Jimmer Fredette
Years ago

Should Jimmer go to NBL?

Chinese league is going w only locals next season n Jimmer Fredette has tweeted about his options being NBA EuroLeague and NBL. Not sure NBL could afford him and if he'd be worth it but who knows.

Topic #48740 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone tell me his history and why he's so popular?

Reply #854718 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Fredette is/was on big money in China one of those rare players a few years ago I read was earning more in China than the vets min in the NBA. Hence why he wasn't trying to get back into the NBA too hard.

That was only 3-4 years ago if he's still a gun player over there he would be well out of an NBL team's price range.

Reply #854724 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Scoring machine in college with BYU, who attained cult-like status with his shooting. Love the Jimmer.

Reply #854725 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I often wondered why he didn't make it in the NBA. He has a sweet stroke, big enough to get his shot off has a big following.

There's even a documentary about his journey.

Would love to see him in the NBL.

Reply #854727 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bring Jimmertime to the NBL

Reply #854729 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#JimmerTime

Reply #854730 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Was on millions in China. Only a few clubs could afford him and he mightn't actually be that good in the NBL.

Reply #854739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was Stephen Curry/Trae Young like in college. Of course the Sacramento curse struck is my explanation, still thought he could have made is a shooter off the bench.
Would be interesting to see what his personality is like, treated like Jesus in college and China. In that stage between being a bust and washed up. Would be good with a big non shooting point guard, but think only the big markets would attract him.
On a separate topic, whatever happened to Plumlee? Did he stick around here or gone elsewhere? Would it be worth the investment if Sixers can get him cheap, pair him with Jimmer and get best value for money if we're back to 3 imports, assuming Humphries is gone.

Reply #854755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a big signing for Tassie, good media and he'd likely be given keys to offence. If they somehow got Dellie it would be perfect match!

Reply #854757 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

With China out of the picture you have to ask whether an NBA team or European team are going to be throwing the big bucks at him.

Let's say probably not NBA, would a European team do so?

Also have to consider the COVID situation as well. A lot of players making choices now they wouldn't otherwise make just based on that. The NBL ran the season (mostly) without a hitch here whereas the European leagues have had issues.

If it comes down to needing a consistent place to play where he can stay in the game and keep his career momentum from beyond the coming season, the NBL might be just the place.

Reply #854761 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

He'd kill it here - similar to Tyler Harvey role with Illawarra. No question he’d lead the league in scoring.

Reply #854762 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Loved Jimmer in college, tuning in to Sportscentre (when it was a thing) for his highlights was a must-see.

Unfortunately he didn't last that long in the NBA as his ball-dominant shoot-first style +didn’t translate well to teams playing him at the 1 needing him to distribute and create for others + was a defensive negative.

Would be rapt to see him in the NBL, easily a dude I’d pay to see live. Could envisage him being of value to teams for sure.

Reply #854776 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He'd kill it here - similar to Tyler Harvey role with Illawarra. No question he'd lead the league in scoring.

Much better player than Tyler Harvey, think Broekhoff with a scorers mentality.

Reply #854786 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

He's nothing like Broekhoff. He plays at pace, with a handle and can shoot off the dribble at range. The only thing they have in common is the shoot the piss out of it.

Reply #854799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth can afford him with their other 3 imports and a naturalised Cotton. Oh and a NS

Reply #854800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Perth have never wanted (or needed) a NS but you feel the need to add it into another one of your sook posts is laughable. Jimmer wouldn't play within their system anyway but he'd be great for Cairns, if only to pull some crowds

Reply #854806 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Never seen him play but based on his recent Euroleague and Chinese stats, he'd probably lead NBL in scoring or come very close. Can obviously still shoot the rock.

Reply #854807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sook posts. Hilarious.

Reply #854810 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Either or, it's great to see somebody with a profile publicly saying he's interested in the NBL.

And, as others have mentioned, with Covid a few people are looking at Australia with more interest.

Reply #854819 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Jimmer was an absolute disaster on defense in EuroLeague. If you watched his team's (Panathinaikos) EuroLeague games, you could see he was driving their coach Rick Pitino nuts with his horrible defense.

On offense, he was very deadly if he got open jump shots from screens and picks, but other than that, all he could really do was handle the ball. He was too small and too lacking athletically to be able to much other than shoot jumpers. But he can knock those down from anywhere.

All in all, he was considered the worst signing of that offseason, based on how much he was making. So if he want to sign back in the EuroLeague, I am pretty sure it would be for less than he got with Panathinaikos. Because EuroLeague teams saw him already, and he wasn't near to the level of a top earner there.

If an NBL team signed him, they would just have to accept that he can't play a lick of defense and that he is going to chuck long 3 pointers like crazy. He can definitely light it up scoring wise though, if a team sets a lot of screens and picks for him.

Reply #854821 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So he is another John Roberson type?

Would anyone want him returning to the league?

I think in the right team he would be a nightmare

Reply #854827 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Best player style comparison for NBL is Rotnei Clarke, but a much better version.

Reply #854830 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think he's lucky to have played in China - get paid loads to shoot the ball loads and defence not really needed for him against the level of opposition in the CBA.

He isn’t going to get that sort of money to play crap D in the EL or NBA anymore.

Might be worth taking a pay cut into nbl territory?

Reply #854832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he plays anywhere it will be for Illawarra.
He's apparently close with Goorjian.
They would need to have a some stud defenders covering up for his deficiencies... he’s a turnstile on that end.

Reply #854840 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is the thing - I think a lot of Americans think they can just rockup to the NBL and own the joint.

I don't really know why, but I do feel like we are increasingly see a revolving door of imports - is it bad selection? Is it we can’t afford imports these days that can get the job done?

Seem to get imports with "experience" that are a step too slow and look way past it, or imports that can’t defend and look like witches hats, or imports that do stupid things out of frustration because they can’t handle NBL physicality.

Someone like jimmer could easily look really bad in the NBL, not for the shooting aspect, but for everything else

Reply #854841 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Of course Adelaide have been particularly bad/struggled in this area of things, understanding there are great imports still: Cotton, Law, Ware etc

Reply #854842 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hopefully someone gets him for the entertainment value alone.

CBA dropping imports is a nice advantage for the NBL.

Reply #854847 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not so sure it will be to the NBL's benefit those guys generally speaking are usually out of NBL teams price range, EuroLeague and top leagues in Europe will benefit for sure.

We rarely have imports come from the top league in China to the NBL the ones we get from China are often from China's second-tier league (also called the NBL) like Lamar Patterson, Tony Mitchell etc.

Reply #854848 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"We rarely have imports come from the top league in China to the NBL the ones we get from China are often from China's second-tier league (also called the NBL) like Lamar Patterson, Tony Mitchell etc.

"

The reason why this is different is because CBA no longer has imports for coming season. It really wouldn't surprise me if we end up picking up some real top notch imports next season just out of being in a place where Covid hasnt totally ruined everything

Reply #854865 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The reason why this is different is because CBA no longer has imports for coming season.

Did you read the first part of my post?

It will benefit the NBL indirectly in that the CBA being the highest paying league in the world outside the NBA will now see those imports go to the EuroLeague, other top leagues in Europe etc. which in turn will push those regular imports down a level and some of that will filter down to our NBL.

Reply #854866 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Trickle down economics hey?

Reply #854867 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd argue we can get those CBA imports just because we have a league that has been proven to run reasonably well through the pandemic.

Reply #854875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the league should help pay for his salary as part of a Big Stars program. The social media clicks might help pay for it.

Reply #854880 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

"Did you read the first part of my post?

It will benefit the NBL indirectly in that the CBA being the highest paying league in the world outside the NBA will now see those imports go to the EuroLeague, other top leagues in Europe etc. which in turn will push those regular imports down a level and some of that will filter down to our NBL."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

CBA isn't the highest paying leaguer in the world outside of the NBA. Not even close. There max contract for a domestic player is $940,000 per season and their max contract an American player is $5,000,000. These are the amounts in gross terms.

So there max contracts are about half of what the biggest deals in EuroLeague are.

Also, the average budget for CBA teams is around $2 million. The average budget of a EuroLeague team is well over $20 million. The secondary European leagues like EuroCup and FIBA Champions League also have higher budgets overall and on average.

And teams regular teams in EuroCup like Virtus Bologna, Malaga, Valencia, UNICS Kazan, Khimky, Lokomotiv Kuban, etc. with budgets of $15 million to $20 million a year, or higher.

Even in FIBA Champions League, that some people consider a third level European league, there are numerous clubs with budgets around $12 million to $15 million a year, like Brose, AEK, Zaragoza, Galatasarray, Burgos, Tenerife, SIG, Hapoel Jerusalem, Turk Telekom.

All 3 of the main European leagues have much higher pay levels than the CBA does.

Reply #855137 | Report this post

Perfweird  
Years ago

Broekhoff Is hopeless...

Reply #855389 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754