NBLcentralWOJ
Years ago

NBL1 Central Round 10 Preview

After a weekend off, hopefully a few teams were able to rest a few little niggles and pains. No doubt my mate will come out and have a sook about how I'm picking on some people, especially his precious North for some reason. If you don't like my writeups, don't read them. Totally missed my point the other week about parents having a sook about coaches, it was meant to signify those in the stands having a go at someone volunteering their time, if they think they can do better, go ahead. Anyway, enough of that. Halfway mark of season, Sturt way out in front with a perfect 9-0 record and at opposite end, Eastern 0-9. Woodville and South disappointing at 5-4 and Southern the surprise packets at 6-3, including a late game fadeout against West. But only 2 games separate 2nd and 7th, the next few rounds could be crucial, plus you have the long awaited debuts of Jack McVeigh and Sunday Dech, can they catch up sitting at 2-7, would nearly have to win out to have a chance of sneaking in to finals.

Norwood Vs Woodville
Could be another nail in the coffin for Flames, or conversely, another in Whitmores. Turnage proceeds to dominate for the flames, but they got massacred by Dowdell and Purchase in last game against North, outscored 45-25 in second half. Woodville had a training run against Eastern, nearly winning by 50, but that was after a 3 game losing streak. Hard to tip in this one, but going for an upset and Norwood getting a win.

Sturt Vs Southern
Talking about Sturt and how they are undefeated is like talking about Eastern and how they are yet to get a win. Sturt are just chugging along nicely, nothing fancy, just a bunch of guys that play good team basketball and are coached well. Once in a while someone jumps out in the stats department, but its their overall depth that looks like the key to their chemistry. Southern have surprised everyone, but got beaten badly last round. If they manage to pull this one off I'll cross out the question mark, have a chance with their frontline. Will be more of a question with their defence against the guards of Sturt, they don't go very deep with their bench in the backcourt. Sturt should continue the winning streak.

Eastern Vs Forestville
Shouldn't be too much to write about here. Forestville should dominate in all areas, might give a chance to some bench players to get some run. Only thing for Eastern is maybe a drinking game with Rojo, if he argues a call, take a sip. Loses his shit, finish the glass, gets a tech, have some shots. Might be some very drunk people in Mount Barker this weekend.

North Vs South
And here we go. North I assume will have McVeigh and Dech playing, but saw that Manel Ayol has gone to NZNBL and Purchase gone as well. South very lucky to get past Centrals last week, Hulland too big inside as well as hitting the outside shot. Mudronja was solid, so will be interesting to see how he probably matches up against Dech, one of best defenders around. McVeigh will probably have to ice his arm after shooting a hell of a lot. And also what will Sunday be like in the league, with the Sixers could make open three and was more aggressive on offence this season, will he open it up a bit more here. Dowdell will have to stay out of foul trouble, but will be interesting. Going to go with North, but not putting any money on it.

Centrals Vs West
Centrals have been competitive all year and took out the first encounter against Bearcats. Question I have for Centrals is whose the man for them. Dave Humphries has runs on the board and one of best players in league, Lual Diing has NBL talent with his athleticism and size. They just don't seem to mesh well with each other. And maybe the worst starting point guard in league doesn't inspire any confidence amongst his teammates. West cant talk too much with Spud out there, but at least he has some runs on the board. Expect a grand total of 8 points and 4 assists combined with those two. West are coming together at right part of season, would be ruing losing the game against Lions in first round. Still not completely sold on West but with Ross and co having a few months together, they should take out Centrals.

Topic #48727 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did purchase go?

Reply #854155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spud hasn't started since about round 2...

Reply #854157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Purchase is playing according to NBL1 news

Reply #854161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we sure Dech will even be good in this league?
McVeigh has history of at least being ok but not as good as the elite imports. Is Dech as good as McVeigh? I think Starling could eat both of them in this one.

Reply #854192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he can only guard one at a time

Reply #854195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From memory McVeigh was ok like you said when last in league - 2019. He made all star 5 that year so I guess you could say he was ok

Reply #854216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack scored 50 last time he played in PL. yeah he will be ok smh

Reply #854220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt lose 2 players to college in the next 1-2 weeks, one being Griscti who has been handy with his 10 points per game.
What is the status on Rasmussen, will he play out the season before college?

Reply #854230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love your work Woj and agree with most of your comments. Just one small thing North are 3-6 not 2-7 which could make all the difference in 9 games time.

Reply #854231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for having a go, Woj.

Reply #854239 | Report this post

NBLcentralWOJ  
Years ago

^Sorry, I think I was looking at previous round for something and just saw the 2 quickly. My bad. And definitely might be crucial.

Reply #854240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The title is Forestvilles to lose

Reply #854256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville lost to Woodville after celebrating too early at half time like they had won the game already and then lost. Eagles are over-rated!

Reply #854296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woj - love the write up - I think the Flames/Warriors game will be a good tight contest but I think Warriors will win by a very small margin.

Reply #854311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel that take one player out of that Flames team and you have a team competing for the wooden spoon. They look old and no depth. Is CJ carrying an injury?

Reply #854313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a round.

Norwood falling behind then working their way back, Turnage winning the battle of the imports. Norwood sneaking home with the win. Jacobs is athletic but so is Turnage and Starling. He isn't NBL import material based on what I've seen.

Then BAM, Southern doing what Tiger teams of old did. Hustle and energy shocking and derailing the discipline and system of the Sabres, not just getting the win but doing it by 30! A very rattled and frustrated Sabres line up, including an ejection to top off their night.

Eastern continue their chaotic season with another loss. Unfortunately showing a lot less improvement than their Women. Serious issues continue there. The Eagles doing enough to win comofrtably.

North and South, the less said about that first quarter the better. But then the Rockets subbed in Williams and the whole game changed. South showing that sometimes adding pieces sends you backwards the big black hole of Hulland again proving more trouble than he's worth. He'd want to do something more if he expects an NBL team to come knocking. 14/32 may have been enough for POTW last time out, I doubt anyone was impressed with his 1/17 and 3 rebound effort tonight. Apart from Petty who left him in the game. North way too good, Dench defenseive super impressive, Williams the Key while McVeigh and Purchase and Dowdell did what they needed. Starling and Mudjrona tried but when you shoot under 20% for a half not much coming back from that. North get the win and the points split.

And lastly Centrals v West. Great game lots of highlights. The Lions blew the game out early and while West tried to get back in it, it was just too big a margin. Humphries again impressive all over the court with so much energy from the rest of the team. Lions go 2/0 v Bearcats for the season.

Reply #854820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can a 7 footer in this league only get 3 rebounds in 30 minutes?

Reply #854822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petty needs to go ASAP. No idea whatsoever.

Reply #854844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ladder is starting to look interesting with one game between 4th and 9th

Reply #854845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petty needs to go , the line for nbl1 coaches is very very short

Thankless task thanks to you blokes

Reply #854846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North should go undefeated from now. Too many options.

Top 5 will be Sturt, Forestville, Southern, North and the 5th spot remains open. Woodville right now look most likely with the split over Norwood. South look done now. Centrals and West will depend on the efforts of a few getting them over the line. I think Woodville will sneak in raising some questions for some coaches and their budgets, one in particular.

In the women's Southern now set up as small favorites ahead of Sturt. South, North and Forestville should make up the balance of the Final 5. West don't appear to have enough with injuries hurting them and Norwood's chase to date. Look for Eastern to cause an upset or two but it's a little too late for them to make a finals run.

Reply #854852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North came up against an undermanned South. Can't see them going undefeated for rest of season but chances of making finals have improved with wins over Norwood and South

Reply #854853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Undermanned South? Haha wow! 2 NBL star recruits and arguably Starling the best player in the comp doesn't sound undermanned to me.

Reply #854860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is happening at Mavs? There must be a reason why they have gone from bad to something rarely seen in the mens comp getting flogged by 40 plus each week with teams playing their bench after halftime! The team lineup changes weekly and they are struggling to field a reserves team.

Reply #854861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#822 how does a 7 footer go 1/17 from the field in this league?

Reply #854862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South no Johns or Hoppo!!

You can have a bad shooting night but not rebounding. Thats just heart and effort

Reply #854873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At 7 foot, get under the ring and dunk the shit out of it!! It can't be that hard but to shoot 5% come on

Reply #854876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are on here regularly making the same comments on the same issue in a roundabout way.
You are either a local basketball fan who has genuine concern for the Mavs, or you are a facetious, snide, smartarsed little Schmuck who is trying to consistently stir shit and undermine the club.
I'll give you the benefit of doubt.
The facts are the Men’s team is struggling at this point in time, as happens in any sport in any league around the world.
It’s a young team with a young leadership group in a strong competition. Injuries and health have tested depth.
The team isn’t starting games strongly, so pressure is on trying to chase down opposition scores, some good individual defence but the team defence needs work.
No one is hiding from the facts.
When teams are under the pump, players can be self focused trying to justify their spot, play for a handful of stats and play safe, which hurts team goals.
Geographically it can be a 2hr+ round trip for some, 3-4 times a week, no one could deny that’s a big commitment, being a country based club Mavs don’t have the advantage of Metro clubs who are in closer proximity.
Not excuses, but some reasons that all put together can be significant hurdles for the club to overcome.
There is core group of Guys there, let by a great basketball mind in Rojo that will stick together and see it right.
What’s your alternative? Wind the club down? Eastern Mavericks supports a huge region, gives great opportunities to historical hotbeds of basketball talent like Murray Bridge, Eastern Hills, Mt Gambier, Naracoorte etc.
There are too many great people at the club for it not to work, from the President down. The club is transparent and isn’t hiding from the issues at hand.
So by all means, keep sinking your boot into the club when it’s a bit vulnerable, but it’s more of a reflection on who YOU are, not the Eastern Mavericks Basketball Club.

Reply #854878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Rojo

Reply #854879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least he wasn't Owen 17.

Reply #854881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the sound of winding the club down to be honest.

Reply #854882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern just go out and buy a team like North have done

Reply #854883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No excuses!! Sounds like a lot to me. Cmon Rojo you can do better than that.

Reply #854887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ranking ladder for men's player spend

South
North
Eagles
Southern
Norwood
Central’s
Woodville
Sturt
West
Eastern

Thoughts ?

Reply #854925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd have Woodville and West higher but looks pretty close.

Reply #854930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoppo has barely been playing so is he an important out I don't think so.

Reply #854936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoppo is the definition of what's been wrong with South (minus Starling) all season. Too much ego, no action. They have good NBL1 players but due to their coach they have no reason to perform.

Reply #854940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville spend more than everyone followed by Norwood and South.

Reply #854952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ross would be the highest paid player in the league or close. Norwood are paying a mint for their two imports.

Miles above the rest:
Forestville
South

Next 4 probably pretty close:
West
Norwood
Woodville
North

A bit unknown:
Centrals
Southern

Getting great value for money:
Sturt

No one worth paying:
Eastern

Reply #854963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern would have panicked and overpaid for Wise. Humphries on very good money at Centrals, helps being mates with coach.

Reply #854975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaq also on great coin plus Diing too. Their top 3 alone would make more than most clubs.

Reply #855080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is considered great coin in this league?

Reply #855083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaq rumoured to be 12k

Reply #855097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

70-80k a season?

Reply #855098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

70 - 80K? Haha.

That's about three entire teams worth.

Reply #855104 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #855114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as those 3 teams aren't Forestville, Norwood and South

Reply #855115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think #114 is speechless seeing the $70-80k. Tell 'em they dreaming!

Reply #855116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for the views on latest standings following Rnd 10

Tigers big winners over Sturt
Norwood bounce back against Woodville
North scratch out a win against South
Centrals upset West
Forestville and Mavs keep doing what they do

Reply #855267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North "scratch out" a 22 point win?
Centrals "upset West, after beating them previously?

Reply #855269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South had a horrible first half against North and then outscored them in second half - not that convincing

Yes Centrals may have won first game but West have improved since then and tipped by some to make finals - that's why I thought was an upset

Reply #855479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you watched the south vs north game - it was convincing.

Reply #855505 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754