TB
Years ago

Mooney will work out with Jazz

https://twitter.com/Tjonesonthenba/status/1411762385640071170?s=19

'The Utah Jazz will work out John Mooney this week, league sources tell The Athletic. Mooney, who played collegiately at Notre Dame, played in the NBL in Australia this past season and was all-NBL. He was the only player in the league to average a double-double.'

Already signed to the Bucks for summer league, great that there is interest. Thinking it's a looking less likely we'll see him back.

Topic #48864 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I told you guys Mooney is gone.

Reply #858364 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Did you? All you Anons look and write the same so it's easier to just discount all of what you say.

Reply #858368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to him, I'd like to see him at Perth again though.

Reply #858373 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I hope he does well, but I just can't see him making an impact in the NBA, he's too small and unathletic unfortunately. He'll have no post game against the bigger bodies in the NBA, be exposed defensively and can't shoot the 3 well enough in my opinion. Hope he can prove me wrong with his work ethic an attitude alone, the guy is a legend.

Reply #858377 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I told yoose Mooney is gone"

I don't think there was anyone in Australia who didn't think he was worthy of a try-out, which is what he's got. And I genuinely wish him well.

But it's a big step from there to an actual NBA roster spot.

And if he does make it, it's another feather in the cap of the NBL: Miss getting drafted > spend a season in the NBL > get picked up by NBA team.

Reply #858388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Mooney, but seeing how much trouble Londale gave him, I think he will struggle in nba.

I guess there is hope as a rebounding stretch 4, but his shooting died off in the finals

Reply #858395 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good on him but can't see him making an NBA roster, Summer League is a long way away from the opening day roster. Played hard but got exposed without Cotton there and Landale put him to the sword in the GF.

Reply #858403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it was me who said he was gone

Reply #858420 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Nah I'm sure it was another random Anon. Lol

Reply #858423 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I also can't find proof of anons claim that Mooney is gone.
I do wish him luck however.
If he doesn't make NBA then Europe is another option.

Reply #858434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how much is Mooney worth in the nbl? would u pay him over 500,000 a season

Reply #858435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Landale won the GF battle when Perth were down with injuries, not during the season though. Let's see how Landale travels if or when he gets to poor side. They are both equal at present with different strengths.

Reply #858447 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Mooney is All NBL which obviously puts him in the top tier.

When he is within a right team with the right system, as we saw he is valuable.

When that system broke down however, his influence on the game dropped. He is not a creator of offence.

This is not to say he is useless, any team that doesn't have Landale would want Mooney in their front Court.

Reply #858449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd prefer Mooney over Landale, he’s a better defender, yes it’s a close call, you would be happy with both.

Reply #858458 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I would take Landale over Mooney because:

a) Landale is a local, freeing up an import spot.

b) Landale showed he is better even with lesser minutes.

Reply #858463 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Landale's a much better player than Mooney. Superior offensively, much better defensively, better range, better down low, just a much better player full stop.

Reply #858466 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's hard to say how he'd do in the NBA - I didn't expect Tate or especially Torrey Craig to do much in the NBA. It's just such a different brand of basketball. Offensively I think he can make it, he's got nice touch around the basket, can create his own shot, and can shoot from deep (presumably NBA 3pt range also). I think he'd be a 10 rebound a game threat in any league in the world with enough minutes. Defensively though, how well can he guard NBA-level athletes on pick and rolls? That's probably going to be the deciding factor.

Reply #858470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone realistically expected him to be back, did they?

Reply #858578 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

and Zodiac's tweaking the pipe again..

Mooney is a so much better player than Landale, in every respect, that it's not even close.
The only advantage Landale had over him was size. Moody was forced to play up a position for practically the entire season, and still outperformed Landale.
But hey, don't just take my word for it, ask those who voted for MVP and All NBL.

Oh, and whilst Mooney, despite his size disadvantage, will be trying out for the NBA, Landale will be playing in Turkey.

And whilst Mooney probably has smaller feet, he at least manages to keep them out of his mouth.

Reply #858591 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But hey, don't just take my word for it, ask those who voted for MVP
Neither received any publicly-recorded votes.

and All NBL.
They both made the first team.

Hardly a show of Mooney's dominance.

Reply #858592 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He looked really tired by the end of the season which isn't a problem that he'd encounter in the NBA but I think he could have a very good career in the NBA and make a fuck tonne of money if given a chance.

I think reading above it sounds like posters think that Mooney at 23 has regressed since the start of the season and that is complete bullshit.

Reply #858593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney got 49 vote and Landale 42, over the whole season Mooney was better.

Reply #858614 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It wasn't 49 to 42, the gap was smaller than that

Landale was just as good as Mooney during the regular season, (just played less minutes so his stats weren't as good) and proved who was better in playoffs. It wasn't quite Hakeem vs the Admiral 95 type stuff, but no one who watched the Grand Final Series was in any doubt who the premier big in the NBL was

Reply #858814 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Landale easily better offensively than Mooney. Better range of moves, and better 3 point shooter. We all saw what happened when Cotton was gone, Mooney wasn't able to create his own shot as well and his scoring dropped.

Defensively both are fairly solid without being exceptional.

Mooney could yet have a long career in Euroleague but I doubt will make NBA. Landale a better chance but no guarantee.

Reply #858816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754