Anonymous
Years ago

I'm better than other MVP candidates: Jock

"I wasn't shocked, I wasn’t offended, honestly I know how good I am, and I think most people do, where missing out on the MVP didn’t affect me in the slightest," said Landale, who also hailed the MVP “more of a scoring award”.

“I looked at this list and hats off to those guys first and foremost, but I looked at it and said, 'Man, I’m better than these guys. Whatever.

He also revealed he has received “a lot” of NBA interest this season, so he wants to perform in the finals for United to secure a contract.

Finally, Jock mentioned the no crowd situation will suit United as it will make it feel like practice, where they excel.

Topic #48694 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-star-jock-landale-places-nbl-championship-and-nba-over-league-mvp/news-story/0c6292f0c0792de337b1622b644208c9

Reply #852408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For someone who says he isn't bothered, he sure sounds bothered!

Reply #852410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played with no crowds all season they are used to it

Reply #852414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually has a point, my problem is he's not better than Mooney.

Reply #852415 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's a better player than Mooney, he's been rested throughout the season such is the embarrassment of riches United has with their team they've been able to play him limited minutes all season saving him for the playoffs and they still comfortably finished top of the ladder.

Clearly he was miffed not being a finalist for MVP but he was never a serious chance to win it given United were always curbing his minutes.

Reply #852417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When an award is based on opinions and you carry yourself with a borderline smug demeanour, rightly or wrongly thats going to come into play.

Reply #852419 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is probably all loose change to him compared to his Europe money previously and NBA money to come.

I don't think he is going to lose sleep over this.

Reply #852421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant wait for the day he makes an nba debut and gets totally dominated. Bogut runs his mouth but at least contributed in the league.

Reply #852422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delusional

Reply #852431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not certain any coach would take him ahead of Cotton, Landale can play, nba I’ll believe it when I see it.

Reply #852433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being mentored by Bogut was a bad idea for his mind. The guy has become increasingly arrogant as a person.

Reply #852435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep what a delusional character

Reply #852436 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Sounds offended and rightfully so. He should be on that list ahead of Sobey & Harvey. Anybody with any sensibility knows that. He's gonna have the last laugh though that’s for sure.

Reply #852437 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He clearly hasn't learned from the "undefeated" comment.

Reply #852438 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

He's one of 4 or 5 guys with a genuine MVP case. Even Creek or Ware weren't far off it.

Landale is a victim of Vickerman's equal opportunity system- 26th in NBL in minutes per game

All the other contenders are top 12- Cotton, Sobey top 2, Ware 5th, Mooney 7th, Harvey 9th Creek 12th

They're averaging 32-36 mpg whereas Landale 27.5. Landale only played more than 31 minutes in 5 games. Means he had less opportunity for those monster 25-30 point games that make people take notice.

He was a model of consistency, played the team game and the best player on a team who was 3 games clear on top. MVP material absolutely, but like I said, so were a few other guys

Reply #852440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's this school of thought that Jock is a sure fire future NBA player.

Reply #852442 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I don't think Jock is a certain NBA player.

But I think he's definitely got a better chance of getting there, and a game that's more suited towards playing a role over there or in Euroleague, compared to the 3 guys ahead of him

Cotton is mvp for mine, but I do think Landale is a better chance of becoming a top Euroleague player or an NBA role player. That's probably what Landale had in mind when he's saying he's "better".

Reply #852443 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Players have different strenths and weaknesses that lend themselves towards different things

Those of us who played junior basketball wouldve seen this first hand- some guys dominate the local comps but don't shine as much in representative colours

Similarly, someone like a Dave Barlow, accomplished NBL player with a 15 year career behind him, at NBL1 level doesnt necessarily "dominate" and lesser NBL players or fringe NBL player put up better numbers than him

Landale I think will turn out to be similar, in that he didnt average 25ppg at NBL, but has a game thats suited to the higher levels of basketball- being 6-11 with range that extends way outside, can run the floor, a smart decision maker who can play within a system, and efficient.

Reply #852444 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"they've been able to play him limited minutes all season saving him for the playoffs"

So your argument is that because he wasn't fit enough to play the same minutes as Mooney, that makes Landale a better player?
So obviously Jawai is better than both of them and should be MVP?
Landale's "problem" is that even when he was playing last season (before covid shut it all down) he was only playing 20 minutes. He's actually improved on that.

" comfortably finished top of the ladder."

Nothing comfortable about it, by all accounts Cotton is still in pain.

Being "better" in Basketball is all relative. Landale is a great player by NBL standard, and can pretty comfortably dominate at the 5 spot. His "better relates to the fact that he can also play the 4 internationally, and at his best was considered a prospect for playing the 4 at NBA level.

Mooney has played above his size all season, and mostly done exceptionally well, but no surprise was less successful against Landale. I think that with his athleticism and outside shot, he'd be good enough to play PF in Europe. But NBA??? Surely he'd be too small?

Reply #852447 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Goose.

Reply #852455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's and Australian born and raised and look at the hate given to him by his on countrymen...Shame especially when none of you can even F—ing play the sport your so passionate critiquing. He’s a lock for an All NBL Team and his life looks great unlike most of you STFU and enjoy him why you can if he was on your team you will be outraged and cheering his every move....

Reply #852469 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He isn't on our team though because Melbourne United have no fans.

Reply #852470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#469 you are allowed your opinion, so are we, I don't believe he’s the mvp even if he says he is, again he’s allowed his opinion. Where he’s born got f..k all to do with it.

Reply #852475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His team is stacked, like totally stacked and he has played less minutes than other candidates. Should he be in the conversation, in different circumstances for sure, in this case, it's easy to say no. I find it funny how when a certain James Ennis tossed his nbl 1st team trophy in the river he was put down for wanting the mvp. because, his team was so stacked they didn't need him, despite him been so far and above evey other player in the league, and actually having the numbers and minutes to back it up. Yet for jock, who doesn't have the minutes and raw numbers on away more stacked team he is snubbed? Interesting. Also I'm taking cotton over jock if I started a new franchise every day of the week.

Reply #852557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#469, assuming you're Mr or Mrs Landale. Don't listen to the nasty people

Reply #852579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale I used to like, was a pretty humble guy before becoming pro, after zalgjris/WC he became very bitter, likely because nba contract fell through. Hanging around Bogut and finding out he's not the premier big in the nbl has hit him hard upstairs.

Reply #852583 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Bogut 2.0

Reply #852588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone watching tonight?

Reply #852707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jock talks the talk and then walks the walk.

Reply #852711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky no other mvp candidates were playing today because Jock was far from the best player.

Reply #853020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In his defence he only played 13 mins

Reply #853021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jock (5fouls) Landale. That is all

Reply #853025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haters gonna hate

Reply #853026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all honesty it's Cotton, then Cotton then daylight.

Reply #853044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloke played less minutes i the regular season then all the candidates as mentioned so if he was allowed to play 5-8 more mins then his stats would look better and all the trolls mentioning tonight seem to forget it's a regular season award

Reply #853048 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Whoa... I mean confidence is one thing but blind arrogance is just next level LOL…. He's not THAT good , he’s good but so are plenty of others , he’s got to stand the test of time , he probably will get to NBA but he will be a bit player not an all star, his ego will be bruised badly , hope he takes lots of "swell down" when he goes

Reply #853115 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

...he looks like an emu!

Reply #854112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:16 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754