GGWhatisthis
Years ago

NBL1 So many upsets?

Warwick @ 1.05 odds lost, and before that rockingham flames also lost.
Are bookies just unable to cap this league?

Topic #48704 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Years ago

The further away from top flight the competition is, the more upsets you'll see.

Reply #852961 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There are too many games to handicap plus the max bet limits are so low it doesn't really do much damage as far as the books are concerned.

Reply #852962 | Report this post

GGWhatisthis  
Years ago

Not sure where you're getting the bet limit but in Europe we're able to bet 1000+ on the games, already lost 3k euros on it

Reply #852965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't bet on it then. Obviously a foreigner trying to get some info. Here’s some info for ya, maybe 1-3 players on each team are full time players. The teams train twice a week, at night, after dinner.

Reply #852967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What basketball game doesn't have upsets? What sport doesn't have upsets?

Reply #852968 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

For context Aussie bookmakers will ​let you on to win up to $50 and you're betting thousands on an amateur league.

Your edge would come from betting underdogs since the original bookmaker who capped the odds did not intend for such high wagers to be made.

Reply #852971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it must be true.

Reply #852988 | Report this post

GGWhatisthis  
Years ago

"Don't bet on it then. Obviously a foreigner trying to get some info. Here's some info for ya, maybe 1-3 players on each team are full time players. The teams train twice a week, at night, after dinner."

Yeah, I figured that now.

"What basketball game doesn't have upsets? What sport doesn't have upsets?"

Look at this weekends fixtures, nearly 30-40% were HUGE odds upset, not talking about like 2.20 / 3.50 but 10.00 odds or even 9.00 - this is VERY rare in European leagues, maybe once or twice every few gamedays, but this often?

Reply #853110 | Report this post

GGWhatisthis  
Years ago

Oh wow! Thanks for letting me know. I'll def stay away from this if in Australia there is so little max bet on this. I saw the max you can do in Europe or in my websites is 10000.

Reply #853111 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Look at this weekends fixtures, nearly 30-40% were HUGE odds upset, not talking about like 2.20 / 3.50 but 10.00 odds or even 9.00 - this is VERY rare in European leagues, maybe once or twice every few gamedays, but this often?

I'm not surprised. The odds originate out of bet365's Australian division by one ex-NBL player covering a competition which has ~60 clubs over four state-based leagues. In fact most bookmakers here don't even offer markets on NBL1. Unless you have specific knowledge as a local there is no point getting involved.

Reply #853167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simply wrong Perthworld.

Reply #853190 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a great rebuttal by anon.

Reply #853238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do some research before posting your limited knowledge of the truth.
The person you think is working at BEt365 hasn't been working there for a fair while. So you are simply wrong. Good rebuttal.

Reply #853243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who *does* set the odds then? Is it purely algorithm based?

Reply #853247 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah, so someone simply else took over from him. Awesome contribution by you.

Reply #853248 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

so simply someone else took over from him*

Reply #853250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may have been true 10? years ago Perthworld but it ain't true now. Don't state something to be a fact when it's a lie.

Reply #853261 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Employees leave companies all the time and guess what - someone new takes over! It's still the same process.

Reply #853267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they do. Shame you didn't know that and keep posting lies. Please tell us how you know it's the same process? Oh that's right you don't know the facts. GD is long gone yet you didn't know that and posted it as truth.

Reply #853298 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bookmakers are still going to frame markets regardless of whether GD is there or not.

Reply #853302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not what you said. You stated facts that are wrong. Clearly you would know nothing about who or how the odds are set. Let alone the people that work there.

Reply #853311 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who *does* set the odds then? Is it purely algorithm based?

Data modelling is used by traders at the larger bookmakers. For example historically the odds for NBL (and other major pro Australian leagues) originate from TAB, and more recently Sportsbet who have become a major player.

Reply #853322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The odds originate out of bet365's Australian division by one ex-NBL player covering a competition which has ~60 clubs over four state-based leagues. In fact most bookmakers here don't even offer markets on NBL1. Unless you have specific knowledge as a local there is no point getting involved."

WRONG on everything you said..

Reply #853328 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh wow! Thanks for letting me know. I'll def stay away from this if in Australia there is so little max bet on this. I saw the max you can do in Europe or in my websites is 10000.

You're welcome. Good luck in your future punting and ignore the noise in here. :)

Reply #853347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one will be bettin 10000 of anything on NBL1.

Reply #853371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do they adjust when lineups change? Or are the odds off and then adjust as money comes in?

Reply #853411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adjust as money comes in.

Reply #853414 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

They go hand-in-hand as the odds come in when injuries, lineup changes etc. are released and it becomes a mad rush to get on with the now value price before it disappears.

Reply #853418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adjust as money comes in. Fact.

Reply #853425 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754