Earlier this year
Grand Final: Recipe for Success
Much to the disappointment of many of the Hoops community, the powerhouse United survived a massive scare and came from 17 points down to demolish SEM and book their flight to Perth
Here's my recipe for success:
- Start Barlow.
- Run plenty of sets for CG43 early on.
- Pick and Pop for Landale.
- Run, run, run and play at pace. "Be quick, but don't hurry". Fast ball movement, get the ball through hands, push the ball up the floor at every opportunity. Perth can only beat us by playing scrappy basketball and controlling the tempo at a slow bump n grind.
- Practice press breaker- Perth will apply full court pressure at times. United has to take care of the ball- as Perth are specialists at pressure defense. The half court sets are one thing, but you have to get the ball up the court quickly in the first instance and into the hands of the right guys to start the offense.
- Box out. All 5 guys have to be committed to rebounding. Magnay, Mooney, Travers will be hitting the glass hard for 2nd chance points. Wagstaff will be trying all his tricks and aiming for the Game 2 Wetzell red carpet treatment and the red army will be right behind him.
- Scout Blanchfield hard, and create a plan A, B and C for him. Steindl might get hot at times but I don't think he's got 5 games in him. Mooney has been dimished by Cotton's absence, he doesn't create his own shot. Mooney might get his 18 and 10 every night but I don't think he'll be the difference cos I think Landale will match him. But if Perth can pull off the upset, it'll be behind Blanchfield stepping up and hitting 25 on 2 or 3 occasions.
West Australians, what's your recipe for another Perf title?
A hit on Landale in the car park isn't an option....