Shano76
Years ago

Humphries gone?

NBL free agent list released and Isaac is on it.
Must've declined the option?
Sixers screwed if he leaves. Wonder why he’d want out?

Topic #48786 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldn't he want out?

Reply #856535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG was coy about Humphries on the latest Hoopla pod. Not exact words but said something along the lines of 'we haven't decided how we're going to approach the situation'.

Could take it any number of ways. My read was that Humphries is chasing increased pay, which is probs fair enough.

Reply #856536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne to replace Landale i heard.

Reply #856538 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

The Hawks should get Humph and forget about Bairstow

Reply #856546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks will go after Gorjok Gak

Reply #856547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian bound is the word

Reply #856548 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Everyone Tasmania bound.

Reply #856554 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Come on down Perth fan time to get on the Jackjumpers!

They do have to recruit a full roster as opposed to just a couple of players that other clubs do, so you'd expect their name to be prominent.

Humphries would be a good signing for whichever club he ends up in.

Reply #856558 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

If he is gone, the Sixers are farked.
Probably are anyway.
No faith in JVG and there's only Dech and DJ contracted.
Least there’s three imports- they’ll have to nail those to compete.
It’s a long time between drinks now. 98, 99 and 2002 seem forever ago. Very frustrating for the die hard Sixers fans.

Reply #856568 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Don't forget Kai Sotto!

Reply #856569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech. You can't be serious about any serious output or relying him to be a game winner.

Reply #856571 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" If he is gone, the Sixers are farked.
Probably are anyway."

Yip

Reply #856582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(i)/ns
Dech/Robateau
Paul(i)/Mcveigh
Johnson/Pinder
(i)/Sotto(ap)

Reply #856583 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sounds like the Sixers wanted to re-negotiate:

When the 36ers originally signed Humphries, they inked him to a two-year deal but with a mutual option attached to the second year. As it turns out, that option hasn't been exercised with the club instead looking to renegotiate a new contract. As of right now, the two parties have not been able to reach a new agreement which means Humphries is becoming available to the open market.

Latest on McVeigh:

The other really interesting free agent on this list, for me, is Jack McVeigh. There’s plenty of interest in the talented forward (who turns 25 today) from around the league so the 36ers (whom ESPN’s Olgun Uluc reports have an offer on the table) will have significant competition for his signature.

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl22-free-agency-primer

Reply #856589 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Weren't the players only on half pay last season? The Sixers need to stop being cheap bastards and lock Humphries in! Who the fark else are they going to get in here if he leaves?

Supporters need to see that there is something to build around for the future and without Humphries there is nothing in the stables.

Likewise, how are they going to attract other good free agents? Players want to play with other good players. Why would you come to the Sixers with only an old DJ and Dech to join forces with?

Reply #856618 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

^ x 2
Agreed Beantown. And we have JVG in charge of getting it done. And then selecting three good imports.
Big off season. Fans need to see a competitive squad or they'll drop off, especially with ticket prices now and no Giddey sideshow.

Reply #856633 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah 100% agreed Shano. We've had big hikes in members ticket prices, I have a much worse view of the action and we’ve gone backwards 3 years in a row on the court when we SHOULD have been in year 4 of a championship window with DJ, Creek and Sobey.

I get that the club had to upgrade facilities to increase its revenue potential, so I’m trying to stick out this lean period and support the club, but we need to start seeing results soon.

Reply #856641 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Anyone who believes what JVG says deserves to be lied to... That guy got chucked out of the snake oil salesmen club for being too shonky...

I can't believe that with Humphries being on the MVP track before his injury, the 36ers thought to renegotiate their deal, seriously? They really can't get over themselves, can they... Whatever they got Isaac for at the start would have been an absolute steal with how he was playing...

Reply #856643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers do spend, all this they are cheap is crap. There not up to Perth or United levels yes but up there.

Re Humphries, maybe there doctors are telling them to be aware of that foot injury, they can be very serious and need time to mend and sometimes never do 100%. He's hasn’t really played that many games. If so you take the punt at a reduced rate or let some other sucker take the chance, not making himself available for boomers might give some clues.

Reply #856657 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I kind of reluctantly agree. If it's true Humphries was on $400k this season then the second year of that deal would've been for at least the same money if not more so if I were the Sixers I would be quite reluctant to pay that money for a guy who missed half the season due to injury and was a shell of the player he was before that injury when he did return and then went out injured again.

Maybe you could take a risk at bringing him back for say $300k but not $400k and frankly Humphries after the injury riddled season he had should be willing to take a pay cut.

Reply #856663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even 300k is a big risk, though sometimes it's risk and reward but quite often can be failure.

Reply #856668 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

"Maybe you could take a risk at bringing him back for say $300k but not $400k and frankly Humphries after the injury riddled season he had should be willing to take a pay cut."

I agree, but the question is, will other teams think this way? Given there's a relative lack of Aussie big men, it would be worth paying Humphries a bit of extra coin, when he is of import quality.

Reply #856669 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree $300k would still be quite a risk as he wasn't good when he finally came back from injury then went out injured again and now pulled out of Boomers camp possibly to keep prying eyes at bay.

Very short turn around this season to next may still be injured and when the feet start playing up on big guys they can fall away really quickly.

Reply #856670 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Regarding the entertainment centre, our seats are further back aswell.

The State Govt have announced and allocated a lot of $ in the recent budget to build a city based stadium purpose built for Basketball, so I'm happy to stay at ent centre and have a few years of pain until that's finished.

I still want a team competing for the title though, as can't expect members to fill stadiums when team not competitive

Reply #856676 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I like Humphries, I think he (his injuries) was the difference between making the playoffs and missing out.

I would like him to stay but I am also weary of his fitness.

We all want success for the club but by that goal bringing in impactful players, however what is the use of an impactful player who plays just above half the time?

We got so close just for Childress to go down at the end and that was a hard lesson. We all knew Childress' fitness history, we rolled the dice and lost.

Should we roll the dice again? I think Humphries can be worth it but at the right price.

I would not be upset if Humphries left, then we can use that money on something better, shame that Kay has gone to Japan. Kay and DJ would make a formidable offensive front court.

Reply #856681 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big caveat: *if its true he was on $400k*

I'm not convinced anyone on here really knows what he’s on. Even if it was $400k, didn’t all the players take a 50% pay cut last season?

If so, he came back early from his preseason injury IIRC and played his ass off for us for $200k. Given he was at least as impactful on both ends as any big man in the competition before his injury, I would absolutely honour the second year of his contract unless I had reason to believe he wouldn’t be healthy. It would be a powerful show of faith that would go a long way to getting his signature on a longer contract in future. It would also start changing negative player mindsets towards Adelaide after the bad Creek PR!

If the Sixers want to win a title, they need to sign the best Aussies. Humphries has a chance to win MVP if he can play a full season at the level he showed last season. If we don’t spend the money on him, what better player is available that they can realistically sign? Unless they want to outbid Melbourne for Lual-Acuil, the options are pretty limited!

Reply #856702 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Even if it was $400k, didn't all the players take a 50% pay cut last season?

Players that were already under contract did, he wasn't though.

Reply #856707 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Big caveat: *if its true he was on $400k*

At the beginning of the season he was reported (Liam Santa) as being the highest paid local, pre-Landale.

We did not get value for money last season. I'm happy to roll the dice for next season, but accept that comes with risks.

Reply #856710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not quite right, if you were out contract and you signed for 400k and received 400k your contract was valued at at 800k, if you signed for 400k and took 200k your contract was valued 400k to the cap. Every player took a reduction wether in or out of contract.

Reply #856711 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't believe that's right. Players that were already under contract were given the option of taking a 50% pay cut or being allowed to walk away from their deals.

Cotton, Kay, Ware, Cooks and Hodgson were the guys that chose to opt out knowing they could opt back in by a certain date if they wish. Ware, Cooks & Hodgson decided to opt back in to their now 50% reduced deals, Kay chose to go to Spain instead and remember the song and dance Bryce Cotton made about leaving?

Cotton opted out gave his farewells wished the WA public all the best then turned around and re-signed with Perth to a new 3 year deal said to be worth $600k a season. Cotton would not be playing here for $300k a season, he could get $600-800k a season in Europe.

Reply #856715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm 99.9 % sure it’s right, it would’ve been totally unfair on players signed. I know a fairly big name player with a a big time agent that try to renegotiate his existing contract but it was no go and changed nothing.

Reply #856717 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Well Cotton did so...

Reply #856718 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Everyone took a pay cut, whether they had an existing contract or not.

Remember Liam Santamaria saying on Overtime that Cotton was taking up the entire soft cap. Cotton's contract was reportedly $600k per. The soft cap is about $1.2M. Do the math.

Reply #856719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think when Adelaide signed Humphries last year, the consensus was around the mark of solid without being spectacular. So if Adelaide paid good money then, and he's only proven to be better, I think it would be a huge mistake not to resign him if he's keen to return. Seems like a bit of a waste otherwise.

A couple of reports have Adelaide making a genuine play at McCarron.

Reply #856721 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Getting 4K McCarron would be huge.

Hopefully Adelaide would pay enough that he won't need any NBLPA hand outs.

Reply #856723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron is from Brisbane, imo it's going to take a very overs offer to get him out the bullets. He’s probably the best free agent on the market at present.

Reply #856724 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It would be mind-bogglingly unfair if the NBL forced all signed players to take a 50% pay cut, then turned around and allowed players signed after that agreement to receive full wages!

McCarron would be a good get for Adelaide, but I doubt the Sixers could outbid Melbourne and all the other teams who will be bidding for him!

In any case, if we've got that kind of money, surely its better spent on Humphries than McCarron? Its a lot easier to replace what McCarron brings than what Humphries brings.

Reply #856730 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Or beantown, they can bring both :)

Reply #857092 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:13 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754