Anonymous
Years ago

Cotton's ppg average this season highest in 40-minute era

Cotton's 23.5 ppg is the highest a player has averaged in the 40-minute era.

The previous best was Kirk Penney's 23.2 ppg in 2009/10 - the first 40-minute season.

23.5 ppg is the highest since Penney had 24.2 ppg in 2008/09.

It is also Cotton's 4th season being the scoring leader, the second most in league history. The next on the list – Gaze with 14 seasons as leader.

Topic #48682 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

40.7 % FG, 31.9% 3pts, career high for FGA too.

Unfortunately too many poor shooting nights from him this season for MVP talk.

Reply #852063 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

Sobey is more points than cotton...

Reply #852067 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Total points not points per game.

Reply #852070 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Also career high free throws hit by a huge margin, and shooting 90% too

Plus career high 5.7 assists and only 1.7 turnovers

So Cotton is overall reasonably efficient despite his FG and 3P%

He's modified his game as required this season, shouldering even more of the load. Easily mvp for mine as he influences the entire structure of the game more than anyone and takes more of the opposition coaches attention than anyone

Reply #852079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly the mvp.

Reply #852084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should clarify this thread's only talking about the modern 3 point era, not back at the start of the NBL.

Reply #852090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most sense you have made lv. I think fatigue really set in during his cold spell too, he started the season hitting everything.

Reply #852109 | Report this post

Damian  
Years ago

Did anyone else have a bet with the tab on the what are the odds scoring market ? They have put up Bryce cotton as the winner even though sobey had more points . They have went with average points as the scoring champ ,, this seems bizarre

Reply #852113 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's literally the way it's always been done, or the winner would just be whoever plays the most games.

Reply #852114 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They have put up Bryce cotton as the winner even though sobey had more points . They have went with average points as the scoring champ ,, this seems bizarre

The scoring leader was always total points scored until after 1996 when it was changed to PPG.

Reply #852115 | Report this post

Damian  
Years ago

According to who?
If a player plays one game and puts up 30 against one who plays every game and averages 28 .. the one game player is scoring champion? You would think points leader is points champion

Reply #852116 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a minimum number of games played.

Reply #852118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon Damian, there is always a minimum of games obviously.

Cotton won it in 2017 having played 11 games.

Randle won it in 2018 despite Cotton scoring the most points that season.

Reply #852119 | Report this post

Statman84  
Years ago

While one of the Anon's above mentioned this is only during the "modern 3 point era", you cannot discount those first 5 seasons on the NBL when it was also 40 minutes and there was no 3 point shot.

There are too many to list, but it is a whole lot more impressive that they scored so high without shooting 3s.

Maybe retitled this thread: "Cotton's ppg average this season highest since reverting to 40-minute games"

Reply #852123 | Report this post

Damian  
Years ago

What is the minimum number of games then ,, where are you guys getting these definitions from ,, the nbl records have points leaders as the one who has scored the most points ,, it makes no sense to go with points per game as an historical parameter

Reply #852134 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I always assumed it was ppg never total points but obviously that was incorrect. I'd say they went to ppg to follow the NBA and other leagues around the world who are all ppg as well?

I'd assume number of games played would be the same as number of games required to play finals?

Reply #852158 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

I am not sure what the rule is but to my mind highest ppg, minimum 75% of games played would be a fair metric.

I don't think it would be fair to provide the top award to a player ,marginally/moderately ahead of another if one missed half the system and the other kept up their performance all the way through.

On the same token it would be pretty unfair to count a guy out just because he missed one or two games.

Reply #852218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL officially moved to points per game for their scoring leader in 1997

https://web.archive.org/web/20170923062541/http://nbl.gearbox.performgroup.com/nbl-all-time-leaders

(scroll to the bottom for "All-time Scoring Leaders")

1996 Andrew Gaze 843 pts / 26 games

1997 Andrew Gaze 31.5 ppg / 30 games

Reply #852280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754