’t really impress with his effort and McVeigh may be too expensive and on the outs.

Reply #851818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers - Henry
(i)/Mudronja
(i)/Dech
Paul(i)/Mcveigh
Johnson/Pinder
Humphries/Sotto(ap)

Reply #851823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, meant..

Adelaide 36ers - Henry
(i)/(ns)/Mudronja
(i)/Dech
Paul(i)/Mcveigh
Johnson/Pinder
Humphries/Sotto(ap)

Reply #851824 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

It's been too long since the Sixers were genuinely capable of winning one or more championships.

The owner needs to find considerably more funding (sponsorships, partners etc.) or sell the team to an owner who has the resources to compete with Perth and United.

This has to be the clear and unrelenting message from members, supporters and local media.

It's no good to just keep putting together flawed rosters and trying to spin how good it is.

Were we really a realistic chance of winning with a teenager running the team?

2002 is starting to feel like a long time ago..

Reply #851830 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Think the 6ers sign Crocker as the third import off the bench, get a PG and a SF import and start Dech.

Reply #851831 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" The owner needs to find considerably more funding (sponsorships, partners etc.) or sell the team to an owner who has the resources to compete with Perth and United."

They aren't necessarily readily available.

Pretty sure LK provides a fair semblance of sponsorship funding or more or less organises it, there’s a reason Melb/Adelaide/Brissy often share same sponsors.

Reply #851836 | Report this post

LK  
Years ago

Keep Johnson, IH & BP for the starting five. Add two stud imports (total studs)

One should be a point guard who passes well

Off the bench go for two experiences vets on the cheap plus some young talent

Reply #851841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack the coach he was terrible this year and lacks what it takes. Then sack everybody accept DJ, Dench, & Humphries. Bring in a coach who can motivate and develop local players. Bring in imports who play the right way Brandon Paul was not the answer and his poor attitude body language and shot selection was piss poor as he seemed more concerned with the refs. Adelaide needs high character in all three import spots next year.

Reply #851845 | Report this post

LK  
Years ago

I should have indicated
Keep Dench on the bench

IMO. Keep Brandon Paul as one/three imports
Agreed, new coach required

Being up the assistant coach
JP

Reply #851846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac White is overrated. You can have him back in Adelaide, he will fade out in a couple off years

Reply #851848 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I should have indicated
Keep Dench on the bench "

Good old Axel

Reply #851849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love 'fans' suggesting the name of a player who clearly they don't know and want to keep him (DECH). He's is terrible BTW

Reply #851851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely you go after guys like Isaac White, Rigitoni, Holland and retain Mudronja. Get Jingles home to round it out. Get 2 to 3 top flight NBA fringe guys with the cheaper local guys. Build a great culture around the local guns and top flight imports like the championship teams of old. KB to HC, Smythe to Basketball GM. Bang! Dynasty.

Reply #851853 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not such bad idea.. let's build on local talent... the cream will cum to the top and your see basketball going off again like did when had last bonanza of locals... home grown is always better than cheap imports ..... SA pride....together altogether

Reply #851855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another deluded fan. "Get Jingles home" Sheesh. Reality man not fantasy.

Reply #851856 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

To be fair fantasy is the only thing Sixers fans have left.

Reply #851861 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pinder was generally criticised during the season, but obviously Henry sees something in him. Spatial Jam's Box Plus Minus has him with the worst offence in the team, but second best defence after Humphries (and ahead of Giddey). SJ's luck-adjusted on/off has Pinder at fifth for the team, while DJ is clear bottom. I got the impression that Pinder compared favourably to DJ in defensive positioning and decision-making.

Not worth anywhere near $200k but probably merit in keeping him at the right price, especially if McVeigh moves on.

Keeping Humphries should be the priority, IMO.

Reply #851898 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

An average team is inconsistent and Pinder kind of exemplified that didn't he.

He’s a bit of a bell weather in a way - sometimes he looked good and the team did too, sometimes he looked awful and the team did too.

Bench players didn’t look like they had a role to fill all season, they looked like they were just "there".

That was emphasised when they didn’t have Giddey and they did a lot of moving the ball around the perimeter which didn’t actually achieve anything and didn’t move the defence and didn’t open up good shots. Then they’d just jack up a shot and you never win that way.

Crocker and Pinder both showed glimpses of what can really work when they’re set defined roles coming off the bench. If we saw Humphries return and a third import slot open up, price willing, I’d be keen to have them back in the right setup.

Mud/teys they really can’t return can they? Our shooting went dry at times id rather have that remedied. They can exist to keep defenders honest for the others. Teys/Mud don’t really fulfill that; they are just kind of “keep the ship ok, just be there” type players.

McVeigh is value in being the energy guy with length, a shot, rebounding capacity and could slip in to the 5 if someone is injured. Other benchies may not be well fitted to slip into the 5 if required.

Reply #851905 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Humphries - Keep, but pay no more than this year. Worth risking another year given what he can do but the 50% availability is a major concern. We have been burnt with great talent that is not available before, see Childress. If Humphries does not want to come back, chase Nick Kay please.

DJ - Contracted no choice.

Pinder - Showed a bit at the rear third of the season but I have seen enough bad play that I can't see him being more than a 6th man type player, not a starter if the team is a championship aspirant. I would let him go.

Dech - Contracted no choice.

Paul - I think he is OK as a second import PROVIDED he can be utilised WHERE there is a stud import. * I am basing this on 3 imports next year.

Crocker - if cheap keep him, he is OK for a budget import.

McVeigh - Keep but do not go into a bidding war for him, he has a good jump shot but is prone to making poor decisions. He is not a starter.

Mud - Keep if cheap only.

Hulland - Keep if cheap only.

Purchase - I have only seen one game where he stroked the three as Gaze was harping on about it. I am not convinced this is a consistent performance, let go.

Teys - Let go. I personally think he has value but HEnry is not going to play him so let him go.
Dillon - Just let him go.

We need a stud import guard to sit along side Dech.

Other players worthy of consideration (I do not know their contract situations) :

- JLA
- Duffelmeier as back up PG.
- Ngatai to replace McVeigh if gone
- J Bairstow to replace Pinder.

Wouldn't be angry if we opted to chance 2 new imports because we know we cannot win with those 2 as out only two imports. Hoping we can find a Newbill.

Reply #852017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are all chasing Kay, at least the ones who have plenty of coin.

Reply #852022 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kay isn't coming to Adelaide, forget about it.

Reply #852025 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Must go after Tad Dufelmeier.

Best name in Aussie b'ball.

Court announcer will be in heaven every home game.

Reply #852039 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

36ers were well off the pace this year talent wise.

If suggestions are to keep most of roster as backups and make a few changes, even if those are replace Teys and Dillon with 2 studs (which cap wise probably won't work), will this be enough to keep up with top sides who will no doubt upgrade aswell?

I think the changes need to be more substantial and move some of this year's starters to the bench.

If Henry will be the coach, then back him in and he needs a large say on the next years roster, but I think only 4 Aussies should be retained and apart from IH are probably bench players. I like Dech and think he deserves a spot with DJ and possibly McVeigh. Others comes down to $ and what other options available

Reply #852245 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

36ers were well off the pace this year talent wise.

I don't subscribe to this view.

I will offer this disclaimer that we did not know how any of the new imports were going to do, we know the qualities of Ware, Machado, Oliver, Cotton and Hopson but we didn't know the Mooneys, Crockers and Sloans.

I think we were on par with playoff teams in terms of roster strength.

We had
Humphries - Elite player, highest paid in the league at the time.
DJ - Elite offensive player.
Crocker - Unknown let's say average import.
Dech - Up and coming player who is a good defender and can nail shots.
Sloan - Unknown quality but we expected upper tier of import given CV.

Then Giddey, Pinder, McVeigh and some that don't need to be named.

The top eight were 'OK', not exactly Melbourne United but OK.

I think the changes need to be more substantial and move some of this year's starters to the bench.

I have said I don't mind a virtual full rebuild and be almost an expansion team.

Chase Kay hard.
DJ is contracted but can move to second unit is we can get 3 imports.
Perhaps Delly if fit.
Plus 2 decent imports + 1 Crocker Budget one.
Duffelmeier for back up PG
Ngatai for SG/SF.

Reply #852252 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

My current preferred roster

Use all 3 imports, im using NBL names who i think would be good fits, and want JVG to use NBL proven guys were possible as he is hopeless at picking them

Id like to keep McVeigh, but guessing he will move on for more opportunities after his minutes were very up and down this season.

Not keeping imports or Pinder,

Pinder was too up and down for his price tag, whilst he did have some good games towards the end.

Humphries
Johnson
Dech
Hopson
Harvey

Ben Moore
Jack Salt - almost signed last year pre injury, now back playing in NZ
Brad Newley - rumoured kings want to move on and Brad wants to keep playing, this is Jack McVeighs spot if we can keep him
Shaun Bruce
I White
Mudojara
Sato

Reply #854217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey will stay at hawks
Newley will be a great pick up
Bruce is contracted, you had him there before
Hopson and Moore could be get able.

Reply #854219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import-Leafa-Mudronja
Import-Dech
Paul(i)-Mcveigh-SF(dp)
Johnson-Pinder
Humphries-Sotto(ap)-Hulland(dp)

Still a ns spot.

Pass on Crocker 35y.o
Teys, Dillon cut
Purchase move on
Giddey drafted

Reply #854221 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Humphries
Johnson
Dech
Hopson
Harvey

Ben Moore

Humphries is already the #2 paid local in the league.
DJ amongst the higher paid.
Hopson would not come cheap given his resurgence in form for UTD.
Dech - OK.
Harvey - Would be commanding big money given his #2 ranking for MVP.

I don't think the Sixers budget can afford this.

Reply #854224 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea possibly true, but thats the sort of line up and spend they will need to compete with the big teams of the league.

If we go too much cheaper we likely miss the playoffs again.

But yes they will possibly need to find cheaper imports, the guys i named are the ideals and if not them I want someone as close to as possible as them.

Reply #854225 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and want JVG to use NBL proven guys were possible as he is hopeless at picking them

You and I plus everybody else knows he's going to go out and try to find someone fresh just to try and prove he's a master recruiter for the upteenth time. *groan*

Reply #854244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754