Anonymous
Years ago

Canadian basketball team does not qualify for Olympics

Knocked out by Czech Republic. Could have been an absolute powerhouse.

Topic #48856 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best players didn't show for Oqt. No team play. Czech no stars but play great together.

Reply #858140 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah this is a bit of a shock but it just proves a champion team can beat a team of champions.

Canada should have been a medal contender, but they just got out-played. This can happen to anyone on any day in international basketball so it pays to play hard and be humble.

A lot of armchair analysts on Twitter asking how a team of NBA players lost to a team with one NBA player. Well how many times has that happened now? It's going to keep happening. Why? Because the NBA doesn't have the monopoly on every good basketball player, ever good coach and every good basketball idea on the planet.

The sooner American's/Canadians and others realize that, the more prepared they'll be.

Reply #858142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now there is a key, TEAM.

Reply #858145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers are now second in Olympics odds

Reply #858147 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Where does it say that?

Reply #858149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bookmaker that has Australia as 2nd favourite is clueless

Reply #858151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women
USA -1250
Australia +1000
France +2000
Spain +2500
Serbia +3000
Canada +3500
Belgium +4000
China +10000
Japan +10000
Nigeria +25000

Men
USA -305
Serbia +800
Spain +800
France +1700
Australia +2500
Greece +2500
Lithuania +2500

Reply #858152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women will change, Serbia second favourite. France third.

Men, Spain second, France third.

Reply #858153 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ooof, Canada.

Reply #858154 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

The emphasis in the NBA is on iso play and individual stars. The emphasis in Euroleague is more on the team.

Why should we be surprised when a group of NBA players with few superstars loses to a Euro TEAM?

Reply #858155 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Not really interested in what the bookies think. When are they right? Yeah, everyone thinks USA is first but outside of that anything can happen. Same bookies put that Canada win in the bag

Reply #858158 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Shows you that NBA talent means nothing @canadabasketball. Too many 3's and no attention to the defensive end. You guys can’t expect to win games when half of your players haven’t even played together. You need a core group of players who play together on a regular basis. Biggest choke of a nation, sorry.

Rather have Greece in the Olympics when Giannis is back from the NBA finals.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Australia didn’t qualify in this Fiba Tournament. It’s a tough way going out.

Reply #858161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sportsbet have Australia as second

Reply #858162 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

If Australia play as a team with heat and soul. Anything is possible with our group. Boomers do usually well in Fiba tournaments because our team is a mix of players around the world. That explains why Canada doesn't do well. They don’t have enough Fiba experience as other teams. Let’s hope the boomers can at least get medal this time and not get cheated by the refs like the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Reply #858164 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

People the NBA is the 20-20 cricket of basketball. Olympics/FIBA ball is test cricket. Different games.

Would you be surprised if a decent Test team beat a collection of mid-level 20-20 stars ?

Reply #858168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before any of the nba hate boners get going keep in mind this wasn't a usa situation from 19. Out of the 12 guys playing, 8 are in the nba and from those 8, really on wiggins, barrett, dort and powell would be considered good nba players the rest are just on a roster really not providing anything. So no superstars and this certainly isn’t a team of nba players, along with multiple much better players not playing, young team for the most part, inexperienced at the fiba level from both a player and coaching perspective, honestly this loss isn’t all that surprising.

If you simply look at the rosters on paper you might be shocked but once you actually dive into everything it makes sense

Reply #858187 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

If you look at it, It all makes sense. This is why all us geniuses predicted the Czechs to get through.

Not real NBA players, just guys on rosters. In Australian, that translates to Mills, Baynes, Exum, Delly, Green ...

Reply #858194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are you saying if we were in the same position we wouldn't qualify nostra

Reply #858195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah yes mills Nostra a guy who's been in his nba teams rotation since 2012 roughly has been providing nothing, exum and delly injured, and baynes till this year and green a rookie you’ve really outdone yourself again. Idk what’s worse that or you trying to claim one of the the most respected national nba journalist was a local journo doing Simmons a favour essentially.

Reply #858197 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

It's Nostraballmus here people who knows what I’m saying :)

Looking at the roster through one lens you could argue the Boomers are well balanced. If nothing else their nba boys should all be hungry, all will want to prove themselves

If the Goorj can get them firing who knows what they could do - you’d certainly rate them equal to the Czechs but can they outSpain Spain, Argies, France.

Maybe Goorj’s small ball madness 5 guard lineups and full court pressure for 40 mins will work just like it does at 16s level it’s worth a try, Sato and the boys at least certainly struggled this morning against it when Canada got desperate and put their ball carriers in the Dorture Chamber.

It’s going to be great to see them try. Olympics/Worlds is the best ball on the planet.

Reply #858209 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

We wont know until we see it in action. it's clear that Goorjian has geared this team to a particular playstyle rather than trying to be a jack of all trades, so the team just has to commit to that style now and let the chips fall where they may. It's not unheard of for a slightly undersized yet dogged team to succeed in FIBA basketball. we have long guards and forwards and we do have a little size at center but just not the kind of depth we've traiditonally had.

I am not going to throw away the baby with the bath water and say our medal shot is dead but I also wont be making any assumption as to where we will end up. We have the talent to potentially do it but there is a lot of ball to play between then and now.

Best thing is we have a little time. if in the warm ups we prove too small, we can pick up Motum and drop one of Sobey or Goulding. If we need another ball handler, we still have Giddey. if it's athleticism at 3/4 we can get Cooks. We are not locked in and we will get to have those options on the table.

Reply #858211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We do know what you're going to say and it’s always garbage

Reply #858212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typically from nostradumbass it's always tries to make a funny or decent point, gets told he’s an idiot, then tries to satire his way out of it

Reply #858213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typically outside of the us and canada people tend to care more about the Olympics (from a basketball player perspective) than the nba so I highly doubt the nba players from Canada really felt the need to prove something when they're already getting millions

Reply #858215 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Happy to be told I'm an idiot people. it’s just an opinion like yours. At least I have a name and own my opinion not like you Anons calling me an idiot from the safety of your anonymity.

The more I think about the Boomers line up the more I like Thybulle as an X factor. Watching Dort run the opposition ragged despite being ultimately futile makes me think ol’Thisse making a menace of himself on the oppositions primary wing might let Patty Jjngles Delly Conserve a bit. And Exum Thybulle back court could be seriously scary defensively.

Reply #858226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will need to be seriously scary in order to offset the zero points it scores

Reply #858227 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Yeah good call although Exum has been known to

Reply #858230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just don't try and spout bullshit and you’ll be fine nostra

Reply #858231 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Exum is perfectly capable of scoring. Just because someone isn't a scorer as such in the NBA doesnt mean they cant be a scorer in international basketball. The guy was top scorer for the junior teams, and while obviously that doesn't immediately translate to the adult game, it shows that he has some history of being able to do so. What matters is whether or not he has the tools to take and make shots, and he does. He can get at the ring. Forger what his NBA averages are when assessing his offensive abilities. Andrew Bogut was an offensive non-person for half of his NBA career but was a consistent source of points in the 2016 Olympics and following World Cup.

Reply #858237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Each of the four qualifying tournament hosts failed to qualify. Serbia, Lithuania, Canada and Croatia all gone.

These are pretty solid teams, especially at full strength. Croatia with Zubac, Saric, Bojan, Hezonja, Zizic, Bender. Serbia with Boban, Jokic, Bogdan, Bjelica.

Reply #858333 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The depth of talent world wide is huge. If Australia didn't have an easier qualification path to the Olympics there's no way we'd be there every time.

We've been there every time since 72 (I think in 68 we missed out at a pre qual tourney?). Has any other country made it every time since then? I would think not, noting the US boycott of '80

Reply #858342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't bring ya best and you end up like a few of these big teams failing to qualify.

Reply #858344 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Qualifications were effing brutal this year for a lot of teams. Medal favourites didn't even qualify. I can't help but think some of these lesser-heralded teams took the favourites by surprise. But that's the strength of international basketball.

Reply #858346 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its a slow build for Canada. To see them get 8 active NBA players is a start, and with a lot of those being younger guys, its a good sign for the future. They need to stick with it and keep them engaged though.

Fortunately RJ Barrett's dad is the team manager, so he'll likely be in the team when available, and I've seen reports that both NAW and SGA are keen to be regulars. I really think they'll break through soon

Reply #858347 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Canada are going to be a problem for many years to come. They gave us a small glimpse this time around but they'll be back at the next world cup. I have no doubt they'll be an Olympic top 8 team or better in four years. They're still learning how to make it work in FIBA ball.

Reply #858351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the number one sport in Lithuania, they will be shattered, Serbia as well its highly prized sport, probably behind soccer and the joker.

Reply #858369 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Wow Greece got smashed by Czech Republic. Well done on the Czech's doing the impossible.

Reply #858514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is shit. Really wanted NAW to ball out at the Olympics. He was Canadia's best player in the qualifiers

Reply #858580 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754