Daniel Felmingham
Years ago

Duop Reath likely home in 2021/22?

I'm just interested to hear where Duop Reath is likely to play in 2021/22,I think a team would be looking at paying around $400,000 for Reath considering how good he is.

Topic #48839 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackjumpers reported frontrunner

Reply #857738 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I thought he was doing reasonable (off the bench) in Serbia? Some reports also said that he got a contract extension when he was promoted to the senior team.

Perth definitely interested if he returns to Australia, and he has previously said he wants to come home to Perth.

Reply #857739 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If JJs get him that's a game changer for them. That’d be huge - hope they can grab him!

Reply #857744 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Would be a great get for the Cats, running out of import spots though, good problem to have I guess.

Reply #857761 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Hawks in the mix too

Reply #857764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's the most sort after big, 6 teams want him.

Reply #857765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns, illawara, Perth, tassie, sem, Melbourne.

Reply #857766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks well in the mix, have the $$ and Goorj as Aussie coach has put them in front

Reply #857770 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

You would think Illawarra would be front runners with the Australian coach there?

Will wait and see...

Reply #857776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth-home
Jjs or United or cairns - money

Reply #857780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would not be getting to excited, he never got time in any meaningful game, yes he was on the bench a lot. Maybe the coach had a problem with him, but his playing time was limited to easy win games.

Reply #857786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's likely the best local big in the league outside of Landale, people have no clue.
Perth wanted him but the offer was bigger in Europe. People still don’t know what he can do yet he has several teams willing to pay him 400k+

Reply #857787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope jjs get him.

Illawara will have the other Gak I think, Gorjok + akoldah
Melbourne can afford anyone.
Perth have Mooney most likely.
Sem could also afford a center.

Reply #857789 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think anyone can gauge how good he is. I think we can assume that because he didn't get minutes on one team, he didn't fit into the way they played, and obviously wasnt their best option. That doesn't mean he can't be the best option on another team that plays a different way.

I think if we look at his tools, he's a reasonably big, athletic body who can shoot the three, get up around the ring, gets a lot of blocks coming off weak-side D. A lot of teams in the NBL could use his skill set.

The Perth Wildcats, who know a thing or two about recruitment, have looked to put some big offers to him so they clearly see what he can do.

He probably legitimately would be the best Australian big in the league assuming Landale goes elsewhere. I mean, who else do we really have?

Let's bare in mind the Boomers voted for him above Landale in recent cuts.

Reply #857790 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

And by Landale, I meant Magnay lol

Reply #857791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our big depth problem in Aus is overreaction.

We have
Baynes likely only 1-2 seasons left.

But... if you just look at young pf/center depth
97 6'10 J.Hunter
98 6’10 W.Magnay
95 6’11 J.Landale
96 6’11 D.Reath
96 6’11 G.Gak
98 6’11 I.Humphries
98 6’11 D.Gak
00 6’11 M.Maker
02 6’11 A.Gak
03 6’11 B.Dengdit
04 6’11 Y.Yaak
97 7’0 T.Maker
02 7’1 H.Wessels
Etc

Tellin me we won’t have atleast 2-3 quality guys from this list over next few years?

Reply #857793 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

My concern is more how we're going to do inside in Tokyo. I am sure someone will emerge before 2023/24 but what are we bringing this year? I hope Duop Reath is as good as the Wildcats thought

Reply #857794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not Bogut but we have depth in other positions.

Reply #857795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he makes the squad, we will get some idea of how's going. It was only ever rumours that Perth wanted him, when Gleeson or Goorj pick him and I see him play is when I’ll be convinced. Maker, Adel and others have never lived up to the hype.

Reply #857800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most likely Perth. With Mooney gone they are in need of a good Center.

Reply #857830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney isn't gone.

Reply #857831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#800 do please explain how maker hasn't "lived up to the hype" when he’s never been in the nbl

Reply #857833 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

He was contracted in Serbia, but had been playing for their lower affiliate. He came home to Perth and spent a lot of time with the Wildcats.

There was talk of him getting out of his contract, but instead he was elevated to the "Senior" team. Presumably better money than previous seasons, and I don't know if there was ever a realistic chance of him joining the Cats.

Perth are definitely chasing a local Starting Centre.
However the challenge is that Trev typically only wants to play them around 20 minutes. I haven't seen enough of Reath to know if he could break that mould.
It then stands to reason that all other things being equal, a team wanting a 30 minute starter would offer not just better opportunity but better money.

The other thing to consider is that Reath could well be commanding Marquee money, or close to. Perth won't want to haemorrhage too much tax, and if Cotton naturalises he'll be their 1st Marquee. To treat another as Marquee, they need to stay with two imports, which I suspect they'd be happy to do. But you never know.

Reply #857837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker was talked up as a future nba star, if my memory is right went pick 10. Other than the odd moment of decent play has been bench sitting or out of work. He was the future of Australia, he still might be, though there is a lot of disputing his age. If his age is correct it's not all lost but nothing has happened to even go anywhere the media hype he’s had.

Reply #857844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker was always viewed as project, pretty sure the only person that said anything of high expectations was Garnett lol. While he hasn't done anything of note for the boomers being apart of 2 nba playoff rotations I think is a pretty good effort, much better than a lot of other Aussies. Let’s not fall into the trap of of thinking if someone hasn’t played for the boomers at a wc or Olympic level or nbl level they aren’t that good.

In regards to Reath he’ll be a quality starting centre in the nbl if not the best then certainly one of the 2-3, you don’t get to be on good euro teams and not be a good player. Even being over there in the first place is a really good sign

Reply #857851 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Heading to Illawara according to Olgun

Reply #858080 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's fantastic - Hawks is a great landing spot.

Hopefully Magnay lands at Tassie, Humphries stays in Adelaide, Mooney stays in Perth, Landale in Melbourne in addition to what Sydney and NZ already have.

Imagine that spread of talented bigs!

Obviously as an Adelaide fan I’d love someone like Magnay to join 36ers, but you always want a super competitive league not a few super teams and it’s looking like there should be a good spread of talent throughout the league.

Reply #858084 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yep, Magnay reported to sign with JJ's.

Reply #858098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the way we should look at cats recruiting strategy Who is out of contract , semi-retired and no one else wants and lets hire them.

This was last years strategy. I had hoped with new ownership we would see big names recruited from Australian Talent.

Reply #858112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a signing for the Hawks trade for getting boomers spot

Reply #858118 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The conspiracy theories are a bit dumb and annoying. 'Oh is it a trade for the Boomers spot?'

Be realistic. How many other centres were left in the squad? Your answer - two. There were two centers available to be picked for the Boomers.

I am sure no one needed to pull Goorjian's leg to select a second center for the Boomers. It goes without saying.

As for signing him to the Hawks, well if you think someone is a good player, you might seek to sign them. Clearly he thinks Reath is a good player.

No mystery to unravel here.

Reply #858120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes in cairns could be a possibility.

Reply #858122 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Lemanis picked his favs so Goorj can do it if he wants, signature Boomers.

Reply #858124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes to his hometown after sucky nba season. He's turning 35 so he is near the end of nba career.

Reply #858125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when does the taipans move back home

Reply #858127 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well Goorjian is known for a little bit of nepotism. Luke Kendall and Russell Hinder at the 2006 worlds anyone? I'll eat my hat if we didnt have better options than them at the time.

Regardless, there isnt anything shady about signing Reath as far as I can tell.

Reply #858131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hinder was a horror pick for international basketball. When Turkey overran us in the second half with two bigs playing high-low, we had Hinder sitting on the bench and Ben Pepper sitting in his loungeroom.

Kendall was at least a quality NBL player at that point who could provide coverage at point guard in case of injury. He should have actually been played more, CJ Bruton got run into the ground in that tournament after dominating early in the piece.

Reply #858134 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

when does the Taipans move back home

Back at the Convention Centre when the season starts. All ready to roll.

Reply #858137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow and AJ would be good for the jj as backups

Reply #858139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754