Anonymous
Years ago

Today 3 Years Ago: Basketbrawl

One of the most notorious days in Basketball history to reflect upon. The Boomers stepped up to defend themselves against injustice. Will the boomers ever play the Phillipines again?

Topic #48837 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Years ago

Disappointingly Phillipines lost another Olympic qualifier today and won't make it.
An Olympic rematch would've been awesome.

Reply #857710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injustice? Hate to wreck your fantasy, but not everybody in that dressing room post brawl was ecstatic with Kickert.

Reply #857711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is some very tiny brains around here. It's not a great day for either team. Go back to your cage fighting for entertainment.

Reply #857725 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Wonder what Thon Maker is up to nowadays.

Reply #857727 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The Philippines really seemed to take special offense to the tearing of sponsor logos. Maybe the Boomers should have asked first...

Either way, I think what followed the brawl from the Philippines was frankly sickening. The coach of the team was the owner of some media outlet as well, and they did a full "expose" episode, claiming Goulding was calling players "monkeys".

Now as much of an idiot as I think Goulding can be, I am not sure the Boomers are going around calling people monkeys while they have an African player standing next to them who could easily take offense too.

Then there was the immediate photoshoot the Philippines took. It really went to show what level of people we're dealing with here. Basically street thugs first, and average basketball players second.

But there was little contrition at all from the Philippines for this. You might be able to argue about Kickert's elbow - and yes he was an absolute fuckwit for it - but I don't think you can argue about players smacking Goulding and Sobey in the head with chairs, and with their coaching staff getting involved as well.

And what punishments were meted out for this? Wrist slaps at best. The World Cup will still be held in the Philippines and everyone went about their lives.

This brawl could have had tragic consequences for Goulding, and for other players. I can't help but feel the punishment might have been a bit more substantial had Australia been the ones jumping off the bench to throw chairs.

Anyway, the clock has ticked on for three whole years. Some of the animosity appears to be slowly dying down. The Adelaide 36ers have picked up Kai Satto. And life seems to return to normal. The Philippines basketball team seems to be improving and have moved on from the local warlord they called a coach a few years ago.

But I do think any clash between these countries in future will be pretty firey.

Reply #857732 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Well said ME.

And I think it's well understated also that the referees on the game were woefully incompetent. If they'd cracked down on the Philippines sneaky chippy shit earlier in the game, it's likely the sad saga never would've occurred.

Reply #857735 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The long-term positive out of this is we now have a heated regional rivalry. Let's face it being in FIBA Asia has been pretty boring overall outside of the incident.

Philippines carry a huge inferiority complex about themselves for as much as they love the sport of basketball they aren't very good at it. They brought this with them going into their first game on home soil against the Boomers. They started it but we will continue it every time we trounce them by running up the score purposely in future games.

Reply #857740 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think if the Philippines had proper professional talent they would have been more serious about the game and conducted themselves as such. When you're not really a side made up of professionals, it’s easy to be thuggish and take the piss.

The reality is, the "basketbrawl" took the attention and covered over the fact they got completely smacked on the scoreboard. They should have had a hard look at themselves and thought “you know what, we need to get our act together, we are an embarrassing sideshow”.

When Australian cricketers started delving into dumb, stupid behaviour, I think that turned a lot of Australians off because we expect them to take things seriously and not act like bafoons, we deserve better. In the same token the Philippines deserved better than the mockery their team produced.

Reply #857751 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Good post ME - was not a great day for basketball.

Reply #857874 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754