Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Award finalists named

https://nbl.com.au/news/andrew-gaze-mvp-awards-finalists

They need to start releasing the votes. Some very odd selections there. No way did Harvey have a better season than Mooney or Landale.

Topic #48678 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

A panel of experts selected nominees for the MVP, Rookie of the Year, Best Sixth Man, Best Defensive Player and Most Improved Player.

Coaches and captains from each of the nine teams then voted on the nominations with no coach or captain allowed to vote for a player from their own team.
The panel of experts for the awards comprised of Andrew Gaze, Casey Frank, Greg Davis, Olgun Uluc, Jo Healy, John Casey, Lachlan Reid, Liam Santamaria and Matt Logue.

Lindsay Gaze Coach of the Year
Brian Goorjian (Illawarra Hawks)
Dean Vickerman (Melbourne United)
Trevor Gleeson (Perth Wildcats)

Most Improved Player
Finn Delany (Sky Sport New Zealand Breakers)
Jordan Hunter (Sydney Kings)
Sam Froling (Illawarra Hawks)

Best Sixth Man Presented by Marsh
Jo Lual-Acuil (Melbourne United)
Kyle Adnam (South East Melbourne Phoenix)
Scotty Hopson (Melbourne United)

Damian Martin Trophy for the Best Defensive Player
Justin Simon (Illawarra Hawks)
Mitch Norton (Perth Wildcats)
Tom Abercrombie (Sky Sport New Zealand Breakers)

Rookie of the Year Presented by Champion
Dejan Vasiljevic (Sydney Kings)
Josh Giddey (Adelaide 36ers)
Justinian Jessup (Illawarra Hawks)
Other awards to be announced include Most Outstanding Media Coverage, Referee of the Year Presented by Europcar, Gametime by Kmart Award Presented by Kmart, Fans MVP Presented by Chemist Warehouse, All-NBL First Team Presented by Bunnings Trade, All-NBL Second Team Presented by Bunnings Trade and Executive of the Year.

Reply #851974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can United have two best sixth man of the year, one has to be a seventh man surely.

Reply #851975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey, lol where did his team finish. Always f..king guards, Mooney and Landale can feel pissed.

Reply #851976 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

MVP - Sobey

Coach OTY - Goorjian

Most Improved - Delany

Best 6th Man - Adnam

Defensive POTY - Norton

Rookie OTY - Giddey

The only that really needed any though put into it was defensive player of the year. That was clearly Humphries up until the point he got injured, not sure Norton really deserves it, he's not in the running but I probably would've picked Landale then.

Reply #851977 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So the votes are in and the season doesn't finish for another few hours.

As usual.

Reply #851981 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There won't be anything happening in the game tonight that impacts any of those award finalists and you know it, what a stupid thing to say.

Reply #851984 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My picks

MVP - Cotton

COTY- Simon Mitchell. So many injuries yet made top 4. Last year's starting big man played 1 game. Sykes missed about 12 games and wasn't fully fit in many others. Broekhoff missed a bunch of games after joining mid season. Gibson was in and out. Creek had his legal dramas and wasn't even allowed to train or see the team for a fortnight. But top 4.

Of the candidates chosen, I'll go Goorjian. Impressive to take over a new club and get them into the 4 in your first year, when many doubed him (they started the year at $3.50 for top 4)

Most Improved Player - Finn Delany (Sky Sport New Zealand Breakers). Not sure he "improved" the most but he's become a genuine superstar.

Best Sixth Man Presented by Marsh- Jo Lual-Acuil (Melbourne United)

Another one when a good candidate not chosen. Ben Moore could've taken out this award. Hopson started 12 games and Adnam 17, but I guess perhaps they shouldn't be penalised for their team's injuries? It's a tough one.

I was impressed by JLA consistently stepping on court and being the focal point of the offense for the 2nd unit, "the ultimate green light"

It's telling that the top 4 candidates for 6th man are from the two Melbourne teams. Speaks volumes of how they've battled injuries this season, showcasing their depth and both finishing top 4. Probably the two most talented rosters in the competition, I'm gonna hold onto my optimism and keep hoping somehow they make it through and we have GF games in Melbourne

Damian Martin Trophy for the Best Defensive Player- Mitch Norton (Perth Wildcats)

Rookie of the Year Presented by Champion- Josh Giddey (Adelaide 36ers)

Reply #851986 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I really don't understand this Sobey for MVP talk.

Reply #851988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can United have two best sixth man of the year, one has to be a seventh man surely.

NBA had the same. Sixth man is the award to the best player off the bench. Not necessarily the first player subbed in.

Living in Melbourne you could say I support both teams, but Harvey absolutely had a better season than Landale.

my picks

MVP - Cotton

Coach OTY - BG

Most Improved - Froling

Best 6th Man - JLA

Defensive POTY - Simon

Rookie OTY - Giddey

Reply #851989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having been overlooked for the past seven years, this has easily been Gleeson's best year as coach. No one predicted Perth to make the playoffs yet they finished within a whisker of top spot. He is the sensible selection.

It will go to Goorjian though.

Reply #851990 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Last year's starting big man played 1 game. "

I think because Wetzell has slotted in so well, and Moore has been a consistent impact player off the bench, people have forgotten the season Pineau had last year

He was top 5 in NBL for Rebounds, blocked shots and FG%.

A big out.

And when your import point guard battles an injury for much of the season too, plus all the other injuries and dramas, a good effort by Mitchell.

But like many other years and some of the other awards, there's several worthy candidates listed, and others unlisted all really, many possible deserving winners

Reply #851991 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Dech not a DPoY finalist?

Reply #851992 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think Gleeson deserves it this year too. The Cats blew away my expectations for this season. To do what we did with virtually no bench and Jarred Bairstow as our starting 4 is a credit to how well drilled this team is. Absolutely maximised Norton, Blanchfield and Mooney.

Goorj is a worthy contender too though. I like what he did.
Mitchell ... yeah, nah, as nice as it is for a new team to be this good this quickly, as much credit for that goes to the person financing the roster as the person coaching it.

Reply #851993 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[No one predicted Perth to make the playoffs yet they finished within a whisker of top spot. He is the sensible selection.]

I won't complain if Gleeson gets it, he would be a deserving winner

But I think his job was made much easier because Perth was the only team who was barely impacted by injuries throughout the season. (Except Majok who was replaced by Jervis months before the season). Cotton went down right at the end.

Perth had 10 players who played 32 games or more.

For comparison, Illawarra had 7. Every other team 6 or less, with NZ having 3.

Reply #851994 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

LV, go away.

Reply #851995 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Love you KR. Always have!

Reply #851996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you know Perth have had significant injuries in previous seasons yet still found ways to finish top four each year under Gleeson's tenure? He's never been rewarded for that so that isn't a reason to reward others for it now.

Reply #851998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every year people scramble to find reasons why Gleeson shouldn't win it. It's an absolute joke.

Reply #851999 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's another reason why I couldn't give it to Gleeson. It may be techincally his best coaching job this season but the Cats had a sweet run with injuries all season right up until the end with Cotton.

The coaching job Goorjian did this season with that Hawks team after their two big signings went bust was remarkable. Arguably Goorjian's greatest ever achievement getting that team into the Top 4.

I was a little surprised Dech wasn't a finalist for DPOTY too he should've been in there ahead of Abercrombie.

Reply #852000 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

MVP - Cotton

Coach OTY - Gleeson

Most Improved - Delany

Best 6th Man - JLA

Defensive POTY - Norton

Rookie OTY - Giddey

Wouldn't surprise me to see different picks though, Giddey about the only one that I'd be happy to bet my house on.

Reply #852001 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

"That's another reason why I couldn't give it to Gleeson. It may be techincally his best coaching job this season but the Cats had a sweet run with injuries all season right up until the end with Cotton. "

That may be so, but the team he had to coach looked like one you'd get after a series of injuries (ex Cotton, Mooney, Blanchfield).

Bear in mind Wagstaff coming to the end of his career, Jervis was retired, Bairstow not considered NBL quality (but ended up earning his place), DP's getting decent minutes..

Compared to Melbourne where you can knock off 2 or even 3 players before you'd have cut it down to what another team would look like losing 1.

Reply #852002 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think Gleeson deserves it this year too. The Cats blew away my expectations for this season. To do what we did with virtually no bench and Jarred Bairstow as our starting 4 is a credit to how well drilled this team is. Absolutely maximised Norton, Blanchfield and Mooney.

This argument has merit.

I didn't think they would make the playoffs at all.

To make the playoffs itself is a decent achievement.

We hadn't known how much Norton would step up with Martin gone.
We didn't have great expectations of Blanchfield nor Mooney given the people they replaced.

I personally thought starting Bairstow was a mistake, but he brings 'enough' value so happy to say I was wrong.

If we apply this to Gleeson and the Wildcats however, an equally strong argument can be made of Goorj and the Hawks doing what they did with complete dead weights as Adel and Cam Bairstow.

Reply #852003 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even Blanchfield has been pretty shit for a number of years. Expectations for Mooney were nowhere near his production level either.

Reply #852004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If we apply this to Gleeson and the Wildcats however, an equally strong argument can be made of Goorj and the Hawks doing what they did with complete dead weights as Adel and Cam Bairstow."

My response to this is that over the past several years, that argument has been made for other coaches. Bevo and Gaze off the top of my head. Isn't it time to apply it to the guy that took his underwhelming team to second spot due to his phenomenal coaching?

Reply #852005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson then daylight, surely he can't miss out. Goorj done a great job but Perth looked very bad roster be before a ball was bounced.

Cotton for the mvp.

Reply #852006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually it seems a majority of coaches in the past 8 years have been "exceeded expectations" so surely Gleeson gets the nod this time around.

Reply #852008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As koberulz says above. Gleeson probably deserves CotY for turning Blanchfield's game around this season.

That said, both Goorjian and Gleeson were fortunate to have MVP quality, match winning guards who played more than 90% of the season, in Cotton and Harvey. Replace either of those players with slightly lesser players and I reckon neither team would have made playoffs.

On that note, I think either Harvey or Cotton has to be MVP, given their importances to their respective teams' playoff places. Replacing Sobey probably would have not changed Brisbane's final ladder position much at all. Both Harvey and Cotton were more important - statistically and in terms of making the rest of the team better - than Sobey.

Based on Perth finishing second, Cotton gets it for mine.

Reply #852009 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bear in mind Wagstaff coming to the end of his career, Jervis was retired, Bairstow not considered NBL quality (but ended up earning his place), DP's getting decent minutes..

That's why I said this season was probably Gleeson's best coaching job yet, doesn't mean he deserves to win the award this season though. He didn't do the best coaching job in the league this season, IMO.

Reply #852011 | Report this post

Johnno  
Years ago

surely vasileiidoaisdjao deserves some thought for mip?

Reply #852012 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Gleeson. It's about bloody time.

Reply #852015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was better and why, Zodiac?

Reply #852016 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Slap in the face to MU and what they've achieved by not having Landale - and possibly even McCarron - as one of the three MVP candidates. Big Sobey fan but Melbourne finished first due to their two best players.

Gleeson COY for mine. Gorj did a great job but Gleeson took two Illawarra retreads - amongst others - and won with them.

Giddey. No contest.

Froling. Delaney was great after Tai went down but he was almost as this good for the final third of last season also - not as big a jump as Sam.

Norton for DPOY. There’s more to defence than big blocks and steals - of which the latter Norton does well. Perfs D starts with Norton up the floor turning guys once if not twice before they’ve reached halfway - and then he really gets in. I’m sure Simon will get it though.

As for sixth - I’m favouring JLA with Adnam a close second. It felt like every game this season that MU lost little when JLA gave Landale a rest. In isolation he’s arguably in the top five of unguardable players in the league - I reckon his matchups in practice with Jock would have been glorious! A bit rough that MU have two players in this category but when you’ve got two starting fives it’s somewhat understandable. I think Moller deserved a look in and maybe even Cadee if he could have been a little more consistent.

Reply #852018 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Also, baffles me that people like Uluc and Logue get a say in this stuff. Effectively fan boys who've developed into people with opinions based on no experience. Surely the league can designate their spots to former coaches, players or GMs who’ve been involved in the league and high end sport.

Reply #852021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson got the best out of each one of his players, and had a QBL guy and DP starting at the four spot almost all season. Blanchfield had a career year, as did Norton, he even got Wagstaff back into some form. And he won 25 games, won the NBL Cup and stayed in the top two for last two thirds of the season.

Goorjian couldn't get the best out of his NBA talent, had three imports (one an NBA draftee), he won four straight ganes to start the season, his team fell in a hole pretty quickly, then he scraped into the playoffs with a 8-1 record playing a bunch of shit teams and a Perth team missing Cotton. That means he went 8-15 in the middle part of the season. No, that isn't the best coach in the league this season at all.

Reply #852024 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

These aren't the nominees. They're the top three vote getters after the captains and coaches voted on the larger nominee lists.

Reply #852027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Sobey be even be in the discussion for MVP when they didnt make the finals. MVP really should be someone who helped their team to finals.

Brisbane lost more games than they won , so Sobey ulimtately couldnt make a difference when it counted.

I MVP can go to some bottom ladder team it could of been Trimble the year he was in Cairns. Did he score a lot - Yes , was he hard to defend - Yes - did they win - No.

Reply #852031 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Mooney exceeded expectations.

But so did Jack White at Melbourne and Vasiljevic in Sydney.

Blanchfield slotted nicely into Terrico's role but Blanchfields career has been very up and down. What he did this season was no more impressive than his last season in Townsville all those years ago or his best season in Illawarra.

Cotton is the best player in the NBL.

Wagstaff maybe the most accomplished NBL bench player ever?

Circling back to Mooney, where will he end up? Who knows. Hard to say exactly how much credit Gleeson gets but as Jack White and Vasiljevic show, is not unusual for kids to come into this comp and exceed expectations. Giddey too.

On Sobey, yes they missed playoffs but take Sobey outta that team and they're wooden spooners. With no D Cadee, out of shape Lamar, and big Matt Hodgson struggling through without their #1 weapon.

Reply #852032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what's your point?

Reply #852036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney could of signed as a next star and Perth had a chance for another import. Illawarra technically have 3 imports.

Fact Gleeson backed him in for our import show's he knows what his doing. E when you are expected to make playoffs you get overlooked as coy but his done wonders with the team we have had.

Cats hinged their hope on cotton getting citizenship yet still locked up second with 6 games to play! Now what if cotton was playing final?

What if’s don’t matter and injuries can’t determine how a team performs against another

Reply #852040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney had more than 20 double doubles.

Sobey just showed he's a flopper of the top shelf. No way is he mvp material.

Reply #852043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies is this has been discussed previously...

Why is Jessup able to be considered for ROY but Mooney (also a first year pro) isn't?

Is it only because Jessup is a next star?
If that’s the case, the rules seem a bit flawed.
For example, Jack White wasn’t a next star and being that he was a first year pro he would have been eligible.

Reply #852105 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Imports aren't eligible.

Reply #852108 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Most of the Next Stars are just imports under another name. Bit silly they can be rookie of the year.

But the NBL wants to give them the opportunity to win awards, so they can be referred to an "Ex-NBL Rookie of the year" or such. Adds a bit of recognition to the league, as many of them will become NBA players.

Reply #852111 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Personally feel like the MVP should include up to 5 contenders being the biggest award. Cotton, Sobey, Harvey, Landale and Mooney are the 5 that should be considered. Landale and Mooney have arguments over Harvey and Sobey.

MVP - Cotton: It's been a while since I've watched a player in the NBL knowing what they are capable of yet still being amazed and shocked at what they do sometimes. Highest scoring average in the league, improved his game in terms of assists whilst having a low turnover rate is also impressive.

COTY - Gleeson: Has coached Cotton into a better player if that's possible, has coached Mooney into a player that no-one thought would have exceeded Kay's output, coached Blanchfield back into a legit 2nd/3rd option, coached Norton into a Damo clone with better offense. Coached the Cats into 2nd spot whilst having a DP in Travers and state level basketball player in Bairstow starting for the majority of the season. A lot might be off the players own efforts, but that potential is reached first and foremost from the coaches and needing those players to buy in.

MIP - Froling: Tough one, I'd say Froling for full season, but Delany has jumped to another level in the 2nd half of the year. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Hunter take it. Closest of all the awards imo.

DPOY - Simon: Has the stats to back it up which I feel is what they will look at. Norton has been bashed around all season guarding the best gurads in the league and winning on at least half of the occasions, but you can't see 1 on 1 defence on the box scores. Simon has shut down players like Cotton, but at the same time I've seen those same players hit game winners over Simon, but feel his steal and block numbers get him over the line.

ROY - Giddey: Will be a travesty if he doesn't win. Dejan and Jessup have exceeded expectation's, but neither are a NBA lottery pick.

Reply #852165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping you are on the money for all those same reasons senator 11. Very good assessment.

Reply #852171 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Personally feel like the MVP should include up to 5 contenders being the biggest award. Cotton, Sobey, Harvey, Landale and Mooney are the 5 that should be considered. Landale and Mooney have arguments over Harvey and Sobey.
The three players listed are the top three vote getters. It's not a full list of the nominees.

Reply #852178 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"The three players listed are the top three vote getters. It's not a full list of the nominees"

Gotcha, maybe they should not assess the votes at this stage so they can put a larger list up? I'd personally have Landale and Mooney ahead of Harvey. Mooney is putting up essentially the same numbers as Bogut did in his MVP year.

Reply #852180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better change the judges then, how Mooney and even Landale are not better than certainly Sobey or at least on par with Harvey for their side is a joke. How many double doubles did Mooney have, where did Brisbane finish ? As Gaze would say, oh my.

Reply #852193 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/basketballhustle/photos/a.115267109867056/619901176070311

Damo has Norton just slightly ahead of Simon. Too close to call, but I suspect Simon will get the nod.

And yeah, cannot figure how Dech was not top 3.

Reply #852652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech was average in back end of season, getting less and less time, commentary love child, they got the correct three.

Reply #852655 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754