Anonymous
Last month

Channel 10 makes $300m soccer investment

Football has struggled at domestic level over the last few years but Ten is bullish about the sport's potential in Australia and is planning a huge advertising blitz in the coming months to improve its visibility - and as part of this new deal, along with cross-promotions involving flagship shows like The Project and MasterChef, it will commission a children’s program focused on promoting participation in football.

Having once made the Big Bash League the country’s hottest sporting property in the summer, Ten believes it can now make the round-ball code the most popular in Australia.

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ten-back-soccer-to-become-no-1-sport-in-australia-after-300m-investment-20210615-p5818a.html

Pity we can't get this investment into Australian basketball :(

Topic #48714 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Last month

Rumour is Nine/Stan NBL deal to be announced after the season is over.

Reply #853633 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Where's that rumour from re the end of season thing? Haven’t seen anything since The Australian.

One thing we know is NBL would be extremely lucky to get a tenth of the ALeague deal

Reply #853636 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Or a semblance of being paid at all, opposed to "revenue sharing"

Reply #853638 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Yes, from The Australian.

Reply #853648 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

" Yes, from The Australian."

The article never said that though.

You're being misleading.

They were a rumoured bidder, nothing about a deal having been made to be announced after the season is over.

Reply #853715 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

The speculation was if the rumour is correct it would be announced after the season.

Reply #853717 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

That wasn't the speculation, the speculation was Nine/Stan were bidding.

Any broadcast situation will be announced after the season. That’s a given.

But there’s nothing to indicate a deal has been reached, let alone being Nine/Stan.

Reply #853737 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Fair enough. The NBL broadcast situation, in terms of potential monetisation, really is dire.

Reply #853757 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

With streaming services entering and willing to pay overs, now is the most opportune time.

If the NBL doesn't manage to get money offers, they never will tbh.

Reply #853768 | Report this post

ME  
Last month

Well there were a few articles going around about the Stan/Nine deal and the going word on the street was that it was worth 20 million per season.

Now, 20 million a season in the sport's world is not a lot. But for the NBL, that would bring them up to about break-even for the league, and would allow for them to take more risks and potentially spend more money.

There's obviously no update as to whether a deal has been reached - how could their be? But Ten has taken the Soccer, and with Stan wanting sport on their streaming service, the NBL is no less a viable proposition than it was when the talks first emerged.

If the NBL is smart, and if a deal was tabled to the tune of 20 million dollars, I'd imagine that deal was snapped up. The only reasons why it wouldn't have been would be if they were worried about whether the league would lack exposure on Stan. I've seen arguments on both sides for whether there would or would be enough viewers there.

Viewership and attendance have taken a fair hit so that may or may not have a bearing on what deal might have been made. But I am sure when Stan, apparently, put the prospect to them, that Nine and Stan weren't expecting for the NBL to suddenly be a ratings winner - it never has been and probably never will be.

If a deal has been made, they probably have some expectation that the NBL finds the next LaMelo Ball, the next Bogut, or injects some star power, because obviously Stan will want some return on their investment. But at 20 million a season for a service that is just starting out in the sports arena, and for the NBL, I think both parties will come up with about what they expect from such a deal, and the NBL would oblige that kind of thing.

So, my view is if the article dropped from the Australian, who apparently have links to the league, and if there hasn't been some inability to agree on some fine print, or if the viewership numbers haven't scared them away, I expect the deal will be announced at the end of the season. I think it will be the 20 million Stan deal and it wouldn't surprise me if it was agreed to way back when we first heard about it.

Reply #853769 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Absolutely, with the glut of streaming services available at this moment in time and the demand for content if the NBL doesn't manage to monetise now then once the inevitable consolidation of providers occurs this window of opportunity will be gone.

Reply #853772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

"Where's that rumour from re the end of season thing? Haven't seen anything since The Australian"
Perthworld making up shit.

Reply #853776 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Brilliant timing by a vindictive anon just after ME's post came in to clear things up.

Reply #853778 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

Soccer is way bigger than bball

Reply #853824 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Punch - insightful time tracking
Dunk.com.au - Custom basketball uniforms
Beam Orders - a quick, simple order and payments site for your business.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Mon 26 Jul 2021 | Posts: 890,079 | Last 7 days: 1,157