Anonymous
Years ago

Will 36ers coaching be reviewed?

With the season behind us, and the off-season officially underway for the 36ers, will they conduct a coaching review into the plan and direction of the team?
From tonight's news report Isaac seems less than keen to return, and I’ve heard rumblings that DJ is extremely unhappy. With only DJ, Sunday and Mudronja contracted for next season, a rebuild is not out of the question.
One would assume that Mudronja would be seeking a release to attempt to gain a better opportunity? This would leave DJ and Sunday.
Will this years structure and player body language assist in recruiting new players? What is on offer for free agents thinking about Adelaide?
Interested in people’s opinions on Adelaide’s coaching prospects moving forward, and if they will continue in the path their current coach is paving.

Topic #48681 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I didn't see the story but that doesn't sound good if Humphries isn't that keen to come back. I can understand Mudronja perhaps wanting to leave no loss but DJ being extremely unhappy? Gimme a break it's not like he was expected to play any semblance of defence under Henry.

Reply #852050 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

IH would be fielding decent money offers by many clubs.

Only way 36ers keep him is if he's keen to stay - judging on that, might as well write him off and Adelaide are in big trouble.

DJ unhappy doesn’t help things either.

Reply #852052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes because everything you see on the news is legit.

Reply #852054 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I doubt Humphries would be getting $400k from other NBL teams though, not after the injury riddled season he just had. Europe possibly though.

In the offseason we just gave DJ a brand spanking new 3 year deal (should've let him leave) to keep doing what he wants jack up his shots and play zero defence, he should be bloody grateful.

Reply #852056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replace DJ with who Zodiac? Do you choose coaches over literally the entire playing squad? Maybe I'm the only one that thinks the rotations and coaching was odd to say the least? If so, I need to quit and go back to playing board games in my basement like KobeRulez does?

A review should mean the CEO/GM seeks info from staff and players to determine things such as culture and how the players feel also.

Reply #852064 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Replace DJ with Obi Kyei for all I care. DJ's attitude stinks. All he cares about is his points if he's not seeing enough of the ball he starts sooking and strolling down the court giving minimal effort and that's before getting to his turnstyle defence. I've never seen a worse defensive big in my life. 7 foot tall can't even be bothered putting his arms up just leaves them down at his sides as guards lay it up on him.

Joey Wright said in that podcast during the season DJ won't do anything he doesn't want to do, not exactly a stretch to suggest he was talking about his refusal to play defence.

Reply #852074 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

DJ rumours every year.. he is loyal and a trooper... needs some comrades to shoulders yams...
Mud well does CH know he was in team ... too late to discover..
IH must be retrained at all costs...bigs too hard to find. We find we lose froling bradktke Hodgson deng - bit our bums...

Reply #852075 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I mean it's more than all that DJ's refusal to play defence screws up our recruiting and what players we can have on the floor alongside him.

Look at last season under Joey Wright he couldn't start both DJ & Eric Griffin together so we had to bench Griffin and start Obi Kyei.

This season under a new coach Conner Henry as soon as Humphries went down we had to start Pinder alongside DJ to try and cover all the defensive issues having DJ out there causes.

Reply #852076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon says "bigs too hard to find" and in the same breath says get rid of DJ for Kyei? C'mon! When do questions be asked of the coach and the culture and the confidence he breeds in players? None of the players looked too interested in playing for him. He benched and took Sunday’s confidence away (IMO) and Sloan could’ve been much better. I actually think JVG did a decent job recruiting, but it looked like the coach lost the playing group to me? Would a review of the coaching staff question that? Club Culture is very important, and Adelaide didn’t seem to have any! At what cost to you retain a coach (heaps fo good Aussie/NZ options) Vs keep a potential traveller that’s passing through!?

Reply #852081 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon, I said that about Kyei not the anon and I was partially joking.

Is Henry the problem? I thought it was Joey? Maybe the coaching isn't the actual problem but the star player you know the captain of the team.

Reply #852085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will never win with Henry Conner. This season yet again was a shambles.

Reply #852092 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Surely Henry is gone otherwise what's the point, apart from selling jerseys to the Philippines.

Reply #852107 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know that an impassive captain helps a team. The DJ era reminds me of the Ballinger era. Ballinger was an offensive stud but a team built around him started to feel compromised. You had to balance him in the frontcourt. You have to work out who has captaincy - can't give it to a new import who doesn't know why you're called the 36ers, not ideal giving it to a veteran who barely gets on court, and you lose impact if it's a quiet/personal type given the C because they get stats and have been around for a while.

Who was the vocal leader in the current team?

Reply #852117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac the title needs to be amended to perhaps, "Will there be a Coaching review?"

Reply #852120 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Your captain is Dech. Anybody who has spent 30 seconds with him understands that.

Reply #852121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure the 36ers will be reading this thread and taking notes..

Reply #852124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Henry has lost the players.

Two more years on his contract too. Going to be hard to recruit.

Reply #852132 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Every club and coach would have post-season review sessions. Whether there's much point in a coach thread if he has two seasons left on a contract is a different story. I'd guess any concerns would be offset by the disrupted season - replacing a key import, injuries to two key players, etc.

And if any player gives you an ultimatum, who would you heed? Giddey gone. Humphries might be one and done here. Not going to listen to the fresh imports that much. DJ? Would you pay out Henry's contract if McVeigh threatened to walk? Teys might be one in a position to make a measured judgement.

Reply #852142 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

McVeigh warrants a coach that will play him consistently. He has obvious short comings on the defensive end but it's not usually through lack of effort. He’s a bit similar to Timmy Coenraad - can get a bucket but poor decision making sans ball.

Would love to see him in Perf or possibly Illawarra. He’ll likely be stuck in the same role with Henry next season if he sticks with Adelaide. Could be a Smokey for Tassie but I hope they’re going hard at JLA first and foremost.

Reply #852212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson and Goorj play defence first, what make you the McVeigh would be a success there. Deng Adel is proof, Goorj could not fit him in the system.

Reply #852231 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I don't believe DJ or Jack Mc can successfully co-exist on the same team, I suspect they are disruptive to on-court chemistry at both ends of the floor.

Reply #852238 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sixers:

1. We say it every year, but recruit better imports!

2. Avoid the injury bug. Humphries injury was the difference between playoffs and 2nd last. Compounded by Giddey missing a few games and Crocker to a lesser extent.

3. Have more than one guy who can play the point on your team!

Reply #852242 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

Kai sotto Made a mistake signing in 36er uniform...

Reply #852937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley is an interesting pickup

Reply #854442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm. No one has picked up Newly.

Reply #854443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole import saga is interesting. How come Adelaide always picks a dud and then wastes a third of the season before replacing them with a good import who should have been selected initially. I know timing is key, but surely we can do better.

Reply #854455 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754