Nbl1CentralWoj
Years ago

Nbl1 Central Week 11 preview

Forestville vs Norwood
Should be a good game, Forestville looking to lock in a top 3 spot and Norwood hoping to stay in reach of top 5 come finals time. Both aren't particularly deep although Norwood do have a few youngsters back playing minutes and Moses was probably the spark for them last week to get over the line. Green will have his hands full against Brine and Mays. Conversely, who matches up against Turnage, can take Brine and Mays outside and would overpower Rios inside. Might be a good time for Andy to try a zone and see if Flames can shoot their way out of it. Got Eagles in double digits for this.

South vs Eastern
Sounds like we won't get Big Rig vs Starling II. No clue what's happening with Mavs personell and apparently Starling is probably going to miss most of season if he has broken wrist as reported. Will Hulland bounce back from maybe worst game of career, have Panthers given up hope, especially with Alex out. But Eastern sounds like they have there own problems player wise. Either way it's not going to be pretty to watch. Surely if Eastern get this, the coach has to resign. With Mudronja and Hulland and others they should cruise, but who knows.

West vs Southern
1st encounter West stole the game in final quarter. Southern have been remarkably consistent and took down undefeated Sturt last week. West took it up to a couple of top teams before last week's 1st quarter massacre at the hands of Centrals, 27-5 the quarter time score. Would have thought some experienced players could have stopped bleeding, but watching a few minutes they were simply handing the ball to the lions and not getting back on defence. Talking of experience, Spuds 300th. Say what you like, that's a massive achievement so congratulations. But tigers should take this one.

Sturt vs Centrals
Hiccup last week and would imagine Rigoni isn't pushing any emergency buttons yet. Were bound to lose at some stage, best it's in middle of season, not finals. Spoke about Centrals win last week, more a case of West being dreadful than Lions dominant. Expect Sturt to bounce back comfortably, 20 plus.

Woodville vs North
Here we go. Another tag team by North with Puchase Tassie bound. Simply outclassed South last week, McVeigh and Dech fitting in well. They can't afford any slipups the rest of season though, losing a couple may just put them out of reach of 5. A lot of people were saying it was Woodvilles best chance in years, but losing here drops them out of discussion. Woodville looked completely lost on both ends last week against Norwood in final minutes. Williams for North was excellent last week, can't see a matchup that can stop him. Would assume Dech goes to Jacobs to start, bit of personal pride taking on an NBA player.Jacobs had better put up or shut up, imo I don't even rank him in all star 5 given the way season has gone. If there was ever a time he needs to go out and dominate, this is the game. Early tip for me is Scotty to start in the Whitmore Zone, the one with more holes than Swiss cheese. Unless it's a blowout and he's rested, another prediction is McVeigh to go for 40. Obviously, North for me.

Topic #48773 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petty v Rojo, I tip Rojo

Reply #856064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not even petty could lose this... could he?

Reply #856065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question is who is going to get more T's - Petty or Rojo?

Reply #856072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rojo's a bum. He get's talked up as this great coach. smh

Reply #856075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville haven't played zone all year , catch up

Reply #856083 | Report this post

NBL1 OG  
Years ago

Great write up Woj.

I expect North vs Woodville to be a bit closer than you have it, McVeigh didn't look great last week and Woodville have the size to compete with him. I think that'll be a 50/50 game - North were OK last week but only for 1 half. Much tougher assignment this week.

I do expect Norwood with Green back and some kids in the lineup to push Forestville and keep it within single digits.

West to take it up to Southern but just fall short.

Centrals in the upset of the round to have too much athletic ability for Sturt whose second half of the season will be much tougher than the first.

South to beat Mavs, Starling or not. Against any other team this could be a danger game for South but will just have too much on court talent for the Mavs, even if it's an even battle on the benches.

Reply #856087 | Report this post

Htf  
Years ago

083 true, but Woj wouldn't know that, because his expert knowledge comes from box scores.

Reply #856139 | Report this post

NBL1CentralWoj  
Years ago

Awww. Write up the previews yourself. Would love to have time to watch every minute of every game, but doing this voluntarily. And sorry I use those pesky box scores that show the facts. And missed where I said Woodville played a lot of zone this year, the last season they definitely did to no effect.
So challenge is there, write up the previews etc yourself. But you won't. Maybe write an essay how Jacobs is going to win NBL MVP next season with Sixers.
Sheesh, can't please everyone FFS, but at least keep your whinging to yourself or contribute something meaningful.

Reply #856151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woj, you clearly have sore feelings towards Woodville and especially their coach , did he cut you during his under 20 state stint ,

Reply #856166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha he'd have to be able to dribble to go to a State trial. He also seems to have it in for Petty. Bit harsh from someone involved in South home games just a couple of years ago. Upset Al didn't keep the job maybe?

Reply #856169 | Report this post

NBL1CentralWoj  
Years ago

Yeah, so Petty and Whitmore are doing fantastic jobs and I should be praising them? I have it in for them? Look at their records.
Bro, if you're sticking up for Petty that's hilarious. We could have a poll and only an idiot would support him. Case in point, you.

Reply #856192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville played zone against Norwood on the weekend...

Reply #856286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this even a topic. It will always turn into a bitch fest from a competition that is shit.

Reply #856291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woj and OG are both a good read even if I disagree with some takes it's good to hear others thoughts on the league. Keep it up.

Reply #856314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the clear dislike of 2 coaches that gets boring , right ups are good

Have a look at the ladder , it’s a very even season ,

Reply #856321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone has personal likes and dislikes, I think over half the leagues coaches cop it on here at some point or another. I doubt they take it to heart I just think it's good there is interest in the league.

My tips
Forestville by 5 in a tight one.
West over Southern in Spuds 300th
South to quieten the haters with a big win
Woodville to beat North to show continuity > talent and that Whitmore is one of the smarter coaches in the league
Sturt to get back on track over Centrals.

Reply #856329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he dislikes them, chances are he doesn't even know them. He just writes like he's an ESPN journo with 30 years in the game. Problem is he's a nobody with 2 years experience in the league as a low level club volunteer who has been propeeled up because he says yes to doing crappy jobs no one else wants to do for nothing.

He feels like that entitles him to say things like a coach should be sacked.

Things he'd never say to Petty or Whitmore's face.

It's just sad really.

Reply #856363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is this bloke ?

Reply #856376 | Report this post

Juno  
Years ago

If Petty doesn't play Andy Barton 20 mins tonight it will show us something. Arguably leagues best shooter just sitting there wasting away and the team needs a floor spacer!

Reply #856440 | Report this post

NBL1CentralWoj  
Years ago

Wow, definitely ruffled a few feathers. Yep, been caught out, I work in canteen at Wayville dreaming of the day ESPN gives me my own podcast. I was on the cusp of showing my breakout player career when Scott dropped me, ever since it's spiralled to I couldn't even make South's team. So I sat back for years, plotting my revenge. Then the opportunity struck, maybe writing some local basketball previews would wreak havoc across the league. As I silently prayed, Woodville and South turned out horrible seasons despite having very talented teams. Eureka I said, revenge is mine. Those nights of weeping into my pillow as I tried to sleep at night because of the injustice that had befallen me. All those other posts questioning coaching ability were completely unrelated to my own personal campaign to get my revenge. Studying at University had paid off, just to make critical remarks against my sworn enemies. Despite all the other posts made by others, all agreeing that every coach in the league were NBL, may, NBA bound, I managed to slip in scathing, yet totally unfounded criticism of teams performing badly. The masses revolt, outraged that the notion that a coach could somehow be the reason that preseason favourites are spiralling to the cellar and those damn upstarts like Sturt, Forestville and Southern just wheel themselves out each week and somehow win despite there own coaching foibles. Of course they don't have the success of the much maligned coaches that I blaspheme.
So tonight, as I take the final sausage rolls home and go to my room after saying goodnight to Mama and Papa, I'll do some much required soul searching. My journalism career is over, completely blown apart because of the facts presented by the esteemed experts who I offended with my personal opinion. I'll go through my Pokemon card collection tomorrow, but it won't feel the same as I gaze upon my prized Charizard card. I will think to myself, how did they discover that it was all a dream of mine to undermine such perfect coaching careers, and that I spent hours poring over box scores to gleam any information that would make me feel like a professional journalist. Even my pseudonym was uncovered as a sham. I have to reveal I am not the revered American sporting journalist, I made it all up. But I am still amazed that such experts don't offer their services to provide any commentary. That would be too hard wouldn't it.
So I will have to retire again, damn it. How will I fuel my overwhelming passion to undermine my arch nemesises. Maybe I'll go in disguise when they play each other and yell they suck. Oh wait, I'm too scared to do that. Oh well, I'll just have to satisfy my obsession in another way.
But to finish. Are you fucking kidding me that you think those 2 are getting the most out of their teams, really??? If you are, wow.
Goodbye.

Reply #856444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said. Your write ups are great and are just what most of us look for.

Reply #856446 | Report this post

Young sniper  
Years ago

Andy Barton only with 7 mins at the half! I'm with Juno, Andy is a certified baller and would provide what south need off the bench

Reply #856452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look at the ladder , it's the toughest season in recent memory , apart from one team anyone can beat anyone on a given week , picking on Woodville and south to do better is disrespectful to the other teams getting it done

Reply #856459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just stick to the "facts" in the stats. You can contribute in a positive way by just understanding your place. Some of what is written is of value but when you try to be sensational or push an opinion you just come across as petty.

Reply #856462 | Report this post

Asappp  
Years ago

Think coming across as petty is a bit unfair. Whatmore it's shows inability to be reflective whichmore is in itself petty..
W... OJ love ya wo..rk bro...
So writemore with more wit.. dont let petty matters bring ya down or you Ville go south like air balloon without air.. b all loony like that rat in coke can on speed.... happy air b all in baby dolls ....

Reply #856469 | Report this post

Htf  
Years ago

462 is exactly right imo

Reply #856473 | Report this post

NBL1 OG  
Years ago

I like sharing my and reading Woj's opinions - maybe it comes across as personal or something but from my POV I'm just commenting on what I see.

Around the grounds I enjoyed flicking between the Forestville vs Norwood game and the North vs Woodville game both of which were a high standard. I think Norwood will really push teams in the back end of the year and I was very impressed with the Dech vs Jacobs match up at the start of that game. McVeigh was also a class act. Both games went close to how I expected them to.

West definitely took it up to Southern, I didn't tune in to see that one but it must have been a big collapse in the last. Could really hurt their finals chances while the wins the past 2 weeks might have Southern already locked in.

Centrals couldn't get it done but looks like it was a reasonably close game and South predictably proved too strong for Eastern.

Reply #856476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rojo with an early shower again

Reply #856480 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

So South absolutely cruise to a victory with 3 starters missing, Starling, Hulland and Ellis . , Barton a good player but struggles with defensive speed and lacks the ability to create his own shot. All reports are Starling been injured for a few weeks . It is clearly a personal bias against Petty and South generally from WOJ, lay-off the personal attacks and add a bit more professional approach ti your commentary and evaluation. How good a coach was Rigoni or Simons at the same period in there career ?

Reply #856509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rigoni and Simons both probably still playing at a high level at Pettys age. I think the difference is now they all carry themselves. Petty seems to invite the criticism with his behaviour and attitude.

Reply #856510 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

510 you actually just gave confirmation to my point , Rigoni and Simons probably 20-30 yrs coaching experience now , how do you think Andy would have carried himself as a 30 yo coach at this level ?

Reply #856514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if they did behave in some sort of way that would justify Pettys behaviour now?

Reply #856516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petty carries on like a flog. Wasn't long ago he was sacked from centrals D2 U16 girls for not knowing what he was doing.
How he ever ended up as a senior mens HC is beyond me.
He was good for pulling out the chair for Nyberg in time outs.

Reply #856531 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

Petty's behaviour ?Andys behaviour at times now is not great . I’ve never seen any behaviour from Petty vastly different from any other coach . Just seems like one or 2 individuals on hoops with an axe to grind .

Reply #856543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's talk about the games. Looks like some great ones last night. North in a close one - I’m not sure they’ll have enough to make finals.

Reply #856550 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

West/Tigers was a hostile game, spud celebrated his 300 by hitting a Three!!
Lots of trash talk, between players, and a fair bit of heckling from a full upstairs bar.
4th quarter collapse due to imports trying to be the hero, and not playing good team basketball. let your game talk.

Reply #856622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West now struggling at 4-7. Are they cooked for the year or do they have a finals run in them? Ross and Michaels are very talented but scoring 61 won't get it done.

Reply #856646 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754