Anonymous
Years ago

Magnay leaves Perth

Any idea where he's headed? To United to replace Landale?

Topic #48852 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania

Reply #857975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United, cairns, tassie, sem. 1 of them.

Reply #857978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Perth had no interest in bringing him back which is surprising given he was playing injured. I thought with a full preseason under his belt and in better physical shape they could get him rejuvenated but they had no interest in bringing him back

Reply #857980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why when they have import spots open or Reath.

Reply #857981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't a great fit for the system?

Reply #857982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fat Magnay was half the man thin Magnay was.

Reply #857983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry beefy Magnay.

Reply #857984 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Unfortunately we didn't see the best of him in his Perth stint.
With 3 imports his position is replaceable.
Hodgson, Reath and Humphries all remain unsigned.

Reply #857987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would have a big price tag with him at guess, ex nba on regime seems to do that, even though he really didn't play much. He would be good at United, vickerman runs a more up tempo style.

Reply #857992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under popovic too at United, get him lean n mean again.

Reply #857993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure he wasn't overweight but he was playing with bone Spurs wasn’t he? I thought before coming over he elected to not have surgery which in hindsight may not have been a good choice

Reply #857994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not overweight but the pels stated they wanted to build his upper body to make him stronger at the center position. Unfortunately with some athletes it effects other parts the game. Speed, mobility, athleticism etc and it showed on will + injury. Look at his upper body brisbane when he left and Perth when he came back

Reply #857998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said he was 8-10kg heavier.

Reply #857999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Gossage reports that Magnay and steindl "almost certain" to join Tasmania

Reply #858006 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not surprised. It may be unfair since people are claiming he was injured but Magnay came in as a late season spark and didn't really do much. There was no Norton-like grit from this dude.

Reply #858008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats cupboard is looking very bare, I can almost see another season with lack of depth coming up. If Wagstaff retires it looks even worse.

Reply #858012 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Magnay and Steindl aren't two players needed anyway.

Reply #858017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said Tasmania in the second post. Perth also had zero interest in bringing back the big fella. They will go after an local Aussie who played in Europe this past season

Reply #858018 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Not sure he's the type you would want to "spend big" on. Solid highlight reels but doesn’t seem to have developed many moves in the post or a consistent shot from range. I’d say his best position may be at the 4, run the floor + provide rim protection with a more accomplished 5 taking the low post offensive focus.

Reply #858022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And he trains with them.

Reply #858024 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

We should expect a bit of dilution with another team being added. There's another $1m+ available for players. Magnay and Steindle are the kind of players who could benefit from this.

If 3 imports are allowed, it should help compensate for the dilution.

Reply #858029 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Perth don't have bottomless pockets.
On the whole they still need to look to break-even, and even turn a small profit in the good years.
They are planning on Cotton Naturalising and becoming their 1st Marquee. They're not looking to spend marquee money on a 2nd player, unless he really brings something.

Magnay can play the 4 or 5 role, which did make him a good fit for the starting Centre role under Trev's system. But not a good fit for the starting PF role, which is where Trev generally likes to have one of his big guns. WHich means he was probably always going to be offered more money and a bigger role elsewhere.

It's hard to speculate on Reath. Don't know if he's heading back, don't know how much he wants, or how badly he wants to be home in Perth.

Thing is, if you're going to pay somebody else marquee money, then they probably want to stick with only 2 imports, so realistically just chasing a 3rd import to fill the role makes almost as much sense.

If Mooney returns or Trev otherwise gets his gun starting PF, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Hunt or Plums type 20 minute import.

It's a pity we never got to see much of Ferg, as he has a big rap at the lower levels.

Reply #858036 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Ferguson is eligible for another year of DP.

Reply #858038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if Magnay signed to Adelaide.

Reply #858039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It may be unfair since people are claiming he was injured but Magnay came in as a late season spark and didn't really do much. There was no Norton-like grit from this dude."

He showed a lot more grit defending Landale than John Mooney did!

Reply #858040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth don't have bottomless pockets." Since when? You pay Cotton $600k and you are seriously deluded if you don't think Perth don't have bottomless pockets.

Reply #858043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Perth don't have bottomless pockets." Since when? You pay Cotton $600k and you are seriously deluded if you don't think Perth don't have bottomless pockets."

Not anymore - Bendat has sold to SEN.

Reply #858056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a lot of big names left in the free agency market. I am preparing to be disappointed again with lacklustre recruiting depth. Jervis. white were recruited from the couch and credit to White for doing what he did but Jervis wouldnt have got a gig anywhere else.

I wouldnt be re-signing Majok Majok either - 3-4 minutes a game is a wasted slot.

Reply #858058 | Report this post

Anoon  
Years ago

Have faith in Trev. He's got a bit of form on the board. Just sorting out the chaff from the hay now. My guess is that Trev will test the depth of the SEN pockets. No spuds this time.

Reply #858059 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Did SEG perhaps talk Gleeson out of going to Japan by agreeing to a higher budget for the squad? That would be nice.

Reply #858062 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Not a lot of big names left in the free agency market. I am preparing to be disappointed again with lacklustre recruiting depth. Jervis. white were recruited from the couch and credit to White for doing what he did but Jervis wouldnt have got a gig anywhere else.

Jervis? Are you dumb. the wildcats pulled him out of three year retirement to plug in till cotton naturalised and plumlee could come back. He was only meant to be back for 2-4 weeks. They managed fine with no depth this season for the most part

Reply #858063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson gets it done, he'll know who and when to get.

Reply #858065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they managed fine with no depth they would of beat Melbourne in one game of the grand final. This way we basically handed them the cup in one of the most uninteresting grand finals in history.

Reply #858066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Wani return?

Reply #858067 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Trev spends money when he needs to. Cottons salary was bumped up to allow for the covid discount, and in full expectation that he would become a Marquee. Sure he's paid a lot, but then again he's also the best player in the league, year after year.
If Mooney wants to buy in, and sign a multi-year deal, Trev will find the money, just as he did for Norton. But you're nuts if you think Perth is paying overs.
The Wildcats mostly do a good job of finding guys that will buy into the culture. Even when Kay was recruited, the Wildcats only matched the dollars he was offered elsewhere and left the decision up to him.

If Magnay gets back to full fitness and gets in a good pre-season, he'll be a fantastic addition to any team, and best of luck to him.

Trev likes Reath, and if he wants to come home to Perth, Trev will make it happen. But I'm not holding my breath.

And I have to say, after what he achieved with Blanch and White, I will applaud anyone Trev recruits, even Froling.

Reply #858072 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gleeson doesn't find or spend any money, that's not his job.

Reply #858074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath signed with the Illawara Hawks,

Reply #858078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you are deluded if you think Perf doesn't pay overs D2.0!

Reply #858086 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Olgun Ulic reporting to JJ's

Reply #858090 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

How legit is Olgun?

Reply #858095 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Saying Olgun isn't legit is like saying people don’t need water.

Reply #858102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow with Reath signing in his non-home town looks to be another bungled preseason for the cats.

Reply #858109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, they in a great position, they still have 2 import spots.

Reply #858110 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Cheers Anon #102 my post wasn't an accusation it was a question. So your answer is that he is legit.

Reply #858111 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Huge news from Oluc. Will look fwd to Magnay with another year's development- is he the next Matt Hodgson, or the next Aussie to the NBA? Based on this year the former but the hype is the latter.

And Reath, Euroleague guy to NBL, great coup for NBL and Goorj.

Quality Aussies keep getting snapped up. Really really hope United can sign Humphries.

Reply #858113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is the riskiest big on the market, we constant injury troubles I wouldn't be lining up to hire him. He is not even that old to have the injuries he has had.

Reply #858114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson also could go to Japan.

Reply #858115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like Magnay to JJ is true he is following them on instagram

Reply #858182 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"And you are deluded if you think Perf doesn't pay overs D2.0!"

ROFL
You don't seem to have any comprehension of what "paying overs" actually means.

Paying Overs, by definition, means paying more than something is worth, for the same thing. In this case, paying a higher than "market" salary to a player.

Why would Perth have to pay more?? Perth offer better facilities, better coaching, practically a guarantee of playing finals, and a better than even chance of winning a ring. Why would a player demand MORE money to play there?

Obviously they can pay more for their players than say Cairns, but that just means better on average players. Sending More isn't the same as paying overs.

Reply #858218 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754