rjd
Years ago

Simmons officially withdrawn from Boomers Tokyo squad

BA announced this morning that Simmons has withdrawn from the Olympics squad.

https://australia.basketball/blog/2021/06/29/simmons-withdraws-from-olympic-squad/

Topic #48799 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic!

His country is obviously not a priority!

Reply #856760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UNAUSTRALIAN!

Reply #856761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His in london going out to places with his girl.

Reply #856762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He hasn't worked on his shot for 5 years, give me a break. What’s going to change?

Reply #856763 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So glad we upended the entire program just to make him happy, then.

Reply #856764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Selfish upstart!

I'm burning my Simmons singlet

Reply #856765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team is better off without him.

Reply #856766 | Report this post

TheDawg  
Years ago

He'd be a distraction we just don't need if he played. Probably best for all.

Fact he says he's keen to join in the future should be taken with a grain of salt at best as he's been saying that for about 6 years now.

Reply #856768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was the difference between possible medal and 1/4 finals. Let's be real...
Not on offense but his d would have shut down a lot of players.

This team ain’t good enough when you look at the other teams rosters.

Reply #856769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA
Spain full strength...
France full strength…
Argentina full strength…
Canada potentially full strength…
Serbia 95%

Australia 85%?

Maybe
Lithuania
Brazil
Germany
Croatia
Czech

Reply #856770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has been apparently improving his shot for years, nothing will change. He simply does not won't to play for Australia.

Reply #856772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To string ba along until the last minute shows he couldn't give a toss about the team.

Reply #856773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Future majors?

Simmons
23 WC 27y.o
24 olympics 28y.o
27 WC 31y.o
28 olympics 32y.o

31 WC 35y.o - probably not....

Reply #856774 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Forget about WCs

2024 Paris best shot probably

Reply #856775 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

There goes the 'lucrative' payday he would’ve received from Four n Twenty. Heh.

Reply #856776 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Probably found another Kardashian to chase.

Reply #856779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's in london dating maya jama

Reply #856780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/15413535/maya-jama-pictured-rumours-date-night-ben-simmons/

Reply #856781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Boomers were always going to struggle this campaign. This just puts the nail in the coffin.

Reply #856782 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Serbia 95%"

Serbia is missing three of their best players. How are they 95 percent while we're 85?

"Spain full strength...
France full strength...
Argentina full strength…"

Who cares about Argentina? That medal run was the fluke to end all flukes.

France, not that scary really.

Spain, we've knocked on the door to beating them with a worse team than we will have this year.

Canada could be scary but have never got it together before. We don't know that they will now.

"This team ain't good enough when you look at the other teams rosters."

Other teams POTENTIAL rosters. Mind you, this team is going to be far better on paper than our 2016 and 2019 teams that both knocked on the medal door. We weren't favourites to beat France and Lithuania, yet we did. We have an experienced core and that means something.

I am not saying we're going to waltz in and get a medal but I think the catastrophizing is unwarranted. We are going to be better than we have been over the past decade. We're going to be more athletic. We're going to have far better wing defense - an area we've especially struggled in. Ben Simmons does not make or break this team.

-

"So glad we upended the entire program just to make him happy, then."

Yep, we brought in David Patrick in 2019 to placate him, went nowhere. Removed the most successful Boomers coach of all time from the team, did nothing.

I remember in 2019 people used to defend him saying 'oh but wouldn't you prefer he plays in the Olympics?' I always knew that there was every chance that wouldn't happen either.

I thought when Ben was knocked out of the playoffs, "oh good. Welcome to Boomers camp Ben." But somehow he's managed to be healthy, be well rested, have an entire off-season, and STILL not find 3-4 weeks for the Boomers!

I know the external rhetoric from the team will be about mateship and sticking by him, but fickity fuck that. The Boomers should have made their last Ben Simmons related concession now. No more bending over backwards.

It's pretty sad when Matisse Thybulle - a guy who barely holidayed in Australia - shows more interest in the program than the apparent poster boy.

Stop trying with Ben. The next Olympics is about guys like Giddey, Dyson Daniels, Matisse Thybulle, Josh Green, Jock Landale, etc

Reply #856783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy is a clown

Reply #856784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Olympics is about those guys we are right royally screwed

Reply #856785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why doubt Argentina? A fluke? Lol, you sound like an idiot.

Reply #856786 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I was talking about the 2024 Olympics. I dont want us chasing Ben anymore. It's actually humiliating.

Reply #856787 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Who have Argentina actually got that we should all be worried about?

They had a far easier draw than most at the cup and they won an impressive game that put them in the finals. Their draw leading to that was far easier than anyone elses.

Reply #856788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beating Serbia in the 1/4s and then France in the semis with a depleted roster ain't an achievement?

Reply #856789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And then France beat Aus for third.

Reply #856791 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Beating Serbia in the 1/4s and then France in the semis with a depleted roster ain't an achievement?"

Didnt say it's not, but we did basically the same thing as them with a worse roster than we currently have.

Let's not forget the talk when Bolden pulled out. Most people thought any vague medal shot we had was done. We got within a point of the gold medal game.

We've got a far better team this time around, with the only downside being that Duop Reath isn't really an adequate replacement for Bogut. Outside of that the athleticism on this team is another step up from anything we've ever had.

Reply #856792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do realise that every team at the WC had people missing... every team has become stronger for the Olympics.

Reply #856793 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"And then France beat Aus for third."

France beat a tired, broken Boomers team that ran their starting 5 into the floor for third after the Boomers gave up a 15 point lead. Did you not see the game? Baynes was gassed. Mills was gassed. Ingles was gassed.

We wont have the same problem next time when it comes to rotating our main guys.

Reply #856794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep diggin me,

Reply #856795 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"You do realise that every team at the WC had people missing... every team has become stronger for the Olympics."

And so have we.... an in shape Dante Exum, Matisse thybulle, Josh green are your replacements for Barlow, Gliddon and Sobey. I think that's an upgrade...

Reply #856796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons pulled out of WC
Simmons pulled out of Olympics

Not worth selecting him!!!!!!!

Too many issues with him .

Reply #856797 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Keep diggin me,"

Context matters. Just because one team beat another under one set of conditions doesnt mean they're a better team in every situation. We beat Team USA in warm ups in 2019, does that mean we beat them for a medal this year? No. Why? Different conditions.

Reply #856798 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

You said France beat us. You do realize we also beat France don't you? You seem to be picking and choosing which victories mean something and which dont just based on whether they fit your narrative. All I am saying is based on recent evidence, we have no need to be unduly worried about France. We CAN beat them.

Reply #856799 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Disappointing but not surprising.

Boomers still a real medal chance but not as much as we would've been with Simmons. He would've helped on both ends of the floor.

Fact that he waited until after camp had started to let them know, makes me question his character and commitment in general. Concerning that his career trajectory suggests he hasn't been putting in enough work on elements of his game, so I'm unsure if he has the mental toughness and discipline to become uver elite. And this type of behavior is concerning too from a character perspective.

Oh well, onwards and upwards without him. Hopefully he commits in future and genuinely works on his game on the meantime, and becomes the type of NBA superstar we were hoping he would.

Reply #856800 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

uber*

Reply #856801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, you need to start developing the frontal lobe with that kind of logic.

Reply #856802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me you just used being tired as an excuse...

Reply #856803 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ben really justifies all the criticism levelled at him. Him dillying around proves he's not all that concerned with the Boomers. Him showing up with the same broken game every year shows he lacks dedication. He was meant to be the next Lebron James but I think people overestimated what is between his ears and under his sternum. God wasted talent on him. He could be the best player in the NBA but he doesnt want it bad enough. If Ben Simmons wanted success the way Kobe Bryant wanted success he would be league MVP next year. But I bet he comes back hiding from his jump shot and being generally poor at all of his traditional weaknesses. I also bet we dont see him in a Boomers jersey until his career is basically over, if at all.

Reply #856804 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Me you just used being tired as an excuse..."

Yeah... after a double overtime game.

CONTEXT MATTERS.

Reply #856805 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Delly, Patty and Ingles played the most minutes of basically any players of the tournament I hope you know. All of them were spent in that bronze medal game. And they had nothing they could go to on the bench to replace them. You've got Dante, Thybulle and Green as obvious replacements who will give those guys rest in this team. We had none of that in 2019. We did surprisingly well seeing as we had 3 pieces of dead wood at the end of the bench.

Reply #856807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God, really?
Which god? 3000 choices.

Reply #856809 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

I believe he has been told they're trading him and he can't afford to get injured by playing until it's over.

Reply #856811 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

All the best Ben, hope you get traded to a bottom 4 side...

Reply #856812 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'll admit, things are up-in-the-air for this team. But the core is formidable and they've been there, and (almost) done that. Delly, Patty, Ingles, Baynes are all guys who are used to the international game and nothing is going to phase them.

The question marks are what kind of form does Dante find himself in? How do you work Thybulle into rotation? Does Green get minutes? Do you play Landale as back up center or can you get more out of Duop Reath? Does Goulding make the team or do you opt for someone who isn't a bit of a chucker? Does bringing Goorjian in, despite being a good coach, actually help or hinder a team that already was most of the way to their goal under Lemanis?

On paper this still stands to be the best Boomers team we've put together but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about how things will work out - I was just MORE nervous in 2019.

I think the Boomers will be in the mix of teams vying for a medal but how that turns out will depend on our depth, how other teams actually show up to the games, and how Goorjian actually gets this team playing. We cant keep mourning the loss of Simmons because you cant lose what you never had.

In our group we have Nigeria, who will be tougher than most expect, and most likely Serbia and Croatia. You'd pencil us in to beat Nigeria and Croatia (most likely) with Serbia being the danger game. They will also be without their best player, and we saw how they performed in 2019. But, of course, you don't sleep on them.

The top team of the group advances to the top four, along with with the best second placed team of the three groups combined.

Based on our draw, we're likely butting heads with Serbia for a shot at the top four and a medal.

It will be a shorter tournament with no quarter finals and less margin for error. But it is a perfect opportunity for an in-form team to come through and surprise everyone. That could as easily be Australia as it was Argentina in 2019.

I think the key for success for this team is we need to be able to go 10-12 deep. We cant be bringing along any players who cannot play a meaningful role in an important game. if that means blooding Giddey doesn't happen, so be it. We need to give this team the best possible chance of success.

Reply #856815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If team USA asked him to play he'd be there

Reply #856816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly and Baynes have hardly played in the nba this season. Our "core" is considerably depleted compared to previous boomers who have competed for a medal.

Reply #856817 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

i think that Ben needs the Boomers more than the Boomers need Ben. Until he gets his head & heart in order, he work all he wants on his technique, but to quote Troy Bolton, he needs to "get his head in the game"

Reply #856820 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Simmons' character has been questioned above. In his personal case, I want to highlight his blatant disregard for what his dad did all those years ago. He became an Australian.

For Americans, and for most nationals, it's not easy to relinquish your natural citizenship for any other. Dave thought we were a worthy nation. His son is saying, "Dad, you got it wrong".

Not only has he LET AUSTRALIANS DOWN, he also robbed his own parents of the honour, pride and joy that their son is an Olympian, and even a medalist. Instead, they are left holding the fort, trying to justify their son's decision, to all they know

When he has babies of his own (if his balls are up to it, his balls aren't up to representing his country), he may learn that it's not "all-about-me".

Ben, you're pathetic! Not for not playing. But by showing your innate disrespect for all Australians, including your own mum and dad. I repeat, pathetic.

You have made your ridiculous claim that improving your jump-shot is more important than representing your country.

You have become irrelevant to Australian basketball. Lemanis may have twigged when he left you out of his squad back then. Sheesh, talk about holding a grudge. Thanks to you, so do I now.

I look forward to great results, including medals, without you.

Think about all that and be happy with yourself!

Reply #856822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's in london, england, screwing as I type. You think he gives a toss?

5 years of the same thing 'working on my jump shot’

Reply #856828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you saying Dave Patrick is not on the boomers staff anymore? Surely he got there on merit, as he has with all of his other stops over the years?

Genuinely shocked

Please don't take this post seriously.

Reply #856836 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"mental health"
"mental health"
"mental health"
"No, not his! He left his house to meet a girl! He smiled and it looked like a smirk! He's not allowed to smile until his free throw percentage is at least 65%!"

He had an obvious meltdown on the global stage. While I think playing some basketball with countrymen who would have your back is in theory a positive, it doesn't matter what I think. He might want to be nowhere near basketball for a couple of weeks before starting training. His employer might have specifically requested that he sit out the games for that or another reason.

And for any talk of "he's done nothing to improve his game any other off-season", most of us struggle to work on things that don't come naturally. Not all of us make dramatic improvements year after year. I know I still avoid the same things I avoided last year, still have the same difficult projects stalled. "But he gets paid millions!" Yeah, by the people who probably suggested he take some time off.

It is what it is. Little point in being vindictive about it.

Reply #856840 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Delly and Baynes have hardly played in the nba this season. Our "core" is considerably depleted compared to previous boomers who have competed for a medal."

Yeah, it's a concern. May or may not lead to a downturn in how they play for the Boomers though. Their bodies are fresh on the upside.

Reply #856841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankfully Isaac has some common sense on here.

For all the complaints about him upending the program, lemanis wasn't going to be the coach forever he was going to be gone eventually. Now it’s not ideal in that he didn’t get to have one last Olympic crack with all the work that was put in but clearly BA had an issue with his time as coach (development of young players - some his fault and some not, selections and the effect of said selections)

Some clowns on here will rip Simmons like he owed them something, but I think it’s worth asking is perhaps some time to decompress from basketball the best thing for him right now? It may not be but it could also be what is best for him

As it’s been stated earlier, don’t underestimate he had a massive playoff meltdown, the influence of rich paul, what the 76ers are telling him, I doubt a lot of this is even up to him. I say this especially as I believe yesterday it was reported philly said they’re are committed to him and if so then he’s gonna need every second available to work on his shooting.

You can say "why hasn’t he done it in 5 years then" and that’s a fair point, however he hasn’t done so and he has chosen now is the time. Some people on here are acting as if he was pulling BA along for a laugh, when that’s not the case as if he didn’t want anything to do with the boomers then he wouldn’t commit to the program initially.

In regards to his shooting Jackie Mac from Boston outright said he can shoot, however he’s a perfectionist and so to him he’s not gonna shoot when he doesn’t think he’s that good at it.

However it is kinda funny that Thybulle will probably end up playing and he won’t.

Considering most clowns on here only watch nbl and thought Thybulle wasn’t even in phillys rotation, then he’s not gonna effect you but it is funny that you get so emotional over him and I highly doubt his pay check will worry him what some posters online will say as plenty of people will still be buying his jerseys

Reply #856852 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting contrast between a fan posting that Simmons "LET AUSTRALIANS DOWN" while Patty Mills (you know, the guy that would've actually had Simmons playing alongside him) is posting a video about a tight circle of teammates that support each other and what they're going through, whether they're in or out of a team, etc.

But no, apparently Simmons brings shame to his country, his parents and any future children.

Anyway, unfortunate he won't be there, but hopefully we get to see how Thybulle goes in the international format and fitting into a new team. Exum if he's fit also.

Reply #856855 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think Australians are obliged to celebrate or seek to understand Ben. Why should we hold him up as one of our own if he doesnt represent us? It's a reasonable gripe to have with a player. You cant take the millions of dollars in jersey sales but none of the criticism.

And Patty has a right to his point of view. He's going to say that. He's an ambassador for the Boomers and it is the right thing to say from that position. But I doubt in his private thoughts that he is all-too happy with the decision. There are rumours around the Boomers for years that they all took issue with Ben and his attitude, some referring to him as "the yank".

Hey, maybe that's why he isn't that enthusiastic about playing? Who knows. But I dont think Ben deserves a chorus of "nawww... it's all okay Ben!" A lot of people are pissed off with him, from Philly to Australia, and all for justifiable reasons.

Reply #856856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's one thing to criticise him, you don’t have to coddle him, you can be disappointed in him but to say stuff like "letting Australians down" and “dead to me” and shouldn’t be included in a boomers team again is childish sour grapes as we all know the team would be better with him.

Reply #856861 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well the Boomers have bent over backwards to placate him for years and the result is the same. Would you really keep doing that for him for the small chance he pulls his finger out?

Maybe you dont ban him from the team but I'd certainly stop hand-picking his favourite coaches and massaging his ball sack such that the whole team is built around his needs. Let's face it, Brett Brown was because of Simmons. Goorjian because of Simmons. Was it really broke under Lemanis? I feel like that team and that coaching staff should have been given the opportunity to see out the whole cycle with the team.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 and maybe if Ben committed you'd say the right choice was made, but in future, no, I dont think we should be making those kinds of concessions to him. The Boomers clearly are not to him what they are to Patty Mills.

Reply #856863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can tell whether being a Boomer means something to someone. For Simmons the jury would say it does not - multiple times. So people defending him here are happy that he keeps coming up with issues to join us rather than showing integrity and being a man of your word. "Ben commits to the boomers" was what we were reading in Feb. In the old days your word was your bond, I dont care what drama you have with your 30+million salary, show character and stick to your word.

Today you have these privileged NBA stars, too overpaid for the value they bring to humanity and they convey this sense of being more important than anyone but themselves. Country is not even in their top 5 list. Ben cant even communicate directly to Australians - its all via agents and spokesmen.

Look at cotton for example, he was really keen to support Australia if he became naturalised. He has only lived here a few years. Simmons grew up here ! But I guess for many folks NBA > Country and will always be. He gets a gold medal every pay check.

Its a pity its not like Soccer where Country > Club when it comes to the world cup. No matter how big a star is in Soccer , winning a world cup for his country means more than anything else.

Reply #856867 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

He would fit into the US team easily enough, where he wouldn't be carrying the hyper level of responsibility or national expectations that he would in the Boomers.

I can see him taking out US citizenship in the next few years in order to achieve this.

Reply #856868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The results are the same yes but clearly you're not understanding that the process is different as this go round you’d have to be clueless to not know that he’s getting immense pressure from philly and paul not to go plus likely mental health issues, oh wait that doesn’t matter to some because he’s playing for the boomers. Let’s face it, the boomers isn’t the end all and be all to some despite what some people on here think it is.

It’s incredibly frustrating to see him pull out again yes but that’s very surface level stuff. If you actually consider the factors around him the it’s not surprising at all in fact it’s kinda sad to see as he clearly wanted to initially participate (why else would he even put his hand up and pull out this late) but due to the surrounding factors in his life he chose his job over volunteering.

Should lemanis probably have had another crack? Absolutely, however he was going to be gone after this Olympics anyway and considering our youth it’s not a half bad idea to prioritise that for 2024-2028, and not mention there were issues with Lemanis besides Simmons.

Reply #856869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rich Paul is the problem here, Simmons stock is low and a poor olympics would make it worse.
He's on the trade table now.

Reply #856870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he's not playing ^

Reply #856872 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Disappointed at a lot of people. Ryan pulls out due to mental health issues and people support him, Ben pulls out and he gets roasted. Clearly Ben has some mental health issues as he didn't have the confidence to shoot. He is a better player than his playoffs had showed.

Yes I'm disappointed that he isn't playing, but we need to support those that need it.

Reply #856874 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am sure Ben has a passing interest in the Boomers but it's like a girl he's only sort of into, he's not going to make the time unless he can be bothered and everything lines up. For Patty it's the girl he wants to marry. For Ben, it's the girl he barely wants to be seen in public with.

Reply #856875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons is dining with hot babes in london, I'm pretty sure by the look on his face his doing ok.

Reply #856877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't care what drama you have" ah yes you mean the 2 factors in his life that determine his paycheques and his likely mental health issues mean nothing in this situation...

Not saying I’m not frustrated at his pulling out however there are bigger issues than the boomers

Reply #856878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or Simmons likely is interested in this hypothetical girl very much so but is being told you can't date her because if you do your job will be at risk and he’s got some mental health issues on top of that likely

And for the muppets that are bringing up him being in London clearly you don’t understand that he’s made a decision to currently not even want to be in the spotlight at all and be far away from basketball in general for the current moment alas his mental health

Reply #856880 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Yep totally expected this to happen. Usually its the "withdraw due to injury" line but either way the end result is how it was always going to be. No doubt a lot of the time its out of the players hands and the decisions are made by the people paying their contract. I do feel for him unfortunately he's the one having to cop it from americans and aussies now.

Agree with ME that BA shouldn't have been making concessions for a player that was little chance of making himself available to play for the boomers. Suggestions earlier that Lemanis' time would have been over anyway and he had his limitations. But he did deserve an opportunity to see it through to Tokyo and with a more full strength squad available to him. Its always a risk changing the coach when the team was playing so well under a certain system it will be interesting to see how they perform under Goorj.

Reply #856881 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People are saying he would have left eventually, yes, true. But he would have done so with one last shot with the team that he personally developed. This was the Olympics it was all meant to lead to. It's a bit farcical if that was taken away due to a player who isnt even going to show up.

Reply #856882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA saw issues about lemanis that weren't about Simmons (Simmons being the big one likely to do him in) but ideally yes he should’ve gotten his final shot.

Reply #856883 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's all inconsequential anyway. Basketball Australia took a gamble and in a sense, they've lost. Maybe Goorjian turns out to coach them better and they somehow medal but I think keeping a coach that took us to the precipice twice in a row was probably the safer option.

Anyway, all I am saying is dont go making these grand changes again for him. The program is not all about Ben Simmons and nor should it be.

Reply #856884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I agree with you ME I don't think BA should be slammed either as many have pointed out already the circumstances Simmons has found himself in and I don’t think they should be blamed for not expecting this outcome. When you consider the questions/issues around Lemanis, the issues around Simmons in his life atm and the fact that Simmons seemed to be with the program right till his playoff meltdown, BA shouldn’t be slammed over their decision. Yes the program shouldn’t be about Simmons, however there are a lot of factors in play also

Reply #856887 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

They shouldnt be slammed, but they shouldn't do it again either. They took a chance and it didnt pay off. Next time, dont bet on the same horse.

Reply #856888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well only time will tell if BA made the right choice, I doubt they did but I guess we'll see

Reply #856889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know that the concessions are that dramatic or entirely due to Simmons. They're flipping between Lemanis (did very well), Brown (ex-NBA coach) and Goorj (one of the best coaches seen in AU). I don't know whether Patrick has runs on the board, but it's not like they brought in Sean Tribe as Boomers head coach.

I'd bet the Yank thing is ribbing him for an affinity to part of his identity. Some people have that - Bogut has it for Croatia, part of my family has it.

Beyond that, not everyone has some "bleed for their country" thing. I don't have any great affinity for Australia. I enjoy following the Boomers, but I don't get incensed if a player doesn't put it above everything else in their life.

After the play-off series Simmons had, I don't blame him for leaning towards clearing his head. It's quite possible he had every intention of suiting up before that post-season played out.

I think you can appreciate the commitment of someone like Mills without needing to cut down Simmons as dramatically as people have.

Reply #856890 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Fair points, Isaac.

I suspect that BA heard what they wanted to hear when they spoke with Ben, and then saw the $$$ which would come from the massive marketing opportunity.

Andre was probably collateral damage, although as you pointed out they could have gone with any of the 3 coaches and not been wrong.

Reply #856892 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

'I don't have any great affinity for Australia'

This likely the difference in your stance with some of us that have a greater affinity with Australia. Watching the Olympics and having athletes bleed for their country is what a lot of us are used to.

Reply #856893 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Been saying Ben won't be at the Olympics since early last year and I'll go further - he'll never play for the Boomers ever again. Doesn't seem he has any passion for it. If I was BA, I wouldn't try to placate Ben. If he wants to play, he needs to come to BA and show he wants to.

Also wonder if Ben gave that homeless person any money??

Reply #856895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Affinity or not if you don't acknowledge the obvious situation Simmons is in then you’re in denial

Reply #856901 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Apologies if this has already been said, but I think the most frustrating thing for us in here that would give our eye teeth or other parts of the anatomy to represent our country in ANYTHING, is the constant flip-flopping from Simmons.

If he had come out years ago and said "Look, playing for Australia isn't a priority for me. I want to concentrate on my NBA career", then whilst baffling to many, understandable and completely his choice.

But to back and forth and then pull out AGAIN, no wonder people are miffed.

Reply #856906 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

You know Ben personally and his 'obvious situation'? How do you know he's just not laughing all the way to the bank with no care whatsoever? You have no clue like the rest of us, so no ones opinion on this is wrong or right.

Reply #856907 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I see this move as bad for Simmons in multiple ways:

HIS STOCK
This weakens his stock even further. It is yet another example of Simmons shying away from a more challenging, higher pressure option. He shrinks in the playoffs, and he completely avoids the challenge of the real world championships (or Olympics equivalent). It was an opportunity to demonstrate better FT shooting, because surely, the only way is up after going under 40% in NBA playoffs. It strengthens the argument that his mental strength is his real weakness. A major weakness. Not a leader. Not a franchise player.

HIS GAME
He and his team are dreaming if they think practicing free-throws in a gym will make the difference to his game. He needs mentorship. Sam Cassell may be helping, but he is still surrounded by a team and fans that are highly critical of him, which applies even more pressure on him. Surrounding himself with grounded, supportive veterans, in a new environment, a new system, surrounded by shooters, is worth exploring as an option. He might learn a thing or two. It may not be the solution to his flaws, but it might help and wouldn't hurt.

FAN ADMIRATION
In Australia, he could've redeemed himself. He could've become a Boomers legend. He's the best player -- no, most talented player -- Australia has ever produced. He could've built his brand in Australia and been a face of the Olympics. Instead, he pulls out late, again. He appears even less connected to Australia. He has become difficult to support. It's tough to find Simmons fans now, even in Australia. He appears so mentally weak that he is either manipulated by others (Clutch? 76ers?) to avoid the Olympics, or he simply evades making the call until he is forced into it, once again. In USA, he is already a laughing stock. In this off-season he will probably pop up on Instagram showing compilation videos of him draining 3s against scrubs. He will be pumped up, but it's all a mirage if he doesn't fix the actual problem with his game.

Reply #856908 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He would fit into the US team easily enough, where he wouldn't be carrying the hyper level of responsibility or national expectations that he would in the Boomers.

I can see him taking out US citizenship in the next few years in order to achieve this.
He's already played for the Boomers, which makes him ineligible to play for any other country.

Reply #856909 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Good point Kober.
There are some who forget about facts.

Reply #856911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's call an educated guess mate. Put the dots together.
Horrible playoff performance, Philly being extremely disappointed and therefore wanting him to stay and work on shooting "we have a lot of work to do"- Doc, Philly wanting to commit to him thus ensuring he has plenty of time to focus on shooting development, Rich Paul notorious for not exactly wanting his guys to play in the olympics particularly when money is on the line, which in this case it is if Simmons ends up in a smaller market, Simmons’ mental health in regards to not only getting slammed by everyone and being faced with a potential career defining moment on the line for him at the present moment and also from a sports perspective of despite multiple people ranging from coaches, former teammates, reporters and video itself showing and explaining he can shoot but is now not even willing to attempt to shoot.

It is frustrating that he’s pulled out no doubt, but if you choose to ignore the clear situation of mental health, and being forced to not play buy both his agent and employer then you’re a fool. But since 'he have his word 5 months ago’ none of that apparently matters or you’ll say some clueless thing of ‘he’s getting payed millions so I don’t care’ , well guess what those people paying those cheques are determining his choice in pulling out.

Reply #856914 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gus, the thing that changed between the two recent "flip-flops" is that he got serious yips on a massive stage in a way that can only come down to a psychological scenario. Surely you can see how someone might express interest in suiting and then have to walk it back under pressure on multiple fronts?

Senator11, yeah, I can just imagine it: "My favourite thing is laughing all the way to the bank. My latest money making plan is having a gradual collapse under intense pressure in front of millions of people across the planet to the point where the team could barely play me, I made a catastrophic season-ending decision under mental duress and then the coach and my star team-mate were both so thrown off by this that they threw me under the bus. Which then sparked discussions about whether I had any trade value at all. Just wait for the millions to roll in. What a great plan!"

Absolutely no issue in deciding he's not overly passionate about it, and that he's not worth concessions, that he's possibly coddled or has character flaws like the rest of us. Loads of interesting basketball discussions come out of it. But there's clearly a mental health issue. There are potentially stipulations from his employer. And there are some pretty ridiculous and petty reactions here.

Reply #856915 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

"And there are some pretty ridiculous and petty reactions here"

Sums it up.

Reply #856921 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Lol, I'm playing devils advocate here to prove a point that no one actually knows what's happening behind the scenes, yet you 2 are on your high horse basically saying your opinion is more correct than anyone else's.

At the end of the day, Ben's doing what's best for himself in his own opinion and those who are closest to him. Ppl can have their opinion of the situation without being self righteous about it...

Reply #856924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of players would give their right nut to play for Australia. He's never earned anything, when the going gets tough he bails out. Nothing but a spoiled so and so. A player is sitting home somewhere in Australia that would’ve been chomping at the bit to try out but misses selection on a Prima dona.
Same crap every time. Elvis Presley manager used to say, be kind on the way up and they’ll be kind on the way down, he had better hope he stays up.
Very disappointed.

Reply #856926 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, I have my opinions on it obviously but I am done talking about Ben Simmons in any Boomers context until I actually see him in the green and gold. Until then , he's basically Australia's Steven Adams.

Reply #856927 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I haven't looked at his stats but how much has his 3pt shooting improved if any since last season? He was supposedly working on his shooting last off season and it made world news when he a made a 3 pointer during a game early in the season. You're either a good shooter or not especially at this stage of his career and its still an issue. Its mostly mental with him and i believe being around his Aussie team mates for a few weeks would have been the best thing to happen.

Reply #856929 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I don't think he did take a 3 this year, that was last year maybe?

Reply #856930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adams has a genuine gripe. Maybe look into it.

Reply #856931 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Simmons is a dual citizen.

However, re-reading the relevant FIBA regulations, it does seem like he can't play for the USA as you say.
"A player who has played in a main official competition (see article 2-1) of FIBA before reaching his seventeenth (17) birthday may play for a national team of another country if both national member federations agree; in the absence of an agreement the Secretary General decides."

He made his senior debut for Australia in the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championship against New Zealand. I seems that he'd just turned 17, which I hadn't realised.

There are other provisions to allow playing for two countries but they don't apply to him.

Happy to be corrected.

Reply #856936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right so looking at an obvious situation going on, actually understanding it and taking into consideration as to why he did what he did is saying you can't have an opinion about it.

Never said that I wasn’t frustrated with him, but the childish behaviour of saying he shouldn’t ever be considered for a future team, saying he’s "dead to me", calling him selfish and whatever else all may be true, but ignoring what’s clearly going on is foolish. You can be angry at him, disappointed in him and whatever else, but if you chose to outright acknowledge what’s going on and still crucify him then you’re plain wrong

Reply #856937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons ain't playing for the USA, media hype.

Reply #856942 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Goorj is greater than Lemanis in all ways, so I wouldnt be worried about that move, if Ben was the reason for that, then I thank him for that much.

Pity he isnt playing, but he is clearly not keen, he can make his excuses and reasons all he likes, he just clearly wants to relax and party all off season, his choice, but give me a break on the oh hes going to be working on his shot all off season like we heard 2 years ago, when he did nothing extra and his team mate Danny Green has referred to him as lazy on a podcast recently.

He can do what he wants, but I wont be expecting Ben to play Boomers or believe its happening until i see it.

The upside is, we have a great team that should be top 4 without him, and with additions like Thybulle, Green, Exum we have extra length and athleticism in the wing /guard spots to levels we havent had before.

Reply #856943 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Who said you can't have an opinion about it?

Fair call about the childish behaviour and specific comments, none of which I said, maybe ppl who make those comments just need more time to process it and speak before that time. It's also fair that people are incredibly disappointed with less of a chance to finally medal at an Olympics game, and we also know in forums ppl say things they wouldn't necessarily say in real life to a group of strangers.

Worst I said was, 'hope he's traded to a bottom 4 side' which was more tongue in cheek, but also would show him how good he has it now on a great team with great players and how much harder it would be if he ended up somewhere like OKC.

Reply #856944 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Simmons can't play for the USA or any other country because he's already played for Australia.

Anyway I think we all knew this was coming and hopefully BA rule a line through Simmons from now on. No more mollycoddling, no more sticking his buddies on the coaching staff, no more picking the head coach with him in mind etc.

The guy simply does not care enough about playing for Australia it is an honour, not a right but an honor to wear the green & gold it's an absolute privilege and he keeps turning around and spitting it back in the country's face. No more this should be his last chance. Guys like Patty Mills would run through a brick wall for the country not Simmons though can't be bothered too busy gallivanting around in London.

Reply #856947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point was more towards being self righteous mate, I'm not saying people can’t be upset that he’s not playing but the reaction on here has turned from just disappointment to that of pathetic immaturity. What I’ve been trying to point out is that there is a clear circumstance the bloke is in (which is his fault) but the mental health implications and the influence of his employer and agent should be taken into account as this isn’t just him quitting on the team because he can’t be fucked playing (which I’m also not saying he hasn’t for sure said or felt that way) but the guy has 3 very big influences impacting on him right now that are all more important than playing for the boomers. So, to then say stuff like screw him, or how dare he is simply childish as those same people are either ignoring his situation or acknowledge it and don’t care which is still bad

Reply #856950 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Fair enough.

Reply #856958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Immature, lol I feel for the players who missed out on a chance to even try out. Simmons can do what he wants, just give everyone notice, it can't be that hard.

Reply #856974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone that should be there is there. He's not taking up a spot.

Reply #856989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's taken a spot of some one who could be there, Cook got in last time by training the house down, so did Kay. Cook didn’t go in the end due to injury, Kay went and played well.

Reply #856992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the point #974 philly only got knocked out like a week ago so there wasn’t really room for a long time of notice.

#992 he hasn’t taken anyone’s spot, there isn’t a person who isn’t at the camp due cuts (so no simmons, maker, broekhoff, humphries) that would be a clear chance to get in, mathiang wasn’t even in the 24 and cooks last go around was already making some noise prior to camp

Reply #856996 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Entertainingly hilarious thread as always Hoopsters. Some of the drivel trotted out on the Boomers apparent success or why they didn't succeed when others have is hilarious. Signature ME drivel

Very easy way to measure success - MEDALS

And we have none. The window has shut and while it’s hard to take people, let’s just own that we farked up by not giving these guys the best chance with a coach proven they can deliver while this group was at the peak.

With respect to my mate ME, you haven’t even nade the bast or most delusional comment in the thread. That prize goes to whoever made this comment:

'He actually can shoot, just doesn’t like to because he’s a perfectionist’ :)

Keepin doin you Hoopsters !!

Reply #857020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahaha ^ just ignore then the the part before that of Jackie Mac herself admitting that after seeing him in person and a bunch his former teammates but no keep doing you nostra!

Reply #857023 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

I CHOOSE NOT TO SHOOT !

Reply #857034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*proceeds to further ignore multiple journalists saying they've seen him shoot, several teammates saying the same thing and video proof itself well done nostra!

Reply #857039 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The medal window hasnt shut. We are bringing a better team man-for-man this year than we had in 2019 and 2016 and both times we were knocking on that medal window. The only position we are not stronger in is replacing Reath for Bogut. we are going to have more athleticism, length and better wing defense than we've ever had. I remember hearing all this catastophizing before the world cup as well.. and we were right on the door step then. I am not shrugging off their ability to get it together just because they dont have a coach who has medalled before. Someone medalling with Spain or France or whoever doesnt automatically mean they'll make an Australian team with Australian players, half of which from an Australian league win a medal. It just doesnt work like that. Only an idiot would think Lemanis did anything short of a great job with that team.

Reply #857047 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"That prize goes to whoever made this comment:

'He actually can shoot, just doesn't like to because he’s a perfectionist’ :)"

Not sure that Stephen A Smith is a credible source, but:

"Smith said the text came from someone "very, very close to the situation" and read as follows: “He doesn’t work, he doesn’t listen, and everyone around him is family, and he’s constantly babied.”

As for his shooting, I believe he can shoot much better than his numbers suggest. Is it a statistical coincidence that he shot 78% from the FT line when his team was down 1-5, but just 53% if tied or down 1-5? I recall he was shooting mid-range shots in the U17 tournament for the Emus. There's now a psychological barrier with his shot.

Reply #857065 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

* 53% if tied or up 1-5. (The worst situation if you worry about choking.)

Reply #857066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering there's actual video evidence of him shooting, and past teammates (reddick, McConnell etc), coaches and various journalists that have been on record as saying they’ve seen him shoot, I’ll take their word over some screaming completely disingenuous or just flat out idiot who makes people laugh with some occasional funny lines

Not saying Simmons isn’t lazy, but to say he’s never worked on it is simply wrong

Reply #857067 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

I never shoot in games, and when I rarely do, I miss, but my mates, one who's a local journo, have seen me make shots at training, so I’m actually a great shooter, I just choose not to shoot as I can’t make every one.

Lemanis was serviceable and I really like his style. But came up short when the pressure was on - the tanking disgrace then EOG play shambles v Turkey, the semi capitulation and further EOG turnover v Spain in Brazil, blowing massive leads in the semi and bronze games at last worlds.

The international sentiment re the Boomers are that they are highly talented but will crack when the money is on the line, which we’ve proved time and time again.

My point is why do we keep recreating the same situation - persisting with Lemanis, re-appointing Brown,Goorj, all coaches who haven’t succeeded internationally before ?

I clearly don’t get it like you guys do but there must be a reason why we haven’t chased a Scariolo, Djordjevic et al. It may be just money and availability which is all good, but I think I know the real reason.

Anyhow it’s all done, I’ll be willing on the Boomers in every game as I always have, and will look forward to celebrating another plucky true blue performance which does us proud and finishes 7th.

Reply #857076 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"My point is why do we keep recreating the same situation - persisting with Lemanis, re-appointing Brown,Goorj, all coaches who haven't succeeded internationally before ?"

I think what you're trying to say is, Gleeson. :P

Reply #857082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut on his podcast wanted to state what happened in 2019 pre WC. Basically, he has suggested Ben has no say in his career atm as his manager is making decisions for him including his withdrawal from the Boomers squads.

Reply #857094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My mates" , so you mean the people he spends 8 months with and see just about everyday?, “local journo” Jackie Mac for example I'd say isn’t local you test she does stories on every nba team, I don’t know if you’re trying to humorous but that’s the psychological part of it to your last point that there’s ample evidence of him shooting when not in game but come game time he shits himself. The perfectionist quote comes from Jackie Mac herself when she said she spoke to him, and there have been countless beat writers and national journalists who said similar sentiments, not to mention coaches. Well done nosta 3/3

Reply #857181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the bogut thing I don't necessarily think he alluded to what he was saying he kinda just said it was a big thing but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case

Reply #857184 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

You see anon, I choose not to shoot as I know there is no way I can make every one. I'm a perfectionist. I spend all my spare time practicing my shooting to become a great(er) shooter, even though I don't really need to as I'm alreday a great shooter. I never go on holidays in London, or play for my representative team, so I can practice my shooting, even though I'm allready an great shooter, and even though choose not to shoot anyway (cause i'm a perfectionist), and when I do have to shoot I miss. But I am a great shooter.

Now some haters say that being a great shooter (that I am) might actually be pretty useless if I a) actually dont shoot or b) when I do I miss, but I just I am a great shooter cause Jackie Mac says so and my team mates have seen me make a shot I just choose not to shoot and miss when I do.

Reply #857196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4/4 nostra you're on fire.

None of them ever claimed that he was a great shooter, they simply said he’s willing to shoot and do so with confidence in any environment except that of a game so you’ve outdone yourself there.

The perfectionist quote was simply from one individual hypothesising why he won’t shoot not the end all and be all so keep repeating that line.

What else to expect from someone that doesn’t follow nba games and journalism heavily but then tries to come up with some half assed theory/belief. Kinda the story of everyone else on this thread, but that doesn’t shock me since I’m dealing with a bunch of actual nbl fans

Reply #857232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done also nostra on trying to claim one of the more tenured national journalists is simply a local journo that was very impressive

Reply #857234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As soon as I see Nostradamus I don't even attempt to read it.

Reply #857253 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

According to New York Daily News Simmons has discord with the Boomers and Ingles in particular.
Anyone know more about this?

Reply #860707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't heard anything but I could see it since they are exact opposites. One is an old slow unathletic white guy with high basketball IQ who can shoot the ball and who cares about his country.

Reply #860708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you mean discord?

Reply #860719 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

discord
noun
/ˈdɪskɔːd/
disagreement between people.
"a prosperous family who showed no signs of discord"

Reply #860720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Discord normally means a disagreement between people.

Reply #860721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol snap Perthworld. Difference is I have a brain and didn't need Google for the meaning.

Reply #860722 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

#708 gold!! (ignoring the opposite of 'guy')

Reply #860723 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The guy was clearly thinking of the chat software so I made it as clear as possible to him that it's actually a word.

Reply #860724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons, who !

Reply #860725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right smart arses. I wanted to know if they meant he was in a discord chat with him and as such had a warm close relationship, or the opposite.

I tried to google the article but couldn't find it. Of course I know what the word means. You idiots.

Reply #860757 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

Hmmmm
Read it yesterday but seems to have been removed now.

Reply #860773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of providing a quote or paraphrasing the article so we get an understanding of what happened, rather that prattle on about a possible misinterpretation of a word?

Reply #860784 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754