NBL Central Mid Point Rankings/Awards
I know I'm not Woj but I thought I'd have a crack at some mid season awards and rankings. Very interested in others thoughts, including Woj and also interested in who people think will make finals from here.
1. Sturt Sabres - undefeated and simply too well coached and disciplined for other teams. Best guard combination by a long way.
2. Forestville Eagles - handled Southern easily and sit firmly in second position. Mays, Harris, Brine a great trio who look tough to beat. Who will they add for the title run?
3. Woodville Warriors - had some down performances but bounced back on the weekend to put the league on notice.
4. West Adelaide Bearcats - much improved form and showed against Sturt they are in the top tier with both imports firing.
5. Southern Tigers - sitting at 6-3 but got showed up by Forestville on their home court. Coleman has been great but their shallow lineup looking to be exposed now.
6. South Adelaide Panthers - will be the biggest jumpers over the next 9 games. No one has an answer for the inside outside game of Hulland.
7. Central District Lions - pushed a fancied South and while they haven't capitalised on their opportunities they are a good team capable of beating anyone.
8. North Adelaide Rockets - big win against Norwood but may be too little too late. Purchase has helped but will depart now to make way for McVeigh and Dech.
9. Norwood Flames - sitting at 4-5 but wheels falling off quickly and looking like a 1 man team at the moment.
10. Eastern Mavericks - tough year made tougher by constant player turnover. Best Rojo can hope for this year is to clean up the culture and work towards 2022.
MVP - Ju Ju Jacobs
The guy is a near triple double machine, just a complete player that we haven't seen here before. Team mates still adjusting to his uncanny passing and athletic ability. Woodville are lucky to have kept him through the NBL season without someone snapping him up. Some great players this year but Jacobs a cut above.
PG. Ju Ju Jacobs - As above
SG. Sam Daly - Best player on the best team. Daly has been great on both ends and has shown a more mature game than when he was here last.
SF - Cameron Coleman - Southerns best player and has had some big games in surprising wins.
PF - CJ Turnage - Simply a scoring machine, not his fault he's on a dud team with a terrible coach.
C - Alex Starling - Outrageous stats, playing at as high a level as ever even at his age.
Honourable mentions: Greg Mays, Earnest Ross, Lual Diing
Coach - Paul Rigoni
Easiest choice to make here, undefeated with a team many picked to be no better than 5th. Rigoni I think has won this award before and clearly has him team working the best of any right now.
Honourable mention: David Morrell - no one tipped Southern to make finals and they still may not but to this point it's hard to argue that he has not done a great job.
Youth Player - Keanu Rasmussen
Another easy choice. Rasmussen has been fantastic for Sturt, with some big scoring games at great %s. Not sure if he will see out the season or if he is going to college but may have already done enough to collect the award anyway.
Defensive Player - Alex Starling
Still putting up incredible numbers and having a huge impact on the defensive end. Have him slightly over Mays due to his versatility being able to defend guards as well as bigs.
Honourable mentions: Mays, Cameron Coleman