ME
Years ago

NBL and Stan deal apparently still on the table, 10 mill

So a new article has stated that ESPN/Foxtel and Nine/Stan are currently still bidding for the NBL with the price of 10 million being thrown about. It was 20 million apparently before.

Seeing as these articles are coming directly from talks with Kestleman it wouldn't surprise me if there was some gamesmanship being played here, leaking amounts that may not actually be offered in hopes of making the other pony up the dough.

Here is the relevant quote -

"Kestelman needs to negotiate a new broadcast deal for the next season which begins in October, with Nine Entertainment and its Stan streaming service said to be competing with Foxtel and ESPN in a deal that could be worth $10m annually. He could also join the sporting dash for private equity cash."

The article also sites new ownership deals for many of the teams and the possibility of an outside entity owning a minority stake in the league.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/larry-kestelmans-nbl-tries-to-take-commercial-leap-as-crucial-offseason-looms-for-privately-owned-league/news-story/5517650820b1c939c1de311a4502a2b3

Topic #48738 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

ESPN would be better for a number of reasons.

Reply #854680 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It all depends, if the ESPN offer is for zero than the Stan deal would be better but if they're close to the same amount avoiding locking the league away on a mickey mouse streamer no one is ever heard of is the best option. Obviously FTA much better reach than Pay TV again.

I said the last time this came up the supposed $20 million Stan Sport deal that if you're LK you've got to take that kind of money. Even though it's not a good deal for the NBL itself it would be understandable for him to do he's pumped in well over $50 million of his own money you've got to try and get something back.

Reply #854709 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Behind a paywall.

Can someone please post the entire article

Reply #854713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK said " the starting value for teams is at least $10m now, and more for a club like Sydney or Melbourne United." 100% markup eh Larry. United used to worth $10mill and the Bullets $5m9ill. Now the under performing teams are now worth $10mill. Bullshit.

Reply #854714 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ME and I did say Stan were sniffing around. Time to believe.

Reply #854726 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

avoiding locking the league away on a mickey mouse streamer no one is ever heard of is the best option.

Oh my lord, it's like explaining to my grand parents what things things are popular these days!

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t own Netflix and Stan. In Melbourne you can’t not see Stan advertising - outside flinders station they advertise Billions on a big LED, on buses and bus stops and on big banners at southern cross station they advertise Zoeys Playlist.

You arrive through Sydney airport to massive Stan billboards.

Evidently there’s a section in the market who just aren’t up with the streaming thing! Living under a rock, Jesus.

Reply #854728 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Nine Entertainment and its Stan streaming service said to be competing with Foxtel and ESPN in a deal that could be worth $10m annually"

Mhmmmmm $10mil would be fantastic- however that's substantially different from the $20mil earlier rumoured.

You want things to be on a positive trend not downwards - potentially some rethinking by broadcasters?

I think NBL wants what ALeague got in terms of a broadcaster not just paying and saying “now deliver”. They want to do what they did with the big bash and help build it and give them every opportunity to succeed.

One thing to broadcast, another thing to do everything they can to leverage the capacity they have to help build a sport.

Starts with decent money so the sport can sustainably operate, then plenty of coverage to ensure it’s not hidden away. Then it’s advertising, extra news pieces, leveraging their network stars, investing in the sport.

Reply #854731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld wants credit cause he said Stan was sniffing around before someone started this thread.... hahaha.... You really a narcissist!

Reply #854732 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" We are a small business that has had to navigate its way through a complete unknown in the middle of an absolute shitstorm with a team that works seven days per week."

lolll

Reply #854734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone explain how union got 100mill,deal,and Nbl is only getting 10-20mill.

Who tf watches union? Even in qld/nsw.

Reply #854735 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The rugby union and football deals signed recently by Stan and Ten respectively are pumped up and benefit by the Wallabies and Socceroos rights being included with Super Rugby and A-League tacked on. Unfortunately and for whatever reason the Boomers aren't regarded in the same light as a national team.

Reply #854737 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and even though LK has been involved with brokering Boomers games in the past I don't believe NBL rights include any Boomers element to it as they are held by BA.

Reply #854738 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sadly our passion is inflated in comparison with the vast majority of Australia.

Rugby Union and ALeague are still substantially more popular, even if they're struggling hard

Reply #854740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stan sports(nine) will fall after 1-2 years. They are way behind Kayo(foxtel) n Optus sport(Optus)

Reply #854741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who watches union, a league as well, no one I know ever talks about union or a league.

Reply #854742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stan are desperate, couldn't get soccer, they have to try and get some things rolling.
Stan need nbl more than nbl need Stan. I say stick with foxtel even at 15mill.

Reply #854743 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Stick with Foxtel at $15 million? You do realise the current ESPN/SBS deal is for nothing right?

Reply #854744 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Foxtel more or less ditched NBL and let ESPN pick up the pieces.

I don't really get what would change for them to not want to take on any associated cost to suddenly paying for it?

They’ve been shedding smaller sports not gaining - except for netball where they scored gov funding for it

Reply #854745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, yes it is nothing in 20/21 but the offer is now 10 mill, Stan 10-20 mill.

Reply #854747 | Report this post

LITS  
Years ago

I'd lose interest in the NBL if it went to Stan... no interest in subscribing to that.

Hope they stick to ESPN & Foxtel

Reply #854748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

May 21

Kayo(foxtel) - 1 mill subscribers / variety
Stan(9) sport - 260,000 / rugby union, tennis

Reply #854750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not 250,000, but 150,000

Reply #854751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://mumbrella.com.au/stan-sport-6-months-in-is-the-game-plan-on-track-nines-brent-williams-reports-682269

I call bs

Reply #854752 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Mhmmmmm $10mil would be fantastic- however that's substantially different from the $20mil earlier rumoured.
Was the rumour $20M annually, or just a $20M deal? They might be discussing a multi-year partnership.

Reply #854753 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Australian reporting Nine is prepared to offer $20 million annually - From January

Don't know what that would have meant money vs contra; or if it even got to a point of discussing that

Reply #854754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It comes down to value for money for consumers, and in a way Stan sport need the NBL. At the moment their products are union and a bit of tennis. Dont mind watching a bit of union if im flicking around and nothing else is on. But they need more variety to get viewers, rather than a couple of, I would describe, as mid range sports compared to AFL,Big Bash and League. I remember when Foxtel came out and was watching all sorts of things because they were just there. If half their schedule is repeats, they won't last long. People will only probably subscribe when there sports season is on and cancel till the next.
If they can get some college basketball channels and other good leagues in Europe for example, I'd certainly sign up. But won't be paying to watch the Danish Handball league or other filler sports.

Reply #854760 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

AFR reporting SBS ESPN to be expected to re-sign

Reply #854764 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's pretty rare that the NBL finds itself in the position of chooser. If there are two channels actually bidding for the NBL as opposed to courting the begging of the NBL then I say we're in a historic moment.

If there is a genuine bidding war going on, then we must surmise that ESPN is offering something somewhere in the ballpark of what Stan is offering, or that the NBL sees exposure on ESPN as potentially being more important than the money.

Either way, it's a positive place for the league to be in to have literally any kind of choice on the matter.

I also don't think the league dies in obscurity if it ends up on Stan. I'd expect the deal to include some FTA coverage as well. Ever since the NBL got that 5 year FOx Sports deal a few years back there has always been some level of FTA presence and I expect that to continue moving forward.

Decent signs for the league. it's not quite the A League deal but at least it isn't just giving away content for free.

Reply #854769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL goes off free to air TV then its a massive step backwards. I pay for Netflix and Kayo... I won't be getting another streaming service, I just wont watch it.

Reply #854772 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"LK said " the starting value for teams is at least $10m now, and more for a club like Sydney or Melbourne United." 100% markup eh Larry. United used to worth $10mill and the Bullets $5m9ill. Now the under performing teams are now worth $10mill. Bullshit"

Yeah, it's possible for "underperforming" teams to be worth more. And I am sure Larry knows more about that than some random anonymous on the internet who is pissed off for reasons that dont make sense.

I think people should take a moment to THANK Larry. If not for him, we're not talking about 10 million dollar TV deals that's for damn sure.

Reply #854773 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The problem with Stan is to access Stan Sport you have to pay $20/month for the base Stan in order to then unlock the sports package for another $10/month.

So even if you are a sports fan Stan creates a barrier in the form of forcing you to buy their general entertainment package that you may not be interested in. It's a big ask price wise for fans already subscribed to various other streamers.

Reply #854774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's only $10 a month for entry level Stan.

Reply #854775 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ok so $10+$10/month.

Reply #854777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld thinks he can do simple maths now, what a narcissist!!!LOL

;-)

Reply #854778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ESPN is gated behind the foxtel paywall? I would of thought 20 bucks for Stan is better value and bonus there is other decent movie and tv content.

Reply #854781 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I tried to post the link to the AFR article from three weeks ago but it won't let me for some reason, anyway the relevant bit:

Reply #854783 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

FMD what the hell is wrong with this board.

Reply #854784 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah I couldn't either so I gave up.

Must have a special character in the link

Reply #854785 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's not even the link, it wouldn't even let me post the line that said it's considered an expectation the NBL is going to re-sign with ESPN/SBS.

Anyway that scenario along with some money coming in is probably going to be the best of both worlds for the NBL.

Reply #854787 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Whatever ESPN must provide must be seen as worth more than 10 million a season if that's the case.

Reply #854791 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

AFR has some type of projection against copy and pasting.

Reply #854794 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ESPN is gated behind the foxtel paywall? I would of thought 20 bucks for Stan is better value and bonus there is other decent movie and tv content.

ESPN is via Kayo where you have access to hundreds of other sports across ESPN, Fox Sports and beIn.

Stan at this point in time only gets you a couple of tennis majors and local rugby union.

The value proposition for a sports fan who isn't interested in non-sports packages is far greater with Kayo than Stan.

Reply #854796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld. The new KR expert on everything. Foxtel used to charge and extra $20pm for the Sports Channel to get the NBL and no one complained. Oh plus the minimum join up fee. Nothing to see with the STAN price.

Reply #854801 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The AFR article everyone was trying to copy and paste states:

"and the NBL as expected re-signs with SBS and ESPN" dated May 31.

Reply #854802 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perthworld. The new KR expert on everything. Foxtel used to charge and extra $20pm for the Sports Channel to get the NBL and no one complained. Oh plus the minimum join up fee. Nothing to see with the STAN price.

The landscape has changed since Foxtel's distribution monopoly ended and we are discussing which streaming service would be best for the NBL, assuming the money offered for the rights are the same. The advantages of ESPN/SBS are they have various broadcast delivery methods on multiple platforms plus other relevant content for the armchair sportsmen which is the target market to increase viewership. Stan does not and is new to sports. Sure if the money is higher go with Stan otherwise there is no advantage of switching.

Reply #854803 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shortcut link to AFR article:

https://bit.ly/2U9oJrk

Reply #854804 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

or Google the title and then click the link via the search engine for no paywall:

Too many players, not enough sport: 'seminal' moment for streaming war

Reply #854805 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL have done a stellar job in making all games available and free via SBS On Demand and twitch along with all games on TV. It was once a dream to have all games on - used to look at the Foxtel magazine for all the 36ers games, count them and highlight them. It was like living in analogue times with physical books for street maps and yellow pages/white pages.

Weird to even contemplate not being able to watch all games wherever whenever.

We do have to be honest with the state of play though.

The NBL attracts really low TV ratings. ALeague at its worst and heavily chastised might be similar to decent NBL ratings.

We have seen amazing growth crowds wise - I think this might be attributed to going at that family market, taking away from the dwindling big bash, aleague. These people aren't watching NBL on TV though and they’re certainly not seeking it out via an almost unwatched network in Viceland and streaming service OnDemand.

I think this is a reflection that people watching broadcasts are largely religious NBL followers - chances are they’re the ones that will follow the NBL anywhere to the extent it is easily accessible.

Given the glut of sports on Fox/ESPN/Kayo, it seems like sports fiends are not choosing the NBL to watch when given the option.

There doesn’t seem to be the kind of ratings growth to suggest casual viewers are tuning in, or that being on Kayo/Fox provides specific market reach that is being captured and utilised.

It puts the NBL between a rock and a hard place. Add that to dwindling FTA ratings - people aren’t watching TV like they used to, they’re flocking to streaming. But streaming isn’t just Netflix and Stan anymore. Fox have come in with Binge/Kayo; there’s Amazon Prime; there’s Paramount+ coming, there’s Disney+ recently entering. There’s Optus sports and then there are league passes. It’s fractured and overwhelmed with options with limited money people will spend on streaming.

Finally, there’s an element of shedding by FTA networks and Fox of sports expenditure that’s not the big 4 (AFL, NRL, Cricket, Oz Open). Netball got lucky with Fox being pursued through gov funding.

In my view, a best possible, realistic but not highly likely outcome, would be a few afternoon weekend games on an FTA Network, a streaming service carrying all games that has a significant subscriber base but not too much sport for basketball to get lost in, an investment strategy by the network to see the league grow and succeed and a decent financial arrangement over a significant period (lasting 4-5 years) that can see the NBL achieve stability and a semblance of sustainability.

Nine/Stan could provide that, maybe - but they would have to be seriously game to put the effort in.

SBS/ESPN I don’t think will provide a path to achieve unlocking the casual viewer market, it hasn’t thus far I don’t see that changing. It doesn’t seem to be driving an increase in value for NBL tv rights, the only thing that is seems to be the introduction of more sports streaming platforms trying to gain content. That won’t last IMO.

Reply #854900 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL have done a stellar job in making all games available and free via SBS On Demand and twitch along with all games on TV. It was once a dream to have all games on - used to look at the Foxtel magazine for all the 36ers games, count them and highlight them.

Ewww, I'm so glad we're out of that stone age era of there only being two televised games per week.

The worst part about checking the new TV guide for your team's games back then was knowing ahead of time Fox Sports was basically Sydney Kings TV due to their severely restrictive budget for outside broadcast van services.

Reply #855607 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754