Shaq
Years ago

Sydney Kings sign Chase Buford as head coach

Andrew Bogut has tweeted that it's a done deal. Any ideas who it might be?

Topic #48769 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nielsen or his mate collins from gsw

Reply #855866 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Nielsen?
Anthony Stewart?

No idea.

Reply #855867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neilsen and Shane Heal working for the same boss , what could possibly go wrong !!!!

Reply #855869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Collins left gsw assistant 3 weeks ago for hc job.
Friends with Bogut.

Reply #855871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neilson said no a few weeks ago, elected to stay and work with pop. It's certainly an American.

Reply #855872 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sounds like it's going to be Matt Nielsen.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/boomers-assistant-matt-nielsen-a-candidate-to-coach-the-sydney-kings/news-story/484adc7b9bdb286f2c53e249f3f9572e

Reply #855873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/31584971/assistant-coach-jarron-collins-moving-golden-state-warriors-eyes-head-coaching-job

Reply #855874 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Chris Kenny?

Reply #855883 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Sounds like it's going to be Matt Nielsen."

I have nfi, but I'd be surprised.

Nielsen was supposedly a lock for the role two years ago.
But something changed and they went for Bill Beaver. With Nielsen returning to the Spurs organisation.
Whether he turned down Sydney, or vice versa, he's now been moved up to Head Coach of the Spurs' G-League program. Clearly he is well regarded there, and who knows possibly being groomed for bigger things.

Reply #855896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamie Petty should be available soon

Reply #855897 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

What about Ricky Stewart? He has a high opinion of other sports, he could work his way up to a Netball gig?

Reply #855899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the title is wrong again. It should read no kings coach signed yet.

Reply #855900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach has been signed but no announcement.

Reply #855906 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nielsen?
Anthony Stewart?

Haha, underrated comment.

Reply #855912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt it will be Nielsen. Not enough senior HC experience to take over the KINGS. It's about time the KINGS got is right in so many departments.

Reply #855944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings medical and trainers are first class, the doctor has been there for decades. Stop talking shit if you don't know what you’re talking about. The kings are a very well run organisation, even better now Smith is there, yes Weaver wanting to return home didn’t help but otherwise there in very good hands.

Reply #855948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, the doctor and trainers have been there for ages, yet they keep on getting injuries. Must be world class.

And having Smith and Bogut at the helm speaks volumes of their culture.

Reply #855949 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Kings are about to sign their fourth head coach in four seasons, that doesn't suggest the club is in very good hands.

Reply #855951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you a total fuck wit, every team has injuries badly this season, how Perth travelling with injuries. Yes this will be their fourth coach, Gaze was there for three seasons though. Cairns are onto their third in fourth season. It happens.

Reply #855955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Zodiac, you skip his posts

Reply #855958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SnC person clueless. Doc great. No LL there to oversee the ship As Zodiac said 4 in 4 and Gaze was there for 2 seasons too long. Everyone knows he couldn't coach seabl let alone nbl. 3 seasons wasted. Kings haven't succeeded since their return.

Reply #855971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put down the pipe dude

Reply #855973 | Report this post

qeezy  
Years ago

Reply #855980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO pipe needed dude. Just the facts. Don't avoid the truth. Are you saying Gaze can coach?

Reply #855992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings might have changed a few coaches but, Didi and Tate to nba and Moller to Germany in Smith time in charge.

Reply #856025 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

It's possible that Moller is off to Deutschland because they wouldn't play him enough....or maybe he just wanted a change of environment.

If you're suggesting Moller took giant leaps in progress over the past two seasons you're being generous. He was a great defender in isolation when in Melbourne, something Sydney failed to capitalise on. His three point shot made steady improvement, as you'd expect with the time permitted to get reps in but this would have occurred wherever he was due to his work ethic.

As for Didi, if his play over the past two seasons warranted a call up to the NBA then I'm expecting Travers, Pinder & Peatling to be on a plane tomorrow. Tate is a monster who elevated the level of play in Sydney, not vice-versa. Kudos for them improving his range but that level of improvement and consistency doesn't happen over four/five months - that's gradual and was simply a perfect storm.

Never forget, Sydney are the club that wouldn't play the likes of Tom Wilson and the game is poorer for it.

Reply #856028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didi was always in the nba.

Reply #856032 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Chase Buford announced.

Reply #856142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, they chose a guy who is insane. Fits perfectly with smith n Bogut who are also bonkers.

Reply #856143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVtdvq7xMXY

Reply #856145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

32y.o umm ok

Reply #856146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"32y.o umm ok"

2 words - Sean McVay

Reply #856156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As if they didn't have him lined up before Forde was shown the door.

Reply #856158 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

How much salary of the coach in nbl? Looks the news coach of Sydney king is expensive..

Reply #856167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel asthough something dodgy is going on at Sydney.

Reply #856168 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Where's the moron that was telling me Shane Heal was a done deal?

Reply #856170 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Son of the Spurs CEO. Has been coaching the Bucks' G-League team.

Reply #856171 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Who knows, without knowing too much about the guy, or what he's being paid, maybe this is a great system?

Pick a guy who's on his way up, HC'ing in the G-League, looking for a stepping-stone to the NBA.
Ok, so he's never going to be here long-term, but maybe long enough?

Reply #856172 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kings just had to announce it tonight, didn't they?

Reply #856173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld doesn't seem to be able to process more than one bit of NBL information at a time.

Reply #856175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL needs Sydney to be strong, say it all the time big market with Melbourne Perth Brisbane and Adelaide, it's how the dollar’s work. Hopefully it’s not just a one hit wonder

Reply #856176 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Where's the moron that was telling me Shane Heal was a done deal?

Watch Heal hover around Smith if Buford doesn't deliver.

Reply #856179 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

So what exactly did Forde do wrong when you consider the injury toll?

I don't really understand this. Are there not decent Australian coaches who could take this roll? I'm sure there is.

It strikes me as a bit of a vanity signing. Maybe along the lines of:

"Hey look at us, we got to the son of a big name executive"

Look, I'll accept the flack if i haven't researched this guy properly, but why is a 32 year old American the best choice for Sydney?

I don't really want to see the NBL go down the path of ignoring it's homegrown coaches... I'm not saying its happening, but with Henry last year and now Buford, it seems to be slightly creeping in that NBL clubs will look to America more and more now. Could be wrong about that and then it's subjective as to if it's a bad thing or not, but even from a performance perspective, we don't really see people who don't know the NBL game so that well do we?

Reply #856434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's only because smith n bogus are in charge.
If it was Perth...

Reply #856435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buford will be a lot more like Weaver, they will play a high tempo fast pace game. Smith wants high entertainment, full stands.

Reply #856442 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

My initial reaction was "who?" and then it still is... I hope that single youtube highlight isn't indicative of who he is in general, but you never know, he could be the worst parts of Weaver and Gaze combined and they will get the wooden spoon next season?

Reply #856445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The proof will be what Forde can do in Cairns if that's where he ends up. Kelly was lucky to have a great team. One of the cogs left and the Taipans failed.

Reply #856451 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754