Anonymous
Years ago

David Barlow re-signs with United

Was very valuable this year, especially when White went down. Doesn't seem to age!

Topic #48871 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing, he's just so good at what he does. Absolute professional competitor.

Reply #858454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough as nails. Deserves another year.

Reply #858455 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

On ya Dave, welcome back for another year.

With Kickert retiring he'll be the oldest player in the comp.

Reply #858456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way Barlow takes care of his body he can play till 40 if he wants to. His 3 point shot and iq isn't going anywhere.

Reply #858460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't look that old at all.

Keeps in good shape.

Reply #858461 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Good signing, similar to Wagstaff in they're both veterans with something to offer.

Reply #858464 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Barlow's got something to offer not sure about Wagstaff though.

Reply #858468 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Gee, surely there is a young player somewhere that play that role?

Old guys hanging on just reflects the lack of initiative displayed by the clubs. Get off your arses and give some younger guys a go.

Only eight NBL teams based in Aus, precious few opportunities for young players trying to establish a professional career.

Lazy and short sighted by United.

Reply #858476 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not aware of any young player who's won 5 championships and has 15 years worth of international experience, and brings the associated nous and professionalism to training every day.

Reply #858478 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Only eight NBL teams based in Aus
Nine.

Reply #858479 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Great signing. Remember Barlows breakout game when Barlow was playing for the Melbourne Tigers?

I reckon Barlow will slow down this year. Probably play less of role. Good leader for the up and coming players.

Reply #858483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl clubs in business of winning. No draft etc, no incentive to not try and win.

Reply #858489 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Wagstaff is 35, the Captain, played 21 minutes for 7.2pts, 4rbs, and 1.5ats.
Barlow gave 15.5/ 5.1/ 2.7 /1.2. He'll be 38 and is injury prone.

But sure, he's got so much more to offer. ROFL

If ever there was a case for "Should have Retired Gracefully after winning a Ring" this is it.

Reply #858490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16-20 kiwis on rosters I just noticed, nz 2 surely the next side. Could be 25 kiwis next season.

Reply #858492 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Old guys hanging on just reflects the lack of initiative displayed by the clubs. Get off your arses and give some younger guys a go.
"

Crown for dumbest comment goes to ^^

I mean, that's like saying "yeah, your old washing machine works and works very well. But buy a new one. Show some initiative! The new one may not even do the job as well. But do it!"

--

"Only eight NBL teams based in Aus, precious few opportunities for young players trying to establish a professional career."

The NBL isn't meant to be a lifeline for players to play because they want to play. it's meant to be Australia's premier basketball league. If those players aren't good enough, then they shouldn't be in the league. If some young kid can't beat Barlow out to a position, that sounds more like a THEM problem.

--

For me this is an obvious signing to make. Barlow consistently gives the team a three point threat and a long, surprisingly still athletic presence. Why trade for some kid that could turn into an absolute dud (as most kids do tend to do).

Dont worry your little socks Looking Forward, some kid will be signed to a DP position!

Reply #858493 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Keep in the mind that the likely only reason Barlow is getting another contract is because Jack White will probably miss next season due to injury. With Peatling coming onto the full roster next season too, Barlow will be squeezed out this time next year.

Reply #858496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White won't miss entire season

Reply #858497 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Yes 9 clubs based in Australia.
Do you propose an age limit since you don't like older players.

Reply #858498 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

White won't miss entire season
He did his achilles in April, it's typically a 12-month recovery, and the season will likely end in March.

Reply #858499 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Remember Barlows breakout game when Barlow was playing for the Melbourne Tigers?

You mean Sydney?

Reply #858500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gee, surely there is a young player somewhere that play that role?"

OK. I will bite, who is that person! I await your suggestions.

Reply #858501 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lol at the salty Perth comment above

I think the reference to Wagstaff being cooked was based on the GF, where Perth was decimated by injury and could've used a big Performance or 2 from their bench.

Wagstaff did nothing, and shot 36% from the field this season, his lowest since 2010.

But I reckon both of them still have something to add and would mostly be welcomed back by their respective fanbases

Reply #858507 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

I would actually argue that player's like Barlow help the development of younger forwards. Someone like Peatling was very raw, enthusiastic and competitive but also come finals time found it hard to consistently defend the block and nail his open looks. Having an ageing Barlow coming off the bench would have allowed Peatling to retain his confidence without getting smashed inside.

That’s all without considering the day to day training assistance provided by a experienced, successful veteran.

Great to see him back at United.

Reply #858558 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Re White recovery

I thought could be as low as 7 months sometimes. Damian Martin came back quickly from an Achilles- was that the exact same injury?

Reply #858602 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

David Barlow, aging like a fine wine.

Reply #858605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754