Anonymous
Years ago

Giddey cut from Boomers squad: Beston

Karl Beston has reported on Twitter that Josh Giddey has been cut from the Boomers squad.

https://twitter.com/karlbeston/status/1410980573330296838

Topic #48843 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karl Beston, lol.

Giddey getting cut would be no surprise though.

Reply #857860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised. I thought normally you take at least you guy for the future, especially one that appears as good as Giddey.

Reply #857861 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is that the same guy who called Norton to the JackJumpers the day before he re-signed at Perth?

Reply #857862 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Karl Beston

Who?

Although I do recognise one name in the replies - the one and only Clint Dogg.

Reply #857864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a good choice, he needs 3 years of development, he can’t defend or shoot. This is a level above nbl

Reply #857865 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd still like him there to be around the team and rooming with team mates etc, make him pay his dues early as he will have the keys soon enough... I thought Delly was selected too early but many world cups and Olympics later, I couldn't have been more wrong so it's hard not to advocate for a young bloke at the end of the bench

Reply #857866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green is a young bloke, he's only 20.y.o and like 20 months older than Giddey.
Giddey has lots of flaws and has never faced opponents higher than nbl level.

Reply #857868 | Report this post

kArL bEsToN  
Years ago

Well done Kar, nice Twitter followers down are they?

Reply #857869 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Karl carries a mouth guard on him at all times on the off chance he'll bump into Andrew. Best be prepared.

Reply #857872 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I get pissed off with the whole "blooding for the future" stuff. You do that when your goal is to make it to the quarter final. If you genuinely believe you're a medal chance you don't waste spots on kids for development. I mean, what development will he have at the Olympics that he wont be having in the NBA? I doubt he'll play an NBA season or three before the next tournament and be like "hold on a second. I need to re-learn how to play basketball now, because I haven't done the Olympics before. Is the hoop the same height?!?"

If I had to choose between Josh Giddey and Josh Green for a spot, it'd go to Josh green every day right now. Giddey has an extremely bright future but he can't defend a pine cone and can't shoot. He's going to the NBA as a project and the Boomers don't have time to develop a project. Josh Green has more he can give you as of today, albeit in a different role.

With the likelihood that Giddey has been cut (and Olgun seems to think so, whose word I put more stock into) suddenly Sobey looks like he's made the team. This is because you have two main point guards in Delly and Dante, and I doubt Mills is playing point. It's hard to imagine a situation where there is no third point guard. And although Nathan Sobey doesn't scream "world class point guard", he can surely off-set some ball handling duties when needed, and has the ability to potentially take on a scoring load. I've heard somewhere that Sobey has had a great camp, and it wouldn't surprise me if he snuck a spot because of this.

Reply #857878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, with me, whoever thinks like that is stupid. Especially with all, the qualification games and other tournaments in lead up.

Reply #857879 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Agree too, if it was between Giddey and Green then Green all day.

Reply #857880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green plays day in day out against nba players and get 5 mins a game in the nba.
Giddey is just a prospect, he may be a complete bust, he cant defend, he's not quick, he can’t shoot. He has little hops both at the rim and on his jumpers. Atm we know he has good size, 6’8-6’9 and good vision plus ambidextrous passing.

Reply #857881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Karl carries a mouth guard on him at all times on the off chance he'll bump into Andrew. Best be prepared."

What does this mean

Reply #857883 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

he may be a complete bust, he cant defend, he's not quick, he can't shoot.

They said all the same things about Magic Johnson. I'm not saying Giddey will be as good as him but he will be a star in the NBA, you can't teach his vision and passing ability which sets him apart from most of the guys in the NBA.

Reply #857885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can guess all you like, anthony Bennett was the next Lebron and what happened.
We won't know a thing until months after his drafted.

Reply #857886 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

What a kid might do tomorrow doesnt put points on the scoreboard today...

Reply #857888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, the blooding for the future isn't as ridiculous as it may sound. We’ve heard the likes of bogut, mills, ingles and delly all say how important it was to be involved at younger ages so next go around they are firmly prepared. It’s more of the whole integrating the young guys into the boomers culture. Not saying you take like 3-4 young guys, but especially under the lemanis run it was a decent point when people brought up, 'what’s the point in picking 2-3 guys who won’t play in the tournament and who’ll never be a major part of the boomers, when instead you bring a young guy to help them learn from the vets of the program.’ It came across a lot of the time of lemanis trying to squeeze nbl guys in and say some rhetoric for people to buy into with ‘this isn’t an all star team’ and was often demeaning towards younger players when he’d say things like ‘doesn’t understand the system’ when it’s his job to teach them. Other then coming up short (sometimes his fault, sometimes not) I think what BA was probably more concerned about was unless you were starter quality, Lemanis had very little time for younger players. It was one of the first things you saw goorj go on about when getting the job about how important it is to ingrain the young guys, which considering bogut has been on record as saying he was basically begging goorj to take mills in 06 for that purpose, I think he’s seen the error he once made and is choosing to not repeat it. It won’t ruin a young guys career by any means, but considering how Simmons hasn’t played for the boomers yet, it’s a decent point to bring up, if he take him in 14, then we’re not worrying about his commitment now. Ultimately at a national tournament teams end up playing 10 guys max, so there’s no harm in bringingat least 1 young player.

When it comes to giddey, unfortunately delly, and exum have the pg spots taken, and then mills and ingles will still do a good chunk of ball handling, and when going with take a young guy, green will take that spot as he’s just better and won’t need the ball in his hands to be effective, whereas giddey depends on that.

Reply #857891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, neither did gliddon, sobey, or Barlow^ (In terms of doing so in meaningful minutes)

Reply #857892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the olympics though, why not asia cup, WC qualifiers?

Reply #857893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#893 same reason you don't only use preseason for development, you don’t have to play the younger guy or 2, but for them to be there in that big stage at a wc or olympics is a great experience in general and to be apart of the boomers program as been told by the likes of ingles, mills and delly

Reply #857894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And which young guy did the USA take for experience? Or France? Or anyone...

Reply #857896 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Giddey has a bright future and also has a draft to focus on.

Reply #857897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks culture is instilled within a space of 6-8 games should not be around the team.
If goorj thought that, he'd be chosen. I’m grateful his not an idiot.

Giddey is reserve and will travel with the side.

Reply #857898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You take best available, if Giddey has not performed that well at the camp as well as others he's out. No point taking him, if an injury happens the bench guys have to fill the spot.

Reply #857899 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I get pissed off with the whole "blooding for the future" stuff."
ROFL

So look at guys like Green, Thybulle, and say Reath.
Imagine if we'd taken them (or players like them) to Beijing instead of the Lemanis' fanbois???

Nobody's suggesting we play Giddey in front of anybody who might actually contribute, and truth be told for now it still looks like a solid squad. But if it came down to a choice between Giddey and another Gliddon (or 2019) Sobey, I'd be picking the former. (Even 2012 SObey I'm not completely sold on at Olympic level, but that's Goorjian's call.)

And keep in mind that it goes both ways. Let the kid represent his country this year, and maybe in 3 and 7 years he returns the favour

Reply #857900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France and the US have always had typically better on paper teams then us so there was no need for them to do so (from there perspective). But just discredit the words of our current boomer core they're opinions mean nothing apparently #896

So that 8-6 games is what like 2 weeks roughly throw in the training and whatnot before hand is a good amount of time. Or the likes of our current boomer core and what they say means nothing and instead let’s keep bringing the likes of martin, lisch, gliddon etc for them to only sit on the bench and then the nbl to put out a press statement about 'woah we have 5 nbl players in the team’ just to give the league a pat on the back like it’s a small child #898

Reply #857901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point dazz, if we take Simmons in 2014 then we likely don't have the hassle we do now with him, you don’t have to like it but that’s the reality these days in terms of returning the favour, and ultimately we want our best guys there

Reply #857902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aus Boomers Instagram have been putting things since the camp started and they just posted a video of a scrimmage and giddey is still there. Unless it's from a few days ago then he hasn’t been cut. I will say tho looking at all the pics and videos I haven’t really seen creek, whether he was cut or just unlucky to not get a good camera shot idk

Reply #857903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cut doesn't mean leave. They all,stay there.

Reply #857904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey will be going to Vegas with the team as a backup in case someone gets injured

Reply #857909 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Mouth guards assist in protecting your teeth and gums from impact. They've been around for a while now, maybe you’ve never played contact sports...

Reply #857910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said Mitch creek photos removed from boomers Instagram is this true

Reply #857912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe has something to do with drug texts.

Reply #857913 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If there was a spot for a development player, Giddey would fit the bill. Young, high iq, promising future, versatile enough to play 1-3. That's good 12th man material. But I can understand this is a highly competitive group with players experienced at higher levels. Who do you cut in his place? An NBA-ready 20 year old 3andD swingman? A now veteran, albeit injury-plagued, NBA player with elite D? A confident sharpshooting veteran coming off a near-finals MVP NBL performance? Or a combo guard coming off a near NBL MVP season? If Giddey isn't showing he deserves a spot on the team from camp, does he deserve it in front of these guys?

I see there are 5, maybe 6, guard/swingman spots available. Mills, Delly, Ingles. Locks. Then it comes down to Exum, Green, Goulding, Sobey and Giddey for 2, maybe 3, spots.

Reply #857914 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Squad announced.
Creek and Giddey out.
Kay in.

Reply #857917 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Olympics is not for development. Best 12 should go. Development is for the minor tournaments and qualifiers. He will still benefit for being in camp

Reply #857921 | Report this post

Reath > Hawks  
Years ago

Great by Goorj, Reath is a Hawk

Reply #857922 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I screwed up my numbers above, and left out Thybulle. Expecting 6 , probably 7 guards/swingmen seems reasonable, but I really didn't expect the 8 that Goorj has selected.

Reply #857934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Giddey feature in the warmup games? My understanding he was never going to Olympics but was to play the warm games as his pre-workout prior to draft.

Reply #858537 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754