Daniel Felmingham
Years ago

Will Magnay Jackjumpers bound

Will Magnay is expected to sign with the Jackjumpers shortly which will definitely be the new teams biggest signing,I'm not sure we will get a bigger player for our first year to be honest,best of luck to him.

Topic #48862 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel, settle petal. If you think Magnay will be their biggest signing I for one will be extremely disappointed. Sit back enjoy the flight and take a chill pill. Your enthusiasm is great to see but you are are grasshopper. We don't need a new topic for every rumour you hear. I know there ain't a lot going on in Scottsdale but this is the internet and a basketball forum where everyone has an opinion just like arseholes. Everyone has one and 90% of the time most of them are wrong. Welcome aboard.

Reply #858316 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

I for one welcome Daniel Felmingham, his enthusiasm is refreshing.

If you don't like his posts scroll on by.

Saying that I do not believe Magnay will be the most significant signing and there should be more to come. The development of the Jackjumpers list as others have said is a slow burn it is still coming together.

Personally, I do not believe someone is signed until it is announced but there is nothing wrong with discussion this is an internet forum. Yep everyone has an opinion it is the posters who love to have a crack about nothing should be critiqued not those showing exuberance like Deniel.

Welcome Daniel - great to have you here.

Reply #858323 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

I understand what you saying,maybe I am going a bit overboard because in all honesty I'm hoping for even bigger signings than Magnay too.I have just become interested in this since I had to leave my job recently as an apprentice Baker and this fills in some time along with looking for a new job.Im definitely a grasshopper when it comes to basketball but hopefully the Jackjumpers will teach me more about the game, thankyou for your words and I promise I will be more patient from now on.

Reply #858324 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Scout thankyou very much for that,I'm really looking forward to seeing the Jackjumpers live this coming season.

Reply #858336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As someone else who only discovered basketball somewhat recently (about five years ago now), I love Daniel's excitement. Keep it up, and don't let the gatekeepers get you down.

And good luck on the job hunt.

Reply #858337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might be the best local signing they get, doesn't mean they won't have three elite imports alongside some solid Aussies making a strong squad.

Reply #858339 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm not sure we will get a bigger player for our first year to be honest

Bigger in terms of upper body sure but if you mean quality-wise then the team will have major issues.

Reply #858340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The names I have heard to be announced are underwhelming. The 3 imports will need to be the best in the country tbh for them not to be near the cellar. Disappointment is the word for me today.

Reply #858352 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think the version of Will Magnay that the Jumpers will get will be much better to the undercooked one that turned up for the Wildcats.

So far, they've only picked up role players, and maybe that's all that remains available? They will have to strike some luck with some returning Aussies from college, a next star, and imports to really compete in year one.

I am not confident the league has the talent for more teams and this is why i think we need to lift import restrictions.

Reply #858354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If McVeigh, Steindl and McDaniel end up being their bench guys then I think they'll have a decent roster providing their imports work well in the NBL.

Reply #858356 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Just remember it their first season, a lot of players are happy where they are, and most of the guys heading to JJ's are looking for some fresh scenery or are a bit in limbo. Will take a few years before they can pull some big local names I think, I do think Magnay is a great signing and we didn't see close to the bets of him in the Cats system.

Reply #858394 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It may happen, but maybe wait for the official word.

But yes, a fit Magnay would be a huge signing for the JJs, and could become a Franchise Player.

Unless they're picking up somebody ex Europe or NBA, there aren't many bigger names still available. Don't forget that at his best he earned the Most Improved award, and a crack at the NBA.

Reply #858400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Mcveigh will start, Magnay start, 3 imports.

Reply #858401 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Any idea of any big name imports that will be available?

Reply #858405 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

No.

Reply #858413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McDaniel more likely to start than McVeigh

Reply #858417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think so but we’ll,see.

Reply #858418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mcveigh. Steindl. Magnay. McDaniel 3 imports. 1 N/S Plus 2 more i know of is dp whoever he is they have 1 left afaik.

#underwhelming

Reply #858422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This could be a good start imo. All depends on imports coming in.

(i)/6'0 T.Dufelmeier
(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’7 C.Steindl
(i)/6’9 J.Purchase
6’10 W.Magnay/6’11 G.Gak

Reply #858424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i see magnay as a PF

Reply #858425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he trims back down, don't know the s&c coach yet.

Reply #858426 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Agree # 425 - believe Magnay plays and should play as a 4, not a 5.

The only players who have signed with other clubs that may have been a priority are Norton and McCarron (yes Kay but he stayed OS).

So context is important.

As I keep saying the development of the list is a slow burn and should be judged when all players are signed.

Reply #858437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dufelmeir and Purchase aren't under consideration. Nor is Mines.

Reply #858440 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon - #440 - have heard the same.

I'll be interested in who they get besides them as they are lighting it up in the NBL1 if that is any guide at all.

Reply #858443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#440 heard the same, going with Weeks and Krislovic, I'm hearing. Taking these two ahead of Purchase and Duffelmeir on more than one year contracts is insane, keeps the coach safe as who would want that roster. Oh my as Gaze would say.

Reply #858445 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

To be honest I would rather Dufelmeier over Weeks and Purchase over Krislovic (to be fair do not know anything about him but what I've seen of Purchase he is legit).

Think Weeks does not have the capacity to improve or ceiling that Dufelmeier has - happy to be proven wrong though.

Reply #858451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If those signings that I just called above is correct, it's absolutely unbelievable. Hopefully my information is wrong.

Reply #858457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your info isn't wrong as I alluded to earlier. I wasn't prepared to put the names to the next 2 signings. Weeks past NBL as much as he is a good guy. Krislovic don't know anything about him however in NBL1South circles Purchase and Dufelmeier are killing it. Mines is an Brisbane Aussie and has been the lynch pin of the Chargers since his arrival!
Very disapointing in Roth and his selections especially seeing he has worked out Mines (who did very well) and the other guys he sees every week at Chargers games. Dufelmeier played one of the best games I have seen for a very very long time last Friday night.

Reply #858459 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Gotta agree #459

Reply #858462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krislovic is nbl 1 player, you ask yourself Tasmanian's why so many quality players who were all linked to JJ’s did not sign. I hope I’m wrong.

Reply #858467 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon #467 selection of players and those who have said no are two separate things; I have concerns about the former not sure the latter is as big an issue.

Reply #858471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WE are getting someone else's 2nds unfortunately. Was probably always going to be the case I guess. But they have no really BIG names in their selections so far and the selection of players will diminish that have talent.
How Dufelmeier isn't selected is beyond me. Dufelmeier or Weeks!!!

Reply #858502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again it's only rumours at present, if correct it looks like they are saving all their money for imports and playing them minimum 35 minutes a game. No reasonable young player is signing up to get no game time.
Import, Weeks
McDaniel, Steindl
McVeigh?
Import, ?
Import,?
?.

Reply #858505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ffs. Get the side right rather than post a 1/2 arsed attempt as above.

3 imports
1 N/S
McDaniel
Steindl
Sejr Dean's DP
McVeigh?
Magnay?
Weeks?
Krislovic
Weeks?
DP?
A long season ahead Simon Brookhouse and Scott Roth.
I hope I have this right, as above.

Reply #858518 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Years ago

Tai Webster?

Reply #858522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than Krislovic and a dp, the sides are the same. No guarantees on NS. I do tend to agree with you though, could be a long season unless they get stud imports.

Reply #858524 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

I think the three imports will be very important for the Jackjumpers,I wonder who will be available to choose from.

Reply #858528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG(i)/6'0 J.Weeks
SG(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’7 C.Steindl
PF(i)/6’9 J.Purchase
6’10 W.Magnay/6’11 H.Froling or 6’11 A.Ogilvy

Reply #858529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could also be Hodgson.

Reply #858530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have both play harry froling at the for aj backup 5

Reply #858531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson
Froling
Ogilvy
Gak
Hayes-brown
Kahler
Asian player

Few guys around still.

Reply #858532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stith would be good, is he local yet?

Reply #858534 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

I'm sure they will have one or two big imports in mind,they have plenty of available money and not many of locals will be on particularly big money.

Reply #858539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachy Barker is killing it in nbl1, he's from Tassie isn’t he?

Reply #858541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he is. It seems the JJ's don't want Tasmanians in their own team. Purchase is meant to have or has had a trial with Phoenix.

Reply #858543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Barker was a dp with kings a few years back, certainly a better option than Weeks and is Tasmanian.

Reply #858551 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Looks like Magnay will be officially announced as a Jackjumper shortly on a one year deal,will definitely be the Jackjumpers biggest signing yet but we will need to sign three big imports if we want to be competitive in year one.

Reply #858600 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Do people know any imports that are potentially going to be available for the nbl season?

Reply #858601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casper is available but would no doubt want a huge contract

Reply #858608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't do it 2 seasons in a row for the Kings. He is past it sorry. This from a decades long Kings supporter too btw.

Reply #858618 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

@ Daniel

the main problem with this off season (and regular season) is it wasn't played during summer as normal, we are now in our off season/free agent period but the NBA draft is not till the end of the month, you have approx 200 players vying for 60 draft spots then a few extra players will get signed and invited to preseason/summer league etc. You then have all these players looking for jobs and this is usually where NBL teams find their new imports but with travel restrictions and high costs I doubt any team is travelling overseas to scout new players.
We also have the issue of being a good league but lacking in funding so most players will choose the 1-2mill Asia or Euro deal over 300K in the NBL. It's going to be a weird and long off season for all teams. ENJOY!

Reply #858619 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Loungefly thankyou for all that,it definitely sounds like it will be hard for teams to find their imports this season and I'm definitely worried about the Jackjumpers first year but I will just have to wait and see what happens

Reply #858620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A quality import will earn a lot more than $300k in the NBL. IE. Bryce Cotton on allegedly $600k.
The cost of getting here isn't high but you will have the 2 week iso hotel costs. Nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Salary cap of $1.6mill with some teams spending twice that. It's not all doom and gloom as above. However JJ's will need to find those genuine high quality imports if as guessed their projected lineup eventuates (which is pathetic)

Reply #858621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://spatialjam.com/contracttracker

Reply #858622 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

JackJumpers are looking worse than the 1988 Supercats.

Reply #858623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At present the 1988 super cats would kick their arse. I got told a story the other day that there coach is telling players the should play there as he's an ex nba coach. Lol. That’ll get them in.

Reply #858625 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Haha that's gold, thanks for sharing.

Reply #858634 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

at this stage i'm more interested in seeing how ugly they make their jerseys than worrying about who they've signed.

Reply #858636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous comment while the players they have signed are not stars none off them are hacks either they will be competitive in most games. You should remember not every club can spend like Perth do

Reply #858637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous comment while the players they have signed are not stars none off them are hacks either they will be competitive in most games. You should remember not every club can spend like Perth do

Reply #858638 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

bit precious there anon

Reply #858641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only have 1-2 local,spots to fill + 3 imports.

Reply #858642 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Ideally we wanted to see them lead with a big name local Marquee. So ok that hasn't happened, although a fit Magnay (when he signs) will be very good.
I guess we're still hoping there's somebody else "big" still to come.

But keep in mind that, either way, the imports will make or break them. 3 gun imports, a la Cairns the season before, and suddenly they're in finals contention. Spud em up, and the best local Marquee isn't going to save you.

Reply #858647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leonard The Swat Mitchell.

Reply #858649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh finally confirmed.

Reply #858675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Perthworld, I've actually got a very good ear on the ground, some of the stuff I’ll keep to myself at present because I’m hoping they are successful, but I assure you it’s not how I thought they would start.

Reply #858705 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

# Anon 705 we are so lucky to have your insightful posting, please continue to have your ear to the ground and sharing what you can.

Reply #858710 | Report this post

Charon 88  
Years ago

Justin Bibbs

Reply #858718 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Charon 88 what about Justin Bibbs?

Reply #858724 | Report this post

Charon 88  
Years ago

What do people think of Bibbs as a ball player?

Reply #858745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he is playing for Hickey who knows.

Reply #858778 | Report this post

Charon 88  
Years ago

He was signed as a replacement import for the Huskies and is unlikely to be a long term investment for them. His connection to Hickey is only through the Huskies. Wouldn't of thought that connection would affect his ability as a basketball player.

Reply #858779 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Hoping Magnay is over the line / signed gun 4/5 Australian players are very hard to find.

While he didn't stand out while in Perth his season with Brisbane before heading to the NBA was dominant.

Jackjumpers signings are solid but need a Magnay, along with strong imports to make them competitive

Reply #858780 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Will Magnay was an absolute stud just a few months ago. We were all cheering "2-way" on and full of hopes that he would be the next NBA Aussie.

He comes back to Aust for the Wildcats, performs badly, and is virtually, written off as a (local) superstar.

Why isn't he being toted as the Marquee or equivalent?

Lamar P, Scotty H, Ryan B, and others (?), all have had terrible patches when in a new environment and have come back pretty damned well, just like we know that Ryan B will, too.

Let's recognise that Will M was in a bad spot and will more than bounce back. He, like the others mentioned, is too good not to. You get some 4-man skills in a (currently) 5-man body.

Great early signing for JJ's. Daniel, be happy with that one!

Reply #858811 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Anything official on this?
Or are they saving the announcement for something special??

What role fits Magnay best?
With his size, and less than exemplary mobility, he seems best suited to the role of Centre, in the NBL. But he has successfully played at PF alongside bigger guys.
Even in Perth we often saw he him at PF, with Mooney retaining his role as Centre. Although that could have been down to injury limitations?

My point is, will Roth follow Trev's small-centre lead and start Magnay at the 5? Or would he look to reunite him with say Hodgson, and start Magnay at the 4?

Reply #859114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lean Magnay 4
Current 5

Reply #859115 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

I've heard that the Jackjumpers will announce the big signing of Magnay very shortly, definitely will be the biggest signing to date for the league's newest team.

Reply #859961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be a good signing assuming he gets over his foot issues

Reply #859967 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Good signing, could be great if he gets back to his best.
Hi statement makes it clear he views it as only a one tear deal to have another crack at the NBA, but wait and see I guess.

So who will partner him in the from court?

Reply #859973 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754