Isaac
Years ago

Nikola Jokic named NBA MVP

Jokic with 91/100 first place votes to finish with 971 and the MVP award. Embiid with 586, Curry 453 completed the podium.

First Nugget to win MVP. First MVP picked lower than top 15 (picked at 41, second round). First centre since Shaq in 1999/00.

List by points/votes:

Jokic
Embiid
Curry
Giannis
CP3
Doncic
Lillard
Randle
Rose (got a first place through fan vote)
Gobert
Westbrook
Simmons (one fourth place vote)
Harden
LeBron
Kawhi

Jokic averaged 26 PPG, 11 RPG and 8 APG. PER of 31.4 ranked 1st in the league. Denver finished third in the West.

Topic #48685 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I for one think this is a great result.

Reply #852173 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

great result. The next 3 were all great as well and you could shuffle those around in the 2nd to 4th places. I feel the same with the next 3, Luka, Dame and CP3.

After that its a bit of a mixed bag.

Such a weird year with guys like LeBron, Harden, Kyrie, KD, AD all missing significant time.

Reply #852186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jokic is just greatness.

Reply #852197 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

How many things have to go right for this result to occur, given all those outlying-type stats Isaac mentioned at the start? What odds would you have got on him being an MVP on his draft night?

That Jokic succeeds in the NBA with his body type and skillset is incredible, given how the rest of the league around him plays. He's the most watchable player in the NBA IMO. It also makes me wish Sabonis had played in the NBA in his prime (or could time-travel to come back and play now, in his prime). He was 7-4 and had all the Jokic attributes.

Reply #852221 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What odds would you have got on him being an MVP on his draft night?

Astronomical ones considering he even started this season at around 30-1 to win.

Reply #852295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you compare his numbers to say Giannis I'm not sure how he won

Reply #852300 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuO1iGP5L7I

Very good watch for anyone after an analysis of Jokic's playstyle and 20/21 season. Deserving MVP.

Reply #852663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Think I saw something saying that not only was the broadcast showing a Taco Bell ad when he was drafted, he wasn't even watching the draft himself.

A few awards to non-Americans recently - Giannis and Jokic as MVPs, DPOTY has gone Gobert, Gobert, Giannis, Gobert; Simmons, Doncic, KAT and Wiggins as recent ROTYs before Morant (plus Brogdon in the middle).

Reply #852666 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754