Delly-Exum
Mills-Goulding
Ingles-Thybulle-green
Landale-cooks-Kay
Baynes-reath

Creek could replace green
Sobey no - third pg/sg option
Motum could replace Kay
Giddey no - needs development as a shooter/defender.

Reply #856818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Simmons, cotton, maker, Humphries, Broekhoff and even bolden as a 5th big hurts.

Reply #856819 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Delly
Mills
Baynes
Landale
Ingles

Exum
Goulding
Motum
Kay
Thybulle

Green
Kay

Reply #856821 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Broekhoff wasnt in any kind of form. I'd take Thybulle over Cotton. And with Bolden and Simmons, you cant mourn what you never had.

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes
Exum
Goulding
Thybulle
Motum
Duop
Green
Cooks

Reply #856823 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Sorry got Kay in twice. Both Kay and Reath

Reply #856824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are already a good defensive team, cotton was the better option but it means nothing now.

Reply #856825 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

Kay has a knack of making good plays but Motum has really been shooting well.Thats the toughest call for me.

Reply #856826 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Delly-Exum
Mills-Goulding
Ingles-Thybulle-green
Landale-cooks-Kay
Baynes-reath

This seems pretty close, but yeah Motum vs Kay is tough. Motum got left out last time, but new coach might change that.

Reply #856849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills
Thybulle
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Delly
Green
Goulding
Motum
Reath

Exum
Cooks

I don't think Thybulle and delly can play together so Thybulle starts as mills and Ingles can handle the ball.
There’s an argument for landale off the bench but still plays like 25+ mins just to have a good option when baynes isn’t on. I think Kay is better than cooks but goorj will froth over cooks and his athleticism in comparison to Kay imo. And exum is in as just a 12 guy really

Reply #856853 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think Exum is going to be a 12th man if healthy...

Reply #856854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum may not be a 12th man but it's not as ridiculous as you might think. Delly already from a chemistry perspective will probably get the nod(I personally think exum is better but I could see with the boomers goorj liking the fit of delly instead, then again goorj does love him so defence and tall, long athletic guys). He ain’t playing off the ball and Thybulle is a far superior defender, goulding is a far superior shooter, green all round is better at being off ball (he’s at least more use to it) and ingles and mills are flat out better. I think if he isn’t a 12 man he’ll replace delly in the rotation or I could be wrong and they’re both in it. I don’t think it’s due to talent it’s more of putting the pieces together

Reply #856857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly-Exum
Mills-Goulding
Ingles-Thybulle-green

Landale-cooks-Kay
Baynes-reath

To maybe

Cooks-Kay-Motum
Baynes-Landale

Reply #856858 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think green more likely to be 12th man than Exum.

Reply #856859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know who Reath actually is

Reply #856860 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Reath can consider himself lucky we are light on at centre.
In other positions people will miss out,
Kay, Motum and Cooks ( 2 out of 3)
Sobey and Giddey might also miss out although Giddey is the future of the team.
Creek probably the first man cut.

Reply #856862 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

To be fair to Reath, they kept him in the squad and cut Magnay, so the sentiment from the coaching staff must be they see more in Reath than Magnay.

He's a back up Euroleague center with size, decent defender, who can hit the three. Probably the equal of a lot of back up centers that many teams will have out there thta none of us would have heard of before. It's not quite like bringing Pau Gasol off the bench but he will fill a hole for us regardless.

Reply #856864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath imo is being slept on as he's been on a euro league roster for a reason, but I think he will get minutes (likely not many) just to help baynes and landale rest

Reply #856871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he's been slept on..

Here are his highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWz2_5iqcUg&t=238s

Reply #856879 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

Ben has done Dante and Delly a favour.
They are both out of contract and playing well in the Olympics might help their futures in the NBA.
Over to them now,I hope they nail it.

Reply #856886 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think in guards and wings we're going to be fine/pretty good. But the big man area is a concern for me. Duop Reath is no Bogut. Are we going to have to bring in an extra big man to cover for that deficit? Will we need to expect more of Jock Landale and is he up to it? Baynes is a big body but outside of Baynes I see no one with that intimidating frame that keeps guys out of the paint. I am hoping our rotations and team defense can account for that.

Reply #856891 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

Definitely a problem with Serbia and Croatia.
Maybe a faster paced game and use our depth.
Running against Nigeria I'm not so sure,better to frustrate them

Reply #856894 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I doubt if Jock will be up to the banging of bodies which Baynes and Bogut had to do game after game, and we wouldn't want him to.

We need his all-round strengths, and will need to protect him so that he can give us those throughout the campaign. If he’s battered and bruised (or even injured) should we make the medal rounds, it will make us so much less dangerous.

Reply #856896 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's really hard to know what hand we've been dealt with this team until we see them in action. They could end up being very good or they could be quite unbalanced and not really up to the job. I see ring protection as a concern though. We're probably going to be about to shoot the shit out of it, great wing defenders, question marks on ring protection. Suddenly we miss Thon Maker.

Reply #856897 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Really looking forward to seeing Thybulle on the team. Also would take Giddey for more ball handling on the bench. If not, you need to have Delly and Ingles on the court most of the time.

Reply #856898 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

I can see Giddey going,plug and play 1-3 if you need him with elite passing.
Not an athlete but could make offence special.

Reply #856899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey cannot defend or shoot yet. Give him a year ot two

Reply #856900 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I see Giddey being a lock from 2023 onwards.

Reply #856902 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I've been a bit married to the idea of having Goulding on the team but a mate put a line up to me that I kind of like -

"Baynes
Landale
Motum
Kay
Cooks

Ingles
Thybulle

Mills
Green
Delly
Exum
Giddey"

It's an athletic team, five guys over 6'10 in height. Cooks could easily be replaced by Duop Reath. It doesnt have the grunt inside that Bogut gives you but hopefully we can get it done inside by committee.

Reply #856903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey needs to be tested, don't throw him into the fire. Asia cup in 3 months.

Reply #856904 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Watching a Serbia warm up game, and I admit it's premature, but I am not overawed by what I am seeing. I am sure theyre going to be much better by the time the Olympics come but on talent and size and those raw attributes I dont feel like we'll be outclassed. Certainly I worry less about perceived size differential watching it - outside of Maranjovic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHU_UxMJ27Y

Reply #856905 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

This is why I get annoyed when posters carry on two years out with their "oh what are you some kind of idiot, "Player X" will never make the team when we have "A, B, C..."

When was the last time we had "Everyone" available?
EVERY time it comes around, players get injured, or are recovery, or make themselves unavailable for a variety of reasons.

And the irony is that it's players who have not had substantial international careers and not played NBA that are less likely to pull out. So guys like Martin, Kay, etc, DO get a shot.

Reply #856913 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

What's the argument for Cooks over any of Landale/Kay/Motum/Creek? If he;s up against wings for a spot, can he expect to beat out Thybulle? Cooks can plug holes in case of injury as he is versatile, but I'm more concerned about providing a quality 4, preferably one that can swing to 5 at times. Kay, Creek and Landale are proven recent international performers, while Motum also has experience on the A-team and is in form. Cooks shot the 3-ball at 50% this season, but that's from just 1.3 shots/game. I don't see him as the stretch threat that Motum/Kay/Landale are. Then there is Creek, who is as athletic as Cooks and can offer a mobile small-ball 4 option, while developing his 3-point shot to be up 39% this past NBL season. I only saw a couple Kings games featuring Cooks, soon after his return from injury, but Cooks didn't prove his worth in those games for me.

I see the absence of Bogut and now Humphries to be concerning. The backup 5 either falls to Reath by default, or we need one of the stretch 4s (Landale, Motum, Kay) to backup there. Suddenly we appear weak at the 5.

Reply #856941 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'm not a Goulding fan by any means, but he's proven he steps up in international basketball, here he knows he's not the man, but will take those open looks and he's become a better passer over the years along with pretty decent on court IQ. Can't see him not being in this team, all the attention will be on Mills and Ingles which leave Goulding to take wide open shots all day.

Reply #856951 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think when it comes to inside depth we need to accept that the back up bigs of most other countries arent all that impressive either. Reath will get the spot by default but he will hold down the fort while Baynes is out. Landale can shift to the 5 at times. Then you have potential small ball line ups. It's not ideal but we could make do.

As for Cooks, I like his athleticism for potentially defending the four spot. We have a reasonably athletic and switchable defensive team and I think that should be our calling card. If we're not going to have the surplus of big men we need to be good at something, and that something should be thta we are long, athletic, defensively sharp and we can shoot.

Reply #856952 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Goulding's a lock but not sure where this Exum business is coming from though?

Reply #856953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please tell me who is bad in the backup big department for the other teams...

Reply #856954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early days, but this is likely next crop for Paris and beyond.
Chuck in 1-2 vets.

Post 1995 born.
Pgs
Simmons, Exum, Giddey
Sgs
Thybulle, king, vasljevic,
Sfs
Green, Daniels, Travers
Pf's
Landale, Magnay, cooks,
Cs
Reath, maker, Humphries

Reply #856957 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"
Please tell me who is bad in the backup big department for the other teams..."

Didnt say "bad" but I think you'll find back up Euroleague center is about the pedigree of most of them outside of the US.

Reply #856960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you need to look at the rosters me. Most are current nba or former nba and now euroleague.

Reply #856961 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I can see Landale having to shoulder a fair load for this team, next to Baynes and then next to Reath. His mobility and length will be important so even if he isn't a starter I see him getting starter minutes to create as close to a twin towers situation as we can, especially seeing as we havent got much muscle inside. If you cant have much muscle, you'd better have some height.

I've flip flopped a bit on Kay but if he makes the team it wouldn't surprise me. Just seems to put himself in the right place at the right time and there is always a spot on a team for a guy like that.

I expect to see Motum make it. When you're looking for bucket-getters at any big man position he stands clearly as the best we have. He's also one of our best three point shooters as well. I think he can book his ticket.

My team at this point.

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Exum
Goulding
Thybulle
Green
Kay

Cooks/Creek/Giddey/Sobey (not too fussed but lean towards Cooks)
Reath

From 2019 you've replaced Barlow, Gliddon and Sobey with Thybulle, Green and Exum. Pretty substantial upgrade. Bogut for Reath is a fairly significant downgrade though. Cooks for Creek is like-for-like and I might even be swayed to take Creek over Cooks. Either way I think given our core and continuity we should be in the medal mix. But anything can happen. It is hard to know what a team is going to be like until you see them play, and there are enough changes here to make that still a question mark.

Reply #856962 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

To bust the Goulding is proven at FIBA myth,

Check his 2019 world cup stats

He had 1 good game V our worst opponent

Against France, Lithuania, Spain the tough opponents, over 5 games he shot 2/15 from the field.

Also check his NBL playoffs stats this season, he shot below 40 percent in 4 out of 6 games.

So yea not sure why a 32 year old shooter, who doesnt even shoot that well is a must have for the boomers.

I think its crazy to even consider picking him ahead of Giddey, because he is so called proven and ready, when Giddey isnt, Im willing to bet Giddey could get more than 2/15 shots v those teams and brings alot more to the game than Goulding and is more than ready to make the Boomers 12.

Goulding doesnt make the 12 for me, but given he is in our 16 he does make the 15 for me and only comes into the 12 if one of our guards is out injured prior to the Olympics starting, which hopefully doesnt happen.

Reply #856969 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Hmmmm...that's interesting regarding the Goulding stats, maybe it's the fact he's quite aggressive out there which helps make him pass the eye test? I wouldn't be bothered if Giddey was in instead, I feel we need to bring him into the fold earlier rather than later and it's always good to get a couple of the young future stars around now.

Reply #856971 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Captain Jack, Goulding is proven check out the couple of big games he had at the last two WC's and just to bust open your 'Goulding isn't proven' myth he also dropped 20 on Team USA in one of those warm up games here. He also just had two very good games in the 3 game NBL grand final series.

Goulding is a big game performer and when a lot of our guys go into their shells in big games he's a great option to have out there as he's cold blooded and can get his shots off over any defenders i.e. proven.

Reply #856973 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

He played too decent/good games at the world cup V our 2 weakest opponents, as i said against the good teams in 5 games he shot 2/15.

In Game 3 of the Grand finals he shot 33%, scored 14 points, with 9 in the first quarter, sure it helped get them going, but he basically did nothing after that and didnt really stop Perth getting right back in it.

He might be flashy and exciting at times, but is that really a great game, when an import like Casper Ware scored 14pts and shot 33% everyone bashes him for it.

He's im my boomers 15, but not my 12, just dont see why hes considered a must have.

Reply #856986 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"He played too decent/good games at the world cup V our 2 weakest opponents, as i said against the good teams in 5 games he shot 2/15."

Who are the two weakest opponents you refer to?

It's true he didn't offer much with his 3-point shooting in the France games and versus Spain (0/2 in each France game, 1/6 vs Spain). Imagine wthe resuly if Goulding shot the ball a little better versus Spain.

Let's look at Goulding's two highest scoring games:
vs Canada, 16pts (2pt: 4/4, 3pt: 2/3, FT: 2/3)
vs Dominican Rep, 15pts (2pt: 0/2, 3pt: 3/9, FT: 6/6)

Canada game was crucial for the Boomers to start the tournament well, something uncharacteristic for the Boomers in major tournaments. It was a great start to the tournament for Goulding. The team was down versus Dom Rep, struggled to score for parts of the game, which is why someone like Goulding is a valuable addition. He isn't just a spot up shooter, so don't just look at his 3pt performance.

Another strong games was versus Czechia: 14pts (2pt: 1/2, 3pt: 4/11). Vital scoring in this quarter-final.

His value isn't necessarily putting up high efficiency shooting, which I think he remains capable of, but producing scoring options when the team is struggling. We are not exactly loaded with shot-creating offensive threats. The Boomers play well off their system, but when that's not producing offence, someone like Goulding becomes more valuable. He has confidence and he can create his own shot.

Besides, if scoring well against lesser opponents is the criticism, don't you also want one of your bench shooting guards to be able to perform when playing minutes in the lesser games to take some load off your core players?

Reply #857061 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Further on the criticism of Goulding's shooting in the World Cup, here is a comparison from that tournament.

3-point shooting:

Ingles 26% 10/38
Delly 36% 14/39
Mills 40% 23/57
Kay 17% 1/6
Baynes 52% 11/21
Landale 47% 7/15
Creek 0% 0/2
Goulding 32% 12/37

Notice that Goulding launched nearly as many 3s as Ingles and Delly.

The main concerns with respect to Tokyo here are Baynes and Delly. Both appear to have regressed in terms of shooting. In the NBA, Baynes went from 35% down to 26% last season. Delly has gone 34%, 23%, 16% over the past 3 seasons. That's a very concerning downward slide. Ingles might be able to make up for some of it in Tokyo after his substandard shooting in the World Cup. We once again will need Mills to shoot well for the Boomers.

Reply #857069 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The thing with a guy like Goulding for the Boomers is, if he's hot you ride it, if he's not then bench him and go with a different option. When he's hot he's worth having out there.

Reply #857083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My team at this point:
There is a focus on shooting and athleticism so players like kay who doesnt tick either of those boxes will struggle to make it.
Also feel it is worthwhile to blood green and giddey as the future. Important to integrate them into the boomers culture while patty, ingles, delly, baynes etc are there so they can carry it on, and will encourage participation in future years so we dont have any more simmons situations.

Starters: for the most part pretty standard/obvious selections
Mills
Thybulle - chosen above delly as is a better defender(will be best perimeter defender at the olympics with simmons absence) and his lack of shooting is less of a problem with the rest of the starters outside shots being at least respected
Ingles:
Landale:
Baynes:

Bench: Note that bench is not a second team and never is played as a second unit as there are always starters playing with them, so each have a role rather than position.
Delly - leader coming off the bench with defense and shooting(which has regressed but will still be respected)
Exum - brings size, athleticism and defense along with a good ability to drive
Green - Defense, athleticism, shooting? and youth
Giddey - Playmaking, Size and Youth
Goulding - Shooting and shot creation as mills replacement
Reath - Length and athleticism
Motum - Shooting and experience

Miss Out:
Sobey - battling for goulding position - ultimately lost it due to goulding experience in the role
Kay - Unlucky to miss out but without knockdown shooting or lockdown defense struggled to get a spot, although not undeserving of one, much like everyone that missed out tbh
Cooks - had the athleticism and next big in line but prioritised shooting of motum and shot blocking of reath. Means there would be a need for small ball line ups
Creek - unlucky to miss out but spot was given to younger players as neither a particularly reliable shooter, but is a good defender

Reply #857130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#130 I'm not a Reath fan, but I think the rest makes a lot sense. Motum has had a great season in Europe, should balance the squad nicely.

Reply #857137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay and cooks both missing out, don't think so.

Reply #857138 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Goulding's weak defence will make him a target for attacking and drawing fouls as soon as he steps on the court.

I can’t see him getting too many minutes unless the others cover for him on 'd’, which top teams will punish us for. If we have enough other good shooters, then we can afford to leave him at home and blood some youth

Reply #857140 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Goulding has improved his defence significantly under Vickerman. He's no lockdown defender but he keeps his man honest now.

Reply #857155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think this team is a medal chance, no one can cover Boguts contribution.
Gliddon, Barlow and Sobey dnp much at all in the WC. Yes we have upgraded on Gliddon and Barlow but not enough offensively.

Add
Simmons has chosen not to play to work on skills
Cotton is injured
Maker has chosen not to play to work on skills
Humphries is injured
Broekhoff is dealing with his mental health
Bolden has seemingly given up basketball and is now into cryptocurrency.
Magnay regressed and needs to regain form.
Adel regressed and needs to regain form.
Wmw, Mccarron, Norton don’t offer enough.

All these guys were peoples potentials at the start of the season to make Tokyo and now only 16 remain. Most guys have legit reason to opt out. Simmons and maker for me are the 2 that need this tournament and they have turned away.

I’m thinking a 5-6 finish.

Reply #857163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other teams...
Focus all ya attention on defending mills and they will struggle.

Reply #857165 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Other teams...
Focus all ya attention on defending mills and they will struggle."

Yeah they got that memo years ago. What's changed? It's not like we had all these offensive weapons that have suddenly disappeared now. This has always been Patty's team and as of yet, they've not stopped him. What Bryce Cotton is to the NBL, Patty Mills is to FIBA.

"I don't think this team is a medal chance, no one can cover Boguts contribution.
Gliddon, Barlow and Sobey dnp much at all in the WC. Yes we have upgraded on Gliddon and Barlow but not enough offensively."

Bogut's contribution will have to be done by committee. I admit it's hard to gauge our medal prospects but I am not counting them out just yet. The Boomers wont be the only team hampered with injuries and pull outs. We still have the core that has taken us there. We have more athleticism than we've ever had. I think it's a case of just seeing how they play together.

"Goulding has improved his defence significantly under Vickerman. He's no lockdown defender but he keeps his man honest now."

Goulding proved at the world cup that she can defend admirably for short bursts. He's not going to be playing that many minutes so I don't think his 'average' defense will be a big hinderance.

"The thing with a guy like Goulding for the Boomers is, if he's hot you ride it, if he's not then bench him and go with a different option. When he's hot he's worth having out there."

This I agree with.

Reply #857183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like boomers Tokyogroup will not have croatia and also Serbia is lookin shaky.
Could be Brazil or Germany, Nigeria and maybe Serbia

Reply #857349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754