Curtley
Years ago

Isaac Humphries and Ryan Broekhoff withdraw from Olympics

According to Olgun, Humphries has pulled the pin due to injury, no word on why Broekhoff has pulled out.

With these two guys pulling out, it gives the likes of Goulding and Reath a better look at the 12 man squad. With Box Hill Benny also expected to pull the pin, the 19 man squad is down to 16.

Aron Baynes,
Xavier Cooks,
Mitchell Creek,
Matthew Dellavedova,
Dante Exum,
Josh Giddey,
Chris Goulding,
Josh Green,
Joe Ingles,
Nick Kay,
Jock Landale,
Patty Mills,
Brock Motum,
Duop Reath,
Nathan Sobey,
Matisse Thybulle.

Topic #48772 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

Likely both told they probs weren't going to make the cut or only have a limited role at best, and have pulled the plug to protect their 'brand' and next contracts :)

Reply #856050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphris pulled out because of injury

Reply #856051 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

We aren't short on talent in Broekhoff position so no worries there.
Humphries is a big out though.

I'm leaving Simmons out until we know he is in.

Dellavedova , Exum
Mills, Goulding, Green
Ingles, Thybulle
Landale, Motum, Kay
Baynes, Reath.

Sobey, Giddey, Cooks and Creek just miss out imo.

Landale can slide to 5 spot with Motum alongside side him at times.

Reply #856053 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Dellavedova , Exum
Mills, Goulding, Green
Ingles, Thybulle
Landale, Motum, Kay
Baynes, Reath."

I'd take Cooks instead of Kay just to have some length and athleticism and a bit of an ability to switch. It's still a pretty formidable looking team. If Simmons somehow found his way back in I'd take out Cooks and move Landale to the bench. I feel like the longer it takes to get confirmation from Ben the more likely it is that his decision is being turned around.

Reply #856054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think both Motum n Kay.

It’s Motum n cooks or Kay n cooks.
Cooks being able to guard 3 man or even 2 man will get him the nod.

The toss up is green or creek.

Reply #856055 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

In a toss up between Green or Creek I think Green will win

Reply #856056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks has to make it, he can push the ball, handle the ball, defend smaller players and the only athlete amongst the other 4s.

Reply #856057 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Motum or Kay, not both
Cooks or Creek, not both

For balance.

Humphries big out, Reath likely now.

Guards are the interesting one for me. Sobey will probably miss. Not sure about the rest.

Reply #856058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek shouldn't be selected at all.

Reply #856059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Broekhoff's child or wife ill? Perhaps it's too risky for him due to covid?

Reply #856060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has a condition and so for him to leave with a young child would be ultra tough.
They probably gave him a proba iktt of making the team and so he didn't travel knowing the odds were not good.

Reply #856061 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Ah Ben, there's always one...I’m not going to profess to know how Broekhoff thinks but I’d place a decent wad on him not giving a rats about his brand. Back in your box Benny boy.

Reply #856062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly 1
Mills 2-1
Exum 1-2-3
Goulding 2
Thybulle 2-3
Green 2-3 or creek 3
Ingles 3-2-1
Cooks 4-3
Motum 4 or Kay 4
Landale 4-5
Reath 5-4
Baynes 5

Simmons coming in would push out Motum, Kay, cooks, green, creek or Exum

Reply #856063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay at 6'8 probably gets cut as Motum can playn4th C at 6’10

Reply #856066 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

As per news.com.au
"Boomers sharpshooter Ryan Broekhoff has pulled of Australia's Olympic campaign as he steps away to deal with mental health issues."

Doesn't help with the online trolls? Does it? Simmons is another one likely struggling. At least Ryan has said that he is struggling.

Reply #856067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly, exum
Mills, Goulding
Ingles, thybulle
Kay, creek
Baynes, jock

10 man locks and player rotation

Reply #856068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan has alot on his plate, best of luck rowdy.

Reply #856069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Broekhoff get trolled online? He didn't play great this season but he has largely flown under the radar.

Reply #856070 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

" Creek shouldn't be selected at all"

Why?

Reply #856071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He bashed his missus.

Reply #856074 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Did he?

Reply #856077 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Wow. Okay. People dont even have to be convicted of things and now they're stated as undeniable fact. The charges were dropped. He may have done it, he may not have. We will never know. Anyone can accuse anyone of anything.

Reply #856079 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I wish Broekhoff good luck hope he sticks in the NBL next season and finds his form but his mental health is more important.

Reply #856084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"People dont even have to be convicted of things and now they're stated as undeniable fact. "

How are those two things related? I believe the victim's family statement and its disappointing that BA chose to stick its head in the sand on this issue. I won't be supporting an Aussie team that has a wife-beater on it.

Reply #856086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't know Creek and the girl in question were married

Reply #856088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes because that's the obvious crux of the issue.

Reply #856089 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If the statement that's going around today is true, how on earth were charges dropped and how did the BA investigation come to nothing?

Reply #856090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek has threatened defamation against the victim. After today's statement let him put his money where his mouth is. I bet he's scared of the evidence they have coming to light.

Reply #856093 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Can someone link/paste the statement? Just did a quick google search and couldn't find anything.

Cheers

Reply #856099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its in the other Creek thread, which is now locked.

Reply #856101 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I really wanted Humphries to make it. I think now we have to take Reath.

I've got 11.

Delly / Exum
Mills / Goulding
Ingles / Thybulle
Landale / Motum / Cooks
Baynes / Reath

The last spot needs to be a backcourt player between Giddey, Green and Sobey. It really comes down to what the coaching staff want more. Someone with a bit more experience? Take Sobey. Or if they think this position wont play much and want a young fella, which of Green or Giddey they take might come down to whether they think a wing or another ball handler insurance is more important.

Kay is the toughest out, but as has been mentioned its hard to take both him and Motum and Brock has been in great form of late.

If Simmons does play, you could either go small and cut Reath or just leave off whichever of those 3 guards I had as the 12th spot.

Reply #856102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greens atheleticm + defense will get him ahead of Giddey who is solely a distributor atm and Sobey would be seldom used anyway as third/4th cg. Green for me.

Reply #856103 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I would take Green. He can play the 2/3, excellent defender, handy shot maker potentially, run the floor.

Reply #856104 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Humphries still injured?
Amy rumours on if he will stay with Sixers?

Reply #856127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United when Landale goes

Reply #856128 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I cannot see/ find any Mitch Creek report or statement.

Reply #856129 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

We're really lacking shooting from the guards - Delly & Exum won’t be full of confidence, something Patty and Goulding can lend them though. Joe just will be taking a lot of threes by the look of it, as will Landale.

If Thybulle doesn’t go, you’d think Cooks becomes the backup three and they can take both Kay and Motum.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sobey forces his way onto the final team. If he can shoot it well in camp, he could potentially push Goulding out.

Reply #856132 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I cannot see/ find any Mitch Creek report or statement.
There was a Facebook post by the father, going into the events and showing photos of the injury. A link was posted in the Creek thread, but it and the entire conversation has been removed because Australian defamation law is horrible.

Reply #856135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey ahead of Goulding, lol.

Reply #856140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If the statement that's going around today is true, how on earth were charges dropped."

Police didn't have enough evidence so didn't proceed. A review of that decision took place and was found to be correct.

Reply #856144 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The statement from today says there is video footage of the incident.

Reply #856147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the glove don't fit, you gotta acquit!!!

Reply #856153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Police didn't have enough evidence so didn't proceed. A review of that decision took place and was found to be correct."

Oh so the police reviewed the police and found that the police did good police? Gotcha.

Reply #856157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think lawyers in the public prosecution department would have done that genius!

Reply #856159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we keep this on topic, you want to talk about Creek go to his thread.

Reply #856160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think lawyers in the public prosecution department would have done that genius!"

Oh dear.

Reply #856162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look at the above picture and still support Creek being on the Boomers then you're just as bad as him.

Reply #856164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wtf? Why was the picture removed?

Reply #856165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sexual assault and domestic violence will never go away as long as blokes continue to pretend the issue doesn't exist, or they victim blame, or they look for technicalities why it can't be discussed, or they want to keep their idols up on a pedestal. It's absolutely pathetic.

Reply #856174 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm kinda bummed that these two pulled out as I think they had a lot personally to prove.

We had Broekhoff that missed the WC and we looked like we were missing his impact coming off the bench and this was his chance to prove it.

Humphries was given opportunities really early in his career to represent Australia and was probably picked way too early (think of the games vs China) but he has developed as he has gotten older and you have to look back and think those early games where he didn't deserve to be selected can help him today. He's a much better player than I thought he'd become and I think he'd be really valuable.

As much as I'd love to see Green and Giddey make this team I think we actually need a player like Dave Barlow, someone with a lot of experience playing for the national team, happy to play his role and his outside shooting has been great and we need players that will stretch the floor as this team is greatly lacking in that department and sadly Broekhoff isn't an option.

Reply #856311 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754