D2.0
Years ago

Jesse Wagstaff re-signs with Perth

The Perth Wildcats are thrilled have re-signed veteran forward Jesse Wagstaff to a one-year deal.

https://www.wildcats.com.au/news/jesse-wagstaff-re-signs

Topic #48868 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

Great to see he still has the hunger.

Might have been different if we'd gone all the way, but clearly that record still beckons.

Not sure what this means for Bairstow, but hope he sticks around as he showed potential. Might start the season as TP

Hardly an earth-shattering move, still waiting on the big moves. Keep in mind that we go back to an 11 man roster, and they'll be hoping to sign Shervill as a DP for next season.

Reply #858397 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Genuinely surprised as I thought retirement was inevitable.

Reply #858399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looked cooked at the end of the season and really didnt step up in the finals. I think retirement will be forced on him next year if he doesnt deliver a bit more consistency.

Reply #858407 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

He was injured.

Reply #858409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol, the new Teys

Reply #858412 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

But with 6 more championships.

Reply #858414 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats team culture has obviously been a big factor in their historic decade, so keeping a guy on for a veteran presence who's been there all through it is never a bad thing. Doubt they're expecting him to have a huge role.

Reply #858416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do hope he has a well earned reduced role like Redhage had in the last couple of his seasons but their recent recruiting track record I am worried larger minutes will be needed.

Reply #858421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats should take a serious look at Keanu Pinder .. he would be a good local.pick up and someone bryce can lon the ball.to when driving to the hoop

would keep opposing defenses guessing a lil more when he is gettin in the lane

Reply #858428 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great experienced player that will do the little things to win (flop & put his body on the line lol).
He will be a great locker room and practice presence to drive and mentor the younger players.

Reply #858436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing, still as tuff as nails. Still can be relied on when healthy.

Reply #858448 | Report this post

Timeline  
Years ago

He can still be a very valuable role player with the wining intangibles

Reply #858538 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

Thought he was cooked and retirement was inevitable, in fact thought it was going to happen at the end of last season.
I guess as far as team culture goes, if it ain't broke, don’t fix it!

Reply #858549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the most likeable Wildcats of all time.

I remember being there for his 1st pre-season game at Cragie Leisure Centre along with Lisch.

That 2009-2010 run will forever be my favourite Cats' season as a spectator. Closely followed by 1995 and 2013-2014

Reply #858577 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'd say this probably cements jersey retirement for him, but if Martin and Redhage can't get theirs retired Wagstaff has no hope and we should probably be taking a few numbers down off the wall.

Reply #858579 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I can't remember if he actually passed Vlahov, or was due to. Next season he should pass JC, and get close to Redhage.

If can also win another ring, that would definitely put him over the top.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
One rumour said that they didn't want to plan anything due to covid uncertainty,
and another said that Redhage asked to wait and have his retired alongside Martin
(but then surely he's want to wait again for Wagstaff??)

Reply #858589 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I figured they were waiting on Martin to do Redhage's so they could keep putting half the jerseys either side of the championship banners, which requires an even number of retired jerseys.

I can't remember if he actually passed Vlahov, or was due to. Next season he should pass JC, and get close to Redhage.
He's already gone past all those guys. Grace is the only one currently ahead of him.

Reply #858590 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

yeah sorry, haven't been paying attention. I know it gets mentioned in commentary and in the emails, but it doesn't seem to stick. Must be getting old.

How many games has he played now?

Reply #858652 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

388. He'll become only the second Wildcat to crack 400 next season, although he's still a long way behind Grace at 482.

Vlahov played 349, so Wagstaff would have passed him in the first couple of weeks of last season...your info was a full year out of date.

Reply #858694 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cheers, yeah I thought he was sitting around 350, so yeah literally a year behind lol.
But I do now remember the promo the cats put out when he was passing Redage.

Reply #858744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754